Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

5e sucks btw. AD&D 2e is GOATed

Using my first post in this thread to agree with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nix Panicus posted:

I tried GURPS once as a young lad and hated it for being unwieldy and not particularly fun. While I was dating my future wife she gushed about a GURPS game she was in and eventually she got me to join a different GURPS group with her. It quickly became very apparent that the 'GURPS' group she liked so much was only using the books for flavor text and the occasional 3d6 roll and had homebrewed replacements for basically every other GURPS mechanic. That group dissolved the session after we had our first 'combat' encounter because nobody wanted to navigate the combat rules again.

It's been nearly a decade now but GURPS was the thing that made tabletop rpgs "click" in my head.

I'd played through Icewind Dale and other infinity engine games before but never quite understood how they worked, but GURPS's basic mechanic of "roll three six-sided dice, and the thing you attempt succeeds if the total is less than your stat for the thing" was what made the basic principle make sense.

From there it was possible to grasp D&D's "roll a twenty-sided die, plus bonuses, and the thing you attempt succeeds if the total is greater than a certain number"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Starting a D&D campaign about defending fantasy not-Ukraine from an invasion by magical not-Russia

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Correct. No-one should actually play GURPS

Gurps is good, actually

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Shadowrun: NAFO Sourcebook

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I watched like the first 20 minutes of the new Top Gun but it was worse than Morbius. Was the place they were gonna bomb Russia?

Subjecting a plane load of people to Morbius is the real war crime IMO.

It's Not-Iran

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What if instead of Gandalf he was named Gunkata and he had these sweet akimbo pistol moves

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Steve Kerrson and the Sovereign State Warriors

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

Is it just me or does everyone with the stable Diffusion ai Bernie Sanders avatars just kind of blend together now

Except for the shifty nipples one, that one rules

Once again I am asking for your financial support

- Volodomernie Zelenskers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Imagining a Ukraine aid announcement done in the style of a Democrat fundraising email

Subject: LOST

Friend,

We are on our last legs! The Kherson counteroffensive has stalled, the Russians are closing in on Kharkov, and we're behind on reinforcements.

BUT! If you donate BEFORE MIDNIGHT, we will TRIPLE MATCH your donations in Bayraktars and HIMARS

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Paul Manaorc

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
do we know about people who volunteered for Russia?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

Hey is there any good articles about why Tim Synder sucks as a hisorian that can't be misconstrued as Pro-Stalinist. My Ukrianian friend was telling me he was watching some lecture he gave on YouTube and I told him I wouldn't trust a word he says cause hes ridiculously biased and I'd like to follow it up with a proper source

Timothy Snyder's Bad History

quote:

It was the advent of Donald Trump—mentioned no less than 100 times in Snyder’s latest book, The Road to Unfreedom: Russia, Europe, America—that catapulted Snyder from academic star to intellectual celebrity. Shortly after the 2016 election, he published On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century, in which he warned Americans that Trump could launch a fascist revolution. The book disturbed many historians, who believed that Snyder was trafficking in alarmism. But Snyder reaped a small fortune from his prophecy, despite the gathering authoritarian gloom, establishing himself as the liberal media’s resident credentialed doomsayer. This distinguished Yale historian has become a kind of American apparatchik, validating and enforcing the elite media’s party line in such snappy articles as “How Hitler Pioneered ‘Fake News’” (New York Times), “Trump’s Big Election Lie Pushes America Toward Autocracy” (Boston Globe), and “Trump’s ‘Delay the Election’ Tweet Checks All Eight Rules for Propaganda” (Washington Post).

For what could be more darkly funny than imagining, in 1940, at the height of Hitler’s reign, the publication in Germany of a bestseller called On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Nineteenth Century? Or the publication, in a Berlin newspaper, in 1938, of an article that helpfully informed readers how Hitler’s annexation of the Sudetenland “Checked All Eight Rules for Dangerous Irredentism”? Snyder has made a lucrative career of commodifying historical analogies, but no precedents exist for a popular historian leading his country away from political disaster via bestselling books and newspaper articles. For a historian of the Holocaust, Snyder is remarkably at ease while living through history, even as he cries that it is closing in around him. As he told the Yale Daily News: “The bad news is that our republic is in a lot of trouble. The good news is that On Tyranny is a practical guide for how to defend a republic, how to defend individual freedoms, so if a lot of people are reading it, that’s good news.”

Snyder has become a one-man industry of panic, a prophet whose profitability depends on his prophecies never coming true. He could flourish only in a country so far removed from “totalitarianism”—a word he freely applies to America—as to seem historically blessed with eternal freedom. Yet while he remakes himself into a media functionary, genuine figures of intellect and principle in actual authoritarian countries suffer when they speak the truth. As Snyder draws facile analogies between America and Russia from his aerie in New Haven, Alexei Navalny struggles to survive each day and night in Vladimir Putin’s asphyxiating universe.

____

Double genocide theory - this is literally just the wikipedia article on the topic

quote:

Timothy Snyder's book Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin (2010) drew scholarly criticism for being seen as suggesting a moral equivalence between Soviet mass murders and the Nazi Holocaust. Historian Richard J. Evans commented: "It seems to me that he is simply equating Nazi genocide with the mass murders carried out in the Soviet Union under Stalin. ... There is nothing wrong with comparing. It's the equation that I find highly troubling."[15] Zuroff refers to the book as "the equivalency canard."[16] In a public debate in The Guardian starting in September 2010, Zuroff accused Snyder of providing a scholarly basis for "the historically-inaccurate 'double genocide' theories" by emphasizing the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact and deflecting the full blame from the major culprit of the World War II.[17] Katz commented that "Snyder flirts with the very wrong moral equivalence between Hitler and Stalin",[15] to which Snyder responded: "I coincide with Zuroff and Katz on the centrality of the Holocaust, but we must not overlook how Stalin enabled Hitler's crimes."[18] Katz says that Snyder's historical reassessment of the Nazi–Soviet pact coincides with Baltic ultranationalist agendas.[19]

According to historian Thomas Kühne, going back to the Historikerstreit, conservative intellectuals such as Ernst Nolte and the Holocaust uniqueness debate, the attempts to link Soviet and Nazi crimes, citing books such as Snyder's Bloodlands as prominent examples, are "as politically tricky today as it was then. As it seems to reduce the responsibility of the Nazis and their collaborators, supporters and claqueurs, it is welcomed in rightist circles of various types: German conservatives in the 1980s, who wanted to 'normalise' the German past, and East European and ultranationalists today, who downplay Nazi crimes and up-play Communist crimes in order to promote a common European memory that merges Nazism and Stalinism into a 'double-genocide' theory that prioritises East European suffering over Jewish suffering, obfuscates the distinction between perpetrators and victims, and provides relief from the bitter legacy of East Europeans' collaboration in the Nazi genocide."[20]

___

Warping History

quote:

In the conclusion of his astonishing book, Snyder abandons history and enters the realm of prophecy: “Understanding the Holocaust,” he explains, “is our chance, perhaps our last one, to preserve humanity.”

Hitler, Snyder says, was more than a “biological anarchist,” he also was an ecological strategist, and his project of building an “Aryan” empire was rooted into a pitiless calculation of the available natural resources in continental Europe.

Germans could not establish their millennial rule without taking possession of corn, oil, and other resources of Eastern Europe. This is true — the conquest of “living space” had also “ecological” concerns, insofar as its racial domination implied a complete control of demography, economy, territories, and their natural resources.

These concerns, Snyder explains, were eclipsed in the postwar years by the “Green Revolution” that allowed Germany to become a prosperous nation without conquering the Soviet Union (and in spite of losing much of their old territories). But the lessons of the “first globalization” (whose “child,” according to Snyder, was Hitler) once again become relevant at the beginning of the twenty-first century, when the control of natural resources will decide the future of our planet.

This struggle may become as violent and pitiless as the zoological battle for racial selection conceived by Hitler almost one century ago, Snyder concludes, and we should not dismiss the possibility that this struggle will become the basis of new wars and genocides. This is why the lessons of the Holocaust are so important — “The struggle against the Jews was ecological,” Snyder writes, insofar as “it concerned not a specific racial enemy or territory but the conditions of life on earth.”

Assuming such premises, one might see the first signs of this catastrophic scenario in the Western wars against Iraq and Libya, through which the great powers tried to control fundamental sites of oil production. But the Cassandra’s warning Snyder launches simply reiterates the commonplaces of neoconservatism — the future will be a clash of civilizations and the West has to get ready for a new Crusade.

Africa demonstrates the risk of local shortages, China suggests the problems of global power and national anxiety, and Russia shows how practices of the 1930s can come to seem like positive examples. Thanks in large measure to Moscow, state destruction and the construction of planetary enemies have returned to vogue in Europe. In the Middle East, states tend to be weak, and Islamic fundamentalists have long presented Jews, Americans, and Europeans as planetary enemies.

Russia, whose leader has taken “the head of populist, fascist, and neo-Nazi forces in Europe,” has invented a new scapegoat, the homosexuals, but the Jews themselves could become the victims of a second Holocaust, Snyder argues.

Finally, Snyder brings his misguided political argument to a close by transforming his territorial history of statelessness into a spirited defense of Israel.

“Zionists of all orientations were correct to believe that statehood was crucial to future national existence,” Snyder writes — but he fails to mention that this conclusion would seem to legitimate a demand for Palestinian statehood.

For Snyder, this observation rather proves that Israelis are right to control water supplies in the West Bank, and Palestinians echo Nazis in their complaints: “Muslims might blame Jews for both local problems and the general ecological crisis; that was, after all, Hitler’s approach.”

In Black Earth’s conclusion, Snyder turns into an admirer — equal parts naïve and dogmatic — of Menachem Begin, Yitzhak Shamir, and Benjamin Netanyahu — Israeli leaders he considers to be noble descendants of their ancestors, the heroic Polish nationalists of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

The author of Bloodlands may have made important contributions to Holocaust historiography. But five years later, the prophet of Black Earth preaches Zionist and neoconservative platitudes, and obscures more history than he uncovers.

___

Jewish Currents, 2017: The Double Genocide Theory

quote:

UNITED STATES POLICY regarding the Double Genocide theory began to change markedly around 2009 ... As one American diplomat put it to me some years ago, off the record: “Look, these guys will stand up to the Russians, not like England, France and Germany. And if all they want is some changes in the history, and it’s changes that hit Putin in the face, then why the hell not?!”

American embassies in the region have thus organized one-sided Holocaust conferences closed to a diversity of views. When in 2012 the Lithuanian government repatriated from Putnam, Connecticut, the remains of the 1941 Nazi puppet prime minister who signed papers ordering the Jews of his city, Kaunas, to a murder camp and the rest to the Kovno Ghetto, the American Embassy, instead of politely speaking up in the spirit of American values, covered for the sham with “balanced statements” and the organization of a cover-up conference featuring Yale professor Timothy Snyder as well as the director of YIVO.

Nobody at the conference even mentioned the reburial with full honors underway. When the East European countries inserted Double Genocide language, blaming both Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union, equally, for “genocide,” into a declaration of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe in 2009, the United States voted for it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Whenever you find someone that's pointing the finger at NATO, check their opinion on COVID

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you replace the word "children" with "lollipops", @briebriejoy's answer would be considered cutesy, irreverent narrative.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

I guess the founder of NAFO agrees?

Of all the campaigns Lee fought in, the one that never seems to get much attention is the Battle of North Anna, where Grant walks into a trap about as perfectly as Marse Robert would have wanted, but he can't spring it because he came down with dysentery and couldn't issue orders while making GBS threads out his guts.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://mobile.twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1588425861224878081

I can no longer support Ramzan Kadyrov

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Men would rather wage an eschatological war against the antichrist than get therapy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

Absolutely. Vengeance is something to get one's teeth into. Sitting in an office listening to someone talking about meditation therapy is for sheep.

(folks obviously this is slightly exaggerated for effect, please do not vengeance people, hug your dog)

Namaste

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was at a wedding this afternoon.

Unknowingly walking into a Latin mass is a weird way to find out your brother's new in-laws might be TradCath, but the part that's relevant to this thread is that at the end of the ceremony, there's a special prayer for the intercession of the Lord for the conversion of Russia.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster posted:

lol all this catholic slander while FF is exiled.

As a coreligionist I am obliged to defend my brother in Christ

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Crimea story strikes me as a Ukrainian version of that lady that does nothing but watch Russian cable TV and tweets about how some dipshit just said they're going to need to flay all the Ukrainians when they win or something.

Like, someone did say it, and they even maybe meant it, but it's red meat for the base ala Fox News to grandpas.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Pentagon, tomorrow: please give us a bajillion dollars. We will spend it on production. We promise.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dreylad posted:

"vatnik activism"?

https://twitter.com/VladDavidzon/status/1576577881873928192?t=Bdgqtge80jy2N9GukBBWFw&s=19

https://twitter.com/PeaceIsFutile/status/1576860502005014529?t=vblv3CPnYL-bdhG_ssBovQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/Existensiell/status/1577035085416910849?t=x1tjwze5tqYM5-t6R34_ZA&s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
idk about all that but when the Pope says NATO provoked the war he literally can't be wrong about it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

speng31b posted:

drat, wish FF was here to tell us how the Pope's infallibility applies correctly

I remember something from my old theology lessons about him only being infallible when he speaks with his special "I'm being infallible now" voice, not just whenever

I was raised Opus Dei, I know how this works

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Isentropy posted:

Is Philippine/non US Opus Dei anything like US Opus Dei, which seems to be "gently caress you we wanna stay in 1950"

that's exactly it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Critical support for Robert Mugabe

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

January 6 Survivor posted:

I mean he ain't wrong, "Dokdo is Serbia" is an important part of my personal ideology.

Try it out, pick a place at random on the map and claim it as belonging to another country, it's fun and harmless.

Budjak is Romania

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I read through most of a biography of "Mad Mike" Hoare before I figured out that he was the bad guy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol at Michael "world's greatest sex machine" Tracey figuring out that the Republicans aren't actually anti-war

The man is quickly catching up to being more correct than Glenn Greenwald

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/juggstorecowboy/status/1589293370253643778?t=16QC4SKyFRmTpI-Xd7-6qw&s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

the biggest problem with steam locos was never the machine's efficiency, it's that you need a bespoke locomotive for every sort of rail incline/train weight combination you have on your rail network
like, if you have a 2% grade you need to pull your 1000 ton train onto and you have diesel locos that can pull a 1000 ton train up a 1% grade, you can just couple 2 diesels together and problem solved

you can't easily multiple-unit the old steam locos like you can with diesel-electrics though. firstly because these are hand made, purely mechanical machines, so from the start no two locos are exactly the same, nor do they have any engine control units installed

secondly, you might say, "well, then just have more crewed steamers, surely that works fine!", but it doesn't. it is an absolute loving nightmare for the crews due to how finicky the entire pressure system is in these old machines. the basics of running a single steamer are very simple - if speed starts falling you increase steam pressure in your pistons, if pressure is falling you make the fire burn hotter. as soon as you have two steamers though, this poo poo all goes out the window

even if you had two exact copies of the same loco, unless you also had the exact same fire and boiler level going in both locos for the entire route, you're going to be losing a ton of efficiency from either one of them because one might be burning a bit slower, but your pressure/speed aren't dropping because the other loco is picking up your slack, so you have nothing to react to until the other loco also starts struggling with its own pressure, and by then increasing the fire mass is probably too late because it can take a couple minutes for the heat to kick in and now the entire train is stalled on the grade. and like driving two steamers at the same time is hard, starting two steamers on a grade is just about impossible.

so in the end you'll need like 4-5 instead of the theoretical 2 needed to reliably climb that 2% grade with the same train. you can train the crew to efficiently drive multiple steam locos, or you can just run more, smaller trains and lose a ton of efficiency, but if ukraine is struggling to keep diesels running, lol @ that idea

however, fortunately for them, ukraine is all flat so that's all a non-issue :v:

I appreciate this post so drat much because it belies a heretofore unexpressed expertise and blows open the falsehood that is OpenTTD simply letting you put two trains together.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Goddamn these heathens.

Deus Vult (ironically, parody, parody)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lobster shirt posted:

frosted flakes will be free to post, and defend the pope, in a few hours

Habemus FF

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.ncregister.com/blog/fulton-sheen-explains-what-fatima-s-prophecies-mean

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Do you think we'll get any Russian operators in Modern Warfare 2 or are games staying away from Russians because of real-world events?

quote:

Wouldn't it be nice to skullfuck some russians in mp

quote:

gently caress russian operators. Can we get some Ukranian operators. All royalties to the ukraine 🇺🇦

quote:

Well we have a Chinese operator and they're genociding muslims and killing their own people so not sure why a Russian would be out of order.

quote:

They didn't add any Nazi operators to Vanguard, so they're not going to add any Russian operators to this game.

quote:

I want Andrew Tate as Operator

quote:

Add Ukranian, Kazakh, Finnish operators instead tbqh.

___

quote:

I wonder if the Russian forces in the next game will be realistic to what they have shown the past few months, kind of hard to believe Russia can compete with the 141/US when they are getting stomped by Ukraine right now.

quote:

My question is, are they avoiding Russia because their inclusion hits too close to home or because they don’t look like a credible threat to the West anymore?

quote:

Who would want to be a Russian operator? According to r/UkraineWarVideoReport and r/combatfootage they just get grenades dropped on them by drones, and all they want to do is drink vodka and steal washing machines.

quote:

After seeing what the real Russian army can do, I'm not sure they count as a military. They are just bad at everything.

quote:

Idk how many CoD players want to play as a starving terrorist with 3 bullets and a gunshot wound.

quote:

Igor shows up with a pot belly, tampons, and no socks. Also, punchable helmet. It’s unrealistic to expect some amazing military figures in Russian uniforms at this point.

quote:

I used to think the Russian military was legit legit. I’d rather not have conscript operators.

quote:

We need Russian operators so we can all have target practice.

quote:

I don't think there'll be any Russian operators because it's unrealistic to portray the Russian military as being able to afford the equipment to field an elite special ops team. Unless we get a 56-year-old turnip farmer named Igor and are forced to use only a special variant of the AK that's rusted and has an RNG chance to jam or explode and kill you, I think it'd be too immersion-breaking.

quote:

Make a badass Ukrainian operator, and then make a weak giggle poo poo, overweight drunkard Russian one for the realism.

quote:

Hopefully we get some realistic ones that aren't equipped with armor, helmets, or socks

___

quote:

I mean no disrespect, but has COD ever care about politics?

___

quote:

Ya'll geniuses realise that if it comes to IRL events we should block America from every single loving shooter out there? The American government has been commiting war crimes from WW2 and until now (in modern history, lets not touch the Native American genocide and such seas of blood). Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Afganistan, Iraq, Yemen, and many more. So we either exclude countries that actively take part in Imperialist agression like England, America, Russia etc etc etc, or we don't comment on political events on our loving video games.

Now if one country is present and one is not, then maybe some of you should think that, just PERHAPS, you are being fed propaganda and shown perspectives fitting some kinda narrative.

Please, for the love of God, be objective for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

evilmiera posted:

Gradenko I am sorry but I don't trust your giant reposts anymore.

To be clear I was just doing a follow-up on "wtf the Catholic Church has a special prayer just for the conversion of Russia?" and apparently this rabbit hole goes through Our Lady of Fatima.