Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Zeroisanumber posted:

S'ok. Worth a read just so you can throw the fact that you actually read it into the face of people who quote it out of context.

It's a much better book if you don't know its context when you read it as a teenager and assume it must be talking about fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

again why do people keep think anything will change even if america gets caught red handed regarding the pipe

I want the Germans to know for sure that the USA, their "ally", blew up their pipeline and lied about it.

I don't expect them to do anything about it. I just want them to know it. I want them to feel that knowledge slosh around in their heads.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

DancingShade posted:

My K/D ratio is like 100:1 all headshots no you can't check my account.

How are you posting after your death?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

And we're not scrambling in a near-panic to increase the gently caress out of the rest of the underwater infrastructure security.

Woah there. Just because we totally found out some random rich dudes from a poor country can pull off destruction on a level we previously thought the exclusive domain of state actors doesn't mean we need to worry about or even react to this information in any real way.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

A Bakers Cousin posted:

if you are a euro elite you dont have national interests

You've probably invested time and money into capturing European state apparatus that are being devalued though.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've seen these exact same arguments made many times here on this site: The war will end when Russia capitulates and agrees to pay compensation for the invasion. How Russia is supposed to be forced to capitulate, when they don't intend to and aren't anywhere near being pressured into doing so is always left as an unanswered question. I think they're just supposed to see the error of their ways and feel guilty and ashamed.

If the attacker doesn't achieve their goals within the turn limit then the defender wins and is awarded ante.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Wtf is even going on in this clownshoes conflict anymore? How can anyone even think they know what's going on?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

VoicesCanBe posted:

We can already see clearly the foundations of a "stabbed in the back" myth developing should Ukraine ultimately lose. Although in this case it might not even be a myth.

Trust the West, get betrayed like the rest.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Hmm I see you are offended by what I just said, but I think what you are not considering is that "human being" was originally a unit of measurement for a bundle of sticks. And now you look very silly. Go read a book and maybe learn something.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

You'd think the recruiters would take their jobs more seriously given Russia is going to genocide every Ukrainian if they win.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

dk2m posted:

Russia retreated all over the place last year for all sorts of reasons but the one that you’d want to believe is that the sight of your army sent them scattering. I can see how that would be a huge morale booster

now, they’re just sitting there with mile long minefields and the reality of attritional warfare seems to be slowly sinking in. recruitment is gonna get harder but I don’t think it’s hopeless yet. that might happen if the West decides to stop sending aid

It really is doing my brain in that people thought the mass retreat was ever going to be repeated. The retreat was largely and very clearly motivated by Russia's initial underestimation of Ukraine and overestimation of their own capabilities, both causing them to drastically overextend and requiring a retreat once Russia realized their initial approach would not work and they needed to consolidate their forces and dig in for a longer and more attrition-based conflict than they first assumed.

Why the gently caress would anyone think that example would be relevant after months of Russia digging in and executing a painfully slow expansion strategy? "Rapid and massive over-extension requiring retreat if the opposition should go on the offensive" does not describe the current Russian strategy at all.

I swear so much of West vs Russia military history could be described as we never imagined they were capable of adapting.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Akaiku posted:

do not step on this rake

The jokes here are easy. Too easy.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Isizzlehorn posted:

Grain is cheap, just buy it and grow profit based crops!

*looks at past year of grain export industry*

HoW cOuLd ThIs HaPpEn?

I hadn't really thought this through until now but growing what others want in order to buy from them what you need is a recipe for exploitation. Kind of like the employer/employee relationship actually. We're all about setting up relationships where one side becomes dependent on the other for survival so that other side can exploit the relationship for their own profit.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The Artificial Kid posted:

All I’m really trying to get at is there’s more nuance to the question of self sufficiency than “all countries must have their own supply of x, y and z at all times”

In times of peace and security it makes sense to be as economically efficient as possible. It also makes sense to look ahead and decide when it’s time to foster your endogenous capabilities again. This is being framed by some people here as an issue of the US manipulating other countries by tricking them into giving up their endogenous food production, but I think you could make an argument that the US itself has failed to read the weather on tech manufacturing.

When times are really bad the level of description where self sufficiency is required devolves down towards the individual.

There’s no blanket rule on self sufficiency for all times and places (except maybe that Juche is dumb).

Why does anyone grow food? If it's better to grow cash crops and import your staple foods, why do all the Western economic blocks grow their own staple foods? America, Canada, EU, Australia, even New Zealand grows their own food. Only the UK is an outlier and lol at the idea they're making sound economic decisions lately. Did you think grain was just magically cheap and worthless to grow? A large part of the reason staple foods are so cheap is because nations subsidize their agricultural industries in order to secure their food supply and then dump the extra on the international market real cheap.

Fundamentally, if a country can grow something it needs, it should not be advantageous for them to grow something else to trade for that need instead of growing it directly. Shipping costs alone should make that untenable. We're not talking computer chips, we're talking growing poo poo in the ground. And we're not talking a place where farming is a problem, we're talking about grain vs cash crops.

I'm not saying Afghanistan should not grow cash crops instead of grain given the circumstances, that may or may not be the case I really haven't done the leg work to study it. But if so, the reason is not because it's just the natural state of the world that you should grow cash crops instead of the actual food you need. It will be because the system we have put in place is hosed up.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

It's 1600 pages in two volumes but the gist is that 19th century liberal historians thought that these developments in Athens showed progress, efficiency, comfort, etc. but in reality Athens was on the break of bloody revolution when the Macedonians allowed people to get out from under their enlightened dictatorship of the bourgeois.

[...]

Even if The Artificial Kid is unreachable I still enjoyed these posts.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Well it is Rome and Rome is the birthplace of Catholicism.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

It's like a video game designer tweaking the challenge to keep the player engaged but not overwhelm them.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Miles Blundell posted:

the idea that the ruble being 98 to the dollar and ukraine capturing 100km² of empty farmland with their biggest offensive to date somehow means they have a chance

I wonder if libs can follow the logic that massive trade sanctions make the value of the Ruble less of a factor in Russia's overall economic health.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

It feels like we've advanced military technology to the point that we've rolled back to WW1. Maybe it's a Russia v Crimea thing, but it looks like if you're planning on going to war with a power then I hope you don't have anything else you wanna do for several years.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Never adapt to reality.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Ukraine is busy screaming for more support from the world and Russia is not even willing to call it an actual war while they go about opening new urban transport initiatives and expanding global partnerships. Yet at any moment Russia is going to be broken and lose this thing and Ukraine will push them back out of even Crimea.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Torpor posted:

the west went from espousing high moral standards to being a bunch of little bomber harrises and Curtis Lemays in record time.

Just as all thinly cut potatoes fried in oil bore the sin of their nation France refusing to join America in an illegal war against their forever enemy Iraq, all people born within Russian borders must bear the sin of their nation attacking beloved American ally Ukraine.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Once the war ends any remaining Ukrainian refugees probably lose white person status.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Maybe if they were fighting over unpopulated land and without conscription.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

fizzy posted:

One of the players in my Dungeons and Dragons adventure group said that if he were a Ukrainian, he'd want to keep fighting the Russians to the last Ukrainian. Ukraine's supporters should honour and respect the determination and agency of such Ukrainians.

I'd have fled the country as soon as the war started. If I was somehow stuck in the country I'd try defect to Belarus.

As an Australian I've never understood why other people would defend their country when they don't have the kind of reasons I have to defend mine (from a legit invasion, I wouldn't just join the military to "defend my country"). My country actually looks after me and is still somewhat of a society that cares about its people's welfare. Getting taken over by another country would suck even aside from the violence. But switching from being owned by the Ukrainian elite vs the Russian elite? gently caress that noise I'm not fighting to prevent that.

Phigs has issued a correction as of 01:05 on Aug 21, 2023

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Regarde Aduck posted:

i think the most obvious way people ended up with little options is because if you're not something like a computer toucher and don't have much savings then just moving to another country is gonna be very hard. I don't know what you'd do? Like ask for refugee status? Does that mean you can get sent back to Ukraine if Ukraine asks? If they were in the EU it would have been no problem but they're not so the best you can hope for is to be a penniless refugee and just hope you don't get shipped back because Zelensky asked nicely.

That's why I think I'd try to defect to Belarus if I couldn't manage to just leave the country at the start. You're running in a direction where you're less likely to be shot by the enemy but when you get there you can say if you don't let me in they will make me fight you. Which I think is probably the best chance once it became illegal to leave as a fighting age male.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

DancingShade posted:

You should check out imagery of the Ukraine - Belarus border before packing your bindle.

I never once claimed that I'd succeed!

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Good news for Ukraine is hard to find!

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

The spate of tweets in the past two days "We're not military experts, who's to say things aren't going well? We should be optimistic until events play out." is delusional.

It's not a negative narrative clouding a good situation, it's a manufactured narrative hitting reality and people scrambling.

Also they were definitely military experts just a few days ago.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

guys all of you berating sweden are missing the bigger picture

all of the countries in red gotta go, the fallout will take care of the pink.

president Xi, you know what must be done.

AreWeTheBaddies.jpg

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Danann posted:

we're independently rediscovering why armies dig trenches and also why armies prefer using high explosive shells instead of shrapnel shells

I guess I missed this when it was brought up, why do armies prefer using HE shells over shrapnel?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

tatankatonk posted:

lmao what a hall of fame european liberal career. get Finland to join NATO and then resign to work for tony blair

Former PM Sanna Marin quits Finnish politics to join Tony Blair Institute
Marin, who stepped down as leader of the Social Democrats after finishing third in April’s election, to resign as MP

Sanna Marin, the former Finnish prime minister, has announced she will work as an adviser for the Tony Blair Institute after stepping down as head of her party.

Marin, who became one of Europe’s youngest leaders when she took office as prime minister in 2019 and oversaw Finland’s successful application to join Nato, formally stepped down as head of the Social Democrats earlier this month. She plans to resign as an MP.

“Time to move on,” she told the Finnish broadcaster Yle as she announced her departure from Finnish politics. “I am eager to step into a new role. I also believe that it can benefit the whole of Finland. I believe that I can serve those voters [in Finland] well and maybe even better in the new assignment.”

The job will include advising countries, governments and leaders on policy issues such as good governance, technology, climate and gender equality, she said.

If you truly could serve your country "maybe even better" by resigning as a government minister and joining a foreign think tank then that should be a giant red flag for your country.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

HallelujahLee posted:

he's always been like this

How do you become a Zizek? I could pass for one and it seems like a good gig to just go about telling people your political opinions for money while looking like a slob, but nobody was passing out pamphlets about it on career days so I have no idea how to get there.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Just enlist everyone already. Every Ukrainian a soldier. No grandma gets to sit out this war.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Ukrainian soldiers playing the real life version of Battlefield desperately waiting for the commander to drop the loving smoke already so they can advance but it never comes because the commander is too busy spamming UAVs and artillery striking pointless objectives.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

At this rate Putin might just end European liberalism with this war.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I know the map barely every changes but it fucks me up to see the held territory every time, you don't really have to be looking hard to see that Russia is stalling the conflict

They're gonna win just by running out the clock.

It looks exactly like the land I'd demand in a peace deal in EU4.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Stairmaster posted:

Great work now she can experience hell on earth when she tries to interact with the general 40k community

The Imperium of Man.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

BULBASAUR posted:

idk, if it was truly that existential, the US would have done a lot more than sending 10 tanks and 5,000 rounds of mismatched ammo every month. The actions don't really match that level of importance.

The modern US leadership are not actually good at solving problems though. They're only good at pretending to solve problems or forever planning to solve problems. Sending 10 tanks and 5000 rounds of ammo is the tax rebate for businesses that operate in a disadvantaged community for more than 3 years style solution to knocking down Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

up until about ten years ago the assumption was that market reforms would lead China to more liberalization and that they’d sublimate themselves to the rules based international order.

It looked like China was on that path too, until they yanked the chain back at various points.