Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
That shrimp Jesus is pretty sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

haveblue posted:

I'm not sure if titty shrimp jesus would count as "a realistic person" though

Are you really denying the existence of our lord and savoir, Titty Shrimp Jesus, ya drat heretic!

That's burning at the stake talk!!!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When Apple/Google was introducing "computational photography" to the mainstream people were talking about how they were worried that future generations wouldn't have access to real pictures of animals and plants anymore because everything will have been edited to look better, have colors pop, etc.

Glad that's not going to be an issue going forward since everything will just be fake.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

Glad that's not going to be an issue going forward since everything will just be fake.

Look the real world had a good run, it should just play nice and let fake world have it's turn.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
some what vaguely related and coincidental, apparently Duke is closing its Herbarium. also FF's spell checker doesnt think Herbarium is a real word.

Also I just got hit with youtube new UI and i hate it and thing this is the worst thing ever until the next change.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

dr_rat posted:

Look the real world had a good run, it should just play nice and let fake world have it's turn.

Thought we already tried that with Second Life.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Shrimp Jesus got that cocktail sauce stigmata

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
What a creole death... crucifixins

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Boris Galerkin posted:

When Apple/Google was introducing "computational photography" to the mainstream people were talking about how they were worried that future generations wouldn't have access to real pictures of animals and plants anymore because everything will have been edited to look better, have colors pop, etc.

boy do I have bad news about Lightroom and camera settings for you (is my camera showing real colours if I change the setting from "portrait" to "velvia" or "neutral"?). unless it comes with a picture of a colour reference chart taken under the same condition any image is untrustworthy as a representation of contrast and colour

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

suck my woke dick posted:

boy do I have bad news about Lightroom and camera settings for you (is my camera showing real colours if I change the setting from "portrait" to "velvia" or "neutral"?). unless it comes with a picture of a colour reference chart taken under the same condition any image is untrustworthy as a representation of contrast and colour

This is true for things not pictures as well. You better believe things at noon are gonna look hella different from things at dusk are gonna look different from things under a florescent light.

Edit: I realize some people may go "Well no poo poo things look differently when its dark", but part of my job is identifying prehistoric ceramics and people loving love color descriptors despite it being pretty well know that color is one of the worst loving ways to do it, and one of the main reasons is that the field person looking at poo poo at different times of the day outside is going to see a different color then the person in a laboratory setting.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 22, 2024

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Elons lawsuit against the Center for Countering Digital Hate was thrown out for "unabashedly and vociferously about one thing ... punishing the Defendants for their speech."
https://www.npr.org/2024/03/25/1239549276/elon-musk-lawsuit-hate-speech-researchers

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.416212/gov.uscourts.cand.416212.75.0.pdf
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1772307527994102224

https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1772288746437685743

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 25, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It probably didn't help that it was obvious that the issue they specifically cited, that he got all pissy about, was easy to replicate. Ads were 100% being placed near posts that were full of hateful or offensive poo poo. Which is a deliberate choice Elon himself has made.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

It probably didn't help that it was obvious that the issue they specifically cited, that he got all pissy about, was easy to replicate. Ads were 100% being placed near posts that were full of hateful or offensive poo poo. Which is a deliberate choice Elon himself has made.

Whether CCDH's claims were true or not actually wasn't relevant to the case, because Elon pointedly did not sue for defamation. Instead, he sued for stuff like breach of contract (because the ToS forbade scraping tweets, and some other stuff along those lines).

If he'd sued for defamation, then it would have mattered whether CCDH's claims were true or not, as well as whether they were maliciously made. But by suing over petty contractual stuff instead, Musk claimed that the lawsuit had nothing to do with CCDH's report at all, and was based entirely on violations they'd committed while gathering data for the report.

Of course, the problem with that is that no actual harm was done to Twitter X by the tweet scraping. Advertisers weren't leaving because CCDH scraped tweets, they were leaving because of the contents of the report CCDH published. If CCDH had never published the report, Twitter never would have bothered to sue them, even if they had evidence of the tweet scraping. Hence the judge's conclusion there.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Speaking of pissy.

https://twitter.com/BobbyAllyn/status/1772311636994355205

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
assuming facebook, twitter, and tiktok follow the life cycle of companies like myspace, [insert whatever blogging platform was da jam during your gradeschool/highschool] that quotes going to age badly.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
There are pretty good alternatives now so people have no excuse for continuing to use Xitter and contributing to Musks' continued bullshit.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
he's like 10x the pissbaby that Trump is at this point

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

cat botherer posted:

he's like 10x the pissbaby that Trump is at this point

trump without the charisma

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/BirdRespecter/status/1772646958915538991?s=20

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The attorney general of Missouri, who I guess is for some reason desperate to curry favor with Musk, has also sued Media Matters over their Twitter nazi ad investigation

quote:

Bailey didn't provide much detail on the alleged fraud but claimed that Media Matters is guilty of "fraudulent manipulation of data on X.com." That's apparently a reference to Media Matters reporting that X placed ads for major brands next to posts touting Hitler and Nazis. X has accused Media Matters of manipulating the site's algorithm by endlessly scrolling and refreshing.

Bailey yesterday issued an investigative demand seeking names and addresses of all Media Matters donors who live in Missouri and a range of internal communications and documents regarding the group's research on Musk and X. Bailey anticipates that Media Matters won't provide the requested materials, so he filed the lawsuit asking Cole County Circuit Court for an order to enforce the investigative demand.

"Because Media Matters has refused such efforts in other states and made clear that it will refuse any such efforts, the Attorney General seeks an order... compelling Media Matters to comply with the CID [Civil Investigative Demand] within 20 days," the lawsuit said.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

The attorney general of Missouri, who I guess is for some reason desperate to curry favor with Musk, has also sued Media Matters over their Twitter nazi ad investigation

Missouri's holding AG elections this year, and the incumbent has literally never won an election in his entire life - he was one of the governor's flunkies, and was appointed by the governor to fill a mid-term vacancy. Now that his term's just about up, he's got to win an election to keep that position.

Moreover, although AG Bailey is a diehard right-winger and Trump Guy, his opponent is not only a right-winger but also one of Trump's current lawyers, which has given him an advantage with the national MAGA folks. So Bailey desperately needs to do everything he can to beef up his MAGA credentials, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind befriending a deep-pocketed billionaire who's already demonstrated his eagerness to spend tens of billions of dollars on attempting to shift the political landscape.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
musk's ket fried attention span doesnt follow up on things though?

and he only did his big twitter buy because Twitter's og lawyers were better.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/Shayan86/status/1772757348156625249?s=20

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

:aaa:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Obamaaaa!!!! :argh:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHSZ3y3cXsc&t=104s

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/MKupperman/status/1772826929512497536?s=20

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

So this means Detroit would have won the hypothetical Ravens/Lions Superbowl right?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
does inserting spaces between letters really bypass censor systems?

seems like we have the stupdiest timeline where the Shunter2horpe problem is still a thing, but is also trivially easy to bypass.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

PhazonLink posted:

seems like we have the stupdiest timeline where the Shunter2horpe problem is still a thing, but is also trivially easy to bypass.

Those may be nonbreaking spaces which often aren't treated as whitespace characters

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

PhazonLink posted:

It looks like it bypasses whatever is still working at twitter.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Spaces are tricky. For example, try blocking butt and strip whitespace and you get blocks on 'but the'

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Those manage to go live (or did in the past) fairly often. On a game chat, several of us couldn't figure out why stuff we said about a guy keeping his family in the attic so they couldn't see something were getting automodded. After a little brainstorming, we realized it was triggering on "attic until". Then of course people started using "until attic" as a confusing insult until everyone forgot about it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Reminds me of Phantasy Star Online, where you couldn't say Assassin or Saturday, but you could make little glyphs with geometric shapes and everyone made dicks.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Agents are GO! posted:

Reminds me of Phantasy Star Online, where you couldn't say Assassin or Saturday, but you could make little glyphs with geometric shapes and everyone made dicks.

Don't forget 'basement'. :eng101:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Saturday basement assassination in Scunthorpe.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why not Saturday or Basement? What’s the dirty word there?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

IUG posted:

Why not Sa-turd-ay or Ba-semen-t? What’s the dirty word there?

Just gotta know how to break it down like a 12-year-old.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
The best one I've seen was Age of Wushu censoring "hor", which was pretty confusing in a game with rideable horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
skimming tvtropes page on the SbutthorpeProblem, i like how a gamefaqs example is "lu-stfu-l" or an SA example was making lol into lots of licks