Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

didn't read

**Thanks for all you do Majorian, I'm not afraid to say that our Mods do excellent work and this thread will be better off going forward!

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Nov 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

honestly this new healthy thread environment is one where I could really see a lot of our fallen comrades prospering in, let sexpig run free!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I know what will spice up this thread, I'm going to get Al-Saqr going

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1588107211837956096

speculation from Russian telegram channels that Russia's desertion of Kherson is imminent!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Majorian posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1588297119957254144

*Dave laugh* Ah heh heh heh! Hey Paul can I get some of that Zelensky music?!

Paul: Haaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

his shirt says "I'm Ukrainian" in english? is that to help the average viewer understand who he is?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Azathoth posted:

I'm old enough to remember the Iraq War runup and so much of what is happening in the media feels just like that.

yeah but unlike the Iraq War runup nobody you are likely to ever meet IRL gives a poo poo about this war or your opinion on the war one way or the other. It's only a thing for the terminally online NAFO crowd and certain elements in the media.

**what Raskolnikov said

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

6,614 posts behind on the previous thread, any actually interesting war developments between then and now?

Next big shoe to drop is speculated to be either Ukraine attempting to capture Kherson or Russia trying to go in the back door through Belarus with some new army group that is apparently being gathered up there.

Literally nothing of interest has happened since Lyman swapped hands... a month ago? feels like it's been forever.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Majorian posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1588345283477266434

Oooh, love that confidence...from a government that isn't Ukraine's, and has some rather perverse incentives wrapped up in all of this!

every time the Ukrainians gear up for one of these all out assaults to retake a position where the Russians have months to prepare it goes horribly wrong for Ukraine.. The Ukrainians themselves seem to recognize this, as the last attempt on Kherson was half assed while they had the Kharkiv operation in their back pocket.

I expect Ukraine to do something symbolic around Kherson but if they are going to make a real move I expect it to be somewhere else in the country. Maybe in the center against Donetsk? something unexpected.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

CODChimera posted:

if Russia loses Kherson should they just give up?

yes but only because it would make most people on this forum happy

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Russians already think that. The Ukrainian army is running on nato equipment rn, and of course the various volunteers are ex-military.

I think you mean the Ukrainian army is running on Russian equipment rn :smuggo:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

speng31b posted:

I've noticed that a few of the more psychotic pro Ukrainian accounts that love to tweet about how many collaborators they murdered before breakfast have started on pretty heavy with the line that any civilian who evacuated Kherson is a collaborator to be killed, so, that sucks

and if you were following along last night the civilians who remain in Kherson are actually Russian soldiers dressed in civilian clothing, so obviously you gotta eliminate those guys too

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Majorian posted:

You're making a difference!:patriot:

Also lol

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1588576334783320064

OH MY GOD, POLAND ADMIT IT!!!

people have been asking how Ukraine is ever going to pay off the war debt.. well it's no longer debt if Ukraine no longer exists :) Just get Poland to officially annex the Ukrainian state and then release them to independence the following day, bingo bango Ukraine has a clean slate

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/man-killed-defending-ukrainian-city-from-russian-forces-1.6644569

quote:

Farmer Joseph Hildebrand, 33, served two tours in Afghanistan before volunteering on front lines in Ukraine
Joseph Hildebrand, 33, and others in the military unit he was volunteering for were killed over the weekend during a combat mission, the family members said. They said surviving soldiers called them, and are currently guarding the bodies with their Ukrainian colleagues in hostile territory until arrangements can be made to extract them.
Jake said he was told his brother was one of a dozen soldiers — some Ukrainian, some from South America and elsewhere — who went on a mission near the besieged eastern Ukrainian city of Bakhmut in the Donetsk region. According to news reports, Russian forces have intensified attacks on the city from multiple directions in the past several days. The remaining 12,000 residents have been without electricity, gas and running water for more than two months.

It's unclear how Joseph Hildebrand died, but Jake was told nine of the 12 men on the mission were killed.

I think this is the first news story we're gotten of a Canadian dying in Ukraine, it seems like there's been a flood of these lately (re: western volunteers / mercenaries dying in battle). I don't know if the Ukrainians are changing up the way they are deploying the mercenaries or if Russia is intensifying their attacks with the newly mobilized troops, but it does seem like conditions on the front are changing in the last couple weeks.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

If Russia thinks that it can't hold Kherson, even with all the extra troops that they've called up, the military situation must be a lot grimmer than they've admitted to. Like other posters have said, I can't believe they'd casually abandon the city, after expending so much time and effort to capture it in the 1st place. Is this them settling into easily defensible positions for the winter and trying to wait the Ukrainians out?

I mean they didn't spend all that much time or energy capturing it in the first place, they kind of just strolled in on like day 3 of the conflict because the Ukrainian army was so dysfunctional at the start of the conflict.

Russias tendency to abandon positions without really fighting for them seems to be annoying for people in this thread, but I can't really say it's the wrong decision if it was a disadvantaged spot to defend. Russias obviously got to pick their battles and I'm sure there will be similar withdrawals in the future as they work towards whatever their goals are.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

you know come to think of it I can't help but notice that the great reversal for Russia's fortunes happened right around the time that Calibanibal flipped into being Ukraines #1 supporter.. what did he know that we did not?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

lol it's funny how the Russians are so cowardly that not even the Ukrainians with their "Russians are degenerate mongrel people who can't stand and fight against real men" propaganda can't believe it

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

CODChimera posted:

im surprised they were caught

sounds like they were investigated and caught back in 2021, now that these groups are the heroes of Ukraine you can bet that they'll be moving around a bit more freely in the future.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

So if the Russians bomb just enough power generation infrastructure to still allow the Ukrainians a base level of heating to prevent unnecessary civilian deaths but remove all excess capacity from the system would that be a morally justifiable bombing? And if the Ukrainians decide to use that remaining capacity to further the war instead of saving civilian lives would that be a war crime?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Myt understanding is that there is good evidence that the Japanese leaders (correctly) deduced that they had a grace period from further atomic bombings, as their assessment was that the Americans did not have the capacity to produce more than the 2 bombs that had already been dropped and they determined that future bombs would most likely be at least 6 to 9 months off.

The Japanese had already been trying to surrender to the Americans for months prior to the bombings, counting on the good will of the Soviets (who they had mostly been relatively "friendly" with) to aid in negotiating something short of unconditional surrender - a surrender that would preserve the Japanese institutions (especially the emperor and his family) and some portion of their territories.

It seems pretty obvious that when the Soviets turned on the Japanese and invaded Manchuria the situation became hopeless to the Japanese while at the same time inducing the Americans to convey some assurances that the Japanese would be treated generously if they did surrender. The Americans themselves were looking to limit Soviet expansion in the area and certainly didn't want a scenario where they broke into mainland Japan through the back door.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Marzzle posted:

you laugh but if america was ever invaded by land you'd be glad the KKK was trained in artillery warfare

I'm pretty sure the Nazis are the rear blocking detachments and the secret police who swoop in to make the viral posts on social media that the NAFO freaks live for. The poor fucks on the front lines (the half of them that are still alive) probably don't have particularly strong political ideology outside of "I hope I last through the week" at this point.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

yeah poo poo sucks... I was thinking the other day about why anyone who accepted aid from the Russians would even take the chance of remaining in Kherson as it was turned over to the Ukrainians but I guess it's true that not everyone can just pull up and leave at an instance. Worth keeping in mind that the primary cost to Russia of these retreats is the loss in innocent human lives from the populations living there.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Also the fact that they can’t retake those territories even if they wipe out ukranian infrastructure because they are both completely disinterested in taking the casualties it would require and also too incompetent to pull it off. retaking Kherson and even making it to Nikolaev is pretty much completely out of Russias ability at this point.

who knows what will seem possible or not possible a year from now. What Russia's capabilities are in this instance depends on both their resources and Ukraine's.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

The idea of Russian Orcs fouling the soil of Ukraine with their corpses is deeply upsetting to me, a true Ukrainian patriot

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

WaryWarren posted:

What ever happened to that hillbilly boomer from Texas? He was palling around with the Russian army back in February/March. I hope he's settled down in a dacha somewhere and sired a few half-breed Orclings. :)

would be happy to get an update on this guy as well as the three irish dudes who were stealing donation money by cos-playing soldiers in Ukraine

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Anarchist Florida Man seems to have been shook and needed to reaffirm to himself his internalized beliefs.

https://youtu.be/fyaG64rGWoU

NATO has no aggressive intentions because they passed up on a "golden" opportunity to enter a nuclear conflict with Russia and Russia knew that NATO would pass up on an oppurtunity to go to war which is why they launched the missile at Poland to blow up that grain silo so therefore Russia was lying when they said the reason they invaded Ukraine was to prevent Ukraine joining a hostile military alliance against them

The logic is unbreakable

***Wait a second in one breath he says that it's obvious that the US / NATO would conjure up an excuse to go to war with someone out of thin air (AKA Iraq) because they are incredibly craven and opportunistic but then later he says that instigating wars or being aggressive has never been in NATO's playbook and Russia is making that up

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 01:53 on Nov 23, 2022

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Ardennes posted:

I guess every time there isn’t active offensives is a new armistice.

It's kind of hard to tell when there is and isn't active offensives because there is basically 0 reporting on Russian troop movements and concentrations and activity along the front line other than when Ukraine declares that an offensive is happening to retake a city.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Also was the Russian missile to Poland thing fake or wrong?

just based on the type of missiles (from the photographs of the shrapnel located at the site of the explosion) and the location of the grain silo it seems almost certain that the missiles were fired by Ukrainian anti air defenses in an attempt to interfere with a much longer range incoming Russian missile.

The reason people are suggesting that is because it is standard practice for this type of air defenses to fire two missiles (the chance of hitting your target increases significantly) so the result makes sense from the perspective of two missiles fired in parallel that were meant to intercept another missile at a certain point but missed. If the missiles were fired by Russia but ended up going off target it is incredibly unlikely that both "defective" missiles would land in the same spot. Furthermore these types of missiles have very short ranges and the point at which they landed in Poland is out of range from basically anywhere the Russians could have conceivably fired them from.

**The most pathetic display of obstinacy from Ukraine has since manifested where their own allies are getting annoyed because Ukraine is refusing to acknowledge that it was their missile. Ukraine's allies are telling them "We know it was you, nobody cares about 2 dead farmers in a grain silo in Poland, why aren't you even just admitting it privately to us?". In my opinion Ukraine knows they would face 0 backlash from admitting the truth because the entirety of the "western world" is ride or die with them, but they have spent almost a year now creating this laughable picture of the Ukrainian super man and a military with future technology that never makes mistakes and they are afraid that the bubble will pop if people start discussing how their equipment is largely ineffective at doing the things they claim it can do and their troops are half trained conscripts and uncontrollable western mercenaries at this point.

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 00:53 on Nov 25, 2022

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

speng31b posted:

it was a russian missile in the same sense as russian attacks are targeting the russian energy grid

soviet stuff all over

but Russian weapons are also defending the Ukrainian energy grid! so it's not all bad!

Russia: a land of contrasts

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Best Friends posted:

publicly believing Russia didn’t blow up their own pipeline directly underneath NATO because they want to reduce their own diplomatic leverage (they’re madmen!) is still I believe officially an insane view to have. it’s like saying saddam didn’t bayonet incubators in 1991.

I had an interesting exchange about this with my boss where the pipeline bombing came up and then we spent a minute or two trying to sound eachother out on who we thought blew up the pipeline..

"Well I think It's obvious who blew it up"
"Yeah me too"
"sooo who do you think did it?"
"... who do you think did it?"
"only one possibility makes any sense right?"
"yeah.. I think so.."
"so... who do you think blew up the pipeline"
"The Americans"
"WHAT? I think it was Russia"

I don't talk about this poo poo at the office anymore lol

**and yeah the proffered explanation on how / why Russia did it is that Putin is insane enough to do anything but also an evil genius who is pulling all the strings

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 07:29 on Nov 25, 2022

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

so we're just supposed to ignore that they picked the in-game Stalker faction that is called Svoboda? The same name as the (former I guess) Neo Nazi party in Ukraine?

maybe the air-soft enthusiasts were pro-Ukrainian saboteurs.. who knows. Shouldn't have killed the poor lads either way but I suppose there is a good chance there were just socially isolated and unbalanced people like the typical airsoft enthusiasts

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

FishBulbia posted:

pretty hosed up that those irish people would call themselves REPUBLICANS dont they know republicans want to ban abortion

I understand that it is a word for Freedom (it says so in the article), my point was more along the lines that the fact that these guys were well known airsoft people doesn't mean they were identified by the Russian authorities and arrested for that reason.

I just thought it was a funny coincidence that the article explains away the symbol as being not connected to a neo-Nazi Ukrainian political movement when what it actually is happens to share a name with another neo Nazi Ukrainian political movement.

And who knows, maybe the Volya people chose that symbol for their banner too lol

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

lol love it or leave it losers, try going on your own if you don't like the way the US does things :)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Maybe someone in Europe should have thought for a second before diving head first into these entirely predictable outcomes

oh well nevertheless

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Russian soldiers don't have weapons, coats or even socks? sound like sitting ducks to me, this should be wrapped up by Christmas no?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If you wanna be Big Israel you gotta have a genocide to justify your genocide. The Ukr genius here is that making it up is way easier than actually being genocided.

you gotta work with the tools you got

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

plus if they left the nuclear power plant they would lose all plausible deniability for their ongoing attempts to shell and destroy it

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

the pro-russian side keeps getting excited about bakhmut, and apparently the russians have been inching forward south of the town. the wagner guy claims that what they're trying to do is to maximise ukrainian casualties - since ukraine really wants to defend bakhmut, the russians can force them into unfavourable engagements. this does not seem to me like a good strategy and could be an excuse for slow progress, but it's a claim being made.

I mean the Ukrainian's whole M.O. this entire war has been throwing good lives after bad positions, they seem to be absolutely unwilling to give up any towns or positions no matter how strategically unimportant. Remember when they launched those counter attacks to re-take Severodonetsk that had virtually no chance of succeeding and all they managed to do in the week before the attacks were abandoned was get more of their troops stranded in the city?

The word we've been getting all along is that the reason for the slow Russian progress is because Ukraine is leveraging their huge manpower advantage to cycle in fresh troops after the previous ones holding the positions are used up by the Russian artillery and bombs, I guess the debate is whether Russia being able to inflict 3x or 4x the casualties on Ukraine as they suffer is likely to produce anything in the way of results in the next years.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

... why not aim to strengthen relations with Russia to avoid a war if you don't want it? what is the point of strengthening relations with your "friends" who will just let you bleed to death while not providing any real help when the time comes the same as they are doing to Ukraine.

I feel like i'm taking crazy pills

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

There was a news article earlier about how the Ukrainians don't have any Russian PoW's to exchange (could be because the Ukrainian army is murdering them on the occasions when they've tried to surrender) whereas there are over 5,000 Ukrainians still in Russian prisons, so Ukraine was going to be looking to round up civilians to try and trade for their soldiers.. I guess this is the result of those efforts.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I sure hope that those poor people get some relief from this awful regime that is looking to extinguish their existence in their homeland :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

indigi posted:

this definitely happened

what they won't tell you is that they crashed the car into a crowd of Ukrainian soldiers, killing dozens.