Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

OneEightHundred posted:

It's gonna be 100% Eddie Lampert style "I did everything I could to transform the company but it was just too dysfunctional to survive in a tough market."

He's going to blame Liberals/The Woke Left/Activists, claim to be a victim and become more radicalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Star Man posted:

No, I really think he spent forty-four billion dollars, regardless of whose money it was, into burning Twitter to the ground out of his own volition. It's just so catastrophic that it has to be with intent.

I have no evidence for this and am completely pulling it out of my rear end, but god drat it just feels like it makes more sense than it being out of sheer stupidity.

It seems about as erratic and chaotic as when he started a car company and decided to revolutionize manufacturing with his Alien Dreadnaugh factory and lost a few billion on it. The difference is Twitter doesn't have the finances for leadership to go through a learning curve, regulators have a lot less tolerance for social media companies than car companies and the age of infinite free cash is coming to an end.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

PhazonLink posted:

lol at musky's birdsite banner being a terraformed Mars, lol that type of tech isnt even doable for a few centuries.

Musk wants to use nukes for terraforming and we've had nukes for 70+ years so...

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

PhazonLink posted:

??

i've never heard of nukes as a method of terraforming, well at least making things warmer and stuff. like nuclear winter isnt warm?

Nuke the poles..

It's dumb and it doesn't work.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Jaxyon posted:

I mean it's not entirely random chance, but it's mostly random chance.

It's random chance he was born a white man in apartheid, random chance he was born as a rich man even among white people in apartheid, and then that opened a bunch of doors and gave him a bunch of second chances, all of which played out hugely in his favor.

Point is, lots and lots of people take big chances and many even put in hard work and do everything right and still are dirt poor with zero power.

Musk is very, very good at raising cash at very low rates. Not just from institutional investors but also large numbers of devoted fans. It's an immense advantage. In that sense Tesla enjoyed a lot of the same benefits that fueled the crypto boom and it's not a coincidence that crypto Twitter scams focus on Musk - it's the same ~Tech~ crowd that love and hype both.

To a large extent it stems from his "he lands rockets" cred. Which is profitable if you have a high enough launch cadence. Which you can do if you can find a reason to do it like a mega-constellation. Which might not be profitable. We'll see.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
His obsession with code is bizarre. Twitter works fine. There's nothing technically wrong with it. It doesn't sell enough ads to be profitable.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

haveblue posted:

Yes. It’s a conspiracy theory that covid was produced in a bioweapons lab and then got out (accidentally or otherwise)

How would the origin of the virus affect what Fauci recommended to fight the pandemic?

Oh he's saying Fauci created covid.

Owling Howl fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 12, 2022

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Harold Fjord posted:

A lot of the things that look like it listening to you is actually it telling you what your friends were looking at recently. Because it's tracking who you spend time with

Yeah, ads I see change depending on who I'm working with so by inference I know who is looking at crypto and who got a kid on the way. It's easy to think it's listening in when you're talking about things and ads change to match but the things people talk about happens to also be the things they're looking at online.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Apparently he got rid of the thing that tells you if a post was from IOS or android. What was the point of that existing in the first place?

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nice

Stock has been down a bunch today alone

It was always a bubble meme stock. But people have poured so many billions into it that, in spite of everything, he managed to build a car company. Maybe we'll get to see how it works when he doesn't have an infinite free cash firehose jammed up his rear end.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

haveblue posted:

I'm also a little surprised SpaceX seems to have escaped the meltdown. Guessing that's because they have all-but-guaranteed government funding and a record of real technical achievements

SpaceX is burning a couple of billion per year. They raised 2.4 billion this year and 2.2 billion last year. Again - it works as long as people continue to throw money at Musk.

If Starship or Starlink turns out to be duds SpaceX will crater albeit there will still be business with the Falcon 9. The commercial/government launch market just isn't that big and the F9 targets the least profitable segment so there won't be the kind of growth that allows you to raise infinite cash.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Neo Rasa posted:

Absolutely correct, but you can't expect a chronic reply guy like Musk to do anything but openly and immediately reply.

That's one thing but he also 100% thought it was a random employee he could humiliate in public and then assumed his disability was some sort of scam. He hasn't tipped his hand like this since the pedo tweet or his infantile feud with the SEC.

As the worlds richest person he is a very fitting figurehead for our economic system.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Star Man posted:

What is it going to take to actually kill off Twitter? A lot of us speculated that it would be wrecked by the end of the year, but it's still truckin'. Is it going to take bankruptcy and the company being parted out?

MySpace still exists. Even failing spectacularly there will be enough users around to keep the lights on for a very long time.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Musk claims that Taibbi is employed by substack and also Substack tried to dl Twitters database.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1644638493883211779?s=20

Searches for Substack now returns "newsletter". It also returns results for substack so it appear to mostly muddle searches on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1644520442793787392?s=20

Good stuff :munch:

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Young Freud posted:

In other news, cryptobros mourning the loss of the NFT

My ape market all gone

Cryptobros speedrunning beanie baby culture.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Working at Twitter must be wild. 2/3 staff are gone so things are randomly breaking and you can't do proper content moderation while your boss is telling you to turn the app into a bank and a dating site.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Kith posted:

It's honestly pretty strange to me that so many goons lept to the defense of Facebook, given its history with privacy violations. Like... really? Facebook? As in "the company that's being blocked from even being allowed to launch Threads overseas because it's that much of a privacy nightmare" Facebook? THAT Facebook? You're finding it unlikely that they're doing sketchy poo poo with private information?

If a random person tweets that they found evidence that Hitler was a pedophile I would want a little more data not because I want to defend Hitler or don't believe him capable of it but because Twitter users encompass a vast group of people who can make mistakes and be wrong or are very dumb or have mental illness or are children or trolls making poo poo up or are paid agents looking to deliberately spread disinformation etc etc

If it's sufficient evidence for you, I think you'll end up with a lot of false beliefs. If you judge the credibility of a statement on your feelings about the subject you'll re-enforce and solidify your biases in a never-ending spiral towards more and more outlandish claims and conspiracy theories.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Clarste posted:

Okay, let's assume you're right. Maybe she had another facebook account under her real name and they used that to make the change. So what? How does that invalidate her concern that facebook changed the name of one of her accounts without permission? It's 100% irrelevant to the problem under consideration here, and focusing on it seems to be missing the point, imo.

If Meta did that then that was bad and wrong and they shouldn't do it. I think people here broadly agree on that so there's not really anything to debate.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Ardryn posted:

The X has been cast down according to ABC.

Can't even brighten peoples lives anymore. Wokeness gone mad.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

evilweasel posted:

if it’s a police body cam it’s a work for hire because the cop takes the video in the ordinary course of their job and it belongs to the police department

Doesn't really look like a bodycam to me. I suppose it could be but most likely Twitter is being dumb.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Taylor Swift joins Elon Musk in trying to silence student who tracks celebrity jets.

Probably one of the only good uses of social media.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

mawarannahr posted:

(How come Twitter is still so popular in politics?)

Meta is trying to get away from politics as much as it is possible. There’s risk and liability associated with politics and the wider culture war so it makes sense to focus on things like sports, influencers, celebrities, cat videos, gaming etc when you are essentially just an ad company although they are probably passing up a lot of cash which Musk is happy to take.

https://www.businesstoday.in/techno...6985-2024-02-10

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Lyesh posted:

my point is that you don't get to point at them and decry them over poo poo you're doing too. if they wanted to make a law against social media sites sharing data with government, cool be my guest. but don't play this bullshit about foreigners being bad just because their parent corporation answers to someone other than the us gov't

The US gpvernment is in favor of the US government having access to social media data but is not in favor of certain others governments having access to it. It’s not really inconsistent although I guess you can say it’s hypocrisy in the same way it’s hypocrisy to want to spy on others but you don’t want to be spied on yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

duz posted:

The law they passed should probably have done that instead of just forcing TikTok to sell itself to an American.
The EU managed to pass laws about user PII having to stay in the EU.

For what it is worth I’m sure Facebook would be allowed to operate in China if it was sold to a Chinese company.