Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?
This sounds like fun, so I'm in!

I love me some metafiction, 'interactive' fictions (e.g., game books, 'puzzle' books), and fictions created via non-traditional methods (e.g., shuffle literature, AI-written fiction, etc). So, something like that would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

Mr. Nemo posted:

Disclaimer: not your santa

But could you specify what you've read already? Or link to good reads? So you don't end up with S and that book about cancer and sports that's made out of loose pages if you've read them already.

Also I like that too so I could use the recs.

Sorry for the slow reply – the joys of the end of term.

I don't have a good reads account, but I can definitely drop some reccommendations.

With regards to shuffle literature, the “classic” is Composition no. 1 by Saporta. Originally published in French, there’s a neat translation by Richard Howard. As a story it’s probably the best of the bunch, and the shuffling works as part of the whole thing. The other big one most know of is the one you mentioned – The Unfortunates by BS Johnson. It’s… not great? As you say, it’s about death, friendship, and football. The shuffling stuff doesn’t really add anything substantive, I think. Still, it’s fun enough? A few other notable ones: Heart Suit by Robert Coover (who wrote the short story The Babysitter); this comes as a literal deck of cards (or at least it does in the version I have). The Family Arcana by J. Berry is another story printed on playing cards. It’s a fun read! Sentences by Robert Grenier comes in a super beautiful box and 500 "pages". Honestly though, I suspect that all this is going to be replaced with AI generated texts. Shuffle literature is super cool, but your laptop can do it faster/better (and we can share particular distributions to talk about the stories generated).

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

PatMarshall posted:

Package dispatched.

And now that I've sent mine out, I will allow myself to open my secret santa gift:

Wow, these look great! Thanks so much, I can't wait to read! I haven't heard of any of these other than Zweig and I have not read any of them, they looks really interesting. Thanks again for the thoughtful gift and note!

Oh good! I was worried the package had been lost in transit.

The Honjin Murders is fun (it's basically a Japanese noir story), Beware of Pity is heartbreaking, and Fog is genuinely one of my favourite books. Enjoy!

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

In a post-Christmas miracle, my gift arrived! After opening the most neatly arranged package I've ever seen, I discovered a very cool book about football tactics, along with some neat extras:

Thanks for the excellent gift, Teach!

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

Yesterday, PostNL notified, saying I've a package to pickup (after paying some import fees). It turns out to be Santa's original gift for me, postmarked 02-12-2022.

Three months to go from London to the NL is impressive. Honestly, someone probably could have walked/swam it over quicker. Still, great to finally receive it! I particularly enjoy the Saddam Hussein and cronies playing cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

Teach posted:

Well, I'm pleased that the package finally got to you - what are you going to do with the second copy of Inverting The Pyramid? :)

Flip the pyramid back around, obviously!

(Probably give it to my buddy, so we'll be slightly more knowledgeable when we are yelling at/about Jizz Horncamp)