Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why are you not voting?
This poll is closed.
I am lazy. 34 10.76%
I am dumb. 26 8.23%
I don’t have eight hours to wait in line with no water. 16 5.06%
I lust for death. 49 15.51%
I am too principled to vote for an imperfect candidate. 31 9.81%
I smell like old hamburger meat. 25 7.91%
gently caress you OP, you’re not my dad. 62 19.62%
I am not American. 73 23.10%
Total: 186 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

2nd Amendment posted:

I've been playing the long game for 22 years. How long is it?

Republicans give their people what they want. Dems don't. What Republicans want is obscene. But that's immaterial.

What YOU want is not what the suburban housewife who really wishes the Democrats respected our brave police officers, but she just couldn't vote Republican after they banned abortion wants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

feelix posted:

What YOU want is not what the suburban housewife who really wishes the Democrats respected our brave police officers, but she just couldn't vote Republican after they banned abortion wants

Cool. That theoretical construct can vote. Dems chasing that theoretical construct over people like me, who have been loyal voters, is why Dems keep losing.

Why should I vote for assholes who give me nothing?

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010

2nd Amendment posted:

If the other option is otherwise to vote for the big strong assholes that takes stuff away from you?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
There's always another option :angel:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Leper Go-getter posted:

If the other option is otherwise to vote for the big strong assholes that takes stuff away from you?

Trump sent out more free covid relief money than Biden did

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

2nd Amendment posted:

Growing up the coolest water park in the Dells was explicitly biblical. I didn't make the connection because I wasn't raised in an Abrahamic religion so while I was familiar with the myth, a myth is just a myth. Looking at how the Wisconsin Idea has evolved, well, no. Christian fascism in plain sight is just that.

The coolest water park in the Dells is now Mount Olympus. We have killed Jehovah and replaced him with the Old Gods.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Directly. Like, hands on their chest directly. That's physical, at the moment, trying to help someone. It's immediate and you have to do what you can right away. You know?

Politics doesn't work like that. It's a slow game. So many loving "leftists" think that if they don't get what they want immediately then it's over and everything is lost. Change doesn't happen immediately, unless you have a literal insurrection (which the right tried). How do you think the right got so far right? A gradual stoking of fear, doubt anger, and hatred.

This is not a loving win or lose game right away. Do your god drat duty and try to pull things farther to the left. Anyone who thinks this is so black and white is a loving moron. Your local municipal building clerk can be elected. They can handle your votes.

You vote for someone leftish, then (since you age, as time works) you vote for someone more left than them. You can see where I'm going with this. If you can't then after that lefter person is voted in, then you can vote for a farther left person.

You will never get your perfect candidate. Ever. I promise you. But you can help us move things in the right direction. I'm in this in the long haul bitches. I want the generation following me to have it better than I did. I have a nephew that I love. He needs a better world than me.

So yeah. gently caress all of you who don't care about other humans.

how are you still a mod lmao

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Extra Large Marge posted:

The coolest water park in the Dells is now Mount Olympus. We have killed Jehovah and replaced him with the Old Gods.

Maybe good things are possible

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Leper Go-getter posted:

Republicans don't take stuff away from me. If I view it through the lens of my own class interest, they materially help me way more than dems. I'm not evil so I recognize that Republicans hurt other people and that's bad. But since the dems are completely useless I don't see that as much of a reason to go out and vote for them.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

how are you still a mod lmao

same but for all the gbs mods

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

lol if you care about anything at all, ever, because caring is uncool, and mocking others who care makes you cooler.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

satanic splash-back posted:

lol if you care about anything at all, ever, because caring is uncool, and mocking others who care makes you cooler.

who are you accusing of not caring here?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Posting through a mental breakdown is not caring.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
First rear end to post

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Posting through a mental breakdown is not caring.

being upset at a lovely broken world is not a mental breakdown wtf is wrong with you people jfc

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

being upset at a lovely broken world is not a mental breakdown wtf is wrong with you people jfc

He's a traeger guy :jerkbag:

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Elephant Ambush posted:

the democrats will never move left until they've been basically forced to do so through lack of votes
When a majority of a district votes Republican over centrist Democrat, in what universe does it make sense for the next Democrat to move farther left? Politicians who don’t appeal to the voters who actually show up don’t get very far. See Bernie Sanders in 2020. Lots of talk online, hardly any actual votes in the primary. Progressives chose Joe Biden by staying home.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Elephant Ambush posted:

Lol yea totally normal posting.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Elephant Ambush posted:

Buddy the planets been hosed since humans evolved, dunno if you've ever taken a history class this aint nothing new

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Giraffe posted:

When a majority of a district votes Republican over centrist Democrat, in what universe does it make sense for the next Democrat to move farther left? Politicians who don’t appeal to the voters who actually show up don’t get very far. See Bernie Sanders in 2020. Lots of talk online, hardly any actual votes in the primary. Progressives chose Joe Biden by staying home.

Is this your genuine analysis of the 2020 primary, like it was a perfectly level playing field that came down to the will of the people voting for the candidate that matched their interests most?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mr. Crow posted:

Buddy the planets been hosed since humans evolved, dunno if you've ever taken a history class this aint nothing new

Please read posts better thanks

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Expressing basic human emotions in written form is not a meltdown and all you drama weirdos really need to stop accusing everyone of being mentally unwell when they get upset that their fellow humans are starving and dying and nobody is doing anything about it

Getting upset at that kind of stuff is very normal. It's empathy and frustration and it's hosed up to try to frame those people as having some kind of problem

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

ArbitraryC posted:

Is this your genuine analysis of the 2020 primary, like it was a perfectly level playing field that came down to the will of the people voting for the candidate that matched their interests most?

Wasn’t Bernie leading until the dems colluded to have several candidates drop out and endorse Biden at the same time right before a large primary?

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Plus buttman claiming victory and having the backing of the party apparatus to steal votes from Bernie. Nice foreshadowing of what Trump did there.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Elephant Ambush posted:

Expressing basic human emotions in written form is not a meltdown and all you drama weirdos really need to stop accusing everyone of being mentally unwell when they get upset that their fellow humans are starving and dying and nobody is doing anything about it

Getting upset at that kind of stuff is very normal. It's empathy and frustration and it's hosed up to try to frame those people as having some kind of problem

Being upset isnt the problem melting down and blaming random people on a comedy website with made up arguments is, hth

For example I voted a couple weeks ago (which is why i wasnt voting this week :grin:), so that other guy can kindly gently caress off

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Wifi Toilet posted:

Wasn’t Bernie leading until the dems colluded to have several candidates drop out and endorse Biden at the same time right before a large primary?

Is there a clear eyed narrative describing all of this? I feel like it gets dismissed as "Bernie would have won" but I'm curious what actually happened and if he really was rat hosed like some claim.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/MinnesotaDFL/status/1590256795901374465?t=d8vy3zvFS8BrmNAlYLoQSA&s=19

😎
Maybe you other states should try being less chuddy

don't blame me I didn't vote 😎

BRICKFACE
Apr 20, 2002

I BITE

2nd Amendment posted:

Cool. That theoretical construct can vote. Dems chasing that theoretical construct over people like me, who have been loyal voters, is why Dems keep losing.

i'm pretty confident being a republican is just the failure to develop theory of mind or really any abstract thought

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Wifi Toilet posted:

Ratfucking aside, because people will get in a slap fight over whether it was a ratfucking despite there being some pretty questionable occurrences, like the whole Pete sponsored voting app thing.

I was more meaning the policy thing. If you looked at polls and exit polls the issues supported and prioritized by the primary voters had no overlap with Biden’s policy platform, stuff like UHC and loan forgiveness, legal weed, and such were wildly popular within the democratic base, even republicans polled pretty neutrally on them. But the media was just running a never ending stream of interference that resulted in people voting not based on policy but on “electability”. Beating Trump was the number 1 goal and there was just a 24/7 propaganda cycle that Biden was the only one who could do it.

The idea that Biden was selected in the primary because he most closely mirrored the policy desires of the base is a willfully ignorant take if you took even two seconds to look at polling on policy during 2020. I mean hell just look at the huge bump in approval Biden got when he finally caved and proposed that 10k debt forgiveness, that’s what his voters want but it’s not what he wants.

There’s not going to be a strong left run without a major shakeup because there’s too much institutional oppression, not because the policies are unpopular with the people.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
There is no way in hell the DNC would have allowed Bernie, or any actual leftist, to be the candidate. He would have actively tried to make real change and no one with money funding our govt really wants that.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Nuts and Gum posted:

There is no way in hell the DNC would have allowed Bernie, or any actual leftist, to be the candidate. He would have actively tried to make real change and no one with money funding our govt really wants that.

Can you elaborate? Like what would the DNC do if Bernie won enough primaries to be the Democratic candidate? Or are you saying there would be back room shenanigans to prevent him from winning enough primaries?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

A Strange Aeon posted:

Can you elaborate? Like what would the DNC do if Bernie won enough primaries to be the Democratic candidate? Or are you saying there would be back room shenanigans to prevent him from winning enough primaries?

My guess is they would never allow him to be in enough debates for it to get that far. I’m basing this on the history of DNC candidates, maybe someday someone like him can eventually break through, like how the internet fueled Ron Paul outside of any major party support. But, I think Paul was running on the independent ticket so the RNC didn’t have to worry about it enough to sabotage him.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

sanders won the first three primaries in 2020, and is the first democratic candidate in history since the primary system was implemented to do that and not take the nomination. it's not a question of "would," we're living in the timeline where this happened. it's documented that, for example, before the primaries, obama was prepared to "speak up to stop sanders" and democratic superdelegates were not shy about the prospect. after those first three primaries, buttigieg and klobuchar dropped out - obama's phone call to buttigieg exhorting him to use his leverage to maximum effect is also documented - even though the buttigieg campaign still falsely maintained it won iowa and the winner of the crucial first primary dropping out was unheard of. in contrast, warren, despite being a no-hoper, remained in the campaign until after super tuesday. this was matched with jim clyburn's push to make south carolina's primary somehow crucial even though it doesn't vote democratic in the general, and a media apparatus made up of people like chris matthews who were terrified that a sanders win meant they were gonna get guillotined in central park. (if only, eh?) in this way, "back room shenanigans" coalesced to construct a comeback narrative and manufacture consent for biden on super tuesday among the democratic primary electorate.

of course, doing this is not illegal or somehow "against the rules" (fitting with the DNC's legal claim that it has no obligation to run a fair primary). and moreover, sanders certainly chose to acquiesce, for better or for worse. but to claim that there was no appetite among democratic primary voters for sanders' policies (let alone among the general electorate), or that the 2020 democratic primary was organic, is ahistorical and frankly absurd.

in other news, the democrats did much better yesterday than pretty much anyone was expecting. many of their stars, like stacey abrams, beto o'rourke, and val demings, ate poo poo, cortez masto looks to be in trouble, and warnock is going to a runoff last I checked, but many other ominous-looking races did not pan out that way. I hope to be proved wrong about all the actual action they're gonna take with these results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

Trump sent out more free covid relief money than Biden did

Student loans