Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Journos and the masses of commentariat will be the last to abandon the platform, though they'll be complaining all the way to the bitter end. That Kendzior tweet is a good example, completely deranged inflation of the importance of social media as though it's some holy sword in the hands of a paladin and not just another propaganda and consensus manufacturing outlet wholly owned and operated by the same sort of people who run Fox News, like what it replaced and will replace it. No timeline of corruption no matter how meticulously and lovingly crafted is a threat to anybody. It's stuff for textbooks by people who will not be writing them.

If the choice is to archive all of it or archive none of it the latter is the better choice by far. Save dril and the world bollard association I guess.

I agree about the paladins part, but is the textbook thing a reference to climate change / a fascist dark age or something? Because it is possible to study history using biased sources, so long as they're recognized as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

No, just half personal griping that just making note of these things isn't some heroic act because we're pretty firmly in the "oh yeah, what are you gonna do about it?" stage of rightward shifts, and that if you don't win you don't get the write the textbooks. Even in the context you say I don't think an archive of Twitter which is like 99.99% pure garbage is going to have anything worth saving that isn't documented elsewhere. If it's remembered as something on that scale at all, it'll probably be like we look back on leaded gasoline.

Well yeah, Twitter definitely has a problem of volume and I don't exactly pity the fools who have to trawl through whatever's left looking for primary or secondary sources. But on the other hand, I was just reading a history study where the author said a certain (paper) primary source had been lost to the ravages of time and they had had to resort to basically hearsay for that one paragraph, so :unsmith:

Twitter as an influencer today right now is definitely a toxic cesspool, for quite a few reasons.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Discord is just IRC with bells and whistles on top, and IRC certainly was a platform that enabled if not outright encouraged to keep one's doings in separated silos. It might be awkward if Discord just decided to create a twitter-esque Disco-sona for each user profile, and suddenly one's pals from the Train Washing Simulator 2022 server and Local ACAB Militia server got to interact with one another.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's weird that I see such pushback on this across so many lines. It just outright seems the final obvious missing piece of Discord. It can do texting, voice chat, dms, video chat, forum threads. It does everything. It already is a social media community. But there is no larger infastructure for it's entire userbase to engage with all at once. And in the event it existed it seems poised to be able to take space away from other social medias.

Right, but all of the other activities you list are (some more, some less) better suited for curated lists of pals / people with shared interests, not the entirety of the Void Internet. It would not serve any of my interests to associate my discord information with a general social media "me" that represents all my interests, and as I tried to say earlier I can imagine several use scenarios where this would be a down-right unwanted downgrade to the platform.

Discord even tried to add functionality in the other direction, so to speak, when some time ago they boasted about making it easier to swap between accounts on the fly. I guess this type of functionality could be used to maintain both a "general" Disco-tar for a twitter-like public-facing social media persona, and a smattering of accounts for one's political activities, various gaming communities and so forth, but this still seems like the opposite of synergy with what Disco currently offers to the user :shrug:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I'm a linguist whose current research projects use Twitter as a corpus and I am desperately trying to scrape language data because if Twitter implodes I am hosed.

:rip:

I wonder how many PhD programs Elon managed to derail?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Waiting for the inevitable big brain boy Elon tweet, "if you see any child abuse on Twitter, just DM it to me" :allears:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's always wicked Haman, never wicked Ahasuerus. :smith:

Lalli had a good middle ground there

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well, to function, at least. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Look, just because we brutalized Greece for a generation doesn't mean...

poo poo

Hans?

Are we the bad guys?

:smith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of the summary of neoliberal UK Labour; the fundamental basis of their plan is 'Make it 1997 again by science or magic'.

This sounds like the plot of a Laundry Files novel, not that any of those are kind to the UK political system. Maybe moreso to mister Lovecraft's weird tales, though.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

have we forgotten ASCII art? Am I that :corsair: ?

Playing ADOM, someone walking by and looking at me like I'm operating the Matrix or some poo poo. Hell yeah!

Then I die to a dumb trap, but that's roguelikes for you

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Angepain posted:

I do respect them for naming their social media network after a horrifying depiction of the aftermath of nuclear war, though

I keep reading this like that too, and dang these kids :argh:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I hope the stuffing was centipedes, at least!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Can't wait to see where this goes next, delusions of grandeur never end well :allears:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Oh I'm sure Elon will die of old age with Rosebud X on his lips in a gilded mansion, but I'm curious to see what happens to the bird-x-site as he keeps larping his god-king fantasies.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

I was banned for that once. Not from Twitter, from SA. In my defense, your honor, I was simply quoting a post

A genu-whine lowtax ban? That's like getting touched by Elon himself!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

If only Jon Stewart hadn't made fun of his bowtie.

Wait, so it was the Jews all along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Chaotic Flame posted:

I know that won't be the death of discord or anything but I still really hate that you pretty much have to join a million discords for any kind of game resources now. And you better hope things are pinned or good luck finding anything between the thousands of posts

/old man yelling at clouds

You're not alone