Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why are you not voting?
This poll is closed.
I am lazy. 34 10.76%
I am dumb. 26 8.23%
I don’t have eight hours to wait in line with no water. 16 5.06%
I lust for death. 49 15.51%
I am too principled to vote for an imperfect candidate. 31 9.81%
I smell like old hamburger meat. 25 7.91%
gently caress you OP, you’re not my dad. 62 19.62%
I am not American. 73 23.10%
Total: 186 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

A Strange Aeon posted:

People wouldn't spend millions of dollars on campaigns trying to get you to vote for them if they didn't think it was worth the return on investment. So there's that at least. Not voting seems kinda dumb, if you're in a position where it's just a small inconvenience.
Well of course it’s worth it, for them and their buddies. The people spending the money want a good ROI, you and me aren’t contributing huge sums of money tho so the returns ain’t coming to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

StrangersInTheNight posted:

it literally took me 5 minutes to vote today and then I got mcd's. and I'm in GA, so I'm helping prevent Herschel Walker from getting into the Senate.

it's some real poo poo to say 'nothing changed' the last two years, really shows who is insulated by the status quo. oh yes it did, you lucky comfortable bastard. a LOT changed, and not for the better.

but yeah I get it, you're on your couch eatin' chips, who wants to dust the crumbs off and put on pants, when you could watch Spongebob and get high instead?
I feel like it’s the people insulated by the status quo that can afford to keep voting for establishment dems as the “lesser of two evils”. For a lot of people the lesser evil is already unbearably evil, lack of food shelter and healthcare will straight up kill you in America and it’s getting more common by the year.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Giraffe posted:

When a majority of a district votes Republican over centrist Democrat, in what universe does it make sense for the next Democrat to move farther left? Politicians who don’t appeal to the voters who actually show up don’t get very far. See Bernie Sanders in 2020. Lots of talk online, hardly any actual votes in the primary. Progressives chose Joe Biden by staying home.

Is this your genuine analysis of the 2020 primary, like it was a perfectly level playing field that came down to the will of the people voting for the candidate that matched their interests most?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Wifi Toilet posted:

Wasn’t Bernie leading until the dems colluded to have several candidates drop out and endorse Biden at the same time right before a large primary?
Ratfucking aside, because people will get in a slap fight over whether it was a ratfucking despite there being some pretty questionable occurrences, like the whole Pete sponsored voting app thing.

I was more meaning the policy thing. If you looked at polls and exit polls the issues supported and prioritized by the primary voters had no overlap with Biden’s policy platform, stuff like UHC and loan forgiveness, legal weed, and such were wildly popular within the democratic base, even republicans polled pretty neutrally on them. But the media was just running a never ending stream of interference that resulted in people voting not based on policy but on “electability”. Beating Trump was the number 1 goal and there was just a 24/7 propaganda cycle that Biden was the only one who could do it.

The idea that Biden was selected in the primary because he most closely mirrored the policy desires of the base is a willfully ignorant take if you took even two seconds to look at polling on policy during 2020. I mean hell just look at the huge bump in approval Biden got when he finally caved and proposed that 10k debt forgiveness, that’s what his voters want but it’s not what he wants.

There’s not going to be a strong left run without a major shakeup because there’s too much institutional oppression, not because the policies are unpopular with the people.