Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
i will book

i want something both hopeful and interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
First sleigh-load shipped, additional cheer to follow

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Antivehicular posted:

That's seven packages, containing a total of eight books:

The Powys Mathers book is a collection of translated southeast asian poetry, translated in the early 1900's; Steinbeck quotes it in his novel Cannery Row. Based on other things I've read, I'm not sure how much of it is actual translation and how much of it is stuff Mathers is writing himself and calling "translations."

quote:

The plain book is an old library copy of a very handsome volume of translated Baudelaire from the 1930's, which I may have said "oh my god, oh poo poo" as I cracked open:

Charles Dillon was Edna St. Vincent Millay's lover and they worked on those translations together during their affair; I'm not aware of a translation that compares, but you can only find it in old out of print editions, for some reason there's no current publication. I keep having to buy new copies because friends keep stealing my old ones.

quote:

The four books at the top left are a complete (YA?) fantasy series, and that cover with Sickbed Otter on #2 is immediately a huge favorite of mine:

That was my attempt at the self-published request. That particular series is . . . I remember reading it at like age 12 because the school library had it and back in the early 90's there just wasn't much out there in terms of fantasy. As far as I can tell it's one of the very, very earliest of the Tolkien knockoff attempts, almost hypnotically bad and full of extremely bizarre authorial choices that would never get published today. I haven't read it in 30 years though so maybe it's good?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 26, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Antivehicular posted:

Fantastic! I've been needing a new "read in the living room and aggressively quote terrible sentences at loved ones" series, so if they're that bad, great, and if they turn out good, also great. Thanks!

post about it either way, part of my brain is still convinced I hallucinated it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Book arrived, it was a little late but I am ridiculously excited by it!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nemo posted:

And what i particularly feel guilty about, delaying the resolution of the secret code:

Once again sorry everyone, specially my Santee (more gifts soon!) and the organizer

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I don't know if the etiquette is to post about it here or not, but here's a code that was pasted in the back of my fancy Jonathan Daniels book:

WS 287-14-9-2
AE 7-7-5-1
WS 108-16-6-5
EH 79-20-4-1
RS 5-4-9-1
LW 646-5-5
EH 128-12-7-6
JD ix-15-3-1

So I'm guessing the letters refer to author names, and thus correspond to each of our bonus books. And then these are page numbers, and...words on those pages?

So for mine it would be (from page ix) - there - back - as. Or if they're first words of lines, then it's any - conflict - as.

Or I'm barking completely up the wrong tree.

I also notice that each secret letter is signed with different initials. Hopefully we lucky recipients can put our heads together to figure this one out!

That doesn't seem like all the puzzle pieces -- what are we missing?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Apparently some of y'all who got puzzle pieces -- there may be some "hint codes" in the backs of the books you received also, which may be helpful clues!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Final few books from my Santee came in!

Runnin' a little slow there buddy but I'm genuinely excited to read these, thank you!