Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Good to know that the massive drop in FB quality isn't just happening to me. Over the last 6 months or so the ads and autoplayed videos have become so prevalent and so, so bad. At first I tried hiding the comic book and Joe Rogan-esque meme poo poo, but that just seemed to make it worse. I started get like weird SE Asian or Arab meme posts that are totally incomprehensible to me instead, and now it's autoplaying hosed up videos of violent robberies, people feeding hamsters to snakes, etc.

It's such a shame that a lot of the really active niche hobby groups I follow are still all based on FB, because I would have ditched it months ago if they weren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

poo poo. I guess I won't try to squelch the comic book stuff then.

I always assumed that FB was pretty strict in its content moderation of videos, but apparently there's a whole swathe of stuff, like animal abuse and crime CCTV videos, that's acceptable.

The first time I encountered this was when I was scrolling through my feed late at night and saw a video of someone holding a hamster, which I assumed was some anodyne cute animal video; imagine my surprise when it proceeded a few seconds later to showing that person feeding the live hamster to a giant toad in graphic HD detail.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

whydirt posted:

I’m not sure this is a great time/place to “both sides” this particular fight.

Why not. The ADL is loving terrible.

ken-watanabe-let-them-fight.gif

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
The ADL has zero moral authority and has been carrying water for Israel apologists for as long as I can remember. Any damage this can do to them is a good thing.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Jon posted:

I'm not shocked that people are expressing hesitance to defend an organization that has been an open and vocal advocate for a genocide. If Elon had targeted, say, JVP or B'tselem the reaction would be entirely different. Framing it as "we don't like some of that organization's views" strikes me as a pretty disingenuous dismissal.

Yep, exactly.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Oh, no, we're not antisemites, but when Apartheid Musk blames all his troubles on a Jewish organization we're happy to well actuallying why it's really okay because we don't like some of that organization's views"

They’re both lovely, fyi. I’m not defending Musk- he is an antisemite. I just hope that this damages both parties.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

It doesn't matter how much you dislike the ADL for other reasons. When you're watching a bunch of open white supremacists publicly attacking the ADL for its opposition to white supremacists, you do not nod along and say that maybe the white supremacists have a point.

If you hate the ADL for other reasons, that's fine, hate the ADL for those reasons. But when multiple posters are uncritically taking Pizzagate Guy's anti-Semitic attacks at his word and openly expressing their hopes that the white supremacist hate campaign manages to damage their target, then I think it's worth expressing concern here. When you're watching openly anti-Semitic white supremacists openly organizing to attack an organization for its stance against anti-Semitism, that is absolutely not a "let them fight" moment. I'm not saying you have to get out there on the digital streets and start fighting to defend the ADL, but maybe at least we could try not being so quick to pull out the cheerleading gear.

I--and I think others like me--aren't nodding along with Elon Musk, Mike Cernovich, or any of the other right wing Twitter shitheads. They are attacking the ADL because they are open antisemites now, and I absolutely don't agree with their attacks.

The ADL is, however, a horrible organization that has done, and continues to do, an enormous amount of damage. Just this past March, its CEO went on the record equating left-wing groups critical of Israel with right-wing groups like those attacking the ADL now, stating that both "endanger Jews." Where I live, in the UK, the ADL's campaigns in conjunction with small-C conservative British Jewish groups have done considerable political damage, effectively wiping out the left wing of the Labour Party and any prospect of progressive politics taking hold for the near future.

So I'm absolutely not going to cry if this campaign does damage to the ADL. Other progressive Jewish advocacy groups? Absolutely, I'd be up in arms. But not the ADL.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 6, 2023

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Aramis posted:

In that case, you still shouldn't be rooting for Musk, because any and all "damage" he causes will be tainted by the fact that they are 100% correct in going after him for their stated reasons.

Damage is damage. If he drains the ADL's funds and hinders them from carrying out their campaigns, so be it.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

PT6A posted:

I am extremely weary of the ADL due to their anti-Palestinian positions, but ultimately I want them to get their poo poo pushed in as a direct result of those positions and not for the things they do which are worthwhile. Having them chastised for the good things they do does nothing to stop the bad things they do in the long run, and even if I thought their eventual elimination were a net positive, any successor organization would learn the lesson that "anti-Palestinian poo poo is good, criticizing American Nazis is bad" and that doesn't accomplish my goals of stopping the bad things the ADL participates in.

I and some posters in this thread are obviously not ever going to see eye-to-eye on this issue, but I'll just say that the main reason I feel the way I do about this scenario is precisely that right-wing Jewish advocacy organizations like the ADL don't ever suffer consequences for their lovely positions and campaigns in the real world. They throw the accusation of antisemitism around in defense of Israel and pro-Israel politicians knowing how damaging it is and knowing that most people won't dare challenge them for fear of being tarred with the same label. They actively damage or destroy progressive movements and then crow about how they've helped to prevent the next Holocaust, all the while actively supporting atrocities and oppression in Palestine. They also often ignore or only occasionally limply criticize actual right-wing antisemites while aggressively attacking the left, so this involves some added chickens-coming-home-to-roost schadenfreude.

I can't remember the last time a group like the ADL was actually held accountable for its aggressively terrible actions. So I'll take the next best thing, which is the prospect of the psycho idiot impulsive billionaire draining them of some resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Star Man posted:

Two-factor authentication is absolute hell when you don't have your phone on you for some reason or you change numbers.

The worst in my experience is moving country and then discovering that certain businesses or services won’t allow you to use a phone number from the country you’ve moved to for multi factor authentication. My Canadian bank account started requiring a Canadian phone for MFA but I live outside of Canada so I have to get my dad to use his phone whenever I want to log in and it’s a huge pain in the rear end.