Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Too lazy to look it up form the old thread, but - Nailed it!

As for what the Russians will do about it, my guess is nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1588612991401963520
[/quote]

Checks out, I bet he misses a 95% probability shot.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Majorian posted:

I took an overnight train from Moscow to Petersburg once, and it was like this. Very pretty, although I wish I had taken it during the daytime so I could see the landscape. Russia got the nice trains.

Exactly the same! Got free caviar too. Probably the best train ride I've ever had.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

looks like the Russian reserves aren’t going to make any difference, the ukranians pretty much have the Russians figured out and have an invincible defense. I will genuinely be surprised if the Russians manage any major breakthrough even during winter.

Read this post before noticing the poster and went "lol this sounds so much like a Saqr post".

Who knows tough, you might be right.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

he’s never been right

You can't lose when you bet on every single roulette number!

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Ardennes posted:

The problem is if the war itself is damaging the West in way that it really doesn't want to have to sustain. The damage being done to the Russia military very well simply not be sustainable in its current form, less because of funding, but because putting pressure on Western economies that can't be easily addressed. You can destroy some Russians tanks etc, but that very well may be fairly minor in the broader calculus as much broader supply issues are gathering pace and interest rates are getting to where a recession may turn into effectively a depression.

A lot of it depends on rates, and that the Fed (along with other major economies) may have to strangle their respective economies to get inflation under control, and the longer the war goes there is going to be a distortion in energy markets and broader global trade.

It may not be public opinion that ends the war, but that there is very real material damage being done to Western economies.

I agree that there will be a point where continuing the war might do more damage to the collective West than to Russia. Furthermore, we might be past that point.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

wow I can’t believe my impression from June that Russia will ultimately lose the war or settle for far less was true, what an embarrassing strategic catastrophe for the Russians.

Amusing that Ukraine got both Militarized and Nazified, failing on both of the Special Operation's stated objectives.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

what is your assumption of where things can go from here?

Ukraine becoming the Dubai of eastern Europe, as BoJo predicted.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Jel Shaker posted:

i guess the best thing to do is have either a ukrainian or russian flag on standby and wave them at whichever murderous band of warriors happen to march through your front garden

This has been true since the advent of the nation state (the flag bit I mean).

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

spacetoaster posted:

Excuse me? You putin puppets are hilarious. Ukraine is going to push Russia out of Ukraine and reclaim all lost territory. Anything less is completely unacceptable.

Wait, I thought anything short of Balkanization of Russia after ousting Putin is unacceptable.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

OctaMurk posted:

russias bombing ukraine every day, ukraine bombing some bombers is no big deal. thats just war

assassinating dugin's daughter, hitting the crimea bridge, or russia hitting power stations were all vastly more escalatory than this

It wasn't just any bomber tough; it was part of Russia's nuclear deterrent. If this strike had been wildly more successful than it was, I do see a scenario where things escalate.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Lostconfused posted:

Russia really hasn't reacted to any sort of Ukrainian strike or apparent escalation individually. Mobilization and bombing of infrastructure are a reaction to the general course of the war, not sabotage and terror attacks from Ukrainian side.

Idk, things really ramped up after the suicide bombing of the Kerch bridge. Whether it was just an excuse for a pre-planned action who knows.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Futanari Damacy posted:

Did they ever establish whether the driver was actually in on it

No idea, haven't heard anything about it since it happened, so yeah maybe not suicide. Sucks for the driver either way.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

This year has been awful. But worry not, as next one will be way worse.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

mlmp08 posted:

Russia has already announced they’ve destroyed the first Bradleys, too.….

I thought those still hadn't been delivered yet?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Just lol if the eventual Ukrainian defeat gets hanged on Germany.

Sending tanks into eastern Europe - Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

“We will apply for reimbursement to the European Union, it will be another test of good will,” Mateusz Morawiecki told a news conference.

The outcome of that test might not be the one they're hoping for.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Ardennes posted:

And if that is already over? If Ukraine collapses, I doubt Vichy Lvov or whatever could ever pay back debt.

Let's be honest, no one's gonna be paying/returning anything back. Whatever money and materiel sent can be considered gone for good, even if Ukraine "wins".

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Gorman Thomas posted:

Of all the equipment to provide, why tanks? Wouldn't mobile artillery be much more effective for Ukraine's immediate goals? Help me I'm an idiot

they already sent that, duh.

This is the hot new thing.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Hey remember all those Javelins and NLAWS that the Russians claimed to have captured last summer? If true (big IF), it'll be a great field test for superior Western ATGMs against superior Western tanks.

It's like Protoss vs Protoss!

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Endman posted:

I'm sure sending over a mixed up bag of different Western tanks that nobody in Ukraine knows how to operate or drive and whose technical manuals are all either in the wrong language or machine translated into pigeon Ukrainian will be fine

Well, they can send the operators too then.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Ardennes posted:

Either way, while Uranium is denser than steel, tungsten darts are denser than both.

Oh? The periodic table says otherwise...

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

So, what do the Ukrainians think would happen to them immediately after striking Moscow?

JK their plan is still to draw NATO in, particularly now I would imagine. Provoking a response that allows NATO to enter through strikes on Russia was, again, in that white paper on how Ukraine would win in 2023.

NATO is pretty drawn in at this point tbh.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, at the end of the day, either he would be airlifted out to Lvov if anything every got really bad in the first place.

Governing over post-war Ukraine won't be a fun job at all, I reckon he'll get airlifted no matter what happens.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Ardennes posted:

I wonder also how much SK is going to be that useful with NK just sitting over the border with a huge amount of artillery, SK has been pretty quiet with the current conflict.

Same with Israel. States that have something obvious to lose by alienating Russia because it can arm their traditional enemies have stayed our of this one.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Endman posted:

I'm sure if WW3 breaks out everybody will be nice and follow the "no nukes please :^)" rule

It's as sacred as "NO RUSH 5 MIN". It worked, most of the time.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

We seized all your international reserves and are getting ready to give them Ukraine. Also, wtf why are you not complying with treaty obligations?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Endman posted:

What side of WW2 was Bulgaria on again?

Bulgaria has a knack for always being on the losing side, ever since supporting Pompey over Julius Caesar. Bad omen for Ukraine.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

euphronius posted:

kind of like a settler unit with a combat score . I think Alpha Centauri had those

Only the best Neutronium armor for my colony pods.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Nobody is attacking when they're outnumbered and outgunned, just makes no sense

The odds are against John McLane, that's just the way he likes it.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

What is Rush B if not a human wave tactic?

Russians have been doing this poo poo forever.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Whatever happened to Russian helicopters? Did all of them get shot down or something?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Starlink satellites have been used to facilitate the operation of drones dropping explosives on Russians, making them legitimate target.

No surprise they're backing off here.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Well, the US invaded Iraq with about 500k so it might just be the magic number.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The 12 challenger tanks are more than enough to hold them, it'll be like the movie 300 surely.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

crepeface posted:

what if we ban all the pro-russia parties

you get a modern utopia, just ask Ukraine.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Ardennes posted:

Basically, there isn't a strong skin in the game on the West's part compared to just sending weapons until the Ukrainians simply run out of manpower.

There's always the chance of a freak accident drawing in the West unwittingly tough, specially under the constant escalation trend we've seen over the past year.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Couldn't they have waited a week to make it look less obvious?

Actually nevermind, it's pretty obvious why bombed the pipeline and there's no consequences anyway.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Cpt_Obvious posted:

That's 2 trillion dollars right there.

When people whine about the billions it would cost to mitigate carbon emissions I just think of these programs. Money well spent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Ardennes posted:

His chances on the outside probably aren't great either.

He's playing the only card he can at this point, which is to entrench himself as THE Russian Guaido and hope for the best.