Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
IK EDIT: Looks like this OP somehow left out the most important thread rule, which is -- do not do bloodlust and do not post graphic death/violence in this thread. There is plenty of horrible content about this war on nearly every form of social media and news; there is no need to curate it in this thread, period. If you post something that other posters feel crossed the line, do not argue, do not double down even if you don't personally agree. Just stop doing it and move on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLU3oG_ePhM

Welcome to the CSPAM Ukraine/Russia War thread! We’re delighted that you have decided to shitpost with us about the ongoing conflict that well may lead to the extinction of all life on Earth. Here are a few things you should know before you make the horrible, horrible mistake of posting here:

• 1.a.a -- Do not personally blow up the Nova Kakhovka dam.

• 1.a.b -- Do not nuke England. (based on in-thread feedback, this rule has been stricken. Nuking England is now encouraged)

• 8===1.D -- stfu enjoy

• :siren:If you haven't already, read Jeffrey and Azathoth's posts in the QCS thread.:siren: I would not advise reading the rest of the thread; it starts off good and then veers off into a shitshow, but it's your eyes and brain, I can't stop you.

• All the usual CSPAM rules apply ITT.

• This is a CSPAM THREAD about the war in Ukraine (and, more broadly, former Soviet Union stuff). While people are welcome and even encouraged to post long, thoughtful effortposts about the conflict, they should not expect effort to necessarily be met with effort. Nor should they expect the level of decorum that they’d usually see in a DnD thread. So you may be called names, have your posts met with “tl;dr,” or be outright ignored (the worst of all possible fates). If you can handle that and still think posting here would be fun, then you’re welcome, and I'm sorry that whatever happened to you early in life made you this way! You're in good company, though!

• :siren:We will not allow posting about the GBS, DnD, GIP, YOSPOS, or other U/R threads on the Something Awful Forums.:siren: Going forward, complaining about the other threads’ posters or mods will earn you some time off, the amount of time depending on how annoyingly you do it and what your rap sheet looks like.

• Conversely, do not come into this thread accusing its regulars of being Nazis, tankies, genocide apologists, or anything like that. If there are any posts you find particularly offensive, report them and/or PM me or another mod/admin. We will take your complaints seriously.

• :siren:There is also going to be an indefinite moratorium on SYQs from other posters on the forums.:siren: SYQs sourced from Reddit, Twitter, or anywhere else that’s not the Something Awful Forums are still fair game.

• As was the case with this thread’s previous incarnation, we do not allow any bloodlust here. Don't call for the deaths of civilians, don't sound off about a massacre or a bombing being a false flag unless you have proof, don't post gore, do not try to justify or minimize Russia's outright kidnapping of Ukrainian children, etc etc. mlmp08 is no longer allowed to be a whiny bitch itt. The previous thread got a lot better about this in its last several months, and I appreciate it immensely. Unfortunately, a handful of CSPAM regulars in QCS really hosed the pooch and that's why they got banned. So let's make this thread more like the old thread in its final months and less like the QCS thread.

• Do not post anything bigoted towards any ethnicity ITT. That includes Ukrainians, Russians, Roma, Jews, etc, etc. If you want to talk about the far right in Ukraine, talk about the far right in Ukraine; don't say, "Ukrainians are all Nazis" or anything like that.

:siren:Here are some anonymized examples of how not to post. Consider this a row of heads on spikes, with a big banner over them that reads "DO NOT POST LIKE THIS!":

quote:

even calling it the holodomor without ironic quotes is pretty offensive and platforms nazis tbh

quote:

This is the fundamental imbalance. I read a post like "Russia is kidnapping children" and I think that poster is dumb or has been lied to. I post "I think the US shouldn't give war materiel to Ukraine" and people post that I'm a Russian plant here to subvert their holy posting battlefield and for that I should die.

quote:

Russian war crimes are as real as the Ghost of Kiev

quote:

D&D is the nazi forum, for nazis, run by nazis.

quote:

It is really too bad that the president of their home country deliberately exposed them to danger by not telling the parents to leave with their children (or warning anyone) despite knowing of the invasion in advance. Ah well, nevertheless :pressf:

If you would like to complain about any of this, you can PM me or one of the other mods/admins, but we're not going to allow meta discussions ITT for now. Keep it strictly to discussions about the war and related geopolitical issues.

If any of this makes you feel like you don't want to post in this incarnation of the thread, I'm sorry to hear that but I understand. No hard feelings on my end.

Here’s the link to the old thread.

If anyone wants to highlight any of the best posts from the previous thread, or has helpful links that they would like to highlight, let me know and I’ll add them in a post below.

Reading list:
-Sexy orc romance.

Somebody has issued a correction as of 12:22 on Sep 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Good posts will go here as people suggest them. In the meantime, enjoy some feet:

MAPS:

https://twitter.com/femalekissinger/status/1587900625509310464

DIAGRAMS:

TWEETS:

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1587569238918811650

Majorian has issued a correction as of 21:38 on Nov 5, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

I am extremely proud to have contributed the official thread title

You should be. Nothing screams "CSPAM Russia/Ukraine thread" like your post.:hai:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Starsfan posted:

didn't read

That's fine, I let my cats walk all over the keyboard and just posted what they came up with.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

She's one of the absolute dumbest pieces of garbage in foreign policy. Someone who to this day insists that John McCain was correct on everything.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

I can't believe we're only on page one and we already have a meltdown

You can't?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

:unsmigghh:

speng31b posted:

im going to do an imperialism

Uh oh, is that a no-growth I hear?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Breakfast All Day posted:

2 pages and still no map

Oops, added one to the 2nd post.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

bongmaster posted:

let us all die

Be patient.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1588297119957254144

*Dave laugh* Ah heh heh heh! Hey Paul can I get some of that Zelensky music?!

Paul: Haaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Starsfan posted:

his shirt says "I'm Ukrainian" in english? is that to help the average viewer understand who he is?

I meeeeeeeean...consider the audience in question.

PhilippAchtel posted:

Slightly off topic, but vaguely related, if you haven't listened to Season 3 of Blowback about the Korean War go do it right now

Seconding this.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The anti-Joker: why so UNserious?:ohdear:

e: lmao that thread is somethin' else:

https://twitter.com/mz8kALwwrNpo3nh/status/1587538519131570182

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Meow Tse-tung posted:

war orphans are like baby birds, if you touch it the birth country won't come back for it so it's best to just leave them in a HIMARS crater and hope for the best

Let's leave the war orphans topic alone for a bit, if you don't mind. Bit of a flash point in the QCS thread.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well that was stupid

Gonna have to be way, way, WAY more specific.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

I'm going to at least post the link to what was said in the old thread so people can see discussion of it is possible without blind insanity if you don't mind. specifically, to my post about how what russia is doing is gross and they say the quiet part out loud about their intentions, but it's also a nighmarish bureaucratic fuckup with few good options

I appreciate that, thanks!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jose Mengelez posted:

is it considered a pro russia position to say ukraine would be marginally better off being rebuilt as part of the russian federation than getting carved up by the IMF and sold off piecemeal to US business interests?

here, i've drawn a helpful diagram to explain this wild, zany tankie position that i personally do not hold;

like i said, not my personal opinion as i'm certain the good ole US state dept will write off those hundreds of billions in military aid as 'doing a buddy a solid' and happily allow ukraine the freedom (:911:) to democratically govern itself as a sovereign nation.

also, i'm 100% sure a triumphant zelensky's first move will be to immediately decriminalize organized labour and opposition parties and declare an immediate moratorium on pogroming roma as that's just the kind of vibe he's putting out y'know?

Not So Fast posted:

I don't think it's worth speculating over. The areas Russia will annex will likely get just as carved up and exploited by Russian oligarchs. I do recall there was a dispute over pensions getting sold out by Poroshenkos government, but the amount of cuts Russia will have to make to reorient itself after the war are going to affect these types of policies as well.

Yeah that's kind of my feeling on it as well. I don't think speculating about it is "pro-Russian" in any meaningful sense, but at this point it's basically an angels-dancing-on-the-head-of-a-pin thought experiment. Ukraine's getting hosed by oligarchs from one direction or another (or likely both) no matter what.

I do like the diagram, though - I'll put it in the pics post!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Minera posted:

everyone should apologize and then putin and zelenskyy kiss on national tv

When I say "full communism now" aloud and then close my eyes this is what I see.:hai:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hoooooly gently caress that's harrowing.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

did the something awful mod event have any impact on the war ?

On the posting front? Absolutely.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gonna check this guy out, let's see...

quote:

In The Road to Ruin, Rickards propagates the idea which was first articulated by the Indian economist Arvind Kumar in the Indian newspaper Daily News and Analysis and which rang the alarm bells that the combination of negative interest rates and cashless currency was a design to destroy the savings of people.[14] The book also promulgates the conspiracy theory that "global elites" are using the "hobby horse" of climate change to advance a "new world order" that includes a global currency.

Ah.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jose Mengelez posted:

*weeps yanis varoufakishly*

Nobody knows how to weep in a manly way like a Hellene.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Since I'm already in full swing at making GBS threads on people's sources, this guy also has some wild publications.:laugh:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ikanreed posted:

So I've narrowed down the good guys in this war to people who post opinions online, but only opinions about how much everyone else sucks.

The real praxis heroes, yes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

if a guy who writes climate denialist books states “the sky is blue “ are you going to critique his sources then too ??

Yeah probably, it's cloudy where I am. Dumbass doesn't know what he's talking about.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

serious question can I still call Azov et all nazis ?

Azov, absolutely. gently caress those Nazis.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

what about Aidar, Tornado, Kraken, C14, Sich…

I only know about Kraken, but sure, if they're avowedly Nazis or use lots of Nazi propaganda and are white nationalists and all that poo poo.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

crepeface posted:

majorian you gotta stomp the people explicitly threadshitting harder. if they're jumping in now while the current status quo has the backing from admins and el jeffe, it's only going to get worse when management isn't so focused on this thread

I kinda want to see them melt down some more.:shrug:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Every time we intervene to stop the next Hitler we are stopping the holocaust. 1 million dead in Iraq, more like 9 million saved from Sadam Adolf Hussain, checkmate.

More like Saddam Insane.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

oscarthewilde posted:

reading the godawful QCS thread (rather, it started it out good, but then descended into the exact kind of moralistic slapfighting it was meant to address) I was suddenly reminded of Thucydides' Melian Dialogue. It looks to me that CSPAM has taken the Athenian, 'realist' position that understands politics and warfare as fundamentally determined by raw, naked power, while the moralistic Melian position - preferring death in defeat over life in negotiated surrender - can be recognised in the more loud voices in GBS and DND. Interesting to know what you all think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNzHOqjMHwY

It's an interesting question, and I appreciate you posting the video - but remember, we're not talking about GBS or another other forum in this thread!:)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I don't remember if it was GURPS or not but I found a campaign module set during the Fall of Constantinople. That was pretty fun.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

oscarthewilde posted:

I could rephrase it as the anti- vs. pro-ukrainians if you'd prefer. I am interested in the more underlying, conceptual conflict between opposing ways of understanding both this conflict and the world in general. Specific subforums or threads might resemble certain positions more than others, they do little more than reproduce the underlying conceptual pre-assumptions.

Sure, that would be interesting. Thanks!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CODChimera posted:

how have we already strayed off topic?!

I know, it's so unlike us!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gravid Topiary posted:

i don't remember you using this many exclamation points before you turned into a modperson :thunk:

I'm just excited to have my favorite thread back.:allears:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

I'm glad we finally got the flying bug poll, but holy poo poo why was OK Baizou permabanned??

His previous account was really bad.

Let's keep meta discussion to a minimum for now, though!

\/\/\/lol\/\/\/

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1588182399736844290

omg you guys - Ukraine is negging Russia!!!:3:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

This is the behavior of The Good Guys.:hmmyes:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

i read da op and the last bad quote is weird to pick out. too much irreverence? too much sounding like conspiracy nut? but its basically factually true, its the exact incentive structure that happened in the US were people tried to maximize economic activity prior to covid restrictions. in short, kidnapping ftw

That's some incredibly thin ice you're venturing out onto, comrade.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

I don't even know the forumID of GBS. If I wanted to open a thread there to troll I'd be halted by the simple URL wall, scratching my head

That's great. Stop talking about it or I will probate you. That goes for everyone else after this post, too.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CODChimera posted:

what could the ring even do other than corrupt people and turn them invisible?

Only Boromir suspected the truth: it was a cockring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1588345283477266434

Oooh, love that confidence...from a government that isn't Ukraine's, and has some rather perverse incentives wrapped up in all of this!