Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Does Discord have any moderation whatsoever? I assumed they left it all to the individual server owners. Opening up any kind of public chat would likely be even more disastrous than Twitters recent boom in slurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'd laugh about Zuck's VR obsession, but it looks almost charming when you put that side-to-side with Musk and Twitter.

He honestly believes that he will be vindicated by history and that even if he ends up losing money that he won't make back he will be remembered as a pioneer.

This is extremely funny.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You have to remember that he's also desperate because he just lost billions of dollars on this. I can imagine him making even stupider decisions if he feels he has to change things immediately or lose all his money very quickly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Although I do like the idea of giving everyone on Twitter 10 bucks so he goes broke that much faster.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

To be fair, Elon Musk is pretty dumb.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He really has gone full Fuhrerbunker. Locking everything down in fear of imaginary traitors.

Well, if you they wouldn't pledge eternal loyalty to him then clearly they are plotting to betray him.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I am also less optimistic about Twitter's inevitable death. Unlike the right-wing spin-offs, it already has an established base of users, and for all the anecdotes we hear about people leaving for other sites, I have to imagine that at least ten times as many more people won't bother to change their lifestyle even slightly.

The money thing is an issue, theoretically, but Musk really wanted to get rid of the debt he just declares bankruptcy for the company, and it's not his problem anymore. I'm not a bankruptcy lawyer, but I cannot imagine a world without a billion loopholes for him to crawl out through.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Eh, there still seems to be quite a bit of "just because he's a genius in one field..." type apologism going around. People are extremely reluctant to believe that a billionaire could actually be dumb, because it calls all of society into question.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just because rich people are immune to consequences doesn't mean it's not funny.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Of course he can shut it down, he owns it. He can do whatever the gently caress he wants, especially if it's terrible.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Congrats Jared Kushner, new CEO of Twitter.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I guess he's trying to sound snarky like "you don't understand the position I'm in, you fool" but literally all he is doing is whining about how dumb he is?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Also worth noting: Twitter is sinking because he blew several dozen holes in it and continues to do it every time anyone suggests patching one of those holes.

Companies like Twitter have never made money and never will. They only stay afloat by scamming money from venture capitalists.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 19, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I recall they actually broke even for a while. Also you can scam VCs for a surprisingly long time and there was no sign Twitter couldn't continue doing that until Elon musked everything up.

Even if by some miracle a tech company DOES make money by actually selling a product (ads), that itself is only done by scamming corporations of online ad money which has never been proven to actually work as well as executives assume it does. The internet economy is entirely supported by people with too much money paying big bucks for things with no value.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Didn't count because people who don't like him were allowed to vote.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Teratrain posted:

Has anyone else checked out Tumblr lately? It's kinda chill after so much exposure to the systemic hatred that embodies Twitter nowadays.

The general reactions over there seems to be:

A) "lol. lmao."
B) "We welcome all the Twitter refugees but don't gently caress this place up like you did back there."
C) "Why didn't Musk ban links to Tumblr too?! I feel so left out..."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

As objectionable as underage cartoons are, they are not CSAM in that no children were harmed in their production.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ah, a Touhou fan.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I am wondering that too. What it reminds me of is when a fan wiki gets taken over by one of the big wiki sites and all the contributors just move to somewhere else.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

twoots

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't think billionaires really want to lose money so other billionaires can be richer. That goes against the idea of keeping score.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They spend money on getting Republicans elected so THEY can make more money. It's an investment. The point I am making is that in your scenario Musk would be taking a huge loss that he will never recover before he dies, simply to make his peers more money. Which is not how billionaires, or anyone really, thinks. He can never personally make back that investment no matter how competent he might have been at manipulating public opinion through twitter.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 20, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Musk has never cared about laws before and he's not about to start now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Also presumably if they are reporting on what it's like to have a blue checkmark in April 2023.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Also the poll was rigged because people who don't pay him were allowed to vote.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's consistently hilarious seeing Musk try to play the "I bet you need me more than I need you!" card and being humiliated, over and over again.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't think he believes in chuds, as in he doesn't recognize them as a distinct group. There are simply the people who agree with whatever he says, and the people who don't matter. Those are the only groups.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if SOME of them are faking it for street cred, but in this particular case it seems that an individual artist was given a mark reserved for organizations so it was probably just handed out by someone who couldn't read Japanese and only saw it was a popular account.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 23, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Isn't this just kinkshaming? Unless there is evidence that he's committing crimes or something.

Edit: Not gonna read every tweet in detail, maybe there is.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

A man should be free to roleplay as whatever toddler he wants in the privacy of the world's public town square.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I use Discord as an image host because it's easier to upload something to chat than to use actual dedicated image hosts.

Re: Nazis, I'm not really sure what we expect Discord to do about that unless it's monitoring every single server, which I'm sure we don't want for other reasons.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Video game translators (as in, professionals) also seem to use Discord as Slack for whatever reason. As in, a lot of actual work get coordinated there.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Teratrain posted:

There are definitely too many notifications on by default, but I think that's a legacy from its original scope as a comms app for smaller gaming circles. Bigger servers are especially bad for this if they're not strict with mass pings so most people tend to disable notifications and only specifically re-enable them for things they care about hearing quickly.

I really don't want any pings unless someone is talking to me, personally. Joining a big "community" server seems like an advanced step that should only be done later.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Discord also works best when you're just hanging out with your friends in a reasonably small chat room that can switch to voice chat at a moment's notice. Sounds like you were trying to use it as a way to join random people in one-off voice chats, which is not really what it's designed for.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's for talking for your friends. It's built for the size of a WoW guild or whatever. It's not a forum.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tree Reformat posted:

We may be heading toward a world in which social media just kind of... dies, in general, as a concept.

And honestly? I'm here for it. Stake the vampire once for all, dumbass techbros.

To be fair, I don't think many of them have ever actually made money. The entire concept is being kept afloat by gullible investors with blind faith that eventually they will get sold to idiots like Musk (which is the only way they can possibly turn a profit).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Also, well, Twitter was probably losing money in the first place, before he said he'd buy it for the funny weed number, and then once the courts said that, no, you can't take back your signature on the contract just because you were doing a bit, he found himself on the hook for a huge amount of money, and of course Twitter is still bleeding money. So part of it's just that he wants to leave his mark on it, yes, but the other part of it is him desperately looking for a way to monetize it. Which is both impossible and also he's pretty stupid so his ideas are below average.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

What is the economic incentive to show people algorithm promoted stuff rather than their own followed posts anyway? Does it generate more ad revenue that way? Someone mentioned the computational costs of generating a list but I can't imagine that that's actually relevant.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

He's also the father of the Awkward Zombie author.

Whoa, that's crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

"Engagement" is not the same as enjoying. Do not buy into their framing of it.