Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's that time of year again! If you like getting books for Christmas, or if you think Christmas is all humbug but still like getting books, this is the thread for you. Whether you've been around for all of the previous Secret Santas or are new to TBB entirely, you are invited to join this Secret Santa and spread the joy of books this year.

The Rules
  1. This is open to anyone who's been on SA for at least six months and has posted before now. Anyone with a newer account is still welcome if someone eligible vouches for them.

2. If you sign up, you must be ready to mail someone a book. If you have any doubt about this, consider joining next year instead.

3. There must be an address for someone to mail you a book. It doesn't matter if it's your home address or a PO box or whatever, as long as a book can be sent there.

4. Send your gift as soon as possible! This is a very busy time for the postal system, so be quick to avoid delays as the big day approaches.

5. The deadline to sign up this year is November 25, a month before Christmas.

The Process
  1. Post in this thread to say that you're signing up and to let your Santa know what you'd like.

2. Send an email to sabookbarnsecretsanta@gmail.com with your SA handle in the subject line, providing your mailing address and specifying whether you can mail your package within your country, to a nearby country, or worldwide. I will respond with a confirmation when I see it; if you don't get one, let me know that I've missed your message.

3. The day after the deadline, I will email all participants the details of their matches.

4. When you send your package, email me the tracking number.

5. When you receive your Santa's package, post in the thread to let them know that it arrived, even if you wait to open it.

6. When your match opens their present, respond in the thread.

Additional Information
  • At minimum, your package should contain a book in line with your match's Christmas wish. Whatever you send should be worth at least $20. Send one fancy new book or a few cheaper secondhand ones (in good condition!) or anything else you care to give – just send your match what they signed up for. Or splurge selflessly on a stranger!

• If anyone wants to give extra presents (and not necessarily books) outside the Secret Santa system, ask me or Hieronymous Alloy via PM. If we approve, you can post the offer in the thread for people to claim.

• If you have a question about anything not covered in this post, don't hesitate to ask me here or through PM. If you run into any issues or complications, let me know in a PM, and I'll do whatever I can to help.

And, finally...

Merry Christmas! Happy reading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Thread recap, better late than never!

Tree Goat sent Gertrude Perkins
The Secret Service, by Wendy Walker
A Brief History of Portable Literature, by Enrique Vila-Matas
Phototaxis, by Olivia Tapiero
Locus Solus, by Raymond Roussel

Gertrude Perkins sent Opopanax
Sleepwalking, by Lauren Monger
The Holiday Yards of Florencio Morales, by Amy V. Kitchener and Florencio Morales
The Blast Anthology of Tamil Pulp Fiction
Having Our Say: The Delany Sisters' First 100 Years, by Sarah L. Delany and A. Elizabeth Delany with Amy Hill Hearth
Art prints

Opopanax sent The Grey
Very Bad Poetry, edited by Kathryn Petras and Ross Petras
Fantasticland, by Mike Bockoven

The Grey sent Chip McFuck
Relics, by Tim Lebbon
Empire State, by Adam Christopher
Badass: The Birth of a Legend, by Ben Thompson
The Selected Works of T. S. Spivet, by Reif Larson
A Rage Page notebook

Chip McFuck sent Sham bam bamina!
A Gronking to Remember, by Lacey Noonan
Sudden Death, by Álvaro Enrigue
Uzumaki, by Junji Ito
A handmade notebook

Sham bam bamina! sent Tree Goat
Fourth Mansions, by R. A. Lafferty
The Emperor, by Ryszard Kapuśiński
The Dramatic Symphony, by Andrey Bely
A chocolate orange and candied ginger

Mr. Nemo sent Hieronymous Alloy
The Eternaut, by Héctor Germán Oesterheld and Francisco Solano López
Let My People Go Surfing, by Yvon Chouinard
If Cats Disappeared from the World, by Genki Kawamura
Our Shared Storm, by Andrew Dana Hudson

Hieronymous Alloy sent Antivehicular
Greyfax Grimwald, Paragon Fairingay, Calix Stay, and Squaring the Circle, by Niel Hancock
Black Marigolds & Coloured Stars, by E. Powys Mathers
Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio, by Fu Songling
Flowers of Evil, by Charles Baudelaire

Antivehicular sent NTRabbit
The Cyberiad, by Stanisław Lem
Master and Commander, by Patrick O'Brian
Fires on the Plain, by Shohei Ooka
The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien

NTRabbit sent Punkin Spunkin
History of the World Map by Map, edited by Peter Snow

Punkin Spunkin sent Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Around the World in 80 Trees, by Jonathan Drori

Lord Zedd-Repulsa sent Dr. Activisionary
Manhunt, by Gretchen Felker-Martin
Echo, by Thomas Olde Heuvelt

Dr. Activisionary sent TheCog
Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood and Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return, by Marjane Satrapi

TheCog sent Teach
The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco
The Waste Land: A Biography of a Poem, by Matthew Hollis
A Private Spy: The Letters of John le Carré, edited by Tim Cornwell

Teach sent Rid
Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics, by Jonathan Wilson
A notebook and other extras

Rid sent PatMarshall
Fog, by Miguel De Unamuno
The Honjin Murders, by Seishi Yokomizo
Beware of Pity, by Stefan Zweig

PatMarshall sent FPyat
Gotham: A History of New York City to 1898, by Edwin G. Burrows and Mike Wallace
Greater Gotham: A History of New York City from 1898 to 1919, by Mike Wallace
The Historical Atlas of New York City, by Eric Homberger
Lost Christianities, by Bart D. Ehrman

FPyat sent Mr. Nemo
An omnibus of the Gormenghast novels, by Mervyn Peake
Planet of Adventure, by Jack Vance
War Day, by Whitley Strieber and James Kunetka
Working, by Studs Terkel

Additionally, a mysterious benefactor sent
Clash of Angels, by Jonathan Daniels, to Gertrude Perkins
The Lizard of Oz, by Richard Seltzer, to Antivehicular
The Selected Works of T. S. Spivet, by Reif Larson, to Mr. Nemo
Six Novels in Woodcuts, a two-volume omnibus of Lynd Ward's wordless novels, to Chip McFuck
Einstein on Humanism, by Albert Einstein, The True Believer, by Eric Hoffer, and Faces of Science, by V. V. Nalimov, to Lord Zedd-Repulsa

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 10, 2023

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Signing up here. Give me the craziest thing you can, good or bad.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The Christmas wishes are in the posts; yours should have one too. If your match's wish is more general than you'd like, then sure, see what books they've been posting about.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:siren: The mysterious benefactor from last year has returned. Five books will be sent to those who claim them first, within the USA. :siren:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Claiming a mystery gift because it's my birthday next week.
If so, please include the rest of your sign-up information.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
You may.

All of the mystery gifts are now claimed.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TheCog posted:

I haven't gotten a confirmation yet, and wanted to make sure I didn't get caught in a spam filter or something.
No, I've just had a lot on my plate this past week. Caught up now.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Sign-ups are now closed. Matches will be made shortly.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Matches have been made. I apologize for the delay; I had a much busier weekend than expected.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I wish I could take the credit (and I've given that exact Lynd Ward set as a Christmas gift before), but that is not from me!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
That would be a gift from the mysterious benefactor, who is using my return address. I hadn't considered this complication.

My actual package will have my handwriting:

Edit: Whatever you do, don't lose that card!

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 13, 2022

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I received a hefty package today.

I thought about saving it for Christmas proper, but the past several days have been drizzly and dreary, and I could use some early cheer.

Ah. Hm. Well. Yes. Thank you, Santa.

Even steamier! As flashy postmodern novels about tennis go, I expect I'll like this one more than Infinite Jest.

A very nice notebook for me to ruin. Feels expensive.

Hell yeah. Perfect gift, something I've always wanted to read but would never have prioritized enough to break out of my normal spending habits and actually buy.

You made that notebook yourself? Incredible stuff. All of these gifts are wonderful, but that's really something special.

And that's that. Quite the embarrassment of riches. Thank you, Chip McFuck!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Glad you like the ginger. I just threw that in at the last minute because the only box I had was too big for the books alone; I had no idea that it would be such a good match. Happy reading!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I went to The Lizard of Oz's author's site, and it turned out to have the whole book online for free. For anyone who didn't get it for Christmas, check it out if you want to see what a completely witless version of The Phantom Tollbooth looks like. (Its idea of wordplay is "Pothead Land", where everyone has a flower pot for a head.) As a bonus, the online version is an update from 2018 that adds hee-larious Harry Potter references. What a treat!

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 26, 2022

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Any progress with the code?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Has anyone gotten anywhere with the code? I've pasted all four quadrants of the message together for a start:

(Sorry for not doing this weeks ago; I've had a lot on my plate and little attention to spare for this thread.)

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 7, 2023