Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

evilweasel posted:

grok make ten thousand variants of pussy in bio, but intelligent-sounding

P░H░D░ I░N░ B░I░O░

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

abravemoose posted:

P░H░D░ I░N░ B░I░O░

I'm assuming the HD is hi def. Is it 8k?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

8k diffuse / 4k normal map

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nervous posted:

I'm assuming the HD is hi def. Is it 8k?

Sounds like a great stream

GentleReject
Jan 16, 2024
Agree or not, there's something inspiring about watching someone tank billions of value purely on principle.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I mean every other big tech company is dogpiling on the AI train while AI-generated garbage degrades their primary product, Elon's just cutting out the middleman.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So for a few weeks now my YouTube history page has been filling up with random music videos and other videos I’ve never watched. Does anyone else have this problem?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Do you have premium? Someone could've gotten access and is using it/sold it to someone

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

Do you have premium? Someone could've gotten access and is using it/sold it to someone

I used a free Premium trial earlier this month :/

Do I need to shut this one down and make a new account?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Change your password already. That’s like security 101.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

SgtSteel91 posted:

I used a free Premium trial earlier this month :/

Do I need to shut this one down and make a new account?

Nothing that drastic. Change your password, also change the password of any account you have that uses the same password. If you use the same password everywhere you should change them all now and stop using the same password. Get a password manager like Bitwarden. Enable 2-factor authentication on anything that has it

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

SgtSteel91 posted:

So for a few weeks now my YouTube history page has been filling up with random music videos and other videos I’ve never watched. Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm going to go out on a limb and ask if you still have the feature enabled where the YouTube UI will start inline playback of any video that you hover over for more than a few seconds (as opposed to a silent 3-second preview). It's been my experience that every one of those, even if you linger on them for just a few seconds, will show up in your history and screw up your recommendations, and if you don't want that you have to manually disable the feature on every device you use.

All the other things are great security practices, but never forget that YT is overloaded with stupid platform tricks.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I turn that feature off and it keeps turning itself back on. I hate it with the hatred of a thousand hates.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I paused my YouTube app on Roku the other day, and when I came back it had autoplayed an "Artistic Background Images for Your TV" video that I'd never seen before and had to remove from my history. Absolutely no idea how that happened since I turn any and all autoplay poo poo off immediately, and couldn't find any settings in the Roku app that looked like they might have anything to do with that.

It's also started switching paused videos over to a "screensaver" of the current video rather than the paused video and I hate it. Presumably to prevent burn-in? Let me turn that poo poo off.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Maybe Roku is testing that thing in the news recently where they want to take over the HDMI connection and show advertisements every time you hit pause.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/roku-tv-...s%20newsletter.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Two-factor authentication is absolute hell when you don't have your phone on you for some reason or you change numbers.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Star Man posted:

Two-factor authentication is absolute hell when you don't have your phone on you for some reason or you change numbers.

The worst in my experience is moving country and then discovering that certain businesses or services won’t allow you to use a phone number from the country you’ve moved to for multi factor authentication. My Canadian bank account started requiring a Canadian phone for MFA but I live outside of Canada so I have to get my dad to use his phone whenever I want to log in and it’s a huge pain in the rear end.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
since we're talking about 2FA/MFA, whats up with non 6 digit codes.

like I seen 4, 8, and most recently a 5. also the sms ones really should do a mid break so 6 or 8 is 3-3 or 4-4.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

MeinPanzer posted:

The worst in my experience is moving country and then discovering that certain businesses or services won’t allow you to use a phone number from the country you’ve moved to for multi factor authentication. My Canadian bank account started requiring a Canadian phone for MFA but I live outside of Canada so I have to get my dad to use his phone whenever I want to log in and it’s a huge pain in the rear end.

I had the same issue when I moved overseas. I now use some service that gives me a US number to receive text messages and emails them to me for this purpose because I was tired of having to schedule times with family to relay codes to me for poo poo. Pretty cheap and easy solution.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I had the same issue when I moved overseas. I now use some service that gives me a US number to receive text messages and emails them to me for this purpose because I was tired of having to schedule times with family to relay codes to me for poo poo. Pretty cheap and easy solution.

3cx as an IP phone accepts text messages. I've hooked all my 2fa to that because I can share extensions as needed in companies, so we can share 2fa accounts.

And it's usable in a web browser. Loose your phone. No big deal. In another country just need any workable internet.

The way 2FA was adopted was a loving war crime.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

2FA via SMS can be less secure than nothing at all; in addition to social engineering and SIM swapping attacks, there are now services that let someone silently intercept SMS messages without the victim even knowing: https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3g8wb/hacker-got-my-texts-16-dollars-sakari-netnumber

These vectors of attack all require that you are specifically targeted by whomever is trying to take over your accounts, which is much less scary than mass credential breaches. Regardless, 2FA via SMS is not a secure method for things that are truly important.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

A lot of security poo poo is stupid and poorly implemented. As a password manager user, I am infuriated by systems that disallow pasting passwords when creating/changing passwords. I want to use a strong and very long password for everything and if they're going to make me type it in by hand twice I'm a lot more likely to get frustrated and enter a password that meets the bare minimum requirements (8 characters, one number, one capital, one symbol) than a 16-20+ character long complex password.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the alpha and omega for password policy should just to have no min, a max of 124 characters , and allow the entire unicode set.

also emails address are semi PII imo and they should instead ask for a username.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The alpha and omega of logins right now are passkeys, which are public/private key pairs not meant for human exposure so they are thousands of bytes long and not restricted to valid Unicode at all

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Guy I work with complains about having to use his phone for 2FA to log into office 365 all the time. He forgets his phone at home like once a week at least. He'd rather just have a dedicated key fob for 2FA that can be lost instead of a phone that everyone has with them 24/7 but he's also a boomer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Honestly I resent having to use my personal property for work functions. They should give me some dedicated 2fa thing instead of demanding that I use my own phone, load 2fa software onto my own phone etc. If they want me to use a cell, they should issue me one.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Honestly I resent having to use my personal property for work functions. They should give me some dedicated 2fa thing instead of demanding that I use my own phone, load 2fa software onto my own phone etc. If they want me to use a cell, they should issue me one.

this

bring your own device can be convenient, but it should be optional and/or you should be able to claim your personal device as a work expense

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I just use 1Password to generate my work 2FA codes though. I already use 1Password as my personal password/2fa manager so it's literally something I already use. iOS's built in password manager now does 2FA and I'm assuming Android's default version does too, if you don't want an app. I'd understand your guy's opinions on this if this required a dedicated app but it doesn't and this way doesn't give work IT any access to your device either. You just scan a QR code in your 2FA app and it's set up.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The issue is that because of that TFA requirement, the company de facto requires that you have a contemporary smartphone even if you don’t require one for your actual duties, but wouldn’t pay for you to have one if you didn’t have one, and that’s “you have you buy your own uniforms” level of really stupid

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

The issue is that because of that TFA requirement, the company de facto requires that you have a contemporary smartphone even if you don’t require one for your actual duties, but wouldn’t pay for you to have one if you didn’t have one, and that’s “you have you buy your own uniforms” level of really stupid

Company is an engineering company. Everyone that needs to log into office 365 are computer touchers. I think it's safe to assume the venn diagram of engineers that use a computer to do work and doesn't have a smartphone are two separate circles. Company also supplies laptops and poo poo to employees. I'm sure that for the 1 edge case that somehow doesn't have a phone they will make an exception. It's seriously a non issue.

I'm not talking about being forced to sign into Office 365 and having to install work apps here. Literally just opening up your password manager that you should already be using in your personal life to scan a QR code or enter a code sequence to set up your 2FA and doesn't give the IT department any access to your phone.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 20, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You're discounting the Lightphone type folks who are either burnt out by and hate their dayjobs and are only doing the work because it's the only skill they've developed, or willfully obstinate technologically.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

You're discounting the Lightphone type folks who are either burnt out by and hate their dayjobs and are only doing the work because it's the only skill they've developed, or willfully obstinate technologically.

Edge cases. Non issue.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Or they could buy loving Ubikeys.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just use 1Password to generate my work 2FA codes though. I already use 1Password as my personal password/2fa manager so it's literally something I already use. iOS's built in password manager now does 2FA and I'm assuming Android's default version does too, if you don't want an app. I'd understand your guy's opinions on this if this required a dedicated app but it doesn't and this way doesn't give work IT any access to your device either. You just scan a QR code in your 2FA app and it's set up.

I also use 1Password, then if I am forced to change it I use 2Password, then 3Password, etc

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Or they could buy loving Ubikeys.

Just wanna make sure I understand. You guys would rather have to remember to carry a physical fob with you every day to work to generate a 2FA code to login to Office 365 once a day. Instead of just using the phone that's already in your hands the moment you sit down at your computer? Again I'm talking about using either the built-in password manager or password manager of your choice, not a dedicated app, and doesn't require giving your IT access to your device because it's entirely offline. And you guys are under the impression that a company that will give their employees $1000+ laptops for work don't want to spend $25 or whatever for a Yubikey for the 1 loving weirdo that doesn't have a smart phone?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not really and this is the crux of the problem.

It's really not initiated the same on every platform and version.

It's then expects your employees to maintain their personal devices at the level of enterprise it nerds. Which seems to trivial to us, but is a huge pain in the rear end for a vast majority of normal people in normal work places not ruled by scrum bosses, wfh and paid travel expenses.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just wanna make sure I understand. You guys would rather have to remember to carry a physical fob with you every day to work to generate a 2FA code to login to Office 365 once a day. Instead of just using the phone that's already in your hands the moment you sit down at your computer? Again I'm talking about using either the built-in password manager or password manager of your choice, not a dedicated app, and doesn't require giving your IT access to your device because it's entirely offline. And you guys are under the impression that a company that will give their employees $1000+ laptops for work don't want to spend $25 or whatever for a Yubikey for the 1 loving weirdo that doesn't have a smart phone?

at my job, I have to use a yubikey for some things and the microsoft authenticator app for other things, and sticking the yubikey into a USB port every morning is absolutely more convenient and reliable than pulling out my phone every time I want to login and waiting for the wi-fi fairies to decide whether or not to send that login request

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023
Put your yubikey on your keychain like a goddamn adult

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Peter Falk posted:

Put your yubikey on your keychain like a goddamn adult

My keychain is just 1 key because not everyone drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Boris Galerkin posted:

My keychain is just 1 key because not everyone drives.
you never get mail?