Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so what’s the solution for these having absolute poo poo visibility? does the rest of the squad have to warn the shed if there’s a threat not directly in front of it

Maybe they should mount a periscope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so what’s the solution for these having absolute poo poo visibility? does the rest of the squad have to warn the shed if there’s a threat not directly in front of it

Bolt some GoPros on or have a drone fly overhead with a video feed that the commander is looking at.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Might be as "simple" as just look forward and push. Any man portable weapon would use a HEAT warhead to try and defeat it but the shed act as spaced armor against it with the molten jet being wasted in empty space between the shed and the tank. A kinetic penetrator like an APFSDS would defeat it but nobody will manage to get a tank on the side without being spotted and swarmed by drones before the shed-tank come close. So you end up with the commander, gunner and driver all looking forward through the only hole in the shed.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Use a divining rod.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i wonder how the construction of that German tank factory in Ukraine is going. must be close to complete by now surely

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Why would you want to put production in the one country that can get bombed

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
tank warfare currently undergoing carcinization

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Isentropy posted:

I feel like the only anime or Japanese thing we can get FF to like is FFTA which is just the Wars of the Roses

Remember they made a game that's Wars of the Roses but with Yu-Gi-Oh

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Once they are used to battle barns, all vehicles will look the same, and then largely hollow shells can be used to overwhelm opposing forces with more targets than they can engage.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Putting an armored shell on a heavy chassis to defeat enemy firepower has never worked before, so I see no reason for it to work now

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

My memory is bad and my comprehension is terrible, so help me out

Out of the $60 billion $20 billion is going to replenish US supplies already sent, meaning new orders for the already maxed out MIC to be delivered TBD

$14 billion would be in credit for Ukraine to spend on weapons at the previously mentioned maxed out MIC, delivery TBD

$15 billion goes to the US, to pay for 'training' and CIA slush funds in eastern Europe

$8 billion goes to keep the government of Ukraine running for a few more months because economic activity has cratered

and the remaining ~$3 billion goes to 'economic development' and defense, which seems like code for more CIA slush funds

It seems a lot like the US isn't committing to giving Ukraine much by way of physical stuff that actually exists now but is telling them to get in line at the US MIC and wait a few short years for new wonder waffen to be produced for them

E: What did that Czech shell initiative end up digging up? A few hundred thousand shells?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I haven't been keeping up so sorry if it's been covered but

It's finally happening, they're going to try and conscript Ukrainians abroad l

quote:

https://www.ft.com/content/dd1d3074-61af-4edb-9ed4-a3530158623e

The defence ministers of Poland and Lithuania have pledged to help Ukraine repatriate its men who are of fighting age but have left the country to avoid being sent to the battlefield.

Kyiv needs to raise hundreds of thousands of men for its army, which is struggling to contain Russia’s offensive in eastern Ukraine. But the number of volunteers has dwindled and the government has recently adopted a new law to expand mobilisation, including for those abroad.

Poland is the main haven for people escaping the conflict and there are an estimated 200,000 Ukrainian men in the country, according to Eurostat and the Polish central bank.

Ukraine earlier this month suspended consular services for men of military age living abroad, including in Poland, making it harder for them to extend their stay.

“Ukrainian citizens have obligations towards the state,” Poland’s defence minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz said on Wednesday. “We have long suggested that we are also able to help the Ukrainian side in ensuring that those who are obliged to perform military service go to Ukraine.”

He said those Ukrainian nationals would be transported and their right to stay in Poland not renewed. Asked whether Poland would agree to transport them back to Ukraine, he said: “Anything is possible.”

According to martial law imposed by Ukrainian authorities in February 2022 when Russia launched its full-scale invasion, most men between the ages of 18 and 60 are banned from leaving the country and are obliged to register with military recruitment offices.

Lithuania on Thursday said it was ready to take steps to return Ukrainians of fighting age. Defence minister Laurynas Kasčiūnas excluded deportation but said various options could be considered in co-ordination with Poland.

“It is possible [to restrict] social benefits, work permits, documents, there are options that I’ve also heard from the Polish side,” he said. “I think it is the correct way.”

Ukrainian foreign minister Dmytro Kuleba said “staying abroad does not release a citizen from his duties towards his homeland”.

“If anyone thinks that some will fight far away on the front and risk their lives for the country, and others will stay abroad and use the services of the state, they are wrong,” Kuleba said.

Under the newly implemented mobilisation law, while Ukrainians of military age will not automatically receive draft notices, their access to consular services will be contingent on their registration for military service. Without the necessary registration, they will be unable to obtain passports.

Ukrainians in Poland queued for hours to receive their documents earlier this week, but consulate workers were unable to hand them out.

The restrictions triggered a backlash among Ukrainians abroad, with many accusing the government of infringing upon constitutional and human rights.

“It would be better to create training centres in Poland, where professional training could be provided for those who fear being sent to the front unprepared, like cannon fodder! That would be more useful!” one Ukrainian national wrote on his embassy’s Facebook page.

Poland’s defence minister said he understood Poles who were outraged by the sight of young Ukrainians of military age “in hotels and cafés”. He expressed solidarity with Ukrainians fighting on the front and their grievances against compatriots who left the country.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Can't the Ukrainians who don't like the new law just take over the consulate in a mini-coup? Just oust the current ambassador and say they're the ambassadors now and will honor the wishes of any Ukrainian who wants to stay abroad. It's not like Ukraine can spare any soldiers to contest them.

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
Russia should start issuing passports for Ukrainians at its embassies lol

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Bar Crow posted:

An explosion rips off my shed revealing a second shed underneath. The entire frontline groans at my bullshit.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Weka posted:

I haven't been keeping up so sorry if it's been covered but

It's finally happening, they're going to try and conscript Ukrainians abroad l

Lol what 'duties'

The social contract was torn up when everyone adopted neoliberalism. Societies that allow even a single person to go homeless should not demand you die for them.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

"would you introduce me to you mother?"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

My memory is bad and my comprehension is terrible, so help me out

Out of the $60 billion $20 billion is going to replenish US supplies already sent, meaning new orders for the already maxed out MIC to be delivered TBD

If MIC is maxed out fighting a seasonal Vietnam, we're boned in a full scale war

I did see something the other day saying Sweden was uprating their artillery shell infrastructure to double production

In that same video I saw humans pouring liquid uncured explosive into the shells, which, holy poo poo this industry is stuck in the 1920s

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Nix Panicus posted:

E: What did that Czech shell initiative end up digging up? A few hundred thousand shells?

However many they're saying deliveries won't start until July or August

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again
https://www.kyivpost.com/post/31697

"At their congress in Strasbourg, Austria, the Parliament adopted a resolution “On Russia’s undemocratic presidential elections and their illegitimate extension to the occupied territories,” specifying that the election was “neither free nor fair,” by a vote of 493-11, with 18 abstaining. The resolution means that the EU does not officially recognize Putin as Russia’s president, and it called on the international community to declare the same."

What the heck is the EU posturing so hard right now for? Between this and the theft of reserves we are going for a speedrun on how to destroy the legitimacy of demcracy. More useless sanctions, more training symbolic division, more IOU's? The only escalation on the table is sending troops into armed conflict with Russia.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

by process of elimination i would like to thank the EU for recognizing the CPRF as the ruling party of Russia

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sanlav posted:

"At their congress in Strasbourg, Austria, the Parliament adopted a resolution “On Russia’s undemocratic presidential elections and their illegitimate extension to the occupied territories,” specifying that the election was “neither free nor fair,” by a vote of 493-11, with 18 abstaining. The resolution means that the EU does not officially recognize Putin as Russia’s president, and it called on the international community to declare the same."

What the heck is the EU posturing so hard right now for? Between this and the theft of reserves we are going for a speedrun on how to destroy the legitimacy of demcracy. More useless sanctions, more training symbolic division, more IOU's? The only escalation on the table is sending troops into armed conflict with Russia.

Things aren't going well and they are throwing whatever they can into the mix even if it is self-defeating.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again
https://twitter.com/nocomment/status/1783123625597391120

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sanlav posted:

Strasbourg, Austria? FF's music starts playing

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

haha just realized zelenskyy natively speaks Russian and has been taking Ukranian language lessons to get better SINCE TAKING OFFICE. what the gently caress

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Also the EU parliament isn't really in the business of officially recognizing foreign heads of state, but I guess they can post about their feelings?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The dove had bird flu, crashing into the ground before bursting into flames due to microplastic content

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Ardennes posted:

Things aren't going well and they are throwing whatever they can into the mix even if it is self-defeating.

How do the people running Germany, England, and France's economies feel about shutting off energy from the east permanently? How stable is Europe gonna be 5 years down the road buying american LNG and saudi oil at absurd premiums.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sanlav posted:

How do the people running Germany, England, and France's economies feel about shutting off energy from the east permanently? How stable is Europe gonna be 5 years down the road buying american LNG and saudi oil at absurd premiums.

Admittedly they are still getting gas and petrochemical products from the Russians, they are just very quiet about it or going through intermediaries. It is pretty much ditto for European imports into Russia.

The expectation is just the Russians will fold, give a peace deal that is favorable to the West, and the West will start screwing around with them again.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sanlav posted:

Not sure they are thinking about this in material terms. And in social terms the left got pretty much stomped and they have some kind of nazi clown to take over and channel all the discontent in brutalizing brown people, so what's the problem?

he's right

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

haha just realized zelenskyy natively speaks Russian and has been taking Ukranian language lessons to get better SINCE TAKING OFFICE. what the gently caress

Yeah a bunch of Ukrainians speak Russian as their first language, particularly in the east. Ukraine's language laws are a very real attempt at the kind of ethnic genocide the west keeps accusing China of doing, except nobody in the west gives a poo poo

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Sanlav posted:

navalny declared rightful posthumous president of russia

all seized russian assets directed to his estate

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The outpouring of grief for Navalny, a man considerably worse than Putin, was such a wild thing. People are so stupid

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Sanlav posted:

Those type of people are trained not to think beyond a quarter

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Nix Panicus posted:

The outpouring of grief for Navalny, a man considerably worse than Putin, was such a wild thing. People are so stupid

It went to show that the West honestly had no real issue with Putin's politics beyond his geopolitical alignment, they were easily willing to back a far-right xenophobe has long as they could get some more influence on the streets of Moscow.

It also showed that Navalny's supporters were either completely clueless (some were) or liberals who really didn't give a poo poo as long as they thought they could get something out of it.

Also, yeah most Ukrainians know Russia and until 2014 or so, had no problem speaking it regularly in public even if they had learned Ukrainian at home. It wasn't even just in the eastern areas or the Donbass but everything up to Galicia. Even Galicians over 40 were probably conversational in Russian.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

Yeah a bunch of Ukrainians speak Russian as their first language, particularly in the east. Ukraine's language laws are a very real attempt at the kind of ethnic genocide the west keeps accusing China of doing, except nobody in the west gives a poo poo

like, even the guy presiding over it doesn't have native fluency. lmao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Spergin Morlock posted:

like, even the guy presiding over it doesn't have native fluency. lmao

He is from central Ukraine as well which shows how much Ukrainian is being spoken. If anything Ukrainian was kind of a more of a rural thing even though it has protected rights under the Soviet Union and of course after 1991.

Zelensky probably learned Ukrainian in school, and promptly forgot it because everyone spoke Russian until recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Its simple, L'viv is mordor