Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Twitter, and to a degree Facebook have a level of utility that I think will protect them for a bit.

If my power goes out for example, I will check the town or the electric company's twitter. If there was a good play in the baseball game I missed, I check the team's twitter. It's an easy way to scoop up information. I think twitter also had an acceptance by traditional media outlets that was helpful, and would take some time to break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

OneEightHundred posted:

Well good thing the ability to find reliable information from authentic accounts is about to be drastically hobbled for the dumbest reasons possible.
Full disclosure, I don’t even use twitter much outside of utility examples I mentioned. My only social media is some very specific Reddits, discords with mostly friends, and TinyBeans which is a closed circuit social media site for me to share baby photos easily with family members.

I understand the stuff Musk is implementing is really bad, and especially from lenses like trans rights, healthcare, and having a functioning democracy, I think the changes are dangerous. But I also feel like it’s going to impact the Mets or Duke Energy less.

But in the same way that Google is a lovely search engine in so many ways, once something becomes ubiquitous, that’s really hard to break. I haven’t had Facebook in over a decade, but you still see so many local events use Facebook as their main point of communication from people that it’s hard to escape.

My point is that I think that for as much damage that Musk can do, and there is this baseline for how twitter exists in the lives of people who don’t even actively use it that is going to be hard to get away from.

Also the free market is a lie.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Google+ really should have played the long game.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Elon is so obviously desperate for attention and validation. It's pathetic.

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1595124953631715329?s=20&t=WSBFset3klru8BGh93iviw
Doesn't get that Leftwing lies on twitter are something akin to Europe has completely 100% free healthcare for all citizens or the Earth will be completely inhabitable by 2025. Whereas right wing lies are things like vaccines are a Jewish conspiracy or a drag performer is trying to indoctrinate a trans army by reading Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 23, 2022

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's only room for one joke.
And now Twitter has made the "Identify as..." anti-joke more achievable than ever.