Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zodium posted:

simpsons "russia flipping the name sign on the desk to reveal the ussr flag" but it's the united states revealing the union jack

that's not going to happen!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Xaris posted:

you really can't bothsides, manysides this. there is only one country that has historically and currently backs para-military right-wing coups whose entire motto is always private everything, austerity ftw. no other country has backed right-wing privatization imf paramilitary coups

i have bad news about the English my man. also this really isn't anything special about the US, any country that conquered its way to the top would do roughly the same, it's just that the US happened to be the big winner in recent history

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

Be glad us won, if it was russia you would be sitting in a police station basement watching nkvd doing things to your female family members before they bring in some hammers.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i say swears online posted:

that's not going to happen!!

i can see it happening as the ultimate gently caress you it wasnt me move

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

like, sponsoring coups, invading on flimsy pretenses or installing a compliant puppet to help you loot/fortify somewhere outside the imperial core is a well-documented historical trend. for the stereotypical example go back to the roman republic starting a defensive war every decade until they ran most of Europe, getting into dumb slapfights over Armenia and spending most of the official imperial era bleeding itself dry in pointless desert wars in the Middle East

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Zodium posted:

simpsons "russia flipping the name sign on the desk to reveal the ussr flag" but it's the united states revealing the union jack

No! No!!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Zodium posted:

goddamn seppos

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

It's actually one of the more disgusting and revealing things I've ever seen, but Orange Devil is going to make fun of me if I list all of the reasons why.

I absolutely am, but don’t let me bully you in not enumerating said reasons.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

haddedam posted:

For the cost of the expertise and labor to engineer and produce a remote control system you could send in hundreds of mobiks to their death and collect their pay for months.

No matter which way you look at it, it is just not a worthwhile investment for soviet commanders.

haddedam posted:

Be glad us won, if it was russia you would be sitting in a police station basement watching nkvd doing things to your female family members before they bring in some hammers.

Hey if you could never reply to me again I'd appreciate it, thanks bud

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

haddedam posted:

the baby **** is much better https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/york-county-police-officer-accused-sexually-assaulting-child/

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
also my sister got locked in a bathroom for three days by her boyfriend who got off scot free because he was immensely rich, so it doesn't really make a whole lot of loving difference to me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Starsfan posted:

I don't know how you would ever get living people to drive that thing.. the way it was just rolling around the streets completely separate from any kind of support outside of maybe drones flying over-head suggests that you might be on to something.

Is it like Advance Wars where the AI will target APCs over everything else regardless of anything

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

acab

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

He seems to be reprimanded rather than promoted for his actions which is how you know it's not russia.
Just don't google well documented russian baby rapist in Ukraine if you want to sleep ever again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

haddedam has issued a correction as of 09:23 on Apr 19, 2024

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Not doing anything to Dennis after being threatened on camera should have been a cue to take his Panama Papers loot and move to Miami, not give Azov the war they wanted.

Shoulda had Dennis shot on the spot.

Then confiscate all their artillery.

Dennis came at what was ostensibly the king and the king was like "ok then" rather than "best not miss".

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023

haddedam posted:

He seems to be reprimanded rather than promoted for his actions which is how you know it's not russia.
Just don't google well documented russian baby rapist in Ukraine if you want to sleep ever again.

gently caress off retard

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
It's good to remember there's still are troops who will march to war, ready to pick up the Marine in front's rifle when they fall (there's no ammo tho).

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Theres no bigger joke than being Dutch

Could be much worse. Could be American.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

RedSky posted:

gently caress off retard

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

haddedam posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

If you don't like cops so much why not become one yourself?
It's not like it takes any effort or qualifications to do so.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

suck my woke dick posted:

i have bad news about the English my man. also this really isn't anything special about the US, any country that conquered its way to the top would do roughly the same, it's just that the US happened to be the big winner in recent history

What are you talking about? China is not funding independent movements in California, Hawaii, Texas etc, not even any factions in Mexico. Not any Indian nations in tgd US.

China's economy is already bigger than the US in ppp term.

You argument is basically China will do what US does when its number 1, which is exactly the argument of the Washington blob.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

haddedam posted:

If you don't like cops so much why not become one yourself?
It's not like it takes any effort or qualifications to do so.

....they're not sending their best.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i would probe but we need to let these gbs posters speak their truth. they have many things to tell, and we much to learn

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Homeless Friend posted:

i would probe but we need to let these gbs posters speak their truth. they have many things to tell, and we much to learn

Maybe we could not?

Dude's a loving creep and adds nothing to the conversation

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lmao seth put placeholder but never did anything for this one

haddedam posted:

Alexey "Fagot" Ivanov, a spetznaz captain was finally caught and died a slow death bleeding out from his rear end in a top hat after hit by an Ukranian drone.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

Maybe we could not?

Dude's a loving creep and adds nothing to the conversation

lets split the baby, i dont' sixer him but i put in a ban for a gbs post lol

will it go through? place your bets folks

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Homeless Friend posted:

lmao seth put placeholder but never did anything for this one

Many such posts, etc.

I wonder how long until we see decoy turtle tanks.

Or a double barn, where the turret gets its own shell atop the hull shell, like a Maus but functional.

Or one that drops a side and just shits out like 30 drones

E:

Homeless Friend posted:

lets split the baby, i dont' sixer him but i put in a ban for a gbs post lol

My hero

E2: it's funny how quickly they stopped calling it a cope cage when they saw it work

BrotherJayne has issued a correction as of 09:54 on Apr 19, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
whos the Yi Sun Shin of this war?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Tankbuster posted:

whos the Yi Sun Shin of this war?

Is that some lovely total war reference?

Rome, Attila, Napoleon, or go home

E: AND WHERE IS MEDIEVAL 3 GODDAMMIT

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is interesting though initially the issue was suppose to be top-attack ATGMs and when it turned out that wasn't that much of an issue, it became drones.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Ardennes posted:

It is interesting though initially the issue was suppose to be top-attack ATGMs and when it turned out that wasn't that much of an issue, it became drones.

I mean, they're still an issue, when they're available.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BrotherJayne posted:

I mean, they're still an issue, when they're available.

ATGMs are a big issue, it is just particularly the Javelin actually didn't perform as expected. The big issue for the Russians was tripod mounted Ukrainian-made ATGMs which had much heavier or tandem warheads.

The Javelin when attempting a top attack mode usually just hit the top of the sides of the turret, and it generally has a small warhead for an ATGM otherwise. It isn't ideal. The NLAW is even smaller. They could theoretically still do damage close range if targeting a specific point on a tank, but they also have a minimum distance as well (there are shots of frustrated Ukrainian soldiers fighting with it).

Hamas usually when they confront Israeli tanks they hit them with pretty huge HE/thermobartic warheads on their RPGs, and they come in extreme close range to target a specific point on the tank.

Drones are generally a much bigger issue.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:08 on Apr 19, 2024

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Given the rumored failure rates on the javelin, there is clearly something wrong with the attack profile or guidance or something.

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
Probably just the drm on the javelin makes it troublesome

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BrotherJayne posted:

Given the rumored failure rates on the javelin, there is clearly something wrong with the attack profile or guidance or something.

the guidance wasn't designed to target barns, making it ineffective against soviet siege tanks

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

RedSky posted:

Probably just the drm on the javelin makes it troublesome

Or it's hard to successfully land a self guided top down fire and forget attack against a maneuvering target.

And the refrigerant issues can't have helped

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BrotherJayne posted:

I think it is an idea that looked cool at presentations but in practice it just doesn't really work as intended specially since you are usually dealing with a moving target. Also, you pretty much have to have everything lined up perfectly to get around ERA and the upper turret armor.

Also, yeah, the batteries and charging etc are just more impediments and complications.

Also, just both the Javelin and NLAW are just pretty awkward to fire versus just an RPG (a Javelin is 49 pounds ready to fire). It is true it lighter than a tripod mounted system but usually that is also going to be more stable and able to fire a more advanced/heavier warhead.

I do think the Russians do still fear Ukrainian ATGMs to a degree but at the same time they clearly also have been much more aggressive with their armor recently.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:26 on Apr 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

And you have to lock it on, and additionally it decides where it's going to try to hit (being self guided and lacking and straight ballistic attack profile)