Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

You can count me in again. Thanks for setting this up, I always enjoy doing both the giving and receiving of TBB Secret Santa.

Please no poetry, but otherwise I'm good with whatever you think is interesting. Here's my Goodreads with everything I've read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I got my two books this week. It was a fun time! I originally posted this, and got these responses:

The Grey posted:

Please no poetry, but otherwise I'm good with whatever you think is interesting.

Of course what did I get? I expect nothing less from Something Awful!

quote:

Writing very bad poetry requires talent. It helps to have a wooden ear for words, a penchant for sinking into a mire of sentimentality, and an enviable confidence that allows one to write despite absolutely appalling incompetence.

The 131 poems collected in this first-of-its-kind anthology are so glaringly awful that they embody a kind of genius. From Fred Emerson Brooks' "The Stuttering Lover" to Matthew Green's "The Spleen" to Georgia Bailey Parrington's misguided "An Elegy to a Dissected Puppy," they mangle meter, run rampant over rhyme, and bludgeon us into insensibility with their grandiosity, anticlimax, and malapropism.

Guaranteed to move even the most stoic reader to tears (of laughter), Very Bad Poetry is sure to become a favorite of the poetically inclined (and disinclined).

I read through a few of the poems already... Yes, they are very bad. (Although I probably wouldn't recognize good poetry either.)

My wife orders about a zillion things off Amazon and constantly has packages arriving every day. She ripped open this one by default thinking it was for her, and then got confused when she saw the poetry book. She looked again at the label and noticed it was for me. She asked me about it the next day. After I explained it was from Something Awful, she was relieved and said she hoped I wasn't buying a book of poetry as her Christmas present. (That gave me the idea to regift this book to her at Christmas though.)

The other book is one I have on my wanted list, FantasticLand. It's about an amusement park in Florida that gets hit by a hurricane, isolated from society, and turns into a Lord of the Flies type scenario. I enjoy stories about dystopian amusement parks, and this looks great.

Thanks Santa for the fun books!

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Shipped off my package today. Santee should be getting it on Monday.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

They mentioned Gronkrotica in that awful 80 to Brady movie trailer. I thought it was just a joke for the movie. It's disturbing to learn it actually exists.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Chip McFuck posted:

You're welcome! I waffled a bit on whether or not to send you the Gronk book, but I just couldn't resist so please consider it a gag gift. Hopefully you won't hold it against me, lol.

I did make the notebook! Hand-bound just for you.

And speaking of gifts, a package arrived the other day bearing presents that my cat Scribbles took an immediate liking to:

Relics by Time Lebbon
Empire State by Adam Christopher
Badass: The Birth of a Legend by Ben Thompson
A Rage Page notebook
The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet

Thank you, Santa! I'm especially intrigued by The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet but they all look like great picks!

Hope you enjoy them. The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet is one of my favorite books.

Also, Scribbles looks just like my old cat Loki!