Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Ardennes posted:

Are a bunch of sentient s-300 systems posting now?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Majorian posted:

Good, glad he's not waving the bloody shirt over it.

id never heard this expression before n looked up what it comes from and lol

The phrases gained popularity with a fictitious incident of April 1871 in which U.S. Representative and former Union general Benjamin Butler of Massachusetts, while making a speech on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives, supposedly held up a shirt stained with the blood of a Reconstruction Era carpetbagger who had been whipped by the Ku Klux Klan. Although Butler did give a speech condemning the Klan that month, he never waved anyone's bloody shirt. White Southerners mocked Butler, using the fiction of his having "waved the bloody shirt", to dismiss widespread Klan thuggery and other atrocities, including murder, committed against freed slaves and Republicans.

im glad he didn't flip out either tho

have they figured out whose missile it was yet or where it came from?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Majorian posted:

The least bloodthirsty Western leader is a low bar to clear, but buh gawd he's doing it.:patriot:

hes legit really good for how insane the world has been during his term so far. student loan relief probably won the midterms over anything else

e: actually roe v wade lost it but i mean things the demmos could've done

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

oh i was agreeing but also talking about how hes been in general. i was expecting worse from biden

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

i wanna see someone do it on ice skates at like 40mph

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Regarde Aduck posted:

when these guys get captured will Russia send them to siberia or just hand them back again

catch and release warfare

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Lostconfused posted:

Orlan is just russian for sea eagle apparently.

I didn't even know there were sea eagles. It's a greek thing or something.

they're huge and downright intimating irl they just stare you down

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

mlmp08 posted:

Raytheon and US forces advise and train KSA on Patriot. But the operation of Saudi Patriot is performed by Saudis. Americans do not operate their systems for them and likely wouldn’t be invited to anyway.

us doesn't directly operate any other countries equipment for them outside of like, nato exercises, do they? like service and stuff yeah but actually operating things seems like it would be an easy way to accidentally get dragged into wars & cause all sorts of accountability problems if something bad happened

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Z the IVth posted:

Anything stopping them from just hiring a bunch of recently retired US air defence personnel to do the work?

They already have hired help for everything from construction to medicine so why not hire contractors to do AD as well.

They'll definitely do a better job than the inbred aristocrat in command.

china's been doing that with pilots haven't they?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

my tiktok for a horse

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Willa Rogers posted:

plus now I've broken my streak for having not posted in any war threads. :mad:

Peace trolls begone

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Tankbuster posted:

tbh mrs flake is right. The two of them get to live upper middle class pmc life and FF gets to read goofy french articles about how the SS would have won at dien bien phu

wait is a made up example or did someone really write a schutszstaffel-insert dien bien phu fanfic

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Delta-Wye posted:

i mean, its wild who was lenin and stalin's 'cook',

stalins & lenins cook was literally vladimir putin's grandpa

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiridon_Putin

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Frosted Flake posted:

Q For the nerd crew: Does burn through jam just mean turning the power dial up to 11? You don't do it with CBR or GSR so I have no idea how it works.

u have to burn through jams in Nebulous: Fleet Command and you do it by opening the context menu with right click and then left click 'BURN THROUGH'
however it has the potential to damage your sensors if done too often, especially if the BATTLE SHORT mode is set to on, which ignores cooldown timers for modules

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Cuttlefush posted:

friends been telling me to get this. heard it's good ewar standoff missile poo poo. tempted..

its good
cool but dry spacenavy atmosphere

they just added the second faction that uses rigged up civilian ships with casemate cannons and huge cargo ships w/ box container decoys/torpedos & it made the game a lot more dynamic

you can do all sorts of clever poo poo in it w/ jammers and guided missiles and good positioning its one of those kinds of games
pve is garbage tho dont bother for that

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The idea that the Abrams is invincible comes from the Gulf War, when they faced off against Soviet tanks in a depleted Iraqi army that didn't even have night vision optics.

i remember hearing the iraqi t-72s couldn't move while hitting targets at anywhere close the effectiveness the abrams could or something like that too, trash fire control system or the rate of the horizontal turret motors or something

idk if that was much of a factor or not tho, I'm guessing the biggest one was the airplanes 99.9% of the time

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Jel Shaker posted:

not sure about that tbh. aircraft carrier is just a big ship and most people probably just think of it as such

are you really saying that losing a flagship wouldn't register for the pearl harbor military origin mythos country lol

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

He would often remark, "Mr T is going to eat your BALLS!!!", his favorite color? Xbox Green. His favorite movie? Boondock Saints. "Radiohead, or Tool?" he asked us,

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Lostconfused posted:

Revolution just means making russia weak/unstable enough that an outside intervention is possible.

How that looks like, and what the consequences would be, is something that almost none of them think about.

i had someone argue to me that Russia freefall collapsing into wholesale regional/ethnic warlordism would be better than the status quo a lil while back

i assuming "better" in that context meant how many more landlocked central asian rump states littered with skull piles there would be but idk

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Frosted Flake posted:

Well, something I wish people would have sat down and told the various flavour of South Slav is: You can be on board for a big project or go on your own and be miserable. The Dual Monarchy offered that, but so did the two pan-slav states carved out of it. That the constitute nations of Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia couldn't get along despite being in the same empire for 300 years and their own nations for nearly 100, makes no sense to me at all.

picture this

you're two cultures sharing a country 50/50

it's only got one name

someone's name has to come first

how u gonna decide that and keep everybody happy

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
if I had a time machine id go back and suggest they swap to Slovakoczechia every 4 years at the start of the Olympics for the free pr: A Nation is Saved.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Egg Moron posted:

name the country like a dog

like bilko or bean boy or some poo poo

if every country did this there would be no war

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Unless they are buried and have the shape like an iceberg beneath the surface these aren't going to stop any engineering vehicle that would be used when creating a breach.

even the steel-reinforced, deep-foundation ones the germans had weren't useful fot much, the allies would just plow dirt onto a section and roll straight over them afaik

they don't stop anything that digging a big ditch wouldn't

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

They put all of those dragon teeth just at the edge of lines of artillery and machine gun nests, I don't think the point is to stop attackers so much as slow them down long enough to pick them off

nah they slapped em down in big lines like someone playing a tower defense game at the siegfried line

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
can't upload multiple but yea big af lines

what's a place to host images now that imgur is trash btw does anyone know or do I just need to buy webhosting again

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
last 1 I had to shrink it to make it fit but you can see it running all along the hill in the back left and a second parallel layer out of the shot

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

No I am talking about the way the Russians have deployed them, if you look at sat photos the dragons teeth are just at the edge of huge lines of artillery and machine gun nests

oooh whoops my b. link to sat pics? i haven't seen how they've been using them since they very first started and had the hollow ones collapsing in on themselves lol

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Frosted Flake posted:

You could say that ideology demanded that every inch of German soil be defended, which was impossible, because the military had been fought out on a suicidal offensive, which ideology had also demanded.

The Wehrmacht of November 1944 probably could have held a line somewhere, though again not along the entire German frontier, some ground would have to be given to shorten it, but after the Bulge, no chance.
"dont care, every inch. were called the nazis, not the somezis." - German Dictator Adolf Hitler's alleged remarks upon first hearing reports that Allied ground forces allied have reached the Rhine

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/10719658/satellite-pics-putins-dragons-teeth-defences-ukraine-offensive/

Ignoring all the tripe from the sun, you can see the trenches and artillery emplacements in the distance

wait are there supposed to be more pictures than the beach and this

because those look pretty much totally cosmetic, they're only 2 deep and spaced so far apart you'd only neds to displace two of them to make a gap for armor to pass

i can't see those serving any purpose besides stopping light vehicles from zooming past, I feel like any MBT at all would be able to shove them aside going any speed below where the impact would mess up the crew
with nothing going into the ground they'll just slide and with the large contact patch, low CoG & tapered edges they won't sink under the dirt easily when pushed, they'll just slide on top and their weight is nothing to a tank or probably even a fullsize towtruck or mini excavator to move since it doesn't even need lifted fully

they're incredibly anemic looking, i don't get why russia/wagner bothers with them unless it's some kind of aesthetic thing to impress domestic Russians - the labor would legit be better use just digging big tanktrap divots only instead because those at least you know for sure that the tank can't just go through on its own without stopping

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Yeah not getting into weird armchair general poo poo like this because it's really cringe dude, you're going into pages of skepticism over photo evidence so you can justify Russian incompetence and it's very weird

what

i was asking if those two picture were all that was in the page because yeah those look pretty pointless in comparison to every other defensive structure in the pics, the bunkers and trenches etc I'm asking if those are the ones you were talking about or if the page had more angles or shots

you don't have to get defensive lol i know it's not your dragon triangles and you didn't decide to put em there

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

lobster shirt posted:

i live in houston

u ever to to Paul Wall's grill store

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Jel Shaker posted:

the reporting on the bbc makes it sounds like he decided to do an impromptu hitler impersonation and shoot a real gun lol

saving this post for the inevitable bill maher kanye interview where this actually happens

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Ardennes posted:

Alao, the Kiev will fall in 3 days thing was from some TV pundits, it is like pretending Tucker is in control of the US military.

it's more like if Voice of America and C-SPAN were saying it

I'm not, totally 100% certain on it but I'm pretty sure that the 3 days thing originates from, and really took hold after this article accidentally published on 2/26, along with the day-one POWs who'd brought their dress uniforms for the Victory parade, and tablefulls of Russian officers booked weeks in advance for late feb/early March at nice kyiv restaurants

they didn't think the whole thing would be -done- in 3 days but they were absolutely expecting to pull off a decapitation strike and to have seized hostomel very early on, and been able to fly in reinforcements through it, and to take and hold kyiv right away

they thought they'd bribed a bunch of governors and mayors to defect & only Kherson did, they were looking to have the military defect/surrender quickly and after the first few days only be fighting uncoordinated resistance & wiping out Azov

they thought the kyiv admin would all be dead or out of the country by the time they rolled in in force & that people would give up when they saw the tank columns & 'warningshot' thermobarics they were dropping in fields and poo poo

that's why they had such problems with logistics while trying to rush in and fight after taking the airport failed, they weren't planning on having to do a traditional war-war, they were expecting bigger-crimean-occupation.

On Saturday (February 26) at 8am, the state-owned Russian news agency RIA Novosti posted a celebratory story written by Petr Akopov declaring, "Ukraine has returned to Russia."

https://web.archive.org/web/20220226051154/https://ria.ru/20220226/rossiya-1775162336.html

quote:

08:00 26.02.2022
A new world is being born before our eyes. Russia's military operation in Ukraine has ushered in a new era - and in three dimensions at once. And of course, in the fourth, internal Russian. Here begins a new period both in ideology and in the very model of our socio-economic system - but this is worth talking about separately a little later.

Russia is restoring its unity - the tragedy of 1991, this terrible catastrophe in our history, its unnatural dislocation, has been overcome. Yes, at a great cost, yes, through the tragic events of a virtual civil war, because now brothers, separated by belonging to the Russian and Ukrainian armies, are still shooting at each other, but there will be no more Ukraine as anti-Russia. Russia is restoring its historical fullness, gathering the Russian world, the Russian people together - in its entirety of Great Russians, Belarusians and Little Russians. If we had abandoned this, if we had allowed the temporary division to take hold for centuries, then we would not only betray the memory of our ancestors, but would also be cursed by our descendants for allowing the disintegration of the Russian land.

Vladimir Putin has assumed, without a drop of exaggeration, a historic responsibility by deciding not to leave the solution of the Ukrainian question to future generations. After all, the need to solve it would always remain the main problem for Russia - for two key reasons. And the issue of national security, that is, the creation of anti-Russia from Ukraine and an outpost for the West to put pressure on us, is only the second most important among them.

The first would always be the complex of a divided people, the complex of national humiliation - when the Russian house first lost part of its foundation (Kiev), and then was forced to come to terms with the existence of two states, not one, but two peoples. That is, either to abandon their history, agreeing with the insane versions that "only Ukraine is the real Rus'," or to gnash one's teeth helplessly, remembering the times when "we lost Ukraine." Returning Ukraine, that is, turning it back to Russia, would be more and more difficult with every decade - recoding, de-Russification of Russians and inciting Ukrainian Little Russians against Russians would gain momentum.

Now this problem is gone - Ukraine has returned to Russia. This does not mean that its statehood will be liquidated, but it will be reorganized, re-established and returned to its natural state of part of the Russian world. In what borders, in what form will the alliance with Russia be fixed (through the CSTO and the Eurasian Union or the Union State of Russia and Belarus )? This will be decided after the end is put in the history of Ukraine as anti-Russia. In any case, the period of the split of the Russian people is coming to an end.

And here begins the second dimension of the coming new era - it concerns Russia's relations with the West. Not even Russia, but the Russian world, that is, three states, Russia, Belarus and Ukraine, acting in geopolitical terms as a single whole. These relations have entered a new stage - the West sees the return of Russia to its historical borders in Europe . And he is loudly indignant at this, although in the depths of his soul he must admit to himself that it could not be otherwise.

Russia formed a delegation for negotiations with Ukraine
Did someone in the old European capitals, in Paris and Berlin , seriously believe that Moscow would give up Kiev ? That the Russians will forever be a divided people? And at the same time when Europe is uniting, when the German and French elites are trying to seize control of European integration from the Anglo-Saxons and assemble a united Europe? Forgetting that the unification of Europe became possible only thanks to the unification of Germany, which happened according to the good Russian (albeit not very smart) will. To swipe after that also on Russian lands is not even the height of ingratitude, but of geopolitical stupidity.

The West as a whole, and even more so Europe in particular, did not have the strength to keep Ukraine in its sphere of influence, and even more so to take Ukraine for itself. In order not to understand this, one had to be just geopolitical fools.
More precisely, there was only one option: to bet on the further collapse of Russia, that is, the Russian Federation. But the fact that it did not work should have been clear twenty years ago. And already fifteen years ago, after Putin's Munich speech, even the deaf could hear - Russia is returning.

unrelated but wanna take a sec to point out their state media:
  • Literally Answering the Ukrainian Question

• extolling the duty of all true Russians to reclaim their ancestral homelands and reunite with their lesser kin

• who inherently have no right to exist independently of Russian dominion or see themselves as a separate people or states in any context, historically, contemporarily or in the future

• emphasizes that to consider such is insanity. After all, there is only one True Rus, and it is in Moscow.

crazy how the whole ukronazi justification disappeared when it was a presumptive victory, not one mention of a nazi government, not even one mention of protecting ethnic Russians in Ukraine, only of
  • the glorious retaking of their ancestral lands,
  • returning the Unity of Volk that was humiliatingly robbed from them by the stab-in-the-back betrayal of Ukraine's unnatural independence in 1991
  • and celebrating the coming total liquidation of, and end of history for, an anti-russian or Russia-independent Ukraine

i get how someone can Not support Ukraine & absolutely understand how someone could oppose NATO, I'm not saying "how can anyone not support Ukraine" here

but at the same time, i really don't understand how anyone can reach the position that Russia has any intentions that are or ever were anything good or benevolent for anyone in Ukraine after Russia precummed an actual honest-to-god "Blood&Soil: A Return to the Natural Order of GroßRussia" state media announcement 3 days into this mess and were planning to coup/invade transnistria, moldova and the rest of Georgia on the success of taking Kyiv - is Azov in Tblisi, too? NATO and the CIA funding Transnistrian Nazis?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

atelier morgan posted:

russia are also the bad guys

okay then why do so many people itt buy their poo poo lol

i get why otherforum Ukrainethreads believe their poo poo, because it's all over western media, but then there's people in here willfully believing that Russia is trying to help the Ukrainian people, is acting in good faith, is trying to limit the amount of bloodshed and civilian casualties after leveling several cities, and isn't kidnapping hundreds of thousands of children and russifying/reeducating them, that Ukraine/the west forced them to mass forces on the border for months and then invade, and so on

also people believing the states-rights-tier myth that this is is in any way about Russia fighting naziism in Ukraine: yes there's nazis there, and yes they're fighting them but it has nothing to do with why they're there and they brought their own nazis too

it's genuinely bewildering idk

e:also i know that this thread isn't a monolith & there's like no aspect that it's in total agreement on so before like 10 people who don't think any of that stuff start yelling at me: I'm just referring to the people that do subscribe to that stuff

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 00:07 on May 28, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Cuttlefush posted:

it's actually still there

nah its gone just checked

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

speng31b posted:

stop arguing with made up people or the generic concept of the thread. if you think someone believes something be specific. there might be some people who have occasionally argued anything like the specific things you just mentioned but for the most part you are making stuff up or bringing up old forums grudge BS

those were all specific examples from this thread
I'm not trying to call people out tho & none of them were like, objectionable posts just confusing - the thing that really gets me i guess, more than any of those specific examples (and where I've seen the examples i gave) is when someone posts a Russian media piece or telegram post or whatever and people seem to eat it up & take it at its word - recent example the belgorod russians all being dead when they'd actually just left, the
Zaluzhnyi is dead/hit with a missile/AWOL in Cyprus thing, dead patriot, thread eats it up every time

it just seems like some i want to believe stuff, like, seeing NATO as fully dishonest by default, and that then leading to some logical short circuit where stuff that runs counter to NATO's lies must be true, instead of being different lies

i guess that's what I'm really getting at, the media literacy seems all over the place and i don't get it. people do deep investigations into ukranian claims to disprove/contest them while Russia's are often accepted at face value with the primary litmus seeming to be if they're running counter to the automatically dismissed western claims, not due to any veracity of their own

it's not like, a problem though, just gives a strange cognitive dissonance feel

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Neurolimal posted:

Since everyone's airing out their theories here's my take on the snip

im still catching up on this thread but wanna say ty for this post; it's well written and covers & connects the points it's making without requiring 1500 pg. of supporting resources & i always appreciate these kinda writeups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

speng31b posted:

yeah people are generally lovely at deciphering what is real and fake in the media landscape of the most reddit rear end war in history. when you mix in shitposting it's also pretty hard to know if someone reposting a lovely tweet even believes it or just thinks it's stupid or funny or whatever. that's my take anyways

in the future if you want to make a point don't start off by making up stuff that sounds like you are just generically levelling criticisms at the thread if you don't want people to take it that way. that's my advice.

it was kinda a tangent
i was initially only meaning to respond about where the 'Kyiv in 3 days' line first came from and then rereading that article it's using such political-in-the-40s flavored language that i got distracted from why I'd first started writing the post
i was p much thinking aloud "regardless of feelings on ukraine/western influence, how can anyone believe any of the stuff russia is claiming is going on now, when they would've been pushing This domestically on day 4 if they'd succeeded w/ the coup" than trying to push any cohesive point of contention or criticism

and again to clarify so its not taken the wrong way by people who might think I'm calling them out: it was not referring to the entire thread at all, just moments where some people respond to rumor mill stuff like it's a peer reviewed study, but i didn't really make that obvious

for the record this thread probably does that the least of any ukrainethreads, since it tends to believe less stuff media is saying in general, it's just a good bit harder to raise issues that might be seen as critical of western/ukranian messaging in the gbs/d&d threads without it becoming a total mess
+ i already harped on em over the violent footage/russian troop dehumanizing stuff a lot recently and don't want to get branded a shitstarter peacetroll - i don't have any beefs w/ this thread or people in at all n don't want to get lumped in with the people doing myteam yourteam :dings: