Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Lostconfused posted:

Organic programming capability

tbf i think having someone who knows computer in the standard complement of a formation of a certain size is probably a good thing in the modern day and age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

fair play this is pretty good propaganda

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

To the point of retiling floors with mosaics, repainting murals, it's a whole thing.

More relevant to this thread, the King's Cypher needs to be applied to all M777s, and C3 and LG1 105mm guns, which is a workshop level modification.

isn't the bloke going to die soon anyway

seems like something it should be straightforward to economise

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm seeing more and more ground captured, are we at the "hundred days" stage?

i don't think so. i think where we're at now is something like the nivelles offensive without the incredibly prohibitive casualties for the attacking side - russia's expending steel instead of flesh for their advance. they have the formula, and are making a formulaic series of attacks for formulaic gains. the important part is that the russians really do seem to have found a way to turn up the pressure in certain sectors beyond what the ukrainians can contain even when they deploy their heavy reserve units. this creates a big problem for the ukrainians, because those units are completely critical to their ability to actually do much of anything and if the russians can keep them in place and attrit them away, they have to be reconstituted from scratch and increasingly hard-to-come-by donations. if those units are permanently destroyed, the russians can start exploiting local breakthroughs &c with much less fear. at that point, all else equal, we're in the hundred days.

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

When this started and Ukraine started handing out AKs to everyone who asked, I went through the literature on the Volksturm and Werewolf. The problem is that when a nation is totally destroyed, and the Political types are killed, there's not much enthusiasm to keep things going. The political ideology and government are discredited, and people have no appetite for war.

The recent rehabilitation of "Forest Brothers", the UPA, and CIA backed groups in Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria is 90% nationalist romanticism. The groups had no support among the population who were quick to call the Red Army when they showed up, more like bandits or Japanese holdouts than a real resistance. There's some literature on how the myth of the French Resistance influenced the CIA in the Cold War, without realizing, for obvious reasons that it was built on fiction (the resistance were mostly communists, collaboration, active or passive, was more widespread than anyone in France would acknowledge postwar). NATO then concluded they could set up resistance networks anywhere, just by caching weapons, the human dimension was completely ignored. The later realization that they needed Political types led to GLADIO.

To loop back around, in the spring of 2022, the Political guys were still alive and hadn't suffered the demoralizing and inarguable defeats they have since. I don't think there will be much appeal to keep fighting when this is over because their best case scenario is the "freedom" to dissolve their society to serve the loans and IMF financing that's been introduced. That's on top of the privatization and liberalization that was already underway.

If you recall the book on the rollback of Colour Revolutions, they're usually unpopular over any amount of time anyway due to their policies in power really contrasting with the promises made to become part of the West. Well, in this case they haven't just financially destroyed Ukraine, but have inflicted social and physical destruction as well. That's not going to inspire more than the hardest core of NGO profiteers and Political skinheads to fight for it, and the former will flee upon military defeat while the latter is killed.

gene sharp made a big deal of studying the norwegian tripartite resistance structure: military (official guerilla with a formal military structure going all the way up to the king in exile), civilian (broad, diffuse resistance movement without a centralised leadership but with a broad mandate and rooted roughly in civil society, in particular the labour movement) and sabotage (terrorism and assassinations, based largely on a militant communist network set up by the comintern agent wollweber to be something like a comintern gladio). the sabotage organisation had by far the most violent activity, but the military organisation carried out some real headline-grabbing stuff and the civilian resistance really had some quite impressive results doing malicious compliance and social ostracisation of collaborators, etc.

curiously the civilian resistance has been coming under increased criticism in recent years, in particular for the ostracisation and civil-society sanctions against collaborative behaviour, which is seen as infringing upon individual liberty. see also https://fpress.no/boker/pa-aren-los

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

She's not just a landlord, she's reportedly a Junker and has some sort of schloss, with a country home, gardens, and tenant farms.

shouldn't this make you more sympathetic to her???

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah smart money seems to be on this being another straw on the back of an increasingly worried-looking camel

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nix Panicus posted:

How is Russia dealing with its own demographic pinch? Just a bigger population to draw on? Permissive attitudes towards migration?

partially they're also using their own older guys. they also have a bigger population, as you mention, use foreigners at least to some extent and also got out of the post-soviet collapse in a way that the ukrainians just didn't, so iirc the demographics are less apocalyptic

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

bedpan posted:

you mean they did literally steal all the money? I remember reading about this and joking about it a few months back but only being partially serious but if the early reports were in fact true and the supposed multiyear construction project built villas in Italy and France instead of trenches in Ukraine then they are screwed.

part of it will be a measure of corruption, another part simply that ukraine really doesn't have a lot of properly trained low-level officers and have presumably been prioritising officer replacements for more active fronts instead of having them direct the construction of fortifications in territory which isn't that important anyway.

samogonka posted:

Nuland is a Western Supremacist who has no problem deceiving the public as long as it serves the cause

this is basically official ideology among the western talking classes atm, thence the very public angst about "combating disinformation" or "information warfare". loyalty to the liberal geopolitical project must be maintained because it is Correct. the problem is that the most important maneuver the liberals have had since forever has been to discourage substantial evaluations and think of things in purely formal terms, which means that this position is instinctively and very obviously untenable - and so it just doesn't really stick.

anyway i don't think the russian objective is kharkiv at all, i think that the russian objective - to the extent that they have a geographical objective - is izyum. if they could take izyum they can resume flanking pressure on slaviansk, which at that point would probably actually fall without too much trouble. that would in turn unlock a lot of the front. i still don't think that this is a big land-grab offensive, though, the point of contact seems a bit peculiar for that.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Al-Saqr posted:

sorry havent been keeping up is something major happening in Kharkiv? ive been reading headlines and news of russian advances that are preceding a giant planed one, whats going on?

the russians have activated another front and had some success in the initial phases following what appears to have been very bad preparation from the ukrainian side. they're now trying to seize an important town to pierce a line of defences. what they're actually trying to accomplish is unclear; it could just be upping the pressure on the ukrainians (this is what it looks like atm imo), or they could actually be preparing a major offensive with big arrows and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

most of the levers of control that the capitalist class are things like capital strikes/flight, unfavourable loan conditions etc. i doubt that the cabal of german bougieboys would've gone down to hitler's office in any event; they would've just started putting their money elsewhere, emigrating etc. i tend to agree that in fascism there's a degree of central discipline imposed on the bourgeoisie (it is made very difficult for them or their money to leave, for one thing) by the strongman in charge, but that scenario isn't fair imo