Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
First sleigh-load shipped, additional cheer to follow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Sleighs AWAY!

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?

Mr. Nemo posted:

Disclaimer: not your santa

But could you specify what you've read already? Or link to good reads? So you don't end up with S and that book about cancer and sports that's made out of loose pages if you've read them already.

Also I like that too so I could use the recs.

Sorry for the slow reply – the joys of the end of term.

I don't have a good reads account, but I can definitely drop some reccommendations.

With regards to shuffle literature, the “classic” is Composition no. 1 by Saporta. Originally published in French, there’s a neat translation by Richard Howard. As a story it’s probably the best of the bunch, and the shuffling works as part of the whole thing. The other big one most know of is the one you mentioned – The Unfortunates by BS Johnson. It’s… not great? As you say, it’s about death, friendship, and football. The shuffling stuff doesn’t really add anything substantive, I think. Still, it’s fun enough? A few other notable ones: Heart Suit by Robert Coover (who wrote the short story The Babysitter); this comes as a literal deck of cards (or at least it does in the version I have). The Family Arcana by J. Berry is another story printed on playing cards. It’s a fun read! Sentences by Robert Grenier comes in a super beautiful box and 500 "pages". Honestly though, I suspect that all this is going to be replaced with AI generated texts. Shuffle literature is super cool, but your laptop can do it faster/better (and we can share particular distributions to talk about the stories generated).

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

A gift has been deployed! Due to the vagaries of online bookstores, it'll probably be in a few shipments, but we'll see how it goes.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
My finely wrapped gift has arrived, and already makes me ashamed for not realizing that obviously i should wrap my gift and make it a surprise. Ahhh sorry I'll do better next year goons, I'm not very good at the holidays.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Don't leave us hanging! What-cha get?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

A few days ago, I received a package that I thought was some vitamins I'd ordered and set it to the side for when it was needed. Well, the vitamins actually arrived today so I opened the other box and it contained Around the World in 80 Trees. This should be a good supplement to my growing (pun fully intended) interest in the YouTube channel Crime Pays But Botany Doesn't.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Checking in to say that I've now received two packages, one from Amazon and one from a third-party store. I'll probably be holding off on opening them until Christmas, but they are here!

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I got my two books this week. It was a fun time! I originally posted this, and got these responses:

The Grey posted:

Please no poetry, but otherwise I'm good with whatever you think is interesting.

Of course what did I get? I expect nothing less from Something Awful!

quote:

Writing very bad poetry requires talent. It helps to have a wooden ear for words, a penchant for sinking into a mire of sentimentality, and an enviable confidence that allows one to write despite absolutely appalling incompetence.

The 131 poems collected in this first-of-its-kind anthology are so glaringly awful that they embody a kind of genius. From Fred Emerson Brooks' "The Stuttering Lover" to Matthew Green's "The Spleen" to Georgia Bailey Parrington's misguided "An Elegy to a Dissected Puppy," they mangle meter, run rampant over rhyme, and bludgeon us into insensibility with their grandiosity, anticlimax, and malapropism.

Guaranteed to move even the most stoic reader to tears (of laughter), Very Bad Poetry is sure to become a favorite of the poetically inclined (and disinclined).

I read through a few of the poems already... Yes, they are very bad. (Although I probably wouldn't recognize good poetry either.)

My wife orders about a zillion things off Amazon and constantly has packages arriving every day. She ripped open this one by default thinking it was for her, and then got confused when she saw the poetry book. She looked again at the label and noticed it was for me. She asked me about it the next day. After I explained it was from Something Awful, she was relieved and said she hoped I wasn't buying a book of poetry as her Christmas present. (That gave me the idea to regift this book to her at Christmas though.)

The other book is one I have on my wanted list, FantasticLand. It's about an amusement park in Florida that gets hit by a hurricane, isolated from society, and turns into a Lord of the Flies type scenario. I enjoy stories about dystopian amusement parks, and this looks great.

Thanks Santa for the fun books!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

:laugh: I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist. Do hope you enjoy Fantasticland though, I read it earlier this year and it’s very cool.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

The Grey posted:

Of course what did I get? I expect nothing less from Something Awful!

Ha, glad your Santa fessed up, otherwise, I would have had to deny it! My gift was posted 9 days ago - frantically F5'ing the page...

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

poo poo, I'm gonna have to pick up that one, it looks like a good read

Up to three packages over here -- still trying to hold off until Christmas, although the temptation is there...

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Cheer has been deployed! Hope you like them, Santee.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
sent mine out on friday, was allegedly delivered by now

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Whoever my Santa is, I am visiting family and won't be in a position to really check my packages till next Monday. So updates then assuming things have arrived!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Today I got a package containing three wrapped books. They'll stay wrapped until the 21st.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

A package arrived today! Opened it because I'm impatient:

:monocle: Wow!

Inside were two collected volumes of Lynd Ward's woodcut novels and this really cool 3D card. Thank you so much, Sham, I can't wait to dive into these!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I wish I could take the credit (and I've given that exact Lynd Ward set as a Christmas gift before), but that is not from me!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Oh, my mistake! The return address had your username so I assumed it was you, Sham. Now I'm not sure if this is the mystery gift or one from my Santa. Regardless, thank you whoever you are!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
That would be a gift from the mysterious benefactor, who is using my return address. I hadn't considered this complication.

My actual package will have my handwriting:

Edit: Whatever you do, don't lose that card!

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 13, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The Grey posted:

I enjoy stories about dystopian amusement parks
I also love George Saunders

Anyway I'm waiting to open mine on Xmas I guess.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Shipped off my package today. Santee should be getting it on Monday.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I have received books. I'll post about them. Eventually. Sorry, finals week.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I will be out of town familying for the holidays so will not be able to collect anything that gets sent to me until the new year, so expect a delayed post from me.

You know what isn't delayed, though? The package to my santee, which I have posted today!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I received a hefty package today.

I thought about saving it for Christmas proper, but the past several days have been drizzly and dreary, and I could use some early cheer.

Ah. Hm. Well. Yes. Thank you, Santa.

Even steamier! As flashy postmodern novels about tennis go, I expect I'll like this one more than Infinite Jest.

A very nice notebook for me to ruin. Feels expensive.

Hell yeah. Perfect gift, something I've always wanted to read but would never have prioritized enough to break out of my normal spending habits and actually buy.

You made that notebook yourself? Incredible stuff. All of these gifts are wonderful, but that's really something special.

And that's that. Quite the embarrassment of riches. Thank you, Chip McFuck!

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

They mentioned Gronkrotica in that awful 80 to Brady movie trailer. I thought it was just a joke for the movie. It's disturbing to learn it actually exists.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I got another book?!

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
a package with my name on it arrived today, i will wait to open it until next week, but it did in fact arrive safe and sound

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I got one too, I'll try and contain myself but its also my birthday tomorrow and I may treat myself

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Chip McFuck posted:

A package arrived today! Opened it because I'm impatient:

:monocle: Wow!

Inside were two collected volumes of Lynd Ward's woodcut novels and this really cool 3D card. Thank you so much, Sham, I can't wait to dive into these!

Chip, open the card. Isn't there a secret code on the back? With some cryptic hint in the text as to how to decode it.

I'll post mine later.

There's a mystery afoot!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I caved and treated myself to a TBB birthday pack. Gert, you nailed it

some dope prints I'll find a good spot for

My request was for books I would not ordinarily get for myself and these certainly fit the bill. Tamil Pulp Fiction in particular sounds loving perfect for what I'm looking for. I'm going on vacation next month and I don't really want to bring my ereader poolside so this will be making the trip.

And a great card

Outstanding work all around :santahurr:

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I must apologise to my SS - I've been sitting on their gift for a couple of weeks! (I had a pile of packages in my office that had been arriving over the weeks - gifts from a friend who was coming for Christmas. Well, she arrived yesterday, and this morning, sorting out the packages, one was not from her. No note, no card, and I'm ashamed to say it took me a few minutes to realise that it must be from my SS!)

Two beautiful books, two dead-centre hits! Thank you so much!

The Eco I've never read! And it'll fit on my bookshelf here - thank you.

Merry Christmas!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Opopanax posted:

I caved and treated myself to a TBB birthday pack. Gert, you nailed it

Outstanding work all around :santahurr:

Happy Xmas! I hope you enjoy the weird stuff I found for you. Also, the chicken and tardigrate are stickers, not just prints!

Also, my TBBSS package has ARRIVED...but I won't be able to pick it up until the new year! Looking forward to it!!

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Teach posted:

I must apologise to my SS - I've been sitting on their gift for a couple of weeks! (I had a pile of packages in my office that had been arriving over the weeks - gifts from a friend who was coming for Christmas. Well, she arrived yesterday, and this morning, sorting out the packages, one was not from her. No note, no card, and I'm ashamed to say it took me a few minutes to realise that it must be from my SS!)

OK, a slight (but positive) complication.

The books I posted above were addressed to me, and I thought that they came from my SS.

This afternoon, another book arrived - heavy and lovely collected letters. This one was from Waterstones, the bookshop, not Amazon (as the first two were). But this one was addressed to (my name) Teach. So this is my SS, yes?

So thank you to my Santa, whether they sent me one, or three! I'm a happy goon !

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Package dispatched.

And now that I've sent mine out, I will allow myself to open my secret santa gift:

Wow, these look great! Thanks so much, I can't wait to read! I haven't heard of any of these other than Zweig and I have not read any of them, they looks really interesting. Thanks again for the thoughtful gift and note!

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?

PatMarshall posted:

Package dispatched.

And now that I've sent mine out, I will allow myself to open my secret santa gift:

Wow, these look great! Thanks so much, I can't wait to read! I haven't heard of any of these other than Zweig and I have not read any of them, they looks really interesting. Thanks again for the thoughtful gift and note!

Oh good! I was worried the package had been lost in transit.

The Honjin Murders is fun (it's basically a Japanese noir story), Beware of Pity is heartbreaking, and Fog is genuinely one of my favourite books. Enjoy!

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Thanks Rid!

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Teach posted:

The Eco I've never read! And it'll fit on my bookshelf here - thank you.

Merry Christmas!

Teach posted:

OK, a slight (but positive) complication.

The books I posted above were addressed to me, and I thought that they came from my SS.

This afternoon, another book arrived - heavy and lovely collected letters. This one was from Waterstones, the bookshop, not Amazon (as the first two were). But this one was addressed to (my name) Teach. So this is my SS, yes?

So thank you to my Santa, whether they sent me one, or three! I'm a happy goon !

All three of these were me, and I ordered all three through Waterstones, so I have no idea why some arrived via Amazon. I'm just glad they all made it. I also snail-mailed a note, but who knows when/if that will arrive.

The Name of the Rose is one of my favorite books, so I hope you'll find it an enjoyable read. The Wasteland one was a recommendation from a friend who's big into poetry, so I hope it hits the mark.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Thank you for owning up, and for the wonderful gifts! I really appreciate it!

(If you included a return address I'll drop you a thank you in the post, too!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

And that's that. Quite the embarrassment of riches. Thank you, Chip McFuck!

You're welcome! I waffled a bit on whether or not to send you the Gronk book, but I just couldn't resist so please consider it a gag gift. Hopefully you won't hold it against me, lol.

I did make the notebook! Hand-bound just for you.

And speaking of gifts, a package arrived the other day bearing presents that my cat Scribbles took an immediate liking to:

Relics by Time Lebbon
Empire State by Adam Christopher
Badass: The Birth of a Legend by Ben Thompson
A Rage Page notebook
The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet

Thank you, Santa! I'm especially intrigued by The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet but they all look like great picks!