Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

PhilippAchtel posted:

Slightly off topic, but vaguely related, if you haven't listened to Season 3 of Blowback about the Korean War go do it right now

Listen to all of Blowback, but yeah Season 3 is loving incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Welcome back thread. You’re not wrong about that QCS thread. It goes places. I’m not sure how much longer spaces that look at the war in a nuanced skeptical way are going to last on any English language platform, that’s hardly SA specific. There’s a certain dogged moral certainty that has overtaken pretty much everyone. It’s almost been remarkable to watch it develop in real time

I really don’t think it helps at all that most of the higher profile voices in opposition to US involvement have been MAGA types

The CPC letter and the push to deplatform BJG are other examples. It’s wild out there

I'm old enough to remember the Iraq War runup and so much of what is happening in the media feels just like that.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Starsfan posted:

yeah but unlike the Iraq War runup nobody you are likely to ever meet IRL gives a poo poo about this war or your opinion on the war one way or the other. It's only a thing for the terminally online NAFO crowd and certain elements in the media.

**what Raskolnikov said

Yeah, run into way less "nuke their rear end take their gas" types, but I do drive past two farms on a regular basis decked out in Blue and Gold. They're not the local school colors.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Majorian posted:

Yeah that's kind of my feeling on it as well. I don't think speculating about it is "pro-Russian" in any meaningful sense, but at this point it's basically an angels-dancing-on-the-head-of-a-pin thought experiment. Ukraine's getting hosed by oligarchs from one direction or another (or likely both) no matter what.

I do like the diagram, though - I'll put it in the pics post!

Yeah, I don't think that's necessarily a "pro-Russia" opinion but it's also kind of a worthless debate.

Like, in the election next week, I can vote for a new sheriff. The new sheriff doesn't like the old sheriff and is running because he hates how the old sheriff runs things. The old sheriff regularly abuses folks in lockup and has cost the county quite a bit in settlements over the years. The new sheriff promises to clean up how things are done and run an efficient and orderly jail. He has also promised to continue cooperating with ICE and their "debate" was a little bit about corruption and a lot about who is tougher on crime.

Will things be better under the new sheriff? Yeah, probably. If I get drunk and get hauled off to lockup for starting poo poo, it'd be better under the new sheriff than the old sheriff. Doesn't mean the new sheriff is good, or that I have to vote for him or tell people that the new sheriff is better.

Sometimes every option stinks and we don't need to argue about which bad smell is more tolerable.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

speng31b posted:

what kind of dnd games are you running?

sexy ones ... apparently

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

:chloe:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Calibanibal posted:

Tolkien is a loving idiot. Boromir is 100% right, they SHOULD use the ring to save people and make the world a better place

:hmmorks:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

My impression of the QCS thread was that certain people were singled out as targets of moral outrage, and all I can suggest is to post as calmly and cleanly as you can, and assume the worst faith reading of anything you write.

So, stay above the fray and don’t engage with people pushing the Huns’ monstrosities in Brave Little Belgium.

If they want to say the Boche uses Belgian babies for bayonet practice or crucified a Belgian soldier to a barn, don’t mock it, don’t “deny” it, just realize that’s the narrative, put it in context and carry on.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

For the love of God, shut up about other forums. Majorian tried asking nice, I'm not asking.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

do we know about people who volunteered for Russia?

I've never heard a story of it, but there's gotta be at least a few. It wouldn't surprise me if the media were just not running stories about them, or literally saving them for some propaganda push later.

On the other hand, it's also possible that people tried and Russia was afraid of them being spooked up and so either outright sent them packing or has them working in a laundry 1000 miles from Ukraine.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

nomad2020 posted:

:justpost:

Saw we have a new QCS apology and thread, I’m assuming this means no one’s won yet?

The victory will be when this thread doesn't close, the key to victory is not discussing that topic.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Was it against the rules to support the invasion of Afghanistan? No. Thus it was a good conflict.

freedom isn't free

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

genericnick posted:

Isn't that basically always the LaRouchians?

Calling LaRouchites red/brown is one of those things that's broadly accurate but gets less true the more you dig down, because the reality of their beliefs are infinitely dumber and stranger than a basic red/brown or strasserite ideology.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

genericnick posted:

Do they even have believes? They always seemed the opest of ops to me.

There's that whole thing about the secret war between Platonists and Aristotelians (I think that's who can't be bothered to check), but that's closer to religious belief than political belief.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

speng31b posted:

the popes a nerd. watcha gonna do about it FF on probe, no papists here to stop me

as a Lutheran I encourage this behavior

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Wheeee posted:

the people deciding what to send don’t give a poo poo about sending the most effective weapons platforms, if anything they’re going to be trying to avoid prompting escalation from russia beyond the current scope of the war, it’s about bleeding russia and expanding american power, not actually getting ukraine to a military victory

Also, sending the oldest equipment gives the politicians come budget time the ability to then request new equipment. If anything, they're going to send the oldest and the worst equipment, because that benefits the military industrial complex grift far far more than sending in the new equipment. They'll send in the new equipment, don't get me wrong, but using Ukraine as a way to upgrade their inventory is an explicit part of the plan.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Majorian posted:

Someone make a gangtag of the USAID thing.

if someone makes a good one, we'll do a giveaway for anyone who wants one

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

speng31b posted:

you do keep posting this

i feel like trying to understand euphronius is like reading the forbidden book in a lovecraft story, but i do wanna know what this means

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

did u know at some point in time euphronius was a bar certified lawyer

i know enough lawyers to say that this is not surprising in the least

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

speng31b posted:

i wonder how long the thread in the mod forum would be about this

I'm happy to do a gangtag but uh, I gotta say no on the aids thing, sorry :(

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

So that key icon thing that comes up in there, could someone explain to me what that is? I don't recognize it and uh...well, I feel like I need to ask.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

speng31b posted:

it's the logo of the state property fund of Ukraine i think

https://www.spfu.gov.ua/

lobster shirt posted:

its the website logo on the privatiztion site https://privatization.gov.ua/en/

Much appreciated.

Looks good for a gangtag! I'll give folks say 24 hours for anyone to come up with alternatives or improvements or whatever and unless folks would like a different one we'll go with that.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Calibanibal posted:

I am strongly in favor of the stupid tankies itt having a stupid gangtag to ID them on sight. Just so I know who to hate without having to remember usernames or avatars
Gotta do something. With all these bernietars it's like every thread has the same people in it. It's freaking me out.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

bongmaster posted:

remembering things is illegal, remember

remembering that remembering things is illegal is illegal

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Jose Mengelez posted:

apparently it only costs 16 dollars to ride the metro exodus train?

also lmao at stable diffusion's interpretation of a ushanka in your shiny new bernietar.

ngl i want one of those pretty bad

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

lmao at the gop being legit conflicted between giving nothing more to ukraine and wanting to give them all the money because iran is helping russia

the ghost of john mccain roaming the halls of congress plaintively wailing "bomb iran bomb bomb iran booooommmm iraaaaaannn...."

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

speng31b posted:

how are they legit conflicted? it's one or two people without any policy making power giving a fig leaf towards it, they're going to all line up to support the war as soon as possible

it's a conflict between "not one penny to blow up white people" and "but those white people are allied with Iran who we openly fantasize about bathing in nuclear hellfire"

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

speng31b posted:

yeah, it's totally unrealistic, but as an opening point to negotiations it would be great to feel that the Ukrainians actually know it's unrealistic and aren't amping themselves up (with a healthy dose of western cheerleading) for insane unachievable hyper nationalistic goals of ethnic cleansing that will make it even harder to actually achieve something like peace

There's also the angle about comments like that being intended for internal consumption. Like when the DPRK talks about bathing the US in nuclear hellfire, that's mostly about speaking to people internally while nominally speaking directly to other countries. The nature of information and war is that we will never hear unvarnished assessments from anyone, and everyone is always propagandizing all the time, so trying to distinguish true belief and propaganda from statements is, at best, a fool's errand.

What is more important to watch for are what they do with their actual troops and resources. I think Ukraine would like to threaten Crimea, strategically that makes sense, and they might even make the occasional small attack in that direction, just to either try to catch Russia with its pants down or to keep Russian resources there tied up and not able to be deployed elsewhere, but until they start seriously massing troops and potentially giving up other, more winnable objectives, which I haven't seen any evidence of, it makes far more sense to interpret what they're saying about Crimea as a combination of red meat for the ultranationalists and something they can "give up" at the negotiation table.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Majorian posted:

Nah, that's a perfectly valid position to take IMO. Others may disagree and are free to argue against it, but it's not a particularly hot take.

Yeah, it's hard to look at the demographics and culture of Crimea pre-2014 (let alone after it) and make an argument it was culturally more aligned with Ukraine than Russia.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

speng31b posted:

drat, wish FF was here to tell us how the Pope's infallibility applies correctly

I remember something from my old theology lessons about him only being infallible when he speaks with his special "I'm being infallible now" voice, not just whenever

Not a Catholic, but the basic idea is that papal infallibility doesn't mean that the pope cannot make mistakes or say things that are wrong normally, but he has a special way to issue a statement that is referred to as speaking ex cathedra where he starts a special press release / statement with a specific combinations of words that basically mean "okay I am now speaking with the literal force of God's moral correctness so what I say next is objectively theologically correct so take special note".

For example, the pope once issued a statement ex cathedra about how when Mary was close to death, she was bodily taken into heaven and never experienced actual death. That's not anywhere in the Bible but because of being said ex cathedra it means that the Assumption of Mary is considered to be on the same level of Having Happened as the Sermon on the Mount or Jesus walking on the Sea of Galilee.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

The orcs expanded into Ashenvale recently.

watch garrosh start a loving war

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

speng31b posted:

ex cathedra right that's it

this is unrelated, but i knew a guy who got an official letter of excommunication from the bishop because he made microwave nachos with the communion wafers

yeah, if they were actually consecrated, that tracks

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

speng31b posted:

I don't think they were consecrated but they made an exception because he was such an extreme dick about it

he warmed them up in the cafeteria microwave and pretended they were a new cafeteria menu item called jesus nachos

lmao holy poo poo

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol at Michael "world's greatest sex machine" Tracey figuring out that the Republicans aren't actually anti-war

The man is quickly catching up to being more correct than Glenn Greenwald

Remember when Michael posted on Twitter that he was powerbombed through a table by Maxine Waters and then it turned out she tried to brush past him and lightly touched him with her hand when he got in her face? That ruled.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

speng31b posted:

pretty hosed up to see the admins laughing about michaels traumatic experience. there's nothing funny about michael tracey being publicly murdered by 84 year old us representative maxine waters

Excuse me, I think you mean attempted murder...

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I just threw up in my mouth a little

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

adebisi lives posted:

Remember when he live tweeted going through Kurt Eichenwalds underwear drawer?

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/852980830930685952?t=6V_k2gQO-2bcpXMGZ0L0pQ&s=19

He's a goddamn treasure.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

OctaMurk posted:

I am immune to Propaganda

As am I. Like my anti-communist forefathers, I never learned to read, and thus no propaganda can penetrate the fortress that is my mind.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

i think mao sort of hacked this by means of spoken-word poetry

truly there is no end to the deviousness of the communist menace

If anyone comes up to me and tries to tell me something via slam poetry (how I imagine anyone in the US would try to do spoken word) I will punch them square in the face just on general principles.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

PhilippAchtel posted:

The US is well aware of how nations use ostensibly neutral and reasonable UN resolutions to justify their own aggression because it's been their MO for 75 years.

Will these actions or the (ignored) resolution on the Cuba embargo a week ago change any perspectives on the nature of the UN?

lol lmao

It's funnier to me that people think UN resolutions matter anymore, if they ever actually mattered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

speng31b posted:

There's been some reporting recently that seems to indicate Ukraine and NATO are looking at retaking Kherson as the last big event before opening to negotiations

https://english.nv.ua/nation/us-and-nato-see-peace-talks-between-ukraine-and-russia-only-if-ukraine-liberates-kherson-50282205.html

From a pure power politics perspective, that does make sense. With the war being fought entirely within Ukraine's borders, and Ukraine not likely to want to give anything in peace negotiations that makes them more economically dependent on Russia than they already are, their best bargaining chip, such as it is, will be to convince Russia that if they wait longer to enter into peace negotiations that they will lose territory they currently control. Otherwise, what incentive would Russia have to come to the table?