Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The US occupation in Japan presided over a social transformation that kept japan from going full blown red and now they can't even bully simple mountain peasants into drinking coca cola. Its full of sugar and fizzy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Tankbuster posted:

Lmao, can you imagine the Canadians doing limited land reform in Afghanistan so the Pathan would have material reasons to list in the army?

:(

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I go back and forth on how deliberate it was but having the antiwar candidate be an easily manipulated actor was a pretty big deal

Zelensky has ties to Ukrainian billionaire Ihor Kolomoyskyi, particularly around Servant of the People, the show that launched him to nationwide fame. After Kolomoyskyi was dismissed from Ukrainian government and his bank was confiscated by Poroshenko Kolomoyskyi funded Zelensky's run for president and basically used his media holdings to give Zelensky free coverage with a dash of election fraud.

The degree to which Zelensky was a direct puppet of Kolomoyskyi versus it being an opportunistic arrangement between a scorned oligarch and an aspiring TV clown isn't clear, but Zelensky was definitely put in office by an angry rich guy with an axe to grind. I wonder how much of Zelensky's antiwar stance was really just anti-Poroshenko, especially considering how quickly he stopped trying to do anything and hopped on the NATO train.

Hilariously Kolomoyskyi was indicted for bank fraud in the US in 2020 and immediately lost influence with Zelensky, who stripped his citizenship and nationalized his stuff in 2022 before having him arrested in 2023. Zelensky has no loyalty for those who helped him rise, which might be why he's clinging so hard to western support.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

yeah but most of them are and were in the raj anyways. Makes all the "afghanistan never conquered for a million years" thing all the funnier because the sikhs and the brits annexed the most pashtun parts of afghanistan in the 19th century and they have been part of the subcontinent ever since.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

but yeah, if you read any of the stuff on "development" and "reconstruction" in Afghanistan, whoops all grift.

There was never going to be anything that made people actually like or trust Kabul, let alone ISAF, because it was all skimmed along the way.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1781045500558418208

More evidence for the 67th brigade (one of the political enthusiast units) disbanding

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

https://x.com/kyleben3020/status/1781047237247639982

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

but yeah, if you read any of the stuff on "development" and "reconstruction" in Afghanistan, whoops all grift.

There was never going to be anything that made people actually like or trust Kabul, let alone ISAF, because it was all skimmed along the way.

This article was very informative to nearly a decade ago me who was still struggling with liberalism

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qv5pkx/millions-of-us-dollars-may-have-gone-to-ghost-schools-in-afghanistan

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

It's actually one of the more disgusting and revealing things I've ever seen, but Orange Devil is going to make fun of me if I list all of the reasons why.

Theres no bigger joke than being Dutch

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

Zelensky has no loyalty for those who helped him rise, which might be why he's clinging so hard to western support.

Wow he has a lot in common with his western support

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

This article was very informative to nearly a decade ago me who was still struggling with liberalism

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qv5pkx/millions-of-us-dollars-may-have-gone-to-ghost-schools-in-afghanistan

That's stupid. Ghosts can't participate in the labor force.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

super sweet best pal posted:

The planet sized communism ghost can

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
Speaking of color revolutions, with Georgia in the news lately:

https://twitter.com/bidetmarxman/status/1780684935499804737

This post is pissing liberals off on twitter lol

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Nix Panicus posted:

lmao that india built a few projects and because they were mostly honest most polling wanted india to continue it's efforts in afghanistan.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

super sweet best pal posted:

Wrong.

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/video/woman-wheels-dead-uncles-body-into-bank-to-get-loan/

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Nix Panicus posted:

I feel people are either discounting or just not considering the power of tradition and mythology in building national identity and propagating ideology. Khruschev rejecting Stalin took a hammer to the fundamental identity of the Soviet state and allowed liberalism to take root. If Stalin's steadfast dedication to communism, no matter what his errors in its implementation, was no longer the bedrock then the nature and future of the Soviet Union was up for grabs for any faction that could exert influence. Liberal reformers were no longer battling tradition and the legacy of the heroes of the Revolution and the Great Patriotic War, they were just another competing school of thought - and perhaps one that had been unfairly repressed so it was owed to them to be heard out!

By declaring Mao the heart of the nation even if he had made mistakes, Deng preserved the supremacy of communism and made clear that reforms would be experiments within the broader context of Maoism. Deng leveraged the mythology of Mao to keep control of the Party and maintain an ideological throughline that the Soviets had thrown away by rejecting Stalin

You can't get so far into materialism that you forget human social hierarchies are still based around belief in the validity of that system, and nurturing belief is as important to the continued existence of a hierarchy as making sure your believers are the ones with superiority in the material means to wage violence

I think this is a very good point.

And I think this is one thing that liberals seem to understand better with how they savagely defend everything and never concede that they or their heroes are or have been wrong. Maybe the fact that we have materialism makes the left less inclined to consider "the power of tradition and mythology in building national identity and propagating ideology".

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

VoicesCanBe posted:

It's an excellent post tho

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

PawParole posted:

I’m curious, have you ever read Voltaire's Bastards by John Ralston Saul

i just want to post a general thank you to the regular posters in this thread, i am way behind, but the conversations you are having are fascinating and enlightening. getting this book :unsmith:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1780517143924138170

turtle tanks are the future of tanks

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

What is a tank but a cannon mounted on an mobile armored hull?

From that, it stands to reason that adding more armored hulls makes it more of a tank

Ergo the turtle tank is the pinnacle of tank, the tankiest tank to ever tank, and as a tankie I want to hug and smooch it

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

any AP or HE would ignore the armor but, well, ukraine's supply situation

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Wow, General Millei!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Behind the Candelabra 2

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
I really think that the barn tank is an evolution of the previous Russian EW tank. The one where they just strapped all the EW equipment on top of the tank. Check it out

https://twitter.com/RandyHiggins757/status/1780900122659827740

You can see the antenna jutting out from the barn tank and I think the barn contains all the EW equipment that doesn't need to be outside (electronics, battery, generator(s), power cords, etc.).

The turtle tank may have been an assault vehicle but the barn tank is a dedicated EW vehicle.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
wait i thought the libs declared russia is completely done when they captured that abandoned EW vehicle 2 years ago

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still bet it's remote controlled and they just roll it around watching Ukrainians waste ammo on it that they can't use on civilians

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still bet it's remote controlled and they just roll it around watching Ukrainians waste ammo on it that they can't use on civilians

I don't know how you would ever get living people to drive that thing.. the way it was just rolling around the streets completely separate from any kind of support outside of maybe drones flying over-head suggests that you might be on to something.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

its kind of surprising that we don't see more stuff like this. there was that time where Russia loaded up a tank(?) with HE and sent it forward into Ukrainian positions and it seemed really effective

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Starsfan posted:

I don't know how you would ever get living people to drive that thing.. the way it was just rolling around the streets completely separate from any kind of support outside of maybe drones flying over-head suggests that you might be on to something.

Good luck automating the diving controls on a Soviet tank design.

E: I take it back, the T-72B3M got an automatic transmission

BrotherJayne has issued a correction as of 07:18 on Apr 19, 2024

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

killdozer would have dominated this battlefield

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

You can't get so far into materialism that you forget human social hierarchies are still based around belief in the validity of that system, and nurturing belief is as important to the continued existence of a hierarchy as making sure your believers are the ones with superiority in the material means to wage violence

you can and should get all the way into materialism. belief is material and is produced and reproduced by societies through control of the niche, the set of opportunities for action that are supported by the animal-environment system. we may not have a full understanding of how to scientifically describe and engineer that yet, but the capability for ruling classes to groom the niche to those affordances which support their ideology is ancient, and the western bourgeoisie have hacked what is at least a proto-scientific solution together in cybernetic capitalism. the secret speech was akin to compromising a critical load bearing element, not all that different from loving up building a bridge before we had a full understanding of bridge building.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch
lol tacoma narrows speech

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

VoicesCanBe posted:

yes, but also, no

most revolutions or insurrections will have self-interested involvement of a major foreign power. since USA #1 in terms of economic and military power for most of post ww2 history, there's US involvement everywhere, it's really not that special though

anyway,

Marzzle posted:

bimbos ftw

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

BrotherJayne posted:

Good luck automating the diving controls on a Soviet tank design.

E: I take it back, the T-72B3M got an automatic transmission

For the cost of the expertise and labor to engineer and produce a remote control system you could send in hundreds of mobiks to their death and collect their pay for months.

No matter which way you look at it, it is just not a worthwhile investment for soviet commanders.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

suck my woke dick posted:

yes, but also, no

most revolutions or insurrections will have self-interested involvement of a major foreign power. since USA #1 in terms of economic and military power for most of post ww2 history, there's US involvement everywhere, it's really not that special though

you really can't bothsides, manysides this. there is only one country that has historically and currently backs para-military right-wing coups whose entire motto is always private everything, austerity ftw. no other country has backed right-wing privatization imf paramilitary coups

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch
um the uk

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
well uk is just the 51st state so that doesnt count. its the runt of the litter so we don't acknowledge it

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

america is british

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zodium posted:

america is british

nuh uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

simpsons "russia flipping the name sign on the desk to reveal the ussr flag" but it's the united states revealing the union jack