Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Chip McFuck posted:

You're welcome! I waffled a bit on whether or not to send you the Gronk book, but I just couldn't resist so please consider it a gag gift. Hopefully you won't hold it against me, lol.

I did make the notebook! Hand-bound just for you.

And speaking of gifts, a package arrived the other day bearing presents that my cat Scribbles took an immediate liking to:

Relics by Time Lebbon
Empire State by Adam Christopher
Badass: The Birth of a Legend by Ben Thompson
A Rage Page notebook
The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet

Thank you, Santa! I'm especially intrigued by The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet but they all look like great picks!

Hope you enjoy them. The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet is one of my favorite books.

Also, Scribbles looks just like my old cat Loki!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Thank you for the fantastic treasure trove, Santa! The wine will be a hit on Christmas. I truly am prepared to know the city before I find out what Robert Moses does to it.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Great! Glad everything arrived intact! I was tempted to steal back the books, they looked very interesting, but I restrained myself. The wine is from a local vineyard, kind of a Bordeaux style, hope you enjoy.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
I gave up on waiting and opened mine in advance of both a week off of work and an ice storm that will either do nothing or give me plenty of reading time over the next several days.

It contained (all individually wrapped, even!):
Fourth Mansions by R.A. Lafferty
The Emperor by Ryszard Kapuśiński
The Dramatic Symphony by Andrei Biely (aka Andrei Bely aka Boris Bugaev)
A Terry's chocolate orange
A bag of candied ginger which I learned recently you can muddle in cocktails in addition to my childhood strategy of just eating them straight out of the bag.
A festive holiday card

All are appreciated, thank you Santa.

I am excited to read the books, none of which I have read before, even though, given my conflicted occasional apologia for Illuminatus! trilogy, you'd think I would have gotten to the Lafferty by now. But I have not!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Glad you like the ginger. I just threw that in at the last minute because the only box I had was too big for the books alone; I had no idea that it would be such a good match. Happy reading!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
opened up a gorgeous copy of History of the World Map by Map today, absolutely up my alley. It's amazing, when I said give me something that couldn't be appreciated as an ebook I really didn't expect such an absolute bullseye. This is the exact kind of book I'd obsess over (the sorta book I'd always wanna check out as a lil kid but you couldn't cuz they're REFERENCE SECTION or w/e). I really wish I'd been able to send people more this year, this was my first time taking part...money was just a bit unexpectedly tight but seeing all the great gifts and the great gift I got I'm excited to throw down even more next tbb secret santa.

hopefully the horrible lighting doesnt hide how dope this poo poo is

Dr. Activisionary
Oct 20, 2013

Since it's finally Xmas, decided to open up my package!

Thank you so much Lord Zedd-Repulsa, both of these look interesting. Think I might have heard of ECHO but haven't heard anything about the other book.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Ho ho ho

And let's see what the card says....

The third book looks too dry on first glance but I should be able to manage the others in 2023. Thank you, whoever you are. And that's more code for anyone trying to solve it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Holy poo poo, it's an embarrassment of riches! Seriously, the package stack was insane:

That's seven packages, containing a total of eight books:

The plain book is an old library copy of a very handsome volume of translated Baudelaire from the 1930's, which I may have said "oh my god, oh poo poo" as I cracked open:

The four books at the top left are a complete (YA?) fantasy series, and that cover with Sickbed Otter on #2 is immediately a huge favorite of mine:

And then... well, then there's the Lizard of Oz, which came nicely wrapped, with a lovely card:

It is, in fact, the kind of insane self-published garbage I love, so good pick there, but there's also another piece of the code puzzle! And a further piece on the back of the card:

Thank you so much, Hieronymous Alloy and Mysterious Gift Friend Who Hopefully Is Not The Zodiac Killer! This is an amazing set of gifts and I'm over the moon about all of them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Antivehicular posted:

That's seven packages, containing a total of eight books:

The Powys Mathers book is a collection of translated southeast asian poetry, translated in the early 1900's; Steinbeck quotes it in his novel Cannery Row. Based on other things I've read, I'm not sure how much of it is actual translation and how much of it is stuff Mathers is writing himself and calling "translations."

quote:

The plain book is an old library copy of a very handsome volume of translated Baudelaire from the 1930's, which I may have said "oh my god, oh poo poo" as I cracked open:

Charles Dillon was Edna St. Vincent Millay's lover and they worked on those translations together during their affair; I'm not aware of a translation that compares, but you can only find it in old out of print editions, for some reason there's no current publication. I keep having to buy new copies because friends keep stealing my old ones.

quote:

The four books at the top left are a complete (YA?) fantasy series, and that cover with Sickbed Otter on #2 is immediately a huge favorite of mine:

That was my attempt at the self-published request. That particular series is . . . I remember reading it at like age 12 because the school library had it and back in the early 90's there just wasn't much out there in terms of fantasy. As far as I can tell it's one of the very, very earliest of the Tolkien knockoff attempts, almost hypnotically bad and full of extremely bizarre authorial choices that would never get published today. I haven't read it in 30 years though so maybe it's good?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 26, 2022

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That was my attempt at the self-published request. That particular series is . . . I remember reading it at like age 12 because the school library had it and back in the early 90's there just wasn't much out there in terms of fantasy. As far as I can tell it's one of the very, very earliest of the Tolkien knockoff attempts, almost hypnotically bad and full of extremely bizarre authorial choices that would never get published today. I haven't read it in 30 years though so maybe it's good?

Fantastic! I've been needing a new "read in the living room and aggressively quote terrible sentences at loved ones" series, so if they're that bad, great, and if they turn out good, also great. Thanks!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I went to The Lizard of Oz's author's site, and it turned out to have the whole book online for free. For anyone who didn't get it for Christmas, check it out if you want to see what a completely witless version of The Phantom Tollbooth looks like. (Its idea of wordplay is "Pothead Land", where everyone has a flower pot for a head.) As a bonus, the online version is an update from 2018 that adds hee-larious Harry Potter references. What a treat!

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 26, 2022

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
A box arrived while I was away at my parents!

A *mystery* box I wasn't expecting. From one Dr. Activisionary.

Inside... two books

They look promising:

I'm very excited to get into these, I have a huge soft spot for graphic novels, and its the type of thing I'd see, and covet, and never buy for myself.

Thank you Dr. Activisionary!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Antivehicular posted:

Fantastic! I've been needing a new "read in the living room and aggressively quote terrible sentences at loved ones" series, so if they're that bad, great, and if they turn out good, also great. Thanks!

post about it either way, part of my brain is still convinced I hallucinated it

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

According to Sham Bam Bamina something may have happened to mine, because it says delivered but it hasn't been :ohdear:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

opened up a gorgeous copy of History of the World Map by Map today, absolutely up my alley. It's amazing, when I said give me something that couldn't be appreciated as an ebook I really didn't expect such an absolute bullseye. This is the exact kind of book I'd obsess over (the sorta book I'd always wanna check out as a lil kid but you couldn't cuz they're REFERENCE SECTION or w/e). I really wish I'd been able to send people more this year, this was my first time taking part...money was just a bit unexpectedly tight but seeing all the great gifts and the great gift I got I'm excited to throw down even more next tbb secret santa.

hopefully the horrible lighting doesnt hide how dope this poo poo is

That was definitely a challenge, glad you liked it :buddy:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 30, 2022

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I have finally been able to pick up my post, and GOODNESS look at the lovely things I received...!

First off, a delicious haul from Tree Goat!

Thank you so much! These all look really freakin' neato, and I'll be reading that short essay you wrote to prime me for getting stuck in.

But wait! That's not all...an extra-secret surprise from :iiam:

Whoa, this looks fancy! But wait...

But WAIT...

Holy poo poo, thank you??!

And the very classy card:

And a secret coooooode? Book Zodiac is still at large...

Thank you both for the gifts, and thank you to everyone else who's participated in the thread - it puts a huge smile on my face to see folks giving and receiving such cool things. :frogbon:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
glad you received it intact, hope you enjoy.

i had forgotten that i wrote an essay. that probably bodes ill.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Any progress with the code?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

According to Sham Bam Bamina something may have happened to mine, because it says delivered but it hasn't been :ohdear:

I owe you an apology on this -- I was trying my best to get you some stuff from non-Amazon sellers, but apparently "non-Amazon seller offering free shipping to Australia" means "unclear or no tracking info, who the hell knows what's happening." I sincerely hope something... arrives... sometime?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Antivehicular posted:

I owe you an apology on this -- I was trying my best to get you some stuff from non-Amazon sellers, but apparently "non-Amazon seller offering free shipping to Australia" means "unclear or no tracking info, who the hell knows what's happening." I sincerely hope something... arrives... sometime?

No worries, I'll keep an eye out!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Realized that I forgot to post the photos I took of the Mysterious Benefactor's card! Please forgive me, it just slipped my mind.

Here's the message:

And the code on the back:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Book arrived, it was a little late but I am ridiculously excited by it!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Two packages from two different carriers arrived this afternoon!

Contained within were these excellent books

They're very much my kind of jam (I've bought Stanislaw Lem for others in previous years and have always been intrigued but never read myself), looking forward to reading them, thanks Antivehicular!

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 5, 2023

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Fantastic! So glad they got there! Master and Commander is the only one of that group I haven't read -- the others are all great, although Fires on the Plain is pretty heavy. Cyberiad can also be a dense read but is hilarious. Hope you enjoy!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I don't know if the etiquette is to post about it here or not, but here's a code that was pasted in the back of my fancy Jonathan Daniels book:

WS 287-14-9-2
AE 7-7-5-1
WS 108-16-6-5
EH 79-20-4-1
RS 5-4-9-1
LW 646-5-5
EH 128-12-7-6
JD ix-15-3-1

So I'm guessing the letters refer to author names, and thus correspond to each of our bonus books. And then these are page numbers, and...words on those pages?

So for mine it would be (from page ix) - there - back - as. Or if they're first words of lines, then it's any - conflict - as.

Or I'm barking completely up the wrong tree.

I also notice that each secret letter is signed with different initials. Hopefully we lucky recipients can put our heads together to figure this one out!

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Hello!

Happy orthodox christmas everyone! Sorry for being the trouble participant this year! My Santee should have 2 books in his/her house by now with more to come.

I have no excuse, but I do have some photos.

I received books and a secret message:

God, what a challenge, I'll try to be up to it this year.

I've read dying earth and wasn't blown away, I should give Vance a second chance. Thanks!

I LOVE this book! So yeah, I've already read it. But when I tried to read it i couldn't find it physically so i had to resort to less than ethical means! Amazing gift, I still can't find a hardcover copy in amazon.

And this one I assume because of what I mentioned about Homicide by David Simon. Looks like it could be very interesting, thanks again!

The messages:

This one may have been cut short by Amazon? TS Spivet is a very fun book that ABSOLUTELY shits the bed, the story does NOT resolve well secret santa.

And what i particularly feel guilty about, delaying the resolution of the secret code:

Once again sorry everyone, specially my Santee (more gifts soon!) and the organizer

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?
In a post-Christmas miracle, my gift arrived! After opening the most neatly arranged package I've ever seen, I discovered a very cool book about football tactics, along with some neat extras:

Thanks for the excellent gift, Teach!

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I've been sweating on this one for ages! (I only hope that your first package arrives soon, too!)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nemo posted:

And what i particularly feel guilty about, delaying the resolution of the secret code:

Once again sorry everyone, specially my Santee (more gifts soon!) and the organizer

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I don't know if the etiquette is to post about it here or not, but here's a code that was pasted in the back of my fancy Jonathan Daniels book:

WS 287-14-9-2
AE 7-7-5-1
WS 108-16-6-5
EH 79-20-4-1
RS 5-4-9-1
LW 646-5-5
EH 128-12-7-6
JD ix-15-3-1

So I'm guessing the letters refer to author names, and thus correspond to each of our bonus books. And then these are page numbers, and...words on those pages?

So for mine it would be (from page ix) - there - back - as. Or if they're first words of lines, then it's any - conflict - as.

Or I'm barking completely up the wrong tree.

I also notice that each secret letter is signed with different initials. Hopefully we lucky recipients can put our heads together to figure this one out!

That doesn't seem like all the puzzle pieces -- what are we missing?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Apparently some of y'all who got puzzle pieces -- there may be some "hint codes" in the backs of the books you received also, which may be helpful clues!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Well I'm a big dummy and didn't look at the back pages of the book! So sorry mysterious benefactor, I just didn't think to look there. Here's a photo of the code:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Has anyone gotten anywhere with the code? I've pasted all four quadrants of the message together for a start:

(Sorry for not doing this weeks ago; I've had a lot on my plate and little attention to spare for this thread.)

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 7, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Final few books from my Santee came in!

Runnin' a little slow there buddy but I'm genuinely excited to read these, thank you!

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

Yesterday, PostNL notified, saying I've a package to pickup (after paying some import fees). It turns out to be Santa's original gift for me, postmarked 02-12-2022.

Three months to go from London to the NL is impressive. Honestly, someone probably could have walked/swam it over quicker. Still, great to finally receive it! I particularly enjoy the Saddam Hussein and cronies playing cards.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Well, I'm pleased that the package finally got to you - what are you going to do with the second copy of Inverting The Pyramid? :)

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

Teach posted:

Well, I'm pleased that the package finally got to you - what are you going to do with the second copy of Inverting The Pyramid? :)

Flip the pyramid back around, obviously!

(Probably give it to my buddy, so we'll be slightly more knowledgeable when we are yelling at/about Jizz Horncamp)

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I really want to know what the secret code says :ohdear: Definitely joining this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Rid posted:

(Probably give it to my buddy, so we'll be slightly more knowledgeable when we are yelling at/about Jizz Horncamp)

Perfect! Good.