Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Goddamn I was worried I'd never be able to hug or kiss Putin or deny genocides again

Did Ukraine invade Kherson when Russia was weakest (without our support obviously)?

Editing to say this is extremely tongue in cheek just in case but this thread is the source of all my news/propaganda so were there any movements actually?

Paramemetic has issued a correction as of 23:20 on Nov 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
If you didn't get in on the first page you might as well pack it in because Kyiv is still Ukrainian

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
goddamn a thousand new posts

something significant must have happened wrt the war

oh, I see

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

CODChimera posted:

oh gently caress i forgot our posting is part of the war

the liberation of bakhmut and all of donetsk depends on our posts

if we do not outpost these gbs nerds on our home turf Putin will withdraw his economic support for cspam and also we will disappoint our comrades in the DPR who might surrender out of grief for our posting defeats

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

kronix posted:

Yeah maybe not orphaning children in the first place would stop the whole issue.

I’m sure they’ll be explaining to these children that their dead parents were just unfortunate victims of a situation out of their control and not worthless Nazis who required extermination.

Fully agreed

Ukraine should stop murdering these Russian speaking parents mostly from DPR and LPR so that they are not orphaned by conflict

They should also stop trying to deny Russian speaking children from Russian speaking households the opportunity to go to school in their own language

Good thoughts

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Frosted Flake posted:

The Ukrainians have been lobbying Germany specifically extremely hard for surface warships and submarines. The Ukrainian Navy just lost its last surface vessel a week or so ago, a landing craft that had been hiding in rivers but was caught docked in Odessa. That's neither here nor there. The basic point is that the plan is fanciful in the extreme and I don't see a way for Ukraine to be gifted warships that's not, in effect, a German declaration of war. Most relevantly, Germany is not connected to the Black Sea, so a "Ukrainian" warship would be operating from a German port to operate in the Baltic or White Sea.

Of the various diplomatic and media campaigns, for Leopards, for F-16, this one has the least viability and the least traction, but Ukraine's strategy of trying to bully/lobby allies is one of the most unexpected developments of this war imo.

you think this but Ukraine is close to completing the chronosphere and then it'll be trivial to move those ships to the black sea, big rear end cruisers that will just gently caress up a conyard

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Frosted Flake posted:

You can also see how they painted themselves into a corner with the GPS stuff, because the requirement to "counter or mitigate GPS denial" with items such as "anti-jam antennas, sensor fusion schemes to leverage other available sensors, or other technologies" should not be part of a field artillery gun.

Since the electronics on the guns now barely work, and require a lot of power (which is unreliable) addressed in the next item, enhanced batteries, and the weight is already a problem, the fifth item, they turned the original 1970's specification for a lightweight, towed 155mm gun-howitzer into... well it's going to have the power and antennae to burn through jam? Really?

Like, what the gently caress are we doing here people?

I love these posts because they reflect problems in other fields, like video vs direct laryngoscopy. Except video laryngoscopy is straight up better with a much better first pass success rate and a hospital is one of the few places you can usually expect "the batteries are dead" to not be a problem. It's neat seeing "why are we doing this when the old ways are better and cheaper" but it's actually true instead of just being old dudes pining for the simpler past or whatever.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Frosted Flake posted:

It never occurred to me that this might happen in other fields because I assumed the opportunities to skim and inflate costs weren't as great and there wasn't a captive market. But of course healthcare would be the other area where there are companies who want a slice and can charge what they want.

There's a legit concern and problem in US healthcare right now with the physical exam skills of physicians are getting worse. Every patient gets point of care ultrasound and a CT pan scan basically and as a result skills in identifying things that previously required knowledge and experience is replaced with looking at a radiology report. Routinely doctors in other countries look far more high speed because they can identify the affected lung nodes in a pneumonia patient with egophony or whispered pectoriloquy whereas American doctors need an ultrasound for that.

They're pushing ultrasound into ambulances right now and there's exactly one case where I can see it actually affect the care I provide and not just be a little extra box I can check (that will be ignored because the receiving doctor is gonna order an ultrasound and panscan of his own as soon as I arrive). Incidentally those machines are very expensive to put on ambulances! :hmmyes:

The monitor on my ambulance costs like 35000 but I can find basically the same thing on AliExpress, it just isn't allowed on US markets. Regulations are good if you don't want your submarine to implode but they make it virtually impossible for new movers to enter markets which means in EMS we're pretty much completely beholden to Stryker, Ferno, Zoll, and Phillips. The lockmarts, Raytheons, and Boeing's of healthcare lmao

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Lostconfused posted:

helicopter crash.

Putin's chef Yevgeny Prigozhin's plane was shot down over the Baltic Sea... it spun in. There were no survivors.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
and also like covid it's completely over

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

got basically the same score, glad we're winning on the Chinese meme

But also lmao what the gently caress is this test asking constantly about rights and moral rights and poo poo? Countries don't have a "moral right" to security, they have guns, and political power flows from those barrels and not from some kind of insane idea about imaginary borders granting sovereign rights.

Is this how lib brains work? Do they not understand that Russia is doing what Russia thinks it needs to do not because they have a right, but because they can? That Israel is doing what it can? And that if all Israel were doing was securing borders it would be different, but instead they're bombing hospitals?

Like the moral failings of Israel aren't with regard to its use of force, that's just a thing states do, it's the whole genocide thing that is the issue.

Aaaaaaaaaaa

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Oh man that is so wild, can't believe they're not signatories, I wonder what other nations aren't signatories or otherwise haven't ratified? I wonder if any parties involved specifically said they were postponing their ratification because they knew they would be accused of war crimes? Anyways, real dang weird all around, oh welp

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

comedyblissoption posted:

fret not, a popular american ex-cable news host is covering ukraine's hostility to journalism to fill the void left by the mainstream much like what happened with assange during trump's presidency
https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/status/1733581286256607619

https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/status/1733673083993485551

it's frustrating because on the one hand I definitely think the maidan regime is silencing dissent and I believe they have imprisoned this so-called American journalist, but on the other hand I would like to see a large number of so-called American journalists imprisoned and/or tortured

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

DancingShade posted:

I'm the battalion of 8 guys.

If they had battlemechs those low numbers wouldn't an issue. The military industrial complex really needs to step up its offerings.

That's still only 2 lances, they'd still get mopped up by the superior clan mechs from clan ghost bear.

It's too bad they violated Russia's batchall by bringing in all the extra NATO poo poo, would've saved a lot of lives otherwise.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

DancingShade posted:

"Up to" is doing a lot of work there

Also just hold out until we can build a factory first.

It's bold but sometimes the warfac first strategy can pay out if you get earlier light tanks and rush

What's that? You say we're already in the midgame?

piss

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

euphronius posted:

like sue for peace ?

wow are we still sucking and loving for Putler?! Mods?!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Putin is increasingly isolated.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

So then this guy is admitting Kiev is historically Russian?? Not the win he's thinking here tbh

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

vaxxed??

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
The purpose of the statement is "if you get conscripted you'll probably just be a cook or a mechanic hah hah no need to worry about dying please stop hiding and enlist!!" and to that end they have defined "front line" as "have gotten literally within bayonet distance of Russian infantry"

The troops aren't missing, they're just trying to pretend that more than half the force is non combat roles (lol medics) and that dudes getting mulched by artillery or missiles in Motor D or whatever weren't "on the front line" if they weren't in brawling range of a Russian

Edit: taken this way it's almost more dire because it means their perpetual retreat has had 30% of their forces in rifle range of Russians, which if you look at the structure of modern armies like the guy said above is awful, but also worth noting that those "modern armies" with the long tail and 100 support troops for every elite operator etc are specific to US colonial policing and not fighting conventional wars where you have to hold a line

Paramemetic has issued a correction as of 15:37 on Mar 4, 2024

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

DaysBefore posted:

Are the stupid nazi bitches in Kiev surrendering yet. Is anyone even pretending to do diplomacy anymore

The Pope suggested maybe they should think about it but it's because he's an ardent genocidal Putinist obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
A substantial problem in my opinion is that American concepts of bilingualism are that of a kind of academic fluency which in reality isn't strictly necessary and comes from years of interaction with people and culture. When talking to people in countries where it's very common to speak multiple languages, my experience is there's a limited transactional level for basic commerce, and then a slightly more fluent conversational level, and then you build into that kind of real fluency. But this whole idea of benchmarked fluency is kind of nonsense, you speak the language in that you can communicate your ideas or you don't. The degree to which you can develop your thoughts in that language is the whole thing.

I translate Tibetan, I like to think in the sense that I take the ideas and transfer them into English in the most accurate way, not word for word machine translation, but without adding my own conceptions or ideas or cultural baggage into it to the extent that that's possible, and by collaborating with native speakers to try to ensure that's the case. Being a good translator really does require your brain to break a bit.

I'm not an interpreter tho. I speak Tibetan like a precocious 6 year old. I can do transactions, limited conversation, and then even deeper conversation about buddhist stuff because that's what I translate so I have a great vocabulary there. You want to talk about the nature of a tree as empty and devoid of essence and I'm your guy. You want to say you think the wood is mealy and I'm gonna be saying poo poo like "it's soft and gone to waste" because I don't know how to say mealy. I might code switch.

When I'm at work as a medic doing Spanish I don't pretend I can speak it enough to not need the translator line for things like consents but I can ask someone to have a seat, tell me if something hurts, and do most of my clinical assessment in Spanish.

You don't have to be fluent to speak a language you just have to be able to be understood and to understand others and the weird fixation that you can't say you speak a language unless you have absolute fluency is dumb

Okay that's my rant what thread even is this is this the war thread? XOXO Putin