Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The hashtag #zlibrary had recently grown popular on TikTok, with users pluggin the free database as a way to access novels popular on BookTok, the app’s community of fiction lovers. (TikTok recently blocked the hashtag.)

“Z-Library is killing us. A book we release in the morning is up on Z-Library by lunchtime,” wrote author Sarina Bowen in a complaint to the Office of the United States Trade Representative earlier this year. “This isn’t the only site that hurts us, but it’s the site that keeps showing up in TikTok videos.”

gently caress tiktok and anyone that uses it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:thanks: for the tiktok updates OP. Looking forward to more epic developments :D

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
gonna take a stank poo poo today

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

gonna take a stank poo poo today

On tiktok I hope

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Oh non! ze library!?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This is a yiff party.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Wow

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Phew glad I saved all my hardcore Gordon Ramsay fanfic. My favourite one is where Chef prepares a fine consomme in his cumslave’s gaped rear end in a top hat

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Meh. Books are bullshit

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019
I am loving DISGUSTED that anyone would read a book without buying it!

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

everything has a cost

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

stop using #zlibrary for this, that hashtag is for discussion of the compression library and it’s causing all sorts of confusion

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Hahahaha How Is ZLibrary Even Real Like Walk Down The Street To The Real-Life Library

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
thinking to post itt

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
sorry you can't steal books

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

oh no

oh no

oh no no no no no

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
is this the liberals i keep hearing about

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
libgen still works

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

R.L. Stine posted:

libgen still works

Fortunately yeah

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

R.L. Stine posted:

libgen still works

BRB posting this to TikTok :owned:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Now let’s burn down those despicable real libraries! Imagine reading for free! Not in this economy!

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Jillian poo poo posted:

BRB posting this to TikTok :owned:

BITCHHHHHHHH

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Love to post about doing piracy on social media. Especially the hows and wheres!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I guess I’ll just go back to straight up stealing books from the actual library

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Stonehouse Beach posted:

I am loving DISGUSTED that anyone would read a book without buying it!

there is a special place in hell for people who download illegal files.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

https://www.fastcompany.com/90806657/z-library-ebook-piracy-shut-down-alternatives

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

man, i would have pirated the poo poo out of college text books if that had been around at the time

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Z-lib still works in the Tor browser on the .onion sites. There are multiple onion addresses, and not all of them seem to work well right now, but, like others believe, since only the domain got seized and all the books are hosted on random servers there is no way the site will actually go down forever. Also, some people have a torrents going of the entire collection up to September this year.

I saw somewhere that Z-lib apparently hosted "11 million books and 84 million articles." Having access to a bunch of journals long after my school cut off my access was a huge help, besides all the 30-year-old university-published books that are still selling for $80 now as digital books on Kindle (or pay $50 to rent it for 6 months!). Free book sites like Z-lib absolutely boosted my grades during my master's degree program because of access to poo poo that was paywalled or purposely priced for obscene profits.

Buce posted:

man, i would have pirated the poo poo out of college text books if that had been around at the time
It owned so hard being able to get the book list for a class and then find fully digital (not scanned) copies that allowed for word search. All I had to remember were key words and then pull up quotes to copy-paste into my assignments. It saved me insane amounts of time, pressure, stress, money, everything.

PITY BONER fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 5, 2022

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You wouldn't download a car :cop:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

loving tiktok

roomtone fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 5, 2022

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
brb going on the dark web to pirate books

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I mostly used z-lib to download research papers that were behind paywalls of research paper aggregator websites who only exist to make money from work they didn't do in which the original intent was for the author to share their knowledge.

rip z-lib

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I too believe that authors should not be paid for their writing.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

run on sentience posted:

yes those research paper authors were certainly looking to get rich. do a lot of authors in your world hate libraries?

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Secret Babies for a Bossy Grump: An Enemies to Lovers Romance

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Sourdough Sam posted:

Oh non! ze library!?

lol

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

yes those research paper authors were certainly looking to get rich. do a lot of authors in your world hate libraries?

The tiktok people are complaining about not being able to pirate fiction, not academic articles and textbooks. The article says that authors are happy about this site being shut down.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005

run on sentience posted:

Writing is rarely ever a money making venture.

The good authors do it for their love of the craft and just want their work to be read and fully understand that it's not the general populace that is stealing from them, it's the publishers.

The bad authors cry on Twitter that libraries are helping the pleebs prevent them from buying another pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

the poo poo kids read? we could use less of those authors, actually.