Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i gotta say the quality of these no-growth trolls gets worse and worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

finally we can all collect our putin checks

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

those dastardly north koreans

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1587916575310745601

:ukraine: can't help but go mask off when they think they can get away with it

its not surprising just ask them about any other war and whether they supported iraq etc and the replies should not surprise you

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Not So Fast posted:

I don't think it's worth speculating over. The areas Russia will annex will likely get just as carved up and exploited by Russian oligarchs. I do recall there was a dispute over pensions getting sold out by Poroshenkos government, but the amount of cuts Russia will have to make to reorient itself after the war are going to affect these types of policies as well.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

it really is all just iraq again, remember when this all started and all the places started renaming anything russian and all other insane dumbass hysteria

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

For whom?

did you even read what i said

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

lmfao that was epic and did not at all make me want to play Ukrainian roulette

it was like a replay from 20 years ago

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

general benedict mud

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

germany wont do poo poo unless the opponent is greece

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i would laugh though if it was the uk and germany actually retaliated at least economically

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Jose Mengelez posted:

for 12 years the tories have been trying to rekindle a kind of british nationalism in the vein of the much vaunted "blitz spirit". seems like those crafty blighters may have finally discovered one weird trick...

one weird trick to get through 28 prime ministers in a year

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Freedom dressing

with some freedom fries

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

its a war between two lovely capitalist forces with ukraine being the punching bag

that nazis are getting owned on both sides is the only good thing

i hope the war ends soon before this drags out to be another afghanistan

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

speng31b posted:

I wouldn't bet on that either, this war will be a great recruitment tool for nazis everywhere in the longer term

true thats other flip side of them getting whacked in the war

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

are you talking to yourself or something

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

leaning towards nothing happens besides maybe strong condemnation seems like bad idea to start a giant land war in europe

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

this is a ploy by ukraine to steal polands grain

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

poland must be destroyed

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

russia double tapped the grain silos

polodomer

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

affordable access to war crimes

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

farts

misread post

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Organ Fiend posted:

Man, how does a nuclear armed state just straight up invade another country, gently caress everything up, kill hundreds of thousands of people, and then just continue to exist? No country has ever survived doing this. Ever.

Certainly not within the last two decades.

Twice.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

if countries stopped existing for losing a war especially humiliating ones like afghanistan vietnam even iraq then the us would of collapsed 3 times by now

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

wasent one of the shitlib/neocon medias favorite darlings not too long ago that genocide supporting lady in myanmar

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

lol

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

they probably wanted to

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

uh huh yeah i bet their running just fine without power

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

The beauty of bullshit economies is that who can really challenge it? They already decoupled it from tonnes of steel produced.

Hell, the “economy” of Ukraine in the immediate future seems to be derivatives of state assets being sold into foreign, private hands. By that metric, it’s booming and there’s only reason to be optimistic.

maybe they mean shitposting on twitter which is probably 90% of their economy at this point

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

being pro war and generally starting wars is a good indicator you might win the peace prize

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

having a dementia addled imbecile as president doesnt help

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Hatebag posted:

Inflation is high but steady year over year. gdp is up 3.2% for the 3rd quarter 2022. Stocks are down a little but i don't think that's 100% attributable to the war. Hell, dow is about where it was when the war started. I don't really see any big losses due to the war tbh

lol using gdp growth as a measure of the country being ok did you see what the growth was in

ill help you out like 90% of it was military sales and oil exports

i missed the stocks part as well lmbo

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

imagine living in the us right now and claiming things arnt bad economically or havent changed

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

If you’re only 30-40 years old (which is still old as gently caress), might not have been around to notice the difference from the previous era of stronger unions, middle class attainability, and comically evil segregation and gender policies.

this is true to a point millennials have basically seen since day 1 but theres definitely been a curve of it getting worse over time

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The media in the US is definitely gaslighting people, cause every so often I see an article about how inflation is easing and motherfucker the bread is still 50% more expensive than before the war started, rise fluctuates between 15% to 30% more expensive in any given week. Meats are still super expensive and so are the eggs. On what is the inflation easing?

its gaslighting those prices arent going back to what they were they best your getting is that they dont rise as fast. it also hasent been easing at all in important stuff like food,rent they deliberately exclude stuff from inflation numbers

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Hatebag posted:

All i was doing was comparing metrics from before and after the war. They don't seem that different to me, but I'm not an economist. I didn't say things were good in the us

the point being those metrics you chose are useless to determine the well being of people economically

this doesnt even touch in how economic stats are deliberately bullshitted or omit tons of real info the most obvious example being the unemployment rate

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

This is pretty much Megan McArdle and Malcom Gladwell’s jobs, correct?

I’m married to a working economist so I just tune it out tbh. We have a new book on the coffee table or her bookshelf every month about how everything is great, the Economist weekly, the Globe and Mail daily.

they always do the same thing even right down to the 2008 collapse they were daily articles about how amazing everything is, its a profitable business to write bullshit garbage to gaslight people

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Hatebag posted:

Yeah, i get that the books are cooked i just don't know what other measurements to use that would be closer to reality and i suspect it would take more than 5 minutes of googling to figure out
its def a combo of alot of metrics that you have to dig even deeper to get accurate metrics theres an interesting one being the number of people that actually own homes in the US is waaaay lower than the one reported i think the official number is like 65% in reality its closer to 50% if not lower due to the way they report the numbers

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

anyways back to ukraine chat i dont want to hijack for economics chat since we have a megathread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

richard wolff is a good watch for economics