Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I'm not interested unless they adapt Il Gattopardo or Fosca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I'm not interested unless they adapt Il Gattopardo or Fosca.

I feel like the only anime or Japanese thing we can get FF to like is FFTA which is just the Wars of the Roses

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Didn't they make an anime of Pillars of the Earth?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

You're probably thinking of the video game

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Idlib_Chicken/status/1783564647938891874

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

fits my needs posted:

https://x.com/RT_com/status/1783613203127193637

Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has revealed he once got up-close and personal with a 'strategic nuclear warhead' and actually hugged it

https://on.rt.com/csbt

I wanna go drinking with Uncle Luka, sounds like that would be a blast

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

the shedgohad

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lostconfused posted:

An anime about some blonde piece of poo poo killing monarchy to build a liberal democracy on top of it?

I'm not sure you understand what FF is about.

should be balanced out by the blatant homosex among handsome uniformed men

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1783482028295381270

USA going to find a way to run out of USAF munitions despite fighting a proxy land war in Ukraine.

Running out of spare Patriot missiles when we keep supporting Israel seems like a bad move for any of those idiots occupying Syria or Iraq

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

How do u see anything from the battle barn?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

sum posted:

Russia seized a foothold in Krasnohorivka today thanks to a shed tank and what appear to be some shed BMPs
https://twitter.com/squatsons/status/1783519175362662450

This thing appears to hit two or three mines right at the start of the video and just keeps going with no apparent damage.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How do u see anything from the battle barn?

friendly drones have made the battlefield properly 3rd person

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Isentropy posted:

I feel like the only anime or Japanese thing we can get FF to like is FFTA which is just the Wars of the Roses

Surely he would be into Ran

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I've been reading Wages of Destruction, which was recommended either here or the WW3 thread, and it's amazing. I've also started highlighting parts I think are cool/interesting, and it's really improved my reading too, thanks gradenko and FF.

Anyway, the reason I mention that is that the author talks about lend-lease and how FDR talked about upping production to 30000 aircraft, and how many trucks and tanks and cars they were sending across the Atlantic.

It's very funny to compare that to the current US which only talks about the money and never any concrete war material (outside of like, dozens of jets , which they may not even send).

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

bring back the Maus

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1783482028295381270

USA going to find a way to run out of USAF munitions despite fighting a proxy land war in Ukraine.

Bradleys, HIMARS ammo, St Javelins, 155mm artillery...all the good stuff. Ukraine should definitely start winning now

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Scallop Eyes posted:

I've been reading Wages of Destruction, which was recommended either here or the WW3 thread, and it's amazing. I've also started highlighting parts I think are cool/interesting, and it's really improved my reading too, thanks gradenko and FF.

Anyway, the reason I mention that is that the author talks about lend-lease and how FDR talked about upping production to 30000 aircraft, and how many trucks and tanks and cars they were sending across the Atlantic.

It's very funny to compare that to the current US which only talks about the money and never any concrete war material (outside of like, dozens of jets , which they may not even send).

It would be interesting to see an attempt to build something basic like trucks on a large scale. If I recall Humvee production is a mess.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
https://apnews.com/article/ukraine-russia-war-abrams-tanks-19d71475d427875653a2130063a8fb7a

Ukraine pulls US-provided Abrams tanks from the front lines over Russian drone threats

quote:

Ukraine has sidelined U.S.-provided Abrams M1A1 battle tanks for now in its fight against Russia, in part because Russian drone warfare has made it too difficult for them to operate without detection or coming under attack, two U.S. military officials told The Associated Press.

The U.S. agreed to send 31 Abrams to Ukraine in January 2023 after an aggressive monthslong campaign by Kyiv arguing that the tanks, which cost about $10 million apiece, were vital to its ability to breach Russian lines.

But the battlefield has changed substantially since then, notably by the ubiquitous use of Russian surveillance drones and hunter-killer drones. Those weapons have made it more difficult for Ukraine to protect the tanks when they are quickly detected and hunted by Russian drones or rounds.

Five of the 31 tanks have already been lost to Russian attacks.

The proliferation of drones on the Ukrainian battlefield means “there isn’t open ground that you can just drive across without fear of detection,” a senior defense official told reporters Thursday.

[....]

For now, the tanks have been moved from the front lines, and the U.S. will work with the Ukrainians to reset tactics, said Joint Chiefs of Staff Vice Chairman Adm. Christopher Grady and a third defense official who confirmed the move on the condition of anonymity.

“When you think about the way the fight has evolved, massed armor in an environment where unmanned aerial systems are ubiquitous can be at risk,” Grady told the AP in an interview this week, adding that tanks are still important.

“Now, there is a way to do it,” he said. “We’ll work with our Ukrainian partners, and other partners on the ground, to help them think through how they might use that, in that kind of changed environment now, where everything is seen immediately.”

[....]

While drones are a significant threat, the Ukrainians also have not adopted tactics that could have made the tanks more effective, one of the U.S. defense officials said.

After announcing it would provide Ukraine the Abrams tanks in January 2023, the U.S. began training Ukrainians at Grafenwoehr Army base in Germany that spring on how to maintain and operate them. They also taught the Ukrainians how to use them in combined arms warfare — where the tanks operate as part of a system of advancing armored forces, coordinating movements with overhead offensive fires, infantry troops and air assets.

As the spring progressed and Ukraine’s highly anticipated counteroffensive stalled, shifting from tank training in Germany to getting Abrams on the battlefield was seen as an imperative to breach fortified Russian lines. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced on his Telegram channel in September that the Abrams had arrived in Ukraine.

Since then, however, Ukraine has only employed them in a limited fashion and has not made combined arms warfare part of its operations, the defense official said.

During its recent withdrawal from Avdiivka, a city in eastern Ukraine that was the focus of intense fighting for months, several tanks were lost to Russian attacks, the official said.

The Russians used a shed

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hilarious how its fine for the german tanks to be sent to cross the mine fields but dont you dare show abrams or challengers getting blown up.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

we have talked about western weapons getting hyped up here, some calling them wonder waffe etc. We have heard about HIMARS and Patriot a lot of course.

How about the weapons that got hyped up a lot and were supposedly sent that we never heard about again?

The Phoenix Ghost drone -- never saw a picture of this thing or any claimed kills. It was supposedly designed just for the Ukrainian battlefield as a superior anti tank Switchblade and they claimed to have made at least a thousand.

Brimstone Missile -- did this ever get used ? Britain said they sent a bunch. Hyped up as basically a hunter killer NLOS hellfire swarming missile! In the current situation when Russia is actually deploying armor in significant numbers at times, you would think we'd hear a lot about it stopping tanks at avdiika or something

Apaches -- The UK said they were gonna send Ukraine four apaches. Never heard about them again. The challengers did make it to ukraone but apparently had no ammo lol

Any others im missing?

we can add the glsdb to the list

https://twitter.com/John_A_Ridge/status/1783514363841630309

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Hilarious how its fine for the german tanks to be sent to cross the mine fields but dont you dare show abrams or challengers getting blown up.

German tanks are used to being driven into Russian minefields

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Good add, we never did hear about glsdb again and now we know why

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

It would be interesting to see an attempt to build something basic like trucks on a large scale. If I recall Humvee production is a mess.

I don't know how much of a clusterfuck the HEMTT was but it's wiki page mention the marines using a different truck which is so loving on brand and probably a good way to turn everything into a potential clusterfuck when you somehow always have to produce multiple different things to fulfill the same job.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Officer Sandvich posted:

https://apnews.com/article/ukraine-russia-war-abrams-tanks-19d71475d427875653a2130063a8fb7a

Ukraine pulls US-provided Abrams tanks from the front lines over Russian drone threats

The Russians used a shed

i was thinking the sheds must be absolute poo poo for visibility, but if there's 3 billion drones flying over the battlefield anyway, surely you can get a decent video feed from at least one drone in

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Officer Sandvich posted:

The Russians used a shed
lol when ukraine starts adding "cope-cages" to their tanks and libs start jacking off over how innovative it is

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Xaris posted:

lol when ukraine starts adding "cope-cages" to their tanks and libs start jacking off over how innovative it is

We're past the cope cage and into the battle-shed era now.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
thats at least a tier III upgrade on the ork tech tree. they get a hovercraft loaded with sidewinder missiles

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I realize that's the plan, but if we can dial into material reality for a moment, how do they suppose their plan to cut off trade from the country that makes everything for the world is going to work?

If you stop the flow of raw materials to that workshop there will be less to block coming back out. If America loses the ability to shut China in behind the island chains, it also loses the ability to constrain its imports of those raw materials

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Officer Sandvich posted:

The Russians used a shed

lol

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

Spergin Morlock posted:

If you stop the flow of raw materials to that workshop there will be less to block coming back out. If America loses the ability to shut China in behind the island chains, it also loses the ability to constrain its imports of those raw materials
china is connected to russia, without isolating china from both Russia and India that was always a delusional idea

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

FirstnameLastname posted:

china is connected to russia, without isolating china from both Russia and India that was always a delusional idea

Indeed lol

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

just pull a macarthur and create a nuclear buffer zone between the two, bing bong so shrimple

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

fits my needs posted:

https://x.com/RT_com/status/1783613203127193637

Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has revealed he once got up-close and personal with a 'strategic nuclear warhead' and actually hugged it

https://on.rt.com/csbt

holding the halves of the demon core on either side of my nutsack while putin and medvedev stand to the side, cry laughing

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

supersnowman posted:

I don't know how much of a clusterfuck the HEMTT was but it's wiki page mention the marines using a different truck which is so loving on brand and probably a good way to turn everything into a potential clusterfuck when you somehow always have to produce multiple different things to fulfill the same job.

Do either have civilian analogues? It's not like painting a Studebaker green anymore. If those factories haven't been kept open...

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Not enough grift inovation on a truck. They would end up contracting it to like, Tesla, and we would see a Cybertruck with a machinegun bolted on top

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Do either have civilian analogues? It's not like painting a Studebaker green anymore. If those factories haven't been kept open...

It's still under production (the marines one isn't) but I doubt it has a civilian market for this type of truck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Expanded_Mobility_Tactical_Truck

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

so what’s the solution for these having absolute poo poo visibility? does the rest of the squad have to warn the shed if there’s a threat not directly in front of it

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Thanks!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Scallop Eyes posted:

love to get more people into reading

and yeah it's very funny the way people like to argue about how "THE SOVIETS DIDN'T WIN WW2 BECAUSE LOOK AT ALL THE STUFF THEY GOT FROM LEND-LEASE!!!" and then you compare that to what the USA is sending today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

love to get more people into reading
typical communist encourages literacy :rolleyes: