Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Saying the problem with Discord is that it doesn't have traditional Twitter/Facebook social media features is like saying the problem with car doors is they don't have a spot for you to insert your penis so you can slam it in the door more efficiently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Big Slammu posted:

A glorified IRC/Ventrilo platform for video game nerds is not going to garner adoption from the masses

Ok, and? It shouldn’t, and doesn’t need to.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cicero posted:

Good SRE's are probably quite hard to replace, too. At Google they're paid even more than SWE's.

I would expect so, yes. And I think you'd probably have to pay a premium above comparable positions elsewhere when you've just announced that the company is run by a vindictive idiot who will not hesitate to lay people off without thinking.

Musk really has made an astonishing amount of fuckups in a very short time. I would've expected him to make any of those mistakes, sure, but not all of them all at once.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It's very much like a clown show, if the clown in Sideshow Bob and he's stepping on all the rakes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

That sounds like Musk is planning to hide from the FTC in space.

“I’m escaping to the one place that hasn’t been corrupted by woke libs… …. SSSSSPACE!”

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Elon was the only employee left.

Well, he's pretty hardcore, so by his own logic, the company's probably fine, right?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

BRJurgis posted:

Stop trying to make me like him.

If it helps, he never intended to do any of those things, they just happened because he's a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and his butt smells and he likes to kiss his own butt.

He was defending the drug company before the fact-checking feature of his own site spanked him.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean that was literally what he spent that $44 billion to do: unban the Babylon Bee. The Bee getting banned for being a source of transphobic horse poo poo was THE inciting incident for his Twitter buy, so I'm actually kind of surprised it's taken him this long to break the shackles around his favorite outlet for all the frustration he's working through because his wife left him for a trans woman and took his kids away from him.

A rare win from the Bee!

(You know, convincing Elon to buy and then destroy twitter)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Rick Wilson has at least had the decency to be really goddamn legitimately funny in addition to his grifting, so that mildly sets him apart from all the other yahoos.

And he's also honest about exactly the sort of rear end in a top hat he is. There's no grift there, he lays it out in front of you. He's a conservative prick, he doesn't hide it, he just really hates Trump and he wants the pre-Trump GOP back.

I like him. I can deal with an honest rear end in a top hat. I can't stand a duplicitous rear end in a top hat.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

There's some very creepy poo poo with Facebook. In recommended friends, it once came up with my therapist's (minor) daughter, which is just absolutely creepy as gently caress for multiple reasons. I still have no idea how it could've pieced that poo poo together, but I know I don't like it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I want to buy "whereiselonsjet.com" and provide live tracking information on that cretinous little wuss.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

Knowledge status: Transitioned.

Reminds me of a friend I used to have. Seemed like a decent guy, but you'd always notice he'd never really have any "old friends" in his life despite being a very social person.

And then you'd see the few fallings-out with current friends. But you were still cool with him; those other people, it was always a two-way street, they could be dicks too. And you'd see new friends come along. Until it was your turn and he'd pick a huge fight over some stupid nonsense, and the cycle would continue. You might still talk to one or two of the newer people in his social circle, and then find out... oops, they'd got into it with him too, and they're now out!

When you exist in that haze of narcissism, as that guy did, and Trump does, and Musk does, it's only ever a matter of time until your number comes up. You can pretend you're different, and you might outlast the odds, but not forever; because, ultimately, it's not about you or anyone else, it's about the narcissist.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Fun thing is when years later you hang out with those layers of former friends and it turns out they're a lot easier to get along with when not mediated through an rear end in a top hat vortex.

Absolutely, and you get to share the stories of when you had to save The rear end in a top hat from himself because he was about to get arrested, or punched. We all had a few and as the years went by, I think we all know the majority of everyone else's stories -- and there's some truly deranged poo poo.

I suspect the full stories of men like Trump and Musk will be wilder and worse than anyone thought possible, because they all cycle through enough people that no one knows the full extent of their behaviour.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of the reasons it's pointless and impossible to continually appease a narcissist; no matter how useful or pleasant you are to them, eventually they'll find a new shiny toy or have a bad day or just happen to be bored for that particular minute and you happen to be a nearby convenient target.

Yes, exactly. The relationship will end for the stupidest of all possible reasons on the surface, because the real reason is: gently caress you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

500 is an internal server error, 503 is Forbidden. Now, there’s nothing stopping the server from returning an incorrect error code, but I’m guessing the 503s have something to do with authentication problems, given the login issues people have been reporting.

EDIT: As has been pointed out, I was thinking of 403!

PT6A fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 29, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

OddObserver posted:

We are both kinda wrong.

503 Service Unavailable
(https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Status/503)

(Forbidden is 403)

... So probably whatever service is handling the APIs the desktop version uses could not talk to whatever handles actual login, though I am probably making unwarranted assumptions about their architecture.

Oh poo poo, you're absolutely right. Good catch, I guess I need more coffee.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Could you not say the same about the Internet as a whole, or a common protocol like e-mail? These systems are used to facilitate the trafficking of CSAM all the time, and the options of what YOU personally can do about it are basically: ignore it, and report it to authorities if it comes to your attention.

The fact that Google (I hope) makes it purposefully difficult to search for that poo poo isn't evidence that they're complicit in hiding the fact it exists. It's a very reasonable decision to limit its spread and avoid people seeing disgusting, vile poo poo.

If there are individual servers that are not doing due diligence in preventing the sharing of CSAM, then absolutely gently caress them, I hope the operators go to prison. But I don't think you can blame the software, any more than you can blame a search engine or a web browser for the presence of CSAM on the wider internet, or a P2P protocol for pedos using it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Kith posted:

I feel like it's pretty on-topic to wonder why underage content on Social Media isn't being more aggressively prosecuted in the Social Media thread, but I'm also not about to get involved with a thread that's almost certainly going to turn into a hideous clusterfuck, thanks all the same

I believe the discussion which is specifically forbidden is the "what is/should be the legal definition of CSAM?" discussion. Presumably the moderation of such material is still on topic in the social media thread.

The legal definition is important only insofar as it represents the legal obligations of social media networks, not what they ought to do. There's nothing saying you, as the operator of a social media platform, have to put up with creepy poo poo of questionable legality just because you don't believe it to be legally forbidden outright. Reddit already went through that with /r/jailbait, which was probably legal, but definitely disgusting. YouTube went through it too. You don't have to allow that sort of thing, and you shouldn't, even if the courts can't lock people up for it.

To compare it to another relevant issue: there's no law against misogynist or racist speech in many/most countries. But that doesn't mean you have to wait until it reaches the point of criminal activity to do something about racist or misogynist speech. You can just kick people out! The Mastodon issue seems to be a question of: "well, what if instance operators don't get rid of that poo poo?" but that fails to recognize the advantages it offers, which is that, if you're operating an instance, you don't have to limit your moderation to what anyone else says, you can just get rid of racists and misogynists and creepy pedos because you don't like them!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

haveblue posted:

Advertising and engagement hacking is the art of getting you to look at things you otherwise would not choose to. It's the core of their business model

This is what I tell my client who ask about SEO. Their business model is "you pay them money to appear in the sponsored results, and the rest of the results aren't so spectacularly poo poo that people will abandon the platform entirely."

You aren't going to get to #1. No one can guarantee that, because your competitors want the same thing and will use the same techniques and honestly they have no less right to it, and why should Google give a gently caress about any of you?

What matters is conversions. Once someone sees you, are they buying something? What can you do about that? That's the thing that impression metrics don't capture, and that's where designers can make an actual difference (but still not much -- you have to be tempting).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Of all the poo poo he's done, that's... surprisingly not awful. People love cheering bits or throwing coins or whatever the gently caress, it's a win-win to allow for it to happen.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

You are not ready:

I mean the first sentence "I've lost three careers to direct racism so far." is technically true just not in the way he's intending it.

He's so perilously close to actually grasping the point he's making by accident... if he achieved it, he'd likely self-destruct.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

You do not, under any circumstances, "gotta fire him."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm absolutely not presuming to be a Youtubologist, but you might be confusing that with the Elsa Spider-Man Shrek algorithmic brain sandpaper targeting children.

No, there were definitely people setting "YouTube challenges" for gymnastics and yoga and such and then sharing timecodes of, uh, the parts of the results they found interesting. Vice did an investigation of it, but I can't find it at the moment.

Seems that YouTube fixed that problem pretty quickly once they were publicly shamed for it being a problem in the first place.

EDIT: I think to a certain degree, it's only fair to blame these platforms for not addressing the existence of CSA-adjacent material on their sites, not the fact that people are trying to use them for those purposes in the first place. What I mean by that is, as with the Mastodon freakout that happened -- the ability to do these things in the first place cannot be viewed as a weakness in the platform or the idea behind it, because pedos are, unfortunately, a crafty and highly motivated bunch, and pretty much any technology will be used to facilitate their crimes. What can and should be criticized in the lack of a decent response once the specifics of the problem are revealed.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 10, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I feel that, despite the many huge and unforced errors Musk has made, this one is by far his magnum opus and it's not even close.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I feel like this explains a lot about how Twitter broke the world.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Payndz posted:

Would you pay $8 for Twitter? No, not Blue, the whole thing. C'mon mun, I need some hilp here!

The white souf effrican accent really sells it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think Spirit is a great company. A huge pile of consumers said, "we want the absolute lowest airfares, far lower than would be reasonable," and Spirit was like, "okay, gotcha, watch this!"

The fact that people hate it when they discover they hate exactly what they asked for is funny and good. What did you expect?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

cumpantry posted:

are their deals really any better than southwest though

I doubt it, but people must be falling for their bullshit for some reason.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

that would be Atlantic Air, the agreed-upon shared fake airline all 6 Hollywood Studios use so they don't have to continually come up with increasingly oddball trade dress to avoid copyright. Sake with the small central American country of Val Verde used in every action movie that needed a tinpot dictator to be attacked by a roided up monster in the 80s

Atlantic Air is poo poo, I prefer Air-O and Cabo Air. They still let you smoke Red Apples, and Air-O has very liberal policies regarding forbidden items in hand baggage :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The interesting thing is that Mastodon essentially gave everyone exactly what they wished for (more control over what you see, the ability to eliminate abusive behaviour, no algorithm bullshit, not ad-driven) and everyone's like "gently caress it, that poo poo's too complex."

It's because ultimately people don't want an echo-chamber, nor do they want libertarian free speech; they want a comfy little fortress of friends and just enough Posting Enemies that they can run out and attack people and get all pissed off, before running back to safety.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Elon's worst crime is making Zuck seem reasonable by comparison. I wish them both an exceptionally.... cozy... voyage on a tiny submarine. They both loving suck and we shouldn't put up with either of them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

haveblue posted:

I'd like to think they missed their window, but they're not going to stop showing the signup link to FB/Insta users and it'll eventually get all the missing features, so it probably won't entirely die

The interesting thing about that is that they probably misplayed their hand, but the stupid X rebrand was such an amazing unforced error that they might yet have a chance.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I am extremely weary of the ADL due to their anti-Palestinian positions, but ultimately I want them to get their poo poo pushed in as a direct result of those positions and not for the things they do which are worthwhile. Having them chastised for the good things they do does nothing to stop the bad things they do in the long run, and even if I thought their eventual elimination were a net positive, any successor organization would learn the lesson that "anti-Palestinian poo poo is good, criticizing American Nazis is bad" and that doesn't accomplish my goals of stopping the bad things the ADL participates in.

It's like attacking the Catholic Church for social justice initiatives rather than their rampant homophobia, transphobia and child abuse. I like seeing them take an L on principle, but it doesn't really help if it's for entirely the wrong reasons.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

We're already paying to use twitter, Elon, you massive syphilitic cock. People provide their labour by viewing ads, which is a service that Twitter makes money on.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think if they canned the ads, more people would be willing to pay a small amount of money for a Twitter account, to be fair.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Modi already had a Canadian citizen killed in Canada for some made up bullshit, gently caress him and his idiot government, I don't know why everyone's been ignoring them for so long.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It's like a sin tax on cigarettes and it's good because gently caress Twitter. You should never start tweeting.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

By 2025 fewer than 5% of people will tweet. We will create a generation who has never tweeted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Now where on the internet will I find P U S S Y, if not I N B I O?

'Tis a dark day...