Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Russia is losing 30,000 soldiers a month, but because life is cheap in the orient they can keep it up for years

Also I have it on good authority that Russia is running out of shells and tanks, for real this time, not like all the other times theyve been running out over the last two years. By 2025, 2026 at the latest they'll be done.

Ukraine just needs to hold on a little longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Seems to me now that Ukraine's got more ammo coming in they should be less stingy with what they have and use it to make some gains. If they can't do that I expect a full refund.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Officer Sandvich posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/26/world/europe/russia-ukraine-war.html

In Western Ukraine, a Community Wrestles With Patriotism or Survival

quote:

In the earliest days of the war, before the news of the first combat deaths arrived, people in communities across Ukraine flocked to draft offices. Among them was Khodoriv, whose families have a long history of fighting for Ukraine’s independence and being executed or sent into exile during violent Soviet repressions of its nationalist movement in the last century.

This is a famous small town and I was wondering where I'd heard of it before.

The Wooden Synagogue of Chodorow
https://www.yadvashem.org/articles/general/wooden-synagogue-of-chodorow.html

quote:

A thorough discussion of each and every artistic gem in the synagogue of Chodorow would require an entire volume. We must remember that there were once hundreds of wooden synagogue in eastern Europe, done in the same richly decorated tradition of carvings and paintings as Chodorow, each synagogue with its own story, each with its own history of the communities who loved and cherished them for centuries.

When the Nazis invaded Poland in 1939, one of their first soul-destroying acts against Jews was to strike at the very heart of their community, at its pride, history, and focal point. The synagogue was often the first victim - desecrated, set aflame, and destroyed in front of the shocked Jewish population and, in some horrible cases, with members of the community forced inside of them. Except for a pitiful handful of dilapidated husks in a few remote villages in Lithuania and Latvia, there is almost no trace that they ever existed.

https://muse.jhu.edu/pub/3/oa_monograph/chapter/3209349

quote:

Chodorów is located 53 kilometers (33 miles) south- southeast of Lwów. According to the population census of 1931, 2,216 Jews were living in Chodorów.1 By the middle of 1941, allowing for an annual increase of 9 to 10 persons per 1,000, there were probably around 2,500 Jews in the town. German troops occupied Chodorów on July 2, 1941. During the first weeks of the occupation, the Germans and their Ukrainian collaborators abused Jews in the streets, robbed their homes, and burned down the Great Synagogue. Initially, a German military commandant’s offi ce (Ortskommandantur) administered the town. On August 1, 1941, power was transferred to a German civil administration. Chodorów was incorporated into Kreis Stryj, within Distrikt Galizien. Regierungsrat Dr. Wiktor von Dewitz was appointed as Kreishauptmann in Stryj from 1941 to 1944. A number of Landkommissare served under the Kreishauptmann. The Landkommissar in Chodorów was Karl Hohlmann. Along with a local Ukrainian police unit, a German Gendarmerie post was also established in Chodorów. The German Gendarmerie served under the Gendarmerie in Stryj. The members of these units took an active part in the anti-Jewish Akions conducted in the town.
On February 5, 1943, the German police assisted by the Ukrainian police murdered all the remaining Jewish laborers in Chodorów near the local sugar plant.

freedom fighting citizens of Khodoriv being violently oppressed for being Ukrainian nationalists, you say :thunk:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cerebral Bore posted:

did poland actually buy 250 abrams tanks or did they buy a pinky swear promise that they will get 250 abrams tanks at some point in the future, just trust me bro

Star Citizen rear end war economy

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Weird how hosed up the history of everything around Lviv gets

Its probably fine now

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/27/elite-force-bucks-trend-of-ukrainian-losses-on-eastern-front

during this difficult time, at least the woke lefty rag of record can perform self-care by sucking off nazis

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Shogi posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/27/elite-force-bucks-trend-of-ukrainian-losses-on-eastern-front

during this difficult time, at least the woke lefty rag of record can perform self-care by sucking off nazis

loving elite losers who can't even get close to the 1:100 k/d in avdiivka

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
left clicking on the azov tatt man i have just enough time to see the silver dragon around his nameplate before he completes his defence and tactically retreats to gaol in orgrimmar

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The fact that 2 political units recently cut and ran, one leading to the collapse of an entire front, doesn't instill confidence.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
A few billion more oughta do it

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Shogi posted:

They dropped the lefty poo poo when Corbyn became labour leader and had to put money where their mouth is. They instead became full on radical centrists.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
US intelligence believes Putin probably didn't order Navalny to be killed, Wall Street Journal reports

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/us-intelligence-believes-putin-probably-didnt-order-navalny-be-killed-wsj-2024-04-27/

quote:

LONDON, April 27 (Reuters) - U.S. intelligence agencies have determined that Russian President Vladimir Putin probably didn't order opposition politician Alexei Navalny killed at an Arctic prison camp in February, the Wall Street Journal reported on Saturday.
Navalny, 47 when he died, was Putin's fiercest domestic critic. His allies, branded extremists by the authorities, accused Putin of having him murdered and have said they will provide proof to back their allegation.
The Kremlin has denied any state involvement. Last month, Putin called Navalny's demise "sad" and said he had been ready to hand the jailed politician over to the West in a prisoner exchange provided Navalny never return to Russia. Navalny's allies said such talks had been under way.
The Journal, citing unnamed people familiar with the matter, said on Saturday that U.S. intelligence agencies had concluded that Putin probably didn't order Navalny to be killed in February.

Not even US intelligence can be trusted to not spread russian disinformation

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

that just means they did it instead :v:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Someone should do something about the tankie US intelligence community.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
hell yeah cloak and dagger bullshit everywhere all the time lets go

500% increase in helicopter accidents

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Endman posted:

that just means they did it instead :v:

I remember the Ukrainian intelligence guy saying Navalny probably just died on his own

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i remember the british newspapers went with secret KGB heart punch

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

US intelligence believes Putin probably didn't order Navalny to be killed, Wall Street Journal reports

As a person with a brain, this is truly surprising

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/28630 on Feb 26

quote:

Kyrylo Budanov, chief of the Main Directorate of Intelligence (HUR) of Ukraine’s Ministry of Defense has said that Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny died of a blood clot.

“I may disappoint you, but as far as we know, he indeed died as a result of a blood clot. And this has been more or less confirmed,” Budanov told journalists on the sidelines at the “Ukraine. Year of 2024” forum on Sunday.

"This wasn't sourced from the internet, but, unfortunately, natural [causes],” he added.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
e. got this out of my system and can now go back to not posting about stuff that makes me mad

vyelkin has issued a correction as of 14:25 on Apr 27, 2024

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Remembering the past is propaganda. There is only the truth of the current moment, and that truth is that Azov was just a plucky band of people who really loved their country

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nix Panicus posted:

Remembering the past is propaganda. There is only the truth of the current moment, and that truth is that Azov was just a plucky band of people who really loved their country

i fell out of a coconut tree

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

They dropped the lefty poo poo when Corbyn became labour leader and had to put money where their mouth is. They instead became full on radical centrists.

I'd tie it to when they got raided in 2014 over the Snowden papers and Assange, there was a noticeable shift in their coverage of anything anti-imperialist / anti-war. Although Corbyn was in 2015 so it's the same timeframe.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Nix Panicus posted:

The joke being that Ukraine attacked the language of their ethnic Russian population and is currently trying to scrub their language and culture from Ukraine, at least legally. Also the president of Ukraine is a native Russian speaker. If you believe in the sanctity of your mother tongue as something worth defending, you have no choice but to support Russia against the genocidal Ukrainians.
obliged to remind people there were also over ten thousand casualties and millions of refugees in eastern ukraine from nazi shelling, in addition to the culture war legislation

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I can not say enough that I love that you read Fire-Power and then Stopping the Panzers. That only leaves The Long Left Flank before you start trying to source Coffee Crisp and Second Cup in Manilla.

I finished The Long Left Flank tonight. What a poignant ending.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Regarde Aduck posted:

Its probably fine now

fineLwow Now

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Nix Panicus posted:

While nation states have a bad rep (thanks, Adolf), on a broader level it's also a consideration IMO that nations like Ukraine have their own language and cultural heritage that people think is worth protecting. I'm an old, out-of-shape goon so I wouldn't be much use in a fight, but I'd fight to save my family or, in the abstract, my language. Finland is a pretty small country compared to Ukraine, population-wise, too, so I would hope people here felt proud enough about our language and what little culture we have, and I would assume many Ukrainians feel the same about their own home. I realize I am chatting with my posting buddies here in a language that isn't actually mine, but I get the impression that since the US is comprised of all sorts of "national identities" and languages and so forth, it might be easy to forget that nations have (contrived and mostly bull-poo poo, but still) reasons for existing for the sake of their people. If General Ripper went ape-poo poo and nuked the physical location of Finland into glass, that wouldn't erase Finnish language from the world, or even Finnish culture. But the people I'd trust the most with making sure Finland keeps on truckin' on are, well, I guess Finnish politicians who are mostly awful but at least they know where their bread is buttered. And all the other fine folk who work for their communities.

I can understand the general mentality of FYGM in the sense that war is awful and no one wants to fight in one except for people with mental problems, but I wouldn't leave Finland if we were attacked. My grandfather had to escape his home due to Stalin's war, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I hope this isn't too chauvinistic, but I think there are things worth defending in this world. Even if you die in the process.

SYQ.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Nix Panicus posted:

I would hope people here felt proud enough about our language and what little culture we have,

i used to know a finnish guy who told me that he thought finnish was stupid and that he wished he never learned it, would have preferred to be raised only speaking english so he wouldn't have an accent lol. so theres at least one person who would not.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

lobster shirt posted:

i used to know a finnish guy who told me that he thought finnish was stupid and that he wished he never learned it, would have preferred to be raised only speaking english so he wouldn't have an accent lol. so theres at least one person who would not.

lol. what's his account?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Citing sources is gauche

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Shogi posted:

It's hilarious that they're still publishing the official Ukrainian casualty figures as if they were credible. Even with the counteroffensive failing, I guess it's still out-of-bounds to ask how it's possible that they've mobilized so many people in to the army, no one is allowed to demobilize, but the army doesn't get any bigger.

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
this kind of defeatism would play into Putler's hands

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

sum posted:

It's hilarious that they're still publishing the official Ukrainian casualty figures as if they were credible. Even with the counteroffensive failing, I guess it's still out-of-bounds to ask how it's possible that they've mobilized so many people in to the army, no one is allowed to demobilize, but the army doesn't get any bigger.

More recently there were round ups in Kiev city and Lvov, you can tell they are getting down there as well. I really wouldn't be surprised if they drop age to 18 and also including some women by this summer.

It can't be helping morale, since the political units, Lvov, and Kiev were all suppose not to be "touched." The populations of Kiev and Lvov don't give a gently caress, at a certain point where are all the guerilla fighters suppose to come from?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Nix Panicus posted:

thanks, Adolf

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

vyelkin posted:

e. got this out of my system and can now go back to not posting about stuff that makes me mad

come back vyelkin we have fun here too

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

lobster shirt posted:

I love their accent

It gets ruined once they start talking politics but its ftw until that point

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Nix Panicus posted:

... but I get the impression that since the US is comprised of all sorts of "national identities" and languages and so forth, it might be easy to forget that nations have (contrived and mostly bull-poo poo, but still) reasons for existing for the sake of their people. ...

America needs to be denazified too.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Regarde Aduck posted:

I love their accent

It gets ruined once they start talking politics but its ftw until that point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-UUi6UzcTE

It's like the creaking and groaning of an old wooden ship, or an Ent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Not So Fast posted:

I'd tie it to when they got raided in 2014 over the Snowden papers and Assange, there was a noticeable shift in their coverage of anything anti-imperialist / anti-war. Although Corbyn was in 2015 so it's the same timeframe.

they were always a bit skills wallety when it came down to it. but they became entirely useless after drilling their hard drives for MI5, and then led the corbyn's disgusting antisemitism charge with like 20 times as many articles about it as the daily mail or smth. their niche is 'helpless' whining but if there's a chance their taxes will go up by 1% tha real graun comes out