Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Hello Friends. Here we are again. I understand this OP is long as gently caress but please read it in it's entirety.

If you want to know why the prior thread was closed and read the discussion behind the thread reboot and associated rule changes please go this QCS post. :siren: Do not continue the discussion from the QCS thread in this thread:siren:. That's a quick way to get this thread closed again, and permanently

I'm going to put the three main rule updates for this iteration of the thread right here at the top so there is absolutely no confusion [lightly edited for complete clarity]:

October 6th 2022 update posted:

:siren: There is now a much higher threshold for considering videos with on-camera visible death 'newsworthy' in that it will rarely be considered newsworthy. Please use good judgement and use :nms: tags, de-embedding, and content warnings judiciously. I can and will remove anything that I don't consider to meet the increased threshold and I can and will punish offenders at my discretion up to and including bans :siren:

October 31 2022 update posted:

:siren:Bloodthirst/excessive reveling in the death/misfortune of soldiers or civilians is now explicitly and definitively punishable by probation or ban. This is subject to ramps for repeated offenses. :siren:

Please remember that it's human beings on both sides of this conflict. Dark jokes are a way of reacting/coping with horrible things, but as always going to far will cost you some time off and maybe 10 dollars.

Remember: to be a joke it needs to be funny. The mods/IKs have final say on what's funny

November 1st 2022 update posted:

:siren:By Rule of Jeff NO MORE DISCUSSION OF OTHER FORUMS OR THEIR POSTERS IN THIS THREAD:siren:

This will be strictly enforced via time off and/or bans depending how severe the violation is, history of similar violations, and how irritating I find the post. Repeated violations of this rule and/or Mod/IK failure to enforce it will result in this thread being gassed. I do not want this thread to be gassed

Govern Yourselves Accordingly

This thread is about the war in Ukraine, its effects (affects? whatever.) across the world, and now apparently the re-meltdown of the former Soviet bloc as Russia has shown themselves to be not big strong bear but moldy taxidermized raccoon.

Main rules:

This is not D&D: Normal GBS rules still apply. Some people may shitpost, some people may post interesting information, some may just be wondering what the hell is going on. These are all valid ways of posting. We're not going to be enforcing D&D style rules here.

:siren:Be respectful to your fellow poster: :siren: This is a fraught time for a lot of people. Some people may have relatives in Ukraine or Russia, some may be from countries bordering the conflict, some may actually be in an active war zone. Emotions are running high. Please be mindful of other people's situations - you may not know what they're feeling to relative to this war. Don't start calling people names because you disagree with them. Flinging around words like nazi/tankie/fascist shuts down conversation and makes the thread worse for everyone.

:siren:No slapfighting: :siren: - See the updated rule above, but this also applies to on-topic slapfighting. This includes posting about your thread enemies. We'd ask that you take personal stock and see if you're getting way too invested in an online argument. If so, please step back for a bit. The thread will still be there when you cool down. Conversely, if someone does step back, cools down and comes back to the thread, do not renew the argument. You will get a probation for renewing the argument

If you've noticed something that violates the rules re: bloodlust report specific posts. Vague accusations flung in thread and bad faith strawmen will be considered violations of the previous two rules and are subject to probes with or without warning.

NWS images: This is a tough one since this war is playing out on social media in such a visible and purposeful way. As such, there are often disturbing images from the war that proliferate online. If you're going to post something like that, please consider the following:

1) Is this newsworthy? The threshold for 'newsworthy' has been vastly increased - see updated rule from 10/6
2) Why am I posting this?
3) Does this advance the conversation in any way?
4) Has this been posted in the last few pages?

Notes on content warnings and what's OK to post in here

- Military equipment getting blown up, non-graphic footage/images of destroyed buildings, and footage/images of ongoing explosions are fine but please include content warnings when they are appropriate.
-- If it's something that would be shown on the 9pm news it's probably OK to leave off a content warning but make sure the description is clear if you do
--Please consider if this thread really needs yet another video of a tank exploding. That's not newsworthy or interesting at this point
- Anything gory or with visible death: See updated rule from 10/6. Err on the side of not posting it at all
-- News articles with photos or videos are generally acceptable but ALWAYS include content warnings and tag as :nms: if the header image contains gore or corpses.
- Always include a brief description with your link and just don’t spam poo poo. It doesn’t need to be a play by play but something someone can read and determine “I can handle that” or “yeah nah”
-- If you don't want the link to auto-embed, uncheck the "automatically parse URL" button below the text field.
- Videos of torture/mutilation of soldiers or civilians are not to be posted or linked in the thread at any time for any reason. If you do you will be taking a long posting break and will be paying 10 dollars or risking your account.
-- News coverage of same can be linked with appropriate content warnings and tags
- Failing to include content warnings and tags as appropriate is subject to probation or ban

- If you see something that is not following the above guidelines report it and/or PM myself, one of the IKs, or an admin. We will take a look at it and deal with the post as seems appropriate.

If the above posting guidelines still seem too lenient then this is probably not the thread for you. It's a war, there will be coverage of violence. Please be kind to yourself and understand what is and is not something you can handle.

Don't be weird and racist against anyone, including Russians: Using the term 'orcs' or 'hohols' falls into this category. Yes you can be racist against different types of Europeans, Europe has had time to develop varieties of racism us filthy Americans can only dream of

Make use of the report button: With what's going on in the world, along with our personal and professional lives, we can't sit in threads and :f5: every minute of every day to make sure it's on track. We count on the community to help us out in this. We do take every report into consideration, and we would encourage you to use it if you think rules are being violated. Please don't report people who just disagree with you. That's petty and dumb.

These rules are subject to change, so please check back every so often. We want GBS to be a great community, even in the midst of all that's going on. If you have any concerns/suggestions/complaints about the rules please PM me. We want this thread to stay on topic and be a relatively chill place to read and post about the war. Don't gently caress that up for everyone.

IK List
Tarquinn (Euro timezone)
Karma Comedian (US timezone)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Russia bad

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I think Russia should get out of Ukraine

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Personally, I do not care for Putin's invasion of Ukraine.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rahu posted:

Here here.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Putin is a complete piece of poo poo, he loving sucks. Slava Ukraini

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
I think Russia invading Ukraine is very bad.

Jefferson
Oct 28, 2010
I think this Putin guy is a real jerk!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The World War Threead is dead, long live the World War Threead

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think that war is a land of contrasts

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

You know what this means????

MAPS
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1588249262432755714?s=20&t=_O9EuGKiPJGAiHDucKDO3Q
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1588249278199189505?s=20&t=_O9EuGKiPJGAiHDucKDO3Q
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1588249289905811457?s=20&t=_O9EuGKiPJGAiHDucKDO3Q
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1588208562223841282?s=20&t=cDw3Pq24kU9qxLG7a-oSLw

And a nice thing!!!!
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1588097442964176896?s=20&t=cDw3Pq24kU9qxLG7a-oSLw

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Posting

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mikemil828 posted:

I think Russia invading Ukraine is very bad.

I think the Russians who planned and ordered the invasion are, quite possibly, bad people.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I think the Russians who planned and ordered the invasion are, quite possibly, bad people.

Requesting a ban for this poster

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Welcome back thread. I hope to be reading many more awesome reports of Ukraine dunking on Russia in the best possible way here, until Russia is completely gone from Ukraine forever.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator posted:

Welcome back thread. I hope to be reading many more awesome reports of Ukraine dunking on Russia in the best possible way here, until Russia is completely gone from Ukraine forever.

Please stop it with the bloodlust, requesting another ban.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I'll never get enough of these videos of the locals welcoming the UKR forces.

Yesterdays Latte
Nov 14, 2021
Yay new thread! I really missed being able to stick my head in and look at how things are going. I look forward to being useless white noise again with everyone :)

Toxic Mental posted:

I think Russia should get out of Ukraine

:hmmyes:

KitConstantine posted:

You know what this means????

MAPS
:peanut:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

There is a war?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Frabba posted:

I'll never get enough of these videos of the locals welcoming the UKR forces.

I hope we get a ton more videos of old ladies forcing pancakes onto Ukrainian soldiers.

Just take a pancake!

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Rahu posted:

A bold and controversial opinion, yet non the less right.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Which one is the great satan this time

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

imo, genocides are bad

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Excited for the return of maps.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zathril posted:

Excited for the return of maps.

*hitting table* MAPS! MAPS! MAPS!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Poot Poot

Fuckem

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I must agree with this assessment.

e: however, I will still not be calling Putin 'Poot Poot'

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
been on this site a long time and I still don't understand the purpose of closing threads and opening them again. anyway, gently caress putin.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1588107211837956096?s=20&t=Db_EOXDEGm9tJYGs_RKcQg

Latest news from when the thread was closed - seems like the retaking of Kherson is imminent.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Why do they call him Putin when you put in the untrained conscripts put out 200 lose the war?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This got buried in the last thread but I recall a tweet saying that the Russians have been taking close to 800 casualties a day since mid October. Is there any source to back this up? Because that's the kind of number that at once sounds hyperbolic but also plausible given how we live in wacky times.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

For those who aren’t military experts like me:
Guns=pew
Tanks=PEW
Bombs=PEWWW
Good soldiers=brave
Bad soldiers=booooooo
Russia=vodka
Ukraine=pierogi

Any questions? :smug:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Arc Hammer posted:

This got buried in the last thread but I recall a tweet saying that the Russians have been taking close to 800 casualties a day since mid October. Is there any source to back this up? Because that's the kind of number that at once sounds hyperbolic but also plausible given how we live in wacky times.

I know Ukraine has claimed 800+ kills on specific days but I don't think it's been an every day kind of thing.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Crapilicious posted:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1588107211837956096?s=20&t=Db_EOXDEGm9tJYGs_RKcQg

Latest news from when the thread was closed - seems like the retaking of Kherson is imminent.

I thought it's kinda weird that Russians would take down their own flag on a retreat. Maybe locals or do Russians have a weird veneration for their flag like the Americans do?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

GABA ghoul posted:

There is a war?

Of course not, the Crimean War was like two hundred years ago

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Cthulu Carl posted:

I hope we get a ton more videos of old ladies forcing pancakes onto Ukrainian soldiers.

Just take a pancake!

is it too late for kherson watermelon?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Jillian poo poo posted:

For those who aren’t military experts like me:
Guns=pew
Tanks=PEW
Bombs=PEWWW
Good soldiers=brave
Bad soldiers=booooooo
Russia=vodka
Ukraine=pierogi

Any questions? :smug:

Wait, I thought Poles were pierogis. That's what Polish Night at the ballpark has been teaching me!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crapilicious posted:

There's some hypothesis that they are trying to bait the Ukrainians into taking it faster to entrap them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

I thought it's kinda weird that Russians would take down their own flag on a retreat. Maybe locals or do Russians have a weird veneration for their flag like the Americans do?

Sort of? Also the civil staff has been pulling out of Kherson for the last couple weeks according to rumors.

They've also abandoned checkpoints in and near the city
https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1588249781406552064?s=20&t=_O9EuGKiPJGAiHDucKDO3Q
and are setting up fortifications on the other side of the river
https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1588212319649239040?s=20&t=_O9EuGKiPJGAiHDucKDO3Q
Russians are also apparently sinking boats still on the wrong side of the river
https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1588145038051213312?s=20&t=_O9EuGKiPJGAiHDucKDO3Q
If this is true they are definitely fully bailing though
https://twitter.com/NLwartracker/status/1588244652708487169?s=20&t=_O9EuGKiPJGAiHDucKDO3Q