Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I just read that there are 20 states that have NIL rights for high school players, which astounds me mainly because I'm surprised anyone was seeking out high school kids for endorsements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I extremely did not believe that Bo Nix was the answer for the ducks and I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop but uhhhh that dude is ballin out for real. He has only done a few insanely stupid things since the UGA game.

Same, I thought we took a transfer way too quickly instead of seeing who else popped up. I'm very happy to see Oregon in the CFP conversation going into week 10 of Lanning's first season, but I'd be lying if I said I was super confident about winning out.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I feel like LSU at -2 is free money, so much so I actually investigated what it would take to place a bet and it’s such a pain in the rear end I guess I’ll just pass on this hot tip.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Sash! posted:

I just read that there are 20 states that have NIL rights for high school players, which astounds me mainly because I'm surprised anyone was seeking out high school kids for endorsements.

I could see the local used car dealership in a small rural town giving a clapped out mustang to the star qb for a radio commercial.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The real nightmare scenario is LSU inexplicably beating Georgia in the SECGC which leaves 11-1 UGA and 11-2 SEC Champ LSU who lost by a billion to 11-1 Tennessee at home

Couple with a TCU lost somewhere and god forbid Ole Miss ends up 11-1, a 12 team playoff would be instituted the day after

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Joey Freshwater posted:

https://kyinsider.com/mark-stoops-calls-on-community-to-help-with-nil/

Stoops is gonna bail on Kentucky the second someone comes calling. Two of their top commits decommited this week assumedly because of NIL opportunities.

Yeah I'm worried about this. There is a big disconnect in the athletic department, especially at the AD level. Mitch Barnhart has done great things for UK, especially the non-revenue sports, but he is very against anything NIL. Stoops and Calipari lobbied the state legislators to get NIL legal in Kentucky, and Barnhart was pretty upset they went around him to do it. Basketball will be fine at Kentucky because it's already a national brand and national deals will be available, but football NIL has to rely on local business. UK has a collective, but the AD does nothing to promote it, nothing to lobby for it, and it is going to hurt football recruiting more than anything. If he goes I think it's to the Big 10, especially if Iowa opens. I know money talks but why the hell would anyone want to take the Auburn job otherwise.

e:
Here's an article that really explains the situation at Kentucky.
https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildcats/news/kentucky-football-recruiting-nil-administration-collectives-matt-jones/

quote:

After a conversation with a source last night, Matt outlined three major issues that are prohibiting Kentucky from reaching its NIL potential:

Organization: The school will not empower one particular private group, i.e. a collective, for NIL efforts. There are a few collectives out there doing business with Kentucky players, but UK/JMI is not sending donors to them. Recent NCAA rule changes allow schools to promote collectives. UK still has not.
No proactive movement to connect players to businesses: Kentucky has the BBNIL Exchange but has so far failed to promote it enough that interested parties know it exists.
Active roadblocks by JMI/UK to protect their existing multimedia deal

“Coaches, donors, collectives, and businesses are complaining,” Matt said. “All four are being shut out and we’re going to lose players if we’re not careful.”

Which players? Matt listed Deone Walker, Barion Brown, Dane Key, Alex Afari, Keaten Wade, and Destin Wade as names to watch. With the end of the season approaching and National Signing Day in football just around the corner, the urgency is real.

So not only is it hurting recruiting, Kentucky could lose their 6 best freshmen and 6 of their best players overall.

Not sure how many schools are dealing with similar situations, but most of the big schools seem to be embracing everything Kentucky is not.

TheAlmightyFrog fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 9, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

PostNouveau posted:

These are all very good arguments, but have you considered that Clemson has been good recently and that seems to matter a whole lot to poll voters/the committee?

I think this is a solid point but it feels like the hype around Clemson is so much less than usual season even before the loss.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

LeeMajors posted:

Oh poo poo did I miss this? Splice w the VT future championship trophy case

What's ever worse is they did it at the same ceremony honoring Texas A&M Commerce for winning an actual natty.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/28/17064698/texas-a-m-jimbo-fisher-national-championship-trophy

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The committee putting Clemson behind a 2 loss Bama I think is a nail in the coffin in the chances of an ACC team making it. Sure Clemson will jump some if they win the championship, but I would be shocked if they jumped above a 1 loss Tennessee or the loser of the OSU/MI game. I might be completely wrong because as a Tennessee fan the last time I had to worry about this was before there was CFP (I think 2001 was the last we came close to a BCSNC but lost to LSU in SECCG).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I am glad the committee appears to be punishing schools for soft non conference schedules. Long may it continue.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I missed this pls share evidence

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Thermos H Christ posted:

Counting on Gary Patterson to channel all of his remaining power into punishing TCU and the shiny new coach they replaced him with by loving up their playoff run.

Is this why texas is a 7 point favorite over TCU? Cuz I'm really :confused: about that.

tactlessbastard posted:

I feel like LSU at -2 is free money, so much so I actually investigated what it would take to place a bet and it’s such a pain in the rear end I guess I’ll just pass on this hot tip.

I'm assuming they are thinking LSU is beat up after playing bama, but nothing I've seen from Arkansas even suggests they're capable of keeping up with LSU.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

:cawg: god bless

downout posted:

Is this why texas is a 7 point favorite over TCU? Cuz I'm really :confused: about that.

I think the thought process is as follows:
1) Texas is at home. Home teams are favored CP
2) Texas has been pretty good in a certain kind of way even if the results have been bad! They score a lot of points and perform well on balance, they just loving melt down in the second half. Open question whether this is inherent or somewhat noisy.
3) The losses have been close one-score losses. There's a lot of noise in those.
4) All the forward-looking projections take in to account things like recruiting class strength etc, so even though Texas has underperformed relative to recruiting talent, they get credit here for absolute talent level (you can argue this is dumb)

I do think it'll be extremely funny to see if TCU come-from-behind bullshit is synergistic with Texas choke-in-the-second-half bullshit or if either/both these narratives get destroyed.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:vince:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

downout posted:

TCU been playing close in conference games, but the Big 12 is good this year, so I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

I feel like the only way you favor Texas in this game is that you have not watched a lot of Texas games this season. We do seem to poo poo the bed far less at home, but I dunno if that's compelling enough to say we should be favored.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Video of the ceremony where they gave it to Jimbo, it's even funnier in context.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwPvpH7kY-Y

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Cursed move. Don't ever do this!

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

downout posted:

For whatever combination of reasons, the computers really like Texas right now. Sagarin, ESPN FPI+, etc are all really high on us. I assume whatever methods Vegas uses to set the lines has a heavy dose of algorithms and fancy stats to it as opposed to just eye test and W-L resume stuff.

I don’t see it happening, but I thought Texas being favored to beat KSU on the road was crazy too and apparently the computers were on to something there.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
For fun I checked a website that shows Money vs. % of bets for Texas -7 and LSU -3

TX/TCU - 59% of bets on TCU +7 but 70% of the money on Texas - 7
LSU/ARK - 70% of bets on LSU -3 but 73% of the money on Arkansas +3

There are a lot of flaws with this approach but I wouldn't bet either game based on that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Oregon and USC at 6 and 8 make me think there's a good chance that any 1-loss Pac-12 champ (including UCLA) is going to make the CFP. That said, I'm sure they'll find a way to beat each other up and ensure that the conference doesn't produce a 1-loss champ.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The real nightmare scenario is LSU inexplicably beating Georgia in the SECGC which leaves 11-1 UGA and 11-2 SEC Champ LSU who lost by a billion to 11-1 Tennessee at home

Couple with a TCU lost somewhere and god forbid Ole Miss ends up 11-1, a 12 team playoff would be instituted the day after

Nightmare my rear end, this is perfection.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spacemonkey57 posted:

For fun I checked a website that shows Money vs. % of bets for Texas -7 and LSU -3

TX/TCU - 59% of bets on TCU +7 but 70% of the money on Texas - 7
LSU/ARK - 70% of bets on LSU -3 but 73% of the money on Arkansas +3

There are a lot of flaws with this approach but I wouldn't bet either game based on that.

If I were to bet either game I'd go where the money is heavily leaning and not the total bets. But there is a reason that no one should ever listen to me about this stuff.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This is way worse than the glass case, the glass case is a goal to be reached, something to be filled. This is an assumed accomplishment for something that he hasn't even gotten close to while the coach there. LMAO

Stoops I really wanted VT to try and chase but it seemed like he got his big extension and wasn't going anywhere last year. If he's really jumping ship in the near future, seems like yet more bad timing, should have fired Fuente and gone for Stoops after he kicked the poo poo out of us in that bowl game with a WR for a QB.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

All of this Oregon talk neglects the fact that Oregon is about to play 3 good teams in a row to finish the regular season and then maybe a conference championship game.

Like Oregon was not too far from this position last year and then got blown out by Utah consecutively.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Maxwells Demon posted:

All of this Oregon talk neglects the fact that Oregon is about to play 3 good teams in a row to finish the regular season and then maybe a conference championship game.

Like Oregon was not too far from this position last year and then got blown out by Utah consecutively.

Right, that's both the good and the bad news for Oregon.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

For sure, no guarantees. However, Cristobal was an atrocious X’s and O’s coach, that team had really bad injury problems, and the team had already looked pretty fraudulent. This team definitely looks better and while all those games are for sure losable, I don’t think the Utes got better since last year. (OSU and UW definitely did get better)

Still a good position to be in but it don’t mean anything yet.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah if Oregon goes 12-1, that means they're finishing with wins over UCLA, Washington (whatever that does for you), Utah, and USC (or possibly Utah again). If you have all that and the conference belt, and your only loss is week 1 versus Georgia, I think you have a pretty unassailable case over a 1-loss Clemson and whatever 1-loss SEC or Big Ten runners up that are floating around.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For sure, no guarantees. However, Cristobal was an atrocious X’s and O’s coach, that team had really bad injury problems, and the team had already looked pretty fraudulent. This team definitely looks better and while all those games are for sure losable, I don’t think the Utes got better since last year. (OSU and UW definitely did get better)

Still a good position to be in but it don’t mean anything yet.

From what I gathered in Twitter Spaces that included players and insiders shortly after the season ended, Cristobal was already in talks with Miami before the first Utah game and players knew it. Guys were trying to figure out whether they'd be transferring or not and the team as a whole was basically checked out. Combined with Cristobal being completely outclassed by Whittingham in the coaching department, it makes some sense as to why they were blown out by a good team, twice.

Utah is still the team I'm most concerned about going forward but I think it'll be a close game one way or another.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I just hope we keep the game kind of close this weekend. Basically my entire adult life Oregon-Washingon has not been a traditional rivalry game, in the sense that the better team going into the game has won pretty much every year and you cannot therefore throw out the records, so I expect that to hold true again this year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

General Dog posted:

Yeah if Oregon goes 12-1, that means they're finishing with wins over UCLA, Washington (whatever that does for you), Utah, and USC (or possibly Utah again). If you have all that and the conference belt, and your only loss is week 1 versus Georgia, I think you have a pretty unassailable case over a 1-loss Clemson and whatever 1-loss SEC or Big Ten runners up that are floating around.

I think you're right, assuming Oregon wins out. The only way I guess it falls apart is if the rest of the conference games break such that it devalues all of those wins (Utah, Wash and OSU lose the rest of their games and USC and UCLA suck in a race to see who can avoid going to the PAC-12 championship), and ND wins out making the Clemson loss look less bad and boosting a one-loss tOSU's resume. But I doubt all that poo poo happens.

dphi posted:

Utah is still the team I'm most concerned about going forward but I think it'll be a close game one way or another.

Being at home helps for sure.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Manoueverable posted:

I just hope we keep the game kind of close this weekend. Basically my entire adult life Oregon-Washingon has not been a traditional rivalry game, in the sense that the better team going into the game has won pretty much every year and you cannot therefore throw out the records, so I expect that to hold true again this year.

yeah im expecting a 42-34 Ducks win final kind of game. Just hard to imagine UW defense stopping the ducks on offense enough.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I think a 1 loss Oregon will jump a 1 loss Tennessee after the Pac-10 Championship. They both lost to the same opponent, but playing championship weekend will give the Ducks a boost over the Vols. It all comes back to TCU. If TCU drops a game but wins the Big-12 does it jump Tennessee? I am not sure. Like I said before not really worried about Clemson. The only other team that could keep Tennessee out of it is the OSU/MI loser if it is a close game.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1590364420542435330

Good on 'em. Not sure why a student fee would be the way to pay for that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Cervantes from Soul Calibur looking good

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
https://twitter.com/AuburnFootball/status/1590415173357125634?t=6HYmbKTRZPUCTk2dMKmuOA&s=19
It's dangerous for Auburn coaches, too!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1590364420542435330

Good on 'em. Not sure why a student fee would be the way to pay for that.

Same thing happened at ETSU and the admin said gently caress it and did it anyway

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

Same thing happened at ETSU and the admin said gently caress it and did it anyway

And UNO might do that as well.

I know fundamentally the cost will be borne by the students in higher tuition, but there's just something so slimy about the administration going, "OK, each of you give me $300 right now."

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
https://twitter.com/SickosCommittee/status/1590023458716778496?t=inUPqZU5lOFqdTXs1Yybig&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

And UNO might do that as well.

I know fundamentally the cost will be borne by the students in higher tuition, but there's just something so slimy about the administration going, "OK, each of you give me $300 right now."

Some MAC schools charge a "general fee" that partially supports sports. As of 2015 at Miami the rate was $1,860 annually with $997 supporting sports.