Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Regarde Aduck posted:

I love their accent

It gets ruined once they start talking politics but its ftw until that point

VELCOM TOO THEE HUUDRAWLIC PRRRESS CHANNUL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
as someone that can't roll my r's i'm often in awe

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i dated a russian woman who couldn't roll her rs and she would joke that i spoke russian better than her because of that

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Dudes rock.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Cerebral Bore posted:

did poland actually buy 250 abrams tanks or did they buy a pinky swear promise that they will get 250 abrams tanks at some point in the future, just trust me bro

Poland did buy them, and some have already been delivered.

Polish procurement has been crazy, which is why in 2022 we had 30% inflation, followed by 15ish % in 2023.

Poland has bought, off the top of my head:

-A bunch of F-35s at $140 million each (US price is quoted as $80m)
-Two French satellites
-1000 Polish IFVs at a price of about $9m each
-A whole bunch of Leopard 2s, which will not be delivered because they aren't made anymore
-So Poland signed a contract for a lot of South Korean K2s, but with a genuinely extensively modified variant that will be made in Poland
-But this will take a long time so they also bought a lot of stock K2s
-They then bought a lot of new production Abrams, which will take many many years before they're even produced
-So they bought a lot of used, post-USMC Abrams, which were going to take a long time to deliver
-So they bought a bunch of Challenger 2s as a stopgap, but I don't think any actually got delivered
-An absurd amount of HIMARS, I think about 400. Lockheed send "thanks, also lol lmao, we make a handful a year"
-Because of the above, 200ish South Korean Chunmoo MLRS. I support this just because Chunmoo is fun to say
-Dozens of Polish 155mm howitzers (the ones that have been exploding in Ukraine because the BAE turret is not compatible with standard NATO propellant charges)
-Hundreds of South Korean 155mm howitzers
-Hundreds of South Korean Redback IFVs

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure there was more.

I would sincerely like if prices of basic goods did not increase literally every time I go to get groceries.

For context, the Life Under Communism Museum in Warsaw claims that 12% inflation that happened once proves the failure of communism, and claims the widespread riots nearly brought down the government. Under capitalism, however, 30% is something everyone just shrugs and accepts as normal and actually Putin's fault. It is similar to how the museum claims 50 people killed by the government over 20 years proves savage brutality and oppression inherent to communism, but in 2020 300-400 deaths a week were actually not significant and proof that Covid is not big deal.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 17:11 on Apr 27, 2024

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Ardennes posted:

More recently there were round ups in Kiev city and Lvov, you can tell they are getting down there as well. I really wouldn't be surprised if they drop age to 18 and also including some women by this summer.

It can't be helping morale, since the political units, Lvov, and Kiev were all suppose not to be "touched." The populations of Kiev and Lvov don't give a gently caress, at a certain point where are all the guerilla fighters suppose to come from?

Oh they care a lot, especially in Lvov where they are diehard supporters for continued war.

They just want other people to fight it, not them.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

this is like an Ace Combat air force but with tanks lol

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Russian Telegram sources are claiming that a battalion-sized group of Ukrainian soldiers (~hundreds of troops) was encircled west of Berdychi, about 5 km south of Ocheretyne. Unless I'm forgetting something, this might be the largest Ukrainian maneuver unit to surrender in the open field.
https://twitter.com/GeromanAT/status/1784153523296289080

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

VoicesCanBe posted:

Oh they care a lot, especially in Lvov where they are diehard supporters for continued war.

They just want other people to fight it, not them.

I mean, if they wanted to fight they could, hell they are having their rights stripped away, and they still aren't showing up. There is a big difference between some drinking songs or whatever and actually going out there.

The response from abroad has been extremely negative on top of that, and it seems like it is just going to have the result of forcing Ukrainians out of Poland and the Baltic states (which, I guess was the idea).

----------

Admittedly, that battalion probably doesn't have hundreds of dudes left it in, but it is significant the commander is giving up. Pretty much everything across the Donbass front is a mess, and units are either getting overrun or encircled. If the Ukrainians don't build a defensive line to the north, Niu York and everything south of Chavis Yar is going to go down as well.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:39 on Apr 27, 2024

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Ardennes posted:

I mean, if they wanted to fight they could, hell they are having their rights stripped away, and they still aren't showing up. There is a big difference between some drinking songs or whatever and actually going out there.

The response from abroad has been extremely negative on top of that, and it seems like it is just going to have the result of forcing Ukrainians out of Poland and the Baltic states (which, I guess was the idea).

Yeah this was my point - that they're worthy of contempt. The diehard supporters I'm talking about are totally gungho for the war and refusing negotiations so long as they're not the ones who have to risk their lives.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

sum posted:

Russian Telegram sources are claiming that a battalion-sized group of Ukrainian soldiers (~hundreds of troops) was encircled west of Berdychi, about 5 km south of Ocheretyne. Unless I'm forgetting something, this might be the largest Ukrainian maneuver unit to surrender in the open field.
https://twitter.com/GeromanAT/status/1784153523296289080

The 115th is the brigade that fled from Ocheretyne.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Niu York!?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, that battalion probably doesn't have hundreds of dudes left it in, but it is significant the commander is giving up. Pretty much everything across the Donbass front is a mess, and units are either getting overrun or encircled. If the Ukrainians don't build a defensive line to the north, Niu York and everything south of Chavis Yar is going to go down as well.

Why does Ukraine have a New York?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

OhFunny posted:

Are they political or regular?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

i dated a russian woman who couldn't roll her rs and she would joke that i spoke russian better than her because of that

you dated a cia agent

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Finally the Red Alert 2 universe is real!

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

sum posted:

they are probably very under strengthed

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OhFunny posted:

Yeah, there are pretty much bits of pieces left along with some other brigades. The 47th was called back in but it was probably also understrength and low on vehicles and ammo and it hasn't been able to do much.

Elements of the 3rd assault brigade were send over to Krasnohorivka but it seems like that area is falling as well without too much serious resistance.

-----

Ukraine not only has its own New York, but was usually one of the quietest areas on the line (until recently), if the Russian keep pushing north, the Ukrainians are going to have to surrender along line of fortifications and attempt to retreat.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Nix Panicus posted:

Are they political or regular?

Appear to be regular. Raised shortly after the war began.

Militaryland says placing solo blame on the 115th is unfair. That they were assigned to hold the right flank without tanks or artillery. That Ukrainian command had assigned the 59th Territorial Defense Battalion to hold the town with the 425th Assault Battalion Skala guarding the left flank.

If that's true, then it's command failure for stretching that defense so thin at such an important point. Then again, we have no idea what the manpower and material situation is for the Ukrainian. That might have been all they could send.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I accept that Ukraine has a New York, but *why* do they have a New York? Did the Dutch plant a flag? Cultural exchange? Someone just decided they liked how it sounded?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Suryiak is also reporting that the Russians are already pushing north out of Ocheretyne.

https://twitter.com/Suriyakmaps/status/1784165700841431475

Coming days/weeks will tell if this is just aiming to shore up the flanks and widen the salient or if they have the steam to unhinge the entire defensive line.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love how consistently terrible those maps have been

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

motherfuck if niu york is taken it’s gonna be a lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OhFunny posted:

Militaryland says placing solo blame on the 115th is unfair. That they were assigned to hold the right flank without tanks or artillery. That Ukrainian command had assigned the 59th Territorial Defense Battalion to hold the town with the 425th Assault Battalion Skala guarding the left flank.

If that's true, then it's command failure for stretching that defense so thin at such an important point. Then again, we have no idea what the manpower and material situation is for the Ukrainian. That might have been all they could send.

I mean, the Ukrainians have been saying all the pushes happening are "mysterious" or "confusing" or at least the situation is "unclear" but...it actually seems like a pretty clear situation.

It is just these units send in after the fall of Avdiivka have been worn down to a nub and there isn't a tremendous amount that can be done about it without new brigades. Moreover, it really seems a lot of already under-strength brigades have been strung out into unsupported battalions, with maybe 100-200 soldiers trying to defend a village without much support. It is a piecemeal defense.

Also, it is clear the Russians aren't on their last legs, or even the strength they were at the start of the invasion, but if anything, they are considerably stronger with both the ability to advance across the line and pressure the Ukrainians while building forces around Kharkov.

The Ukrainians best shot would be to build new defensive lines; the problem is the larger the "bloom" spreads, the longer that line is going to have to be.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:15 on Apr 27, 2024

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Nix Panicus posted:

I accept that Ukraine has a New York, but *why* do they have a New York? Did the Dutch plant a flag? Cultural exchange? Someone just decided they liked how it sounded?

It was just a tiny village plagued with both the dumbest people in the entire soviet union and an excessive amounts of plague carrying rats so in a stroke of genius Stalin renamed the place to "New York" so instead of having to find solutions to problems they could just say it's part of their culture

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

OhFunny posted:

Ukraine is behind on tank shed technology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York,_Ukraine

quote:

Founding and name origin
The origin of the name of the town remains a mystery that is the subject of many local legends. It could come from an entrepreneur or local dignitary, who would have settled from the United States or who would have had as a partner an American citizen from New York City.[6] Another explanation refers to the city of Jork, currently in northern Germany, where Mennonite settlers may have come from. The local historian Viktor Kovalov thus believes that the name of the locality may have corresponded to "Neu Jork" (new Jork) and evolved over time. It may also be the result of a transliteration error from the Latin alphabet to the Cyrillic alphabet.[7] However, the establishment of the Mennonites officially dates back to 1889, whereas the name Niu-York predates it. Another track recalls that names with a famous evocation were frequent in the region in the 19th century. Historical maps show a "Swiss farm" near Druzhkivka or a hamlet called "Carthage" around Soledar.[8] Also, historian Viktor Kovalov does not rule out the possibility of a joke.[6]

New York first appeared on maps in 1846.[9] The first official mention of the name of New York (Нью-Йорк) dates back to 1859 as one of the results of the census of the Yekaterinoslav Governorate, then part of the Russian Empire. The 1859 census confirmed that the locality then had 13 households, 45 men, 40 women and a factory.[9]

This is wildly unsatisfying, but I choose to believe time travelling Mennonites named it New Jork

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 18:19 on Apr 27, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dead gay comedy forums posted:

motherfuck if niu york is taken it’s gonna be a lol

I'm waiting for another Josh Lyman offensive

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

speng31b posted:

you dated a cia agent

i was in russia at the time so more likely an fsb agent

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

The origin of the name of the town remains a mystery that is the subject of many local legends. It could come from an entrepreneur or local dignitary, who would have settled from the United States or who would have had as a partner an American citizen from New York City.[6] Another explanation refers to the city of Jork, currently in northern Germany, where Mennonite settlers may have come from. The local historian Viktor Kovalov thus believes that the name of the locality may have corresponded to "Neu Jork" (new Jork) and evolved over time. It may also be the result of a transliteration error from the Latin alphabet to the Cyrillic alphabet.[7] However, the establishment of the Mennonites officially dates back to 1889, whereas the name Niu-York predates it. Another track recalls that names with a famous evocation were frequent in the region in the 19th century. Historical maps show a "Swiss farm" near Druzhkivka or a hamlet called "Carthage" around Soledar.[8] Also, historian Viktor Kovalov does not rule out the possibility of a joke.[6]

New York first appeared on maps in 1846.[9] The first official mention of the name of New York (Нью-Йорк) dates back to 1859 as one of the results of the census of the Yekaterinoslav Governorate, then part of the Russian Empire. The 1859 census confirmed that the locality then had 13 households, 45 men, 40 women and a factory.[9]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My son's name is also Jork

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Ardennes posted:

I mean, the Ukrainians have been saying all the pushes happening are "mysterious" or "confusing" or at least the situation is "unclear" but...it actually seems like a pretty clear situation.

It is just these units send in after the fall of Avdiivka have been worn down to a nub and there isn't a tremendous amount that can be done about it without new brigades. Moreover, it really seems a lot of already under-strength brigades have been strung out into unsupported battalions, with maybe 100-200 soldiers trying to defend a village without much support. It is a piecemeal defense.

Also, it is clear the Russians aren't on their last legs, or even the strength they were at the start of the invasion, but if anything, they are considerably stronger with both the ability to advance across the line and pressure the Ukrainians while building forces around Kharkov.

The Ukrainians best shot would be to build new defensive lines; the problem is the larger the "bloom" spreads, the longer that line is going to have to be.

There is also the small problem of where you are digging it. We recently got videos of excavation equipment being hit and the front is moving slowly but still moving. The Suvorikin line was dug while the Ukrainians weren't pushing in that direction so the Russian could draw a plan and dig according to it. The Ukrainians now can't really do that because they need fortification on the active part of the frontline.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

A new comedy post to be taken with some salt of course as it could just be telegram BS.

https://t.me/DDGeopolitics/108646

quote:

🇺🇦 The most bizarre thing happened in Odessa (Region) today.

Ukrainian channels posted how they used a Yak-52 training aircraft to shoot down a Russian "Orlan-10" recon drone.

Turns out they shot down a Ukrainian UJ-22 drone, while the Yak-52 was also fired upon from the ground but got lucky.

So long story short... Ukrainians used an old training plane to shoot down a Ukrainian drone, while almost shooting down their own training plane.

The Russian "Orlan-10" continues to fly like nothing happened.

Note: Some sources suggest it was a different Ukrainian drone, than the UJ-22.

🔴 @DDGeopolitics

Gotta at least give them some points for the effort if it's true.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Ardennes posted:

A force density of 100-200 men per km would only be 40k-80k men on the line across the entire eastern front, against 500k-600k Russian troops. I don't think that's possible, unless they're keeping the vast majority of their forces away from zero. I guess it's possible that Russia has developed tactics to advance on a drone-dominated battlefield, biting off the isolated forward outposts that make up the front edge of the defense and blocking them off from the main body of the defense with FPVs and artillery.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I can not say enough that I love that you read Fire-Power and then Stopping the Panzers. That only leaves The Long Left Flank before you start trying to source Coffee Crisp and Second Cup in Manilla.

Which order should I read those books in?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

supersnowman posted:

A new comedy post to be taken with some salt of course as it could just be telegram BS.

https://t.me/DDGeopolitics/108646

Gotta at least give them some points for the effort if it's true.

There were Russian Hind-Ds hunting down drones last year when Ukraine spent their stockpile in support of the Great Counteroffensive.

It's not that far-fetched for slow planes and helicopters to go and try gunning drones down.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Danann posted:

There were Russian Hind-Ds hunting down drones last year when Ukraine spent their stockpile in support of the Great Counteroffensive.

It's not that far-fetched for slow planes and helicopters to go and try gunning drones down.

I was more commenting on the fact they might have shot their own loving drone and also allegedly shot at their own plane too.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
[Ukraine] Escape from Niu York

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

gradenko_2000 posted:

I finished The Long Left Flank tonight. What a poignant ending.

:canada:

AmyL posted:

Which order should I read those books in?

I suppose the most useful to understanding Ukraine and why the Russians can just chill while barrages chew up the Ukrainian Army would be Fire-Power.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

supersnowman posted:

There is also the small problem of where you are digging it. We recently got videos of excavation equipment being hit and the front is moving slowly but still moving. The Suvorikin line was dug while the Ukrainians weren't pushing in that direction so the Russian could draw a plan and dig according to it. The Ukrainians now can't really do that because they need fortification on the active part of the frontline.

They are attempting to do so in areas, but it really seems like the best they are going to do is build a couple of strong points and hope for the best. It is unclear what forces are in the Niu York area (sorry guys it is going to come up now) but the last reports were territorial militia up there which have never faired well during this war.

sum posted:

A force density of 100-200 men per km would only be 40k-80k men on the line across the entire eastern front, against 500k-600k Russian troops. I don't think that's possible, unless they're keeping the vast majority of their forces away from zero. I guess it's possible that Russia has developed tactics to advance on a drone-dominated battlefield, biting off the isolated forward outposts that make up the front edge of the defense and blocking them off from the main body of the defense with FPVs and artillery.

It may not be that far off looking at the pressure the Ukrainians are taking, but when you start counting the brigades being engaged, it isn't tremendous amounts of men and usually they don't last very long. The Russians are probably keeping the vast majority of forces off the line or off rotation; there isn't a strong reason to be there. If you look at the discussion of causalities, the pre-war army, the type of forces the Ukrainians need, they clearly are running low. In addition, even if brigades are out there they are often ground down to a nub.

The AFU is certainly larger than that, but honestly, I think a lot of it is just back-of-the line support personnel with some territorial militia.

The Russians, if they really wanted to probably could move a lot quicker but it just doesn't gain them anything. If anything they are making the advances they have been making just because there is very little to no resistance.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:30 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Someone translate “Hundred Days” into Ukrainian and deliver an urgent message to Kiev.