Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's that time of year again! If you like getting books for Christmas, or if you think Christmas is all humbug but still like getting books, this is the thread for you. Whether you've been around for all of the previous Secret Santas or are new to TBB entirely, you are invited to join this Secret Santa and spread the joy of books this year.

The Rules
  1. This is open to anyone who's been on SA for at least six months and has posted before now. Anyone with a newer account is still welcome if someone eligible vouches for them.

2. If you sign up, you must be ready to mail someone a book. If you have any doubt about this, consider joining next year instead.

3. There must be an address for someone to mail you a book. It doesn't matter if it's your home address or a PO box or whatever, as long as a book can be sent there.

4. Send your gift as soon as possible! This is a very busy time for the postal system, so be quick to avoid delays as the big day approaches.

5. The deadline to sign up this year is November 25, a month before Christmas.

The Process
  1. Post in this thread to say that you're signing up and to let your Santa know what you'd like.

2. Send an email to sabookbarnsecretsanta@gmail.com with your SA handle in the subject line, providing your mailing address and specifying whether you can mail your package within your country, to a nearby country, or worldwide. I will respond with a confirmation when I see it; if you don't get one, let me know that I've missed your message.

3. The day after the deadline, I will email all participants the details of their matches.

4. When you send your package, email me the tracking number.

5. When you receive your Santa's package, post in the thread to let them know that it arrived, even if you wait to open it.

6. When your match opens their present, respond in the thread.

Additional Information
  • At minimum, your package should contain a book in line with your match's Christmas wish. Whatever you send should be worth at least $20. Send one fancy new book or a few cheaper secondhand ones (in good condition!) or anything else you care to give – just send your match what they signed up for. Or splurge selflessly on a stranger!

• If anyone wants to give extra presents (and not necessarily books) outside the Secret Santa system, ask me or Hieronymous Alloy via PM. If we approve, you can post the offer in the thread for people to claim.

• If you have a question about anything not covered in this post, don't hesitate to ask me here or through PM. If you run into any issues or complications, let me know in a PM, and I'll do whatever I can to help.

And, finally...

Merry Christmas! Happy reading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Thread recap, better late than never!

Tree Goat sent Gertrude Perkins
The Secret Service, by Wendy Walker
A Brief History of Portable Literature, by Enrique Vila-Matas
Phototaxis, by Olivia Tapiero
Locus Solus, by Raymond Roussel

Gertrude Perkins sent Opopanax
Sleepwalking, by Lauren Monger
The Holiday Yards of Florencio Morales, by Amy V. Kitchener and Florencio Morales
The Blast Anthology of Tamil Pulp Fiction
Having Our Say: The Delany Sisters' First 100 Years, by Sarah L. Delany and A. Elizabeth Delany with Amy Hill Hearth
Art prints

Opopanax sent The Grey
Very Bad Poetry, edited by Kathryn Petras and Ross Petras
Fantasticland, by Mike Bockoven

The Grey sent Chip McFuck
Relics, by Tim Lebbon
Empire State, by Adam Christopher
Badass: The Birth of a Legend, by Ben Thompson
The Selected Works of T. S. Spivet, by Reif Larson
A Rage Page notebook

Chip McFuck sent Sham bam bamina!
A Gronking to Remember, by Lacey Noonan
Sudden Death, by Álvaro Enrigue
Uzumaki, by Junji Ito
A handmade notebook

Sham bam bamina! sent Tree Goat
Fourth Mansions, by R. A. Lafferty
The Emperor, by Ryszard Kapuśiński
The Dramatic Symphony, by Andrey Bely
A chocolate orange and candied ginger

Mr. Nemo sent Hieronymous Alloy
The Eternaut, by Héctor Germán Oesterheld and Francisco Solano López
Let My People Go Surfing, by Yvon Chouinard
If Cats Disappeared from the World, by Genki Kawamura
Our Shared Storm, by Andrew Dana Hudson

Hieronymous Alloy sent Antivehicular
Greyfax Grimwald, Paragon Fairingay, Calix Stay, and Squaring the Circle, by Niel Hancock
Black Marigolds & Coloured Stars, by E. Powys Mathers
Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio, by Fu Songling
Flowers of Evil, by Charles Baudelaire

Antivehicular sent NTRabbit
The Cyberiad, by Stanisław Lem
Master and Commander, by Patrick O'Brian
Fires on the Plain, by Shohei Ooka
The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien

NTRabbit sent Punkin Spunkin
History of the World Map by Map, edited by Peter Snow

Punkin Spunkin sent Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Around the World in 80 Trees, by Jonathan Drori

Lord Zedd-Repulsa sent Dr. Activisionary
Manhunt, by Gretchen Felker-Martin
Echo, by Thomas Olde Heuvelt

Dr. Activisionary sent TheCog
Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood and Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return, by Marjane Satrapi

TheCog sent Teach
The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco
The Waste Land: A Biography of a Poem, by Matthew Hollis
A Private Spy: The Letters of John le Carré, edited by Tim Cornwell

Teach sent Rid
Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics, by Jonathan Wilson
A notebook and other extras

Rid sent PatMarshall
Fog, by Miguel De Unamuno
The Honjin Murders, by Seishi Yokomizo
Beware of Pity, by Stefan Zweig

PatMarshall sent FPyat
Gotham: A History of New York City to 1898, by Edwin G. Burrows and Mike Wallace
Greater Gotham: A History of New York City from 1898 to 1919, by Mike Wallace
The Historical Atlas of New York City, by Eric Homberger
Lost Christianities, by Bart D. Ehrman

FPyat sent Mr. Nemo
An omnibus of the Gormenghast novels, by Mervyn Peake
Planet of Adventure, by Jack Vance
War Day, by Whitley Strieber and James Kunetka
Working, by Studs Terkel

Additionally, a mysterious benefactor sent
Clash of Angels, by Jonathan Daniels, to Gertrude Perkins
The Lizard of Oz, by Richard Seltzer, to Antivehicular
The Selected Works of T. S. Spivet, by Reif Larson, to Mr. Nemo
Six Novels in Woodcuts, a two-volume omnibus of Lynd Ward's wordless novels, to Chip McFuck
Einstein on Humanism, by Albert Einstein, The True Believer, by Eric Hoffer, and Faces of Science, by V. V. Nalimov, to Lord Zedd-Repulsa

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 10, 2023

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Signing up here. Give me the craziest thing you can, good or bad.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Sure why not. I have a reduced budget so I can't promise a huge haul of BOOK but I will do my best to contribute something neat!

As for me, I'd make the same request as last year: Weiiiiiird poo poo

For reference/inspiration, my goodreads

Gertrude Perkins fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 6, 2022

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Count me in! I love to spread some holiday cheer :)

Send me something weird, funny, or whatever impressed you the most.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
i will book

i want something both hopeful and interesting

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sure I got some cool stuff last year. In the same boat as others though I have a limited xmas budget but I’m in for doing my best. Personal request is just something unique, something I wouldn’t be likely to get for myself

This is everything I read this year for an idea of my tastes

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I run the SS for the watch thread in YLLS, and I think it would be nice to be involved in a SS that I don't organise! I'll email now.

How do we check our victim's tastes? Their posting history?

Edit - if it's any help at all, here's the start of my fiction, and some of the non-fiction from the other end of the bookshelves.

Teach fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 8, 2022

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The Christmas wishes are in the posts; yours should have one too. If your match's wish is more general than you'd like, then sure, see what books they've been posting about.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Sure, I'll participate for once. I would like something interesting in translation (to English), I've spent the year reading more or less only civil war and napoleon books, so I need to break out of the dad box.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm in. Looking for anything I can't get in ebook or mobi form preferably.

Like something you'd appreciate more in physical form cuz I got a billion ebooks

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 25, 2022

Dr. Activisionary
Oct 20, 2013

Hi! I would like to receive a horror novel. Something scary and perhaps just a tad hosed up, not like full on. Not like, ya know, snuff, or the written fiction version of snuff.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:siren: The mysterious benefactor from last year has returned. Five books will be sent to those who claim them first, within the USA. :siren:

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I’m in. Based on the east coast.

I’ll post what I read this year and my opinions later on to give my Santa some guidelines.

Also claiming one of the MYSTERY gifts.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Claiming a mystery gift because it's my birthday next week.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The mysterious Canada hater :qq:

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I'd love to claim one of the mystery gifts!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Claiming a mystery gift because it's my birthday next week.
If so, please include the rest of your sign-up information.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm in New Mexico and making the same request as last year because it got me some very cool stuff: nonfiction about a topic the giver finds fascinating.

Edit 2: Email sent!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 25, 2022

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Sure, I'll take a mystery gift!

I just sent my signup email. In terms of gift preferences, I'm interested in short fiction, poetry/prose poetry (been really into James Tate lately, so modern surreal stuff would be fun), whodunit mysteries, and some horror, albeit usually not splatter-type stuff. Literature in translation is always a good time. I also love weird used books, especially godawful self-pub garbage, so surprise me.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Signing up. Email sent.

My request is something non-scifi.

Here's all the books i've read over the last couple years. I'm really looking to break out of my comfort zone.

Pandoras Star
Judas Unchained
The Risen Empire
House of Suns
The Quantum Magician
Use of Weapons
Player of Games
All systems red
artifical condition
rogue protocol
exit strategy
When Gravity Fails
Spin State
Spin Control
Ninefox Gambit
Raven Strategem
A Memory Called Empire
The Human Factor
Network Effect
The Collapsing Empire
The Consuming Fire
The last emperox
Great North Road
Blindsight
Echopraxia
Caliban's War (The Expanse (2))
abbadons gate
Cibola Burn
nemesis games
babylon's ashes
Scum and Villany
The Spire
The Instant hypnosis and rapid induction handbook
Unsong
Ignition
Normal Accidents
A Desolation Called Peace
The Girl With All The Gifts
Network Effect
the light brigade
prefect
Elysium Fire
Three Assassins

TheCog fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 4, 2022

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Sham bam bamina! posted:

:siren: The mysterious benefactor from last year has returned. Five books will be sent to those who claim them first, within the USA. :siren:

Oops yeah I'd like to claim this if I may!!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
You may.

All of the mystery gifts are now claimed.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
okay i will sign up.

i don't know what i like, really; i'm just sort of a dilettante. poetry and prose that has either significant art or skill behind it? i made a goodreads as a pandemic activity so it has a couple years of stuff on it so maybe that will be helpful https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/97476763-birdbassador

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 18, 2022

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Sham bam bamina! posted:

[*]Send an email to sabookbarnsecretsanta@gmail.com with your SA handle in the subject line, providing your mailing address and specifying whether you can mail your package within your country, to a nearby country, or worldwide. I will respond with a confirmation when I see it; if you don't get one, let me know that I've missed your message.

I haven't gotten a confirmation yet, and wanted to make sure I didn't get caught in a spam filter or something.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TheCog posted:

I haven't gotten a confirmation yet, and wanted to make sure I didn't get caught in a spam filter or something.
No, I've just had a lot on my plate this past week. Caught up now.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I would like to have a copy of Greater Gotham: A History of New York City from 1898 to 1919 by Mike Wallace.

If you want to know what kind of others books I might like, my Goodreads shows what books I've read and would like to read. The unifying factor of the books I like best is that they are both pleasantly written and educational in some respect. https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/68609228?order=a&sort=title

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:holy: book santa!

I like to read both fiction and non-fiction, (usually scifi, fantasy, historical fiction, and history, but I have an open mind) anything that impressed you or you think I might like is cool! :buddy: This is my goodreads, which is about as comprehensive as you can make it. Everything on there I already own, just a matter of whether or not I have read it yet. Shamefully still haven't read all the cool books I got last year, but that's not the point.

Booko is a good site that lets you both find best prices, and find stores in Australia that are not directly funding Jeff Bezos.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 21, 2022

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

You can count me in again. Thanks for setting this up, I always enjoy doing both the giving and receiving of TBB Secret Santa.

Please no poetry, but otherwise I'm good with whatever you think is interesting. Here's my Goodreads with everything I've read.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
If I get you I'm going to send you poetry with a note that says, "You've just not read the right poetry!"

Bad Santa.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

gift poetry, oh noetry

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
And yet you use poetry yourself. Curious.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Mr. Nemo posted:

I’m in. Based on the east coast.

I’ll post what I read this year and my opinions later on to give my Santa some guidelines.

Also claiming one of the MYSTERY gifts.

Adding more background on myself.

I'm a big sci-fi reader, mostly the classic stuff. I really like post apoc stuff. I haven't read Wind up girl or the Atwood one.

This year I went on a huge King binge, i'd only read IT and Stand previously, and found him very engaging. I've been reading chronologically, next up should be Christine.

Lately I've been enjoying a lot of non-fiction. I read David Simon's book, the wire is my favorite show, and Homicide blew my mind. Also some business books for school but that's boring.

My not comprehensive good reads

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/67976188-mr-nemo?ref=nav_mybooks&shelf=read&view=covers

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?
This sounds like fun, so I'm in!

I love me some metafiction, 'interactive' fictions (e.g., game books, 'puzzle' books), and fictions created via non-traditional methods (e.g., shuffle literature, AI-written fiction, etc). So, something like that would be great.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Sign-ups are now closed. Matches will be made shortly.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Have the matches been sent out? Just checking as I haven't received an email yet.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Matches have been made. I apologize for the delay; I had a much busier weekend than expected.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

No need to apologize! Thank you for sending the email!

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Rid posted:

I love me some metafiction, 'interactive' fictions (e.g., game books, 'puzzle' books), and fictions created via non-traditional methods (e.g., shuffle literature, AI-written fiction, etc). So, something like that would be great.

Disclaimer: not your santa

But could you specify what you've read already? Or link to good reads? So you don't end up with S and that book about cancer and sports that's made out of loose pages if you've read them already.

Also I like that too so I could use the recs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cheer has been deployed