Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Kith posted:

The government of China also has a history of coercing Chinese citizens abroad (or even just those with relatives in or near China) via spying. If the government has any amount of access to your family or anyone you care about, it's a seriously bad idea to speak badly of China if you want them to remain safe.

Yeah it really sucked when they drone murdered a man and his kids over poo poo he said.

oh, wait, that was the US, who also has all this same loving access to nobody's apparently complaint.

this is a poorly-concealed protectionist move that also has obvious 1A problems if anyone gives a gently caress about that anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah the Chinese government is famous for not killing their citizens for expressing things.

my point is that you don't get to point at them and decry them over poo poo you're doing too. if they wanted to make a law against social media sites sharing data with government, cool be my guest. but don't play this bullshit about foreigners being bad just because their parent corporation answers to someone other than the us gov't

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Papercut posted:

It actually makes a lot of sense for the US govt to take this position about the US govt

I'm aware of that making sense. It made sense for the confederacy to protect slavery in its constitution. I'm saying that it's a scum-gently caress thing to do and against many of the ideals that government claims about itself.

Lyesh fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 25, 2024

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

It's bad that the US is setting even more bad precedent about 1A protections. This is more in the trend of the bullshit about "foreign influence" that they're using to justify whatever they want since it's so easy to claim about anyone you don't like. It's bad that they're trying to claim moral high ground that they don't have, which deepens distrust between the US and other countries because it makes our government look even more unpredictable, cynical, and craven. It's bad that they're escalating tensions with China for no reason.

Staluigi posted:

so china doesn't get to point at the US and decry them banning tiktok, yes

I don't live in china. Their government does not represent me, so i don't have as much call or right to complain about the poo poo they do. My government is continuing a long line of trumped up bullshit to distract from all the awful things that everyone else in that sphere is doing right now (as many people have pointed out, if China wants a lot of this data they can just buy it on the open market). They don't have any interest in addressing the very real problems in social media and are just stoking resentment.

Something like a law about keeping PII of US citizens in the US would be totally fine with me. I'm not hard to satisfy on this issue. I just loving hate how much not-even-veiled lying goes on about foreign influence, literally a fake-rear end casus belli that China itself uses to justify their own attacks on protesters.

Lyesh fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 26, 2024

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

reignonyourparade posted:

I'm Pretty sure there are in fact laws about that but there is significant doubt about tiktok following them because of particularities of its corporate structure.

There aren't even clear laws about that for PHI (last time I checked, at least), so I doubt it.

Per HHS (https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-profe...ates/index.html):

quote:

Do the HIPAA Rules allow a covered entity or business associate to use a CSP that stores ePHI on servers outside of the United States?

Answer:

Yes, provided the covered entity (or business associate) enters into a business associate agreement (BAA) with the CSP and otherwise complies with the applicable requirements of the HIPAA Rules. However, while the HIPAA Rules do not include requirements specific to protection of electronic protected health information (ePHI) processed or stored by a CSP or any other business associate outside of the United States, OCR notes that the risks to such ePHI may vary greatly depending on its geographic location. In particular, outsourcing storage or other services for ePHI overseas may increase the risks and vulnerabilities to the information or present special considerations with respect to enforceability of privacy and security protections over the data. Covered entities (and business associates, including the CSP) should take these risks into account when conducting the risk analysis and risk management required by the Security Rule. See 45 CFR §§ 164.308(a)(1)(ii)(A) and (a)(1)(ii)(B). For example, if ePHI is maintained in a country where there are documented increased attempts at hacking or other malware attacks, such risks should be considered, and entities must implement reasonable and appropriate technical safeguards to address such threats.

Which sounds a lot like, "you can do that, but it's on you for the breach if that cloud provider has their government force them to provide your data."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Staluigi posted:

that's a cop out punt to the original question, and someone sincerely relying on that logic can't give a useful answer about how either country should be handling the situation because they've announced that they're only really 'allowed' to criticize one country completely

I'm glad that you're fluent in Mandarin or Cantonese or w/e and can properly evaluate primary sources across Chinese society. I'm not and won't act like I can. But the US government has been proven to lie so thoroughly and so often about other countries and their governments that I'm totally unwilling to accept anything they're saying about them as true.