Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cicero posted:

What the fuuuuuuuuuck

Even the most smooth brained basic rear end engineer in the world should've known this is a terrible goddamn idea, Jesus Christ.

The creator was like 19 when they made it 2-3 years ago and I don’t know if they studied any kind of engineering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Apparently not.

They should just use a big mailing list or Usenet or something like that. It’s a solved problem.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Professor Beetus posted:

lmao, 'xvideos' is trending on twitter right now and it's hilarious.

Why is this funny?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, is this legal? Don't Apple and Google require that block be an option as part of basic safety features required for apps?
Does this mean Awful.app is in violation of the rules if you can't block admins, mods, and IKs?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

nachos posted:

His whole strategy banks on the idea that twitter has no competition and users will never leave despite how many ads they are forcefed
I leave when they do:
I'm not seeing these concentrated anywhere else.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

whydirt posted:

BlueSky can’t replace Twitter until it a) has open registration and b) you can see posts without an account
For now, here's a way to view ALL the posts: https://firesky.tv/

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nitrousoxide posted:

Many nitter instances also have RSS feeds for the twitter accounts so you can follow them without Following them.

The rss feature does not work very well in my experience, like it would cause my reader to issue an error about a third of the time.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Now wondering what streaming services sanctioned actors have favored

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Young Freud posted:

It's the Daily Wire. The whole scheme was to develop their own audience to sell their failed Hollywood career content to.

To clarify, I meant actor in the sense of, like, does Viktor Bout have Peacock?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

ColdPie posted:

$96k is not a competitive tech salary.

I touch a computer as good as anyone else and make less :mad:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

you know I'm surprised that no one in the thread has brought up the drama that the CEO of Tumblr's parent company, Matt Mullenweg (co-creator of WordPress) got caught up in.
If you've got something, spill the beans.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Boris Galerkin posted:

My keychain is just 1 key because not everyone drives.
you never get mail?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Without the people on these lists or embedding on the forums it doesn't exist for this goon

(How come Twitter is still so popular in politics?)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I AM GRANDO posted:

What could any government do that’s more insidious than what the corporations profiting from the apps do with them every day? It’s like saying the CIA can get into the walk-ins at McDonalds.

I can think of a few things. Exhibit A:

:nsallears:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Whoa, gently caress yeah, thank you 🙏 did not expect this!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Can't it be sold to a buyer outside the US? I could not find the verbiage in the bill, but several articles I read a few days ago stated that it must be sold to a US buyer. Is this actually true, and if so, on what basis would, say, a Saudi buyer be disallowed from owning it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Goatse James Bond posted:

It only applies to "foreign adversary" countries. You can Ctrl f the tiktok divestment bill (https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/7521/text) for the clause citation to where those are defined, but it's currently apparently: China, Iran, Cuba, North Korea, Russia, Venezuela. So yeah, a Saudi monarchy associated corp could probably buy it.

Or a wealthy Vietnamese communist. :v:

Thank you, I had a hard time finding it in the senate version on my phone. There's a lot of misinformation/confusion out there. This wasn't the only article reporting incorrectly:
Senate passes bill banning TikTok if parent company does not sell it

www.theguardian.com - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 posted:

The Senate voted on Tuesday to pass a bill that will either ban TikTok or force a sale of the short-form video app, giving its China-based parent company ByteDance up to one year to divest its crown jewel before facing deletion from US app stores.

The vote was a landslide, with 79 senators voting in favor and 18 against. The bill passed in the House on Saturday by a margin of 360 to 58, as part of a foreign aid package for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan. It will now make its way to the desk of Joe Biden, who has previously said he would sign the legislation.

The new law gives ByteDance a year to sell TikTok to a US-based company, or the app will face a total ban from American app stores. TikTok’s head of public policy for the Americas, Michael Beckerman, made it clear in that time, the company will fight the legislation in court. If the new federal law goes into effect without being blocked, Apple’s App Store and Google’s Play Store will be required to stop offering TikTok for download or face financial penalties.