Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Sure, I'll take a mystery gift!

I just sent my signup email. In terms of gift preferences, I'm interested in short fiction, poetry/prose poetry (been really into James Tate lately, so modern surreal stuff would be fun), whodunit mysteries, and some horror, albeit usually not splatter-type stuff. Literature in translation is always a good time. I also love weird used books, especially godawful self-pub garbage, so surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

gift poetry, oh noetry

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

A gift has been deployed! Due to the vagaries of online bookstores, it'll probably be in a few shipments, but we'll see how it goes.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Checking in to say that I've now received two packages, one from Amazon and one from a third-party store. I'll probably be holding off on opening them until Christmas, but they are here!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

poo poo, I'm gonna have to pick up that one, it looks like a good read

Up to three packages over here -- still trying to hold off until Christmas, although the temptation is there...

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Holy poo poo, it's an embarrassment of riches! Seriously, the package stack was insane:

That's seven packages, containing a total of eight books:

The plain book is an old library copy of a very handsome volume of translated Baudelaire from the 1930's, which I may have said "oh my god, oh poo poo" as I cracked open:

The four books at the top left are a complete (YA?) fantasy series, and that cover with Sickbed Otter on #2 is immediately a huge favorite of mine:

And then... well, then there's the Lizard of Oz, which came nicely wrapped, with a lovely card:

It is, in fact, the kind of insane self-published garbage I love, so good pick there, but there's also another piece of the code puzzle! And a further piece on the back of the card:

Thank you so much, Hieronymous Alloy and Mysterious Gift Friend Who Hopefully Is Not The Zodiac Killer! This is an amazing set of gifts and I'm over the moon about all of them.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That was my attempt at the self-published request. That particular series is . . . I remember reading it at like age 12 because the school library had it and back in the early 90's there just wasn't much out there in terms of fantasy. As far as I can tell it's one of the very, very earliest of the Tolkien knockoff attempts, almost hypnotically bad and full of extremely bizarre authorial choices that would never get published today. I haven't read it in 30 years though so maybe it's good?

Fantastic! I've been needing a new "read in the living room and aggressively quote terrible sentences at loved ones" series, so if they're that bad, great, and if they turn out good, also great. Thanks!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

According to Sham Bam Bamina something may have happened to mine, because it says delivered but it hasn't been :ohdear:

I owe you an apology on this -- I was trying my best to get you some stuff from non-Amazon sellers, but apparently "non-Amazon seller offering free shipping to Australia" means "unclear or no tracking info, who the hell knows what's happening." I sincerely hope something... arrives... sometime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Fantastic! So glad they got there! Master and Commander is the only one of that group I haven't read -- the others are all great, although Fires on the Plain is pretty heavy. Cyberiad can also be a dense read but is hilarious. Hope you enjoy!