Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

if Taiwan had a referendum to be independent that has to be respected right?

Taiwan isn't a secessionist entity, it's a rump state representing the Chinese government before the Communists took over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1629166155746123778
Big Bad Russia scared of people leaving floral tributes again :rolleye:

There is precedent for Illegal Flower Tributes in authoritarian countries.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Tai posted:

that Chinese map is a good start. I think Ukraine probably needs to lose Odessa too to prevent them ever thinking about aggression again

Lmao not even trying to keep the mask on.

That map is probably not Chinese, it appears to originate from some Russian bloggers, and nothing like it is referred to in the Chinese plan.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
^:argh:

That map that got posted has not been actually confirmed to be real, and given how lovely it looked I'm pretty hesitant to take it at face value. Ukraine or China are going to assuredly going to show the media about any plan, and Ukraine would loooove to have a lovely map showing how China/Russia plans to portion out Ukraine or whatever that they can flash around.

So like just wait for some confirmation before leaping on obvious rage bait.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 25, 2023

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

The map is probably not real

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

The proposal that China put forward reads like it was generated by ChatGPT if you asked it to generate a proposal for world peace. It seems unlikely that they generated a map that hands everything East of the Dnipro to Russia.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I like this thread (though I swap through the DnD and GiP one as well) but for the love of god please have a bit more online media savy and critical thinking skills when it comes to poo poo on twitter. The CGI washing machine fiasco should have been a sign for us all.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Grape posted:

Taiwan isn't a secessionist entity, it's a rump state representing the Chinese government before the Communists took over.

Taiwan is just its own sovereign nation and everyone needs to stop the hoopla and just admit it and move on

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

I like this thread (though I swap through the DnD and GiP one as well) but for the love of god please have a bit more online media savy and critical thinking skills when it comes to poo poo on twitter. The CGI washing machine fiasco should have been a sign for us all.

But that would make the thread way less funny?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Vlad Puchin is a fuckass.

Glad to see they now have the good tanky-tanks. Hopefully America will send over mighty Ty Pennington to make a surprise unveiling of racks of ATACMS being towed behind them to serve along with the tanks proper at the elaborate handover ceremony/dramatic unveiling. Also one of the tanks is totally decked out in a hasty tropical fish theme after one of Zelinsky's kids mentioned in a passing reference to liking them.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I've been drinking and going through Criterion Channel, and stumbled upon Kaurismäki's filming of the Total Balalaika Show, a concert in 1993 in which the Red Army Choir and a bunch of Finnish rock'n'roll layabouts called the Leningrad Cowboys put on a show in the Senate Square in Helsinki and over 70k people came to celebrate. For us Finns it signaled the end of the Cold War more than anything else, I guess! I've gone back to the concert many times, but now, after the last year it has lost its warm nostalgia and instead stands as a sad memorial to a path not taken, to the optimism that the good sides of the Soviet experiment could've been salvaged while letting go of the bad ones. Looking at it today of all days makes me just so bottomlessly sad. All that potential down the drain while thousands upon thousands of lives are again lost in slaughter, all for the completely futile dream of Russian Empire.

The concert itself is rad, though. Here's a sneak peek for those who haven't got a clue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNSfhhrWINE

e: changed the video to the way more representative one, hah

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 25, 2023

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Toxic Mental posted:

Taiwan is just its own sovereign nation and everyone needs to stop the hoopla and just admit it and move on

The party currently governing Taiwan is actually the one that nominally supports explicit independence (as opposed to the Kuomintang party, who are the direct descendants of Chiang Kai-Shek's forces, and nominally support "actually we are the real China").

Unfortunately when the mere mention of your political plank makes Beijing instantly go REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, that plank tends to become "nuanced" very very fast.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Telsa Cola posted:

Wasn't there just one (1) who thought it was real and everyone made fun of them for it?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Bronze Fonz posted:

Wasn't there just one (1) who thought it was real and everyone made fun of them for it?

One (1) was at the same time just the right number (because it was loving funny as all hell) and also too many.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bronze Fonz posted:

Was that the source of the "Is this parody? No... No it's not" thread title?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

e: I should refresh before posting

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Cthulu Carl posted:

Oh yes it was. An instant classic!

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
It was some badly photoshopped washing machines on a bmp iirc

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
it was wilo567

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Rust Martialis posted:

There's a restaurant on the town square that is reputed to be the best in Krakow, I forgot the name but I had pierogies there too :)

Pierogi!! We just went over this you cad

Rust Martialis posted:

Can we get a second source on that DMZ map before believing it?

I thought we all knew the map wasn't real and were joking about it in that sense. Whoops lol

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

It's an rear end map. A map of the rear end.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Oh poo poo. Everyone watch your backs!!

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2023/02/russian-carrier-kuznetsov-leaves-dry-dock-at-last

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Telsa Cola posted:

Telsa Cola posted:

One (1) was at the same time just the right number (because it was loving funny as all hell) and also too many.

Cthulu Carl posted:

I regret nothing.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 25, 2023

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

-arms Neptune-

"Smile, you son of a bitch."

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Leaves dry dock = Fell off the wagon

Go home ship. You're drunk

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

alcatraz gently caress boy posted:

what's up with that raccoon they stole

much like the west's power

plenty more where it came from and the Russians are in sheer awe at 0.1% of 0.1% of it

GEEKABALL posted:

"You are stinky and hairy. Thank you for your contribution to the war effort special operation"

well how do YOU propose they make more winter clothes for the troops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
We made the decision to close the GBS thread for the Russian Inasion of Ukraine because GBS is not the place for a war thread. While GBS has many virtues, the forum's fun pants-shittng, shitposting nature is not a good fit for a thread about an ongoing conflict where people are being maimed and killed. When reviewing the decision, we came up with a another reason to close the thread, which is that the raison d’être for the thread was, in part, a belief that some other parts of the forum were genuinely evil. We should not have threads on the forum that are motivated by the belief that other parts of the userbase are genuinely evil.

If posters wish to have serious discussion about the Russian invasion of Ukraine there is the D&D thread. If posters wish to make poop jokes about the Russian invasion of Ukraine there is CSPAM. If posters wish to read posts about the Russian invasion of Ukraine from goons who were in the military, there is the GiP thread. These places may be different from where you normally post. That’s okay.

Over the past few weeks we have received a number of emails, messages and reports concerned about specific posts in the thread. We plan to review those posts, and may still decide that particular posts require action.