Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

mawarannahr posted:

you never get mail?

I have informed delivery so I can see who's mailing me and if I want to bother getting it. I usually get my mail once a week or two. Not enough to keep my mail key with me 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
E: Wrong thread

koolkal fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 21, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

koolkal posted:

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/new...sed-businesses/

Apparently over the past 2 months, the Biden admin has conducted a number of marijuana raids in New Mexico. The governor appears rather confused and has asked the Biden admin for clarification and only received responses saying, essentially, weed is still illegal.

Might be the wrong thread for this, but that doesn't say anything about raids. It's talking about weed being seized from vehicles passing through Border Patrol checkpoints.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Might be the wrong thread for this, but that doesn't say anything about raids. It's talking about weed being seized from vehicles passing through Border Patrol checkpoints.

Yes, I thought this was the USCE thread!

koolkal fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 21, 2024

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mawarannahr posted:

you never get mail?

Not everyone's mailbox requires a key.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So I changed my google password, since it's connected to my youtube account, but the random music videos are still appearing.

When I checked the details, it says that it was played through TV

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
If you haven't yet, go into the Google account security panel and at the very least sign out any devices that you're 100% sure aren't yours.

Google: one password, a world of hurt.

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

Boris Galerkin posted:

My keychain is just 1 key because not everyone drives.

Cool now it can be two!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://archive.md/20240423170616/https://www.businessinsider.com/meta-threads-more-daily-us-users-twitter-elon-musk-x-2024-4

Threads allegedly now has more active daily users in the US than Twitter.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Without the people on these lists or embedding on the forums it doesn't exist for this goon

(How come Twitter is still so popular in politics?)

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

mawarannahr posted:

Meta is trying to get away from politics as much as it is possible. There’s risk and liability associated with politics and the wider culture war so it makes sense to focus on things like sports, influencers, celebrities, cat videos, gaming etc when you are essentially just an ad company although they are probably passing up a lot of cash which Musk is happy to take.

https://www.businesstoday.in/techno...6985-2024-02-10

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

mawarannahr posted:

it had finally become the accepted platform for highbrow journalists and politicians to shitpost to when musk started wrecking things, change is hard

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Owling Howl posted:

Meta is trying to get away from politics as much as it is possible. There’s risk and liability associated with politics and the wider culture war so it makes sense to focus on things like sports, influencers, celebrities, cat videos, gaming etc when you are essentially just an ad company although they are probably passing up a lot of cash which Musk is happy to take.

https://www.businesstoday.in/techno...6985-2024-02-10

Yeah, the main thing Twitter has going for it right now is that nobody seems to actually want to be the next Twitter.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I find that pretty hard to believe. I thought Threads was mostly dying.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Threads gets a lot of movement just from the behemoth that is Facebook directing stuff its way.

Did they ever implement activitypub for it to integrate with mastodon?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Nitrousoxide posted:

Threads gets a lot of movement just from the behemoth that is Facebook directing stuff its way.

Did they ever implement activitypub for it to integrate with mastodon?

Yes and like 90% of instances blocked them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This has been extensively discussed in USCE but may as well post it here: Biden has signed the anti-Tiktok bill. ByteDance US has 270-365 days (executive's discretion) to sever all ties with China or the app will be banned in the US, assuming it's not struck down in court, where it is definitely going next

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 24, 2024

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That situation is so bizarre. Would conservatives rally to facebook if China demanded that meta sell it to a Chinese company?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I AM GRANDO posted:

That situation is so bizarre. Would conservatives rally to facebook if China demanded that meta sell it to a Chinese company?

Doesn't China already have something sort of like this for some companies where you have to let Tencent purchase some of your stock or something if you want to do tech stuff in China?

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Doesn't China already have something sort of like this for some companies where you have to let Tencent purchase some of your stock or something if you want to do tech stuff in China?

I don't know about tech, but the lab auditing company I work for had some clients in China, but we dropped them when China basically said we had to give them all our internal documents, which China would own in China.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The specific issue with TikTok is that the Chinese government apparently has back door access to the app and can potentially do nefarious things because of it

It was discussed for awhile today in D&D but I could see US TikTok just getting shut down instead of sold

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What could any government do that’s more insidious than what the corporations profiting from the apps do with them every day? It’s like saying the CIA can get into the walk-ins at McDonalds.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I AM GRANDO posted:

What could any government do that’s more insidious than what the corporations profiting from the apps do with them every day? It’s like saying the CIA can get into the walk-ins at McDonalds.

I can think of a few things. Exhibit A:

:nsallears:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I AM GRANDO posted:

The Chinese government has a omnipresent system of combined surveillance, propaganda and censorship directed both inward and outward. McDonalds does not. McDonalds also doesn't have police power.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

McDonalds also doesn't have police power.
Mayor McCheese is actually a big fan of unlawful government surveillance

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

https://www.threads.net/@statedept

https://www.threads.net/@secblinken

https://www.threads.net/@joebiden

https://www.threads.net/@potus

https://www.threads.net/@usaid

https://www.threads.net/@europeancommission

https://www.threads.net/@housedemocrats

I can't help you with embeds. Resetera has beautiful Threads embeds, so it's definitely supported.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Whoa, gently caress yeah, thank you 🙏 did not expect this!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The government of China also has a history of coercing Chinese citizens abroad (or even just those with relatives in or near China) via spying. If the government has any amount of access to your family or anyone you care about, it's a seriously bad idea to speak badly of China if you want them to remain safe.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Oh neat, I didn't realize that you can follow threads accounts on Mastadon now. I guess they enabled activitypub. No need to use facebook to for threads.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Unless your instance preemptively blocked threads.net from day one. Which a lot of them did.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

FlamingLiberal posted:

The specific issue with TikTok is that the Chinese government apparently has back door access to the app and can potentially do nefarious things because of it

It was discussed for awhile today in D&D but I could see US TikTok just getting shut down instead of sold

They probably should've passed a law banning any company from doing those nefarious things instead of just telling this one company to sell to an American instead.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Kith posted:

The government of China also has a history of coercing Chinese citizens abroad (or even just those with relatives in or near China) via spying. If the government has any amount of access to your family or anyone you care about, it's a seriously bad idea to speak badly of China if you want them to remain safe.

Yeah it really sucked when they drone murdered a man and his kids over poo poo he said.

oh, wait, that was the US, who also has all this same loving access to nobody's apparently complaint.

this is a poorly-concealed protectionist move that also has obvious 1A problems if anyone gives a gently caress about that anymore

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lyesh posted:

Yeah it really sucked when they drone murdered a man and his kids over poo poo he said.

oh, wait, that was the US, who also has all this same loving access to nobody's apparently complaint.

this is a poorly-concealed protectionist move that also has obvious 1A problems if anyone gives a gently caress about that anymore

Yeah the Chinese government is famous for not killing their citizens for expressing things.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah the Chinese government is famous for not killing their citizens for expressing things.

my point is that you don't get to point at them and decry them over poo poo you're doing too. if they wanted to make a law against social media sites sharing data with government, cool be my guest. but don't play this bullshit about foreigners being bad just because their parent corporation answers to someone other than the us gov't

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Lyesh posted:

my point is that you don't get to point at them and decry them over poo poo you're doing too. if they wanted to make a law against social media sites sharing data with government, cool be my guest. but don't play this bullshit about foreigners being bad just because their parent corporation answers to someone other than the us gov't

It actually makes a lot of sense for the US govt to take this position about the US govt

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Papercut posted:

It actually makes a lot of sense for the US govt to take this position about the US govt

I'm aware of that making sense. It made sense for the confederacy to protect slavery in its constitution. I'm saying that it's a scum-gently caress thing to do and against many of the ideals that government claims about itself.

Lyesh fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 25, 2024

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lyesh posted:

you absolutely do, I'd much rather be upset at some bad things inconsistently than consistently in favor of all bad things

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

evilweasel posted:

you absolutely do, I'd much rather be upset at some bad things inconsistently than consistently in favor of all bad things

So if the government passed a new law tomorrow saying there will be new gun control laws passed but only apply to black people, you would be in favor of it?

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Lyesh posted:

The US gpvernment is in favor of the US government having access to social media data but is not in favor of certain others governments having access to it. It’s not really inconsistent although I guess you can say it’s hypocrisy in the same way it’s hypocrisy to want to spy on others but you don’t want to be spied on yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The law they passed should probably have done that instead of just forcing TikTok to sell itself to an American.
The EU managed to pass laws about user PII having to stay in the EU.