Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

haveblue posted:

Expertise implies functioning brain cells. Can you imagine having functioning brain cells and also a desire to start working for Twitter right now? Firemen don't run into burning buildings while the arsonist is still throwing gas on them

$125/hr plus benefits and i'll be a twitter mod

call me, Elon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Soonmot posted:

I thought world cup was gonna crash twitter this weekend?

so far it seems nobody was excited enough about the Qatar Ecuador game

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Edmund Lava posted:

He is (was?) the richest man on earth. Someone was going to bite. Not sure how they thought Twitter was going to pay 1 billion dollars in interest a year, but I’m no finance guy.

Jeff Bezos has one of his minions pushing f5 on this thread every three seconds

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

detriment? they literally run better when Musk isn't involved lol

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Appearntly everyone he dropped were people on visas.

"hm, i'm very worried i'm not being evil enough

how could i fix this"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

for all Elon's many, many flaws, I don't think he likes his dad much

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

how can this keep getting stupider

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nah, people were right that it's a matter of when, not if, but a website can chug on for a while before having actual failures even when everyone who is able or willing or allowed to fix them has been fired. Look at SA.

astral has all sorts of horror stories about his various, uh, discoveries when he came on

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

bringing your boss hard data and charts showing he's obnoxious and disliked is a top tier move

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Papercut posted:

I don't think Twitter was ever valued at $44 billion? That's just what Elon godfather offered at for whatever stupid reasons he had.

Which is specifically why the Twitter board raced to solidify the deal before he sobered up - there was no conceivable way even to cook the books and come out with that number. When you're offered a vastly excessive amount of money for your asset by a buffoon, you say yes.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

dev environment? What's that?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Family Values posted:

The guy was apparently on some sort of 'do not fire' list that large adult son didn't know about or didn't bother to check before firing him:

https://www.platformer.news/p/in-latest-round-of-twitter-cuts-some

Lol:

https://twitter.com/courtneymilan/status/1633141759063605251

please do not sully the good name of a star wars cop by comparing him to elon

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

I mean, he only needs to document it if he’s claiming the one you he’s personally paying as site income or comping the payments as losses on his p&l statement or for taxes, which seems unlikely

However, dril is pointing out that musk might be opening himself or Twitter to lawsuits:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1649919372700565504

yeah the people saying this is defamation are probably very wrong but more lawyerly people than i seem to think this is a pretty plausible case of advertising fraud / false endorsement

Shadowlyger posted:

It's super funny that the overall reaction people are having is "oh god no get this poo poo off me".

i don't personally give anywhere near as many fucks about current blue checkmarks as... anyone? but it is incredibly funny and also a series of avoidable, blatant fuckups by a multibillionaire, who doesn't seem to realize that any part of the process was a mistake

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 23, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Jesus III posted:

Sorry, the floor looks like the ceiling from the basement.

that's a good line, i am going to steal it

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not sure I could run the place worse if Elon paid me to do it, but I'm willing to give it a go.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Everybody's said everything important about the particular situation, but I'd like to note that policy bodycam privacy concerns aren't entirely offbase, they're just abused for cop corruption. We really would prefer for the lapels of people who routinely barge into private yards, houses, and bedrooms to maybe not be 100% public all the time. obviously the nypd using delaying tactics for another angle of deliberate police brutality does not so much fall into that category

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Soonmot posted:

in a better world, that car rolled.

thiel emerges, shattered limbs snapping back into place in seconds, the dent in his skull reforming, blood running down his jaws and staining his clothing

"elon didn't make it, it's very tragic"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

evilweasel posted:

he just looks vaguely better than elon musk

how did you get your hands on my resume

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Particularly given the number of times Tesla has "accidentally" charged a bunch of its customers' on-file accounts coincidentally just in time to juice its end-of-quarter numbers, issuing refunds after those numbers come out.

Did any legal consequences come of that (yet)? I guess one option would be to issue slightly larger refunds and call it the cost of defrauding investors doing business. I know that if I got a "we're very sorry we charged you five thousand dollars, here is an additional one thousand dollars in your pocket" I'd seriously consider leaving my card on file. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

Why the gently caress are Apple and IBM still advertising on xitter at all. I can kind of get Xfinity because it's hard to think of a more publicly hated company.

because there are still twitter users that don't share our opinion of it

as long as you're getting a good price and not actively damaging your brand (which in this case has much more to do with the placement of the ads than with Elon tweets) why wouldn't you?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

haveblue posted:

Twitter has filed its thermonuclear lawsuit. Their core complaint is that Media Matters used Twitter in an atypical way in order to deliberately cause ads to appear next to antisemitic posts more often than they would organically

You might notice that Twitter doesn't deny that that can happen! They just say it's rarer than the expose claims, and Media Matters is cheating because its examples were the result of going to look for it rather than accidents

The lawsuit was also filed in Texas, which neither party has a presence in, but which does have a notable lack of anti-SLAPP laws and a notably insane conservative-stacked appeals route, so there's that

Texas actually has one of the strongest anti SLAPP laws in the country... but lawyers following the suit are saying Musk is filing in a way specifically to dodge it (by starting in federal court iirc?[.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

technically you'll find it's not down, it's just almost impossible to access tweets directly or make new ones

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

Can't it be sold to a buyer outside the US? I could not find the verbiage in the bill, but several articles I read a few days ago stated that it must be sold to a US buyer. Is this actually true, and if so, on what basis would, say, a Saudi buyer be disallowed from owning it?

It only applies to "foreign adversary" countries. You can Ctrl f the tiktok divestment bill (https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/7521/text) for the clause citation to where those are defined, but it's currently apparently: China, Iran, Cuba, North Korea, Russia, Venezuela. So yeah, a Saudi monarchy associated corp could probably buy it.

Or a wealthy Vietnamese communist. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

koolkal posted:

The main way this bill succeeds is if it is on the grounds of Tiktok being a national security threat since it's owned and controlled by a foreign enemy (China).

That is, in fact, the official legal language in the bill. There just aren't any other significant social media networks whose corporation is beholden to a... uh, lemme check the language. Foreign adversaries, with a particular notation for Bytedance/tiktok to make it ever so slightly harder to litigate. Current countries:

(1) The People's Republic of China, including the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (China);

(2) Republic of Cuba (Cuba);

(3) Islamic Republic of Iran (Iran);

(4) Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea);

(5) Russian Federation (Russia); and

(6) Venezuelan politician Nicolás Maduro (Maduro Regime).

with the possible exception of Russia I rather doubt there are any other relevant social media platforms at all, never mind large ones; there might be some Russian-owned webforum out there that could be caught in the net

e: oops mistook which thread i was in and apparently I posted this last page basically

reignonyourparade posted:

Looking forward to the forced divestment of LiveJournal:v:

oooo yeah if anybody cared about livejournal i think they might actually be in the crosshairs

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 9, 2024