Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Congratulations to Los Angeles FC, this year's winner of MLS Cup and Supporters Shield. Despite their accomplishments, I would still put the '17 Reds ahead of them as the best club in Major League Soccer history. 3 trophies > 2 trophies, that's just math. They qualify for the Champions League, along with Austin FC, Philadelphia Union, Vancouver Whitecaps FC, and *rl*nd* C*ty SC. Now, we've got a World Cup to focus on in a national only MARGINALLY more popular than the 2018 host as the front office people figure out how if they're getting a 4th DP slot or not. With $2.5 billion guaranteed from Apple over the next ten years, we'll see how the league improves both on the field and off very soon - the 2023 season kicks off 16 weeks from now!

Offseason schedule

November 7-9 - Trade window is open (noon to noon ET), Concacaf Champions League draw

November 11 - Expansion draft for St. Louis City SC

November 14 - Club deadlines for bona fide offers and to exercise options

November 16 - Free agency begins

November 17 - Re-Entry Process, Stage 1, End-of-Year Waivers

November 22 - Re-Entry Process, Stage 2

(The FIFA World Cup happens here)

December 21 - SuperDraft

February 25 - MLS season probably begins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Today I learned you can win the MLS Cup on penalty shootout?

Why? That's bonkers to me.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

i hate everything

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

i hate everything

Like I said in the other thread, worst timeline.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Why? That's bonkers to me.

How would you prefer they settle a draw after extra time?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

theres gonna be some interesting transfers in and out this offseason.

paxten aaronson is alreay off to germany and cade cowell might join him soon

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Nostradingus posted:

How would you prefer they settle a draw after extra time?

I know they're completely different sports with completely different substitution rules, but doing it the same way as hockey does it with golden goal and endless OT is just so fun.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Which team is Ronaldo going to?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

High Desert State Prison, hopefully

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Shinjobi posted:

It's....happened five times before including just last year? Is this some obscure joke about Dallas in the playoffs?

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

G-Hawk posted:

theres gonna be some interesting transfers in and out this offseason.

paxten aaronson is alreay off to germany and cade cowell might join him soon

more importantly for philly kai wagner is probably going back to europe and good luck replacing him in any real capacity

montreal are losing djordje mihailovic to az alkmar too

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

it'll be interesting to see if any serious bids come in for torres or almada in january, arsenal is supposedly interested in torres. With how tough the transfer market often is in Europe in January i'd think both could get some interest.

on the other hand, MLS should continue raiding south american leagues I think. Argentina's economy (among other places) being a shitshow and the US dollar strength should help MLS pull in some talent and is probably an underrated reason the league could make some big gains. And then I guess there will be the post Qatar watch for anyone who wants to leave Europe.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dallan Invictus posted:

It's....happened five times before including just last year? Is this some obscure joke about Dallas in the playoffs?

No, unless the joke is that I'm not watching the cup game unless Dallas is in it, and....:sigh:

I dunno, penalty kicks for the big prize just seems bad.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

its not ideal but thats how soccer is decided after 120 (or...130) minutes, its not a sport built to go endlessly and if you want to avoid the coin flip of penalties you should win before them

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

No, unless the joke is that I'm not watching the cup game unless Dallas is in it, and....:sigh:

I dunno, penalty kicks for the big prize just seems bad.

It's how literally every cup/tourney soccer event handles it :confused:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont know of a better alternative. Just sucks major rear end when your champion stands tall after a series of coin flip kicks against a goalie hoping he's collected enough 4 leaf clovers and rabbits feet this season.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

trem_two posted:

It's how literally every cup/tourney soccer event handles it :confused:

I've seen a world cup decided this way even

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9xVzahAnXc

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Perfect, no notes

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
e: the draw for the CCL was here, but now it's not

The chat is mostly in Spanish, with a notable exception of a Whitecaps fan.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 8, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Can't wait to see which LigaMX team wins it again this time...

...yes I know my team won it this year, I think we need a 2nd before that joke stops being relevant.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 8, 2022

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
My supporters group was excited to go to a foreign nation for our CCL date, so naturally we drew the Haitian club and everyone backed out of an away trip.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

I've seen a world cup decided this way even

Brandi Chastain carrying on as if she'd won something

Zidane wouldn't even stay on the field for his PK shootout, man was a purist

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Ben Olsen is officially Houston's new head coach.

Can't wait to see them win only 3 games in MLS but somehow win the Open Cup in 2025.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
MLS Cup ratings are in, and they are big. As in, biggest since 1997.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

You're not kidding: https://boardroom.tv/2022-mls-cup-final-tv-ratings/

quote:

It was the No. 2 most-viewed club soccer match of 2022 on US television in English behind the UEFA Champions League final on May 28.

The match drew 2.155 million viewers in the US alone on Fox and Univision.

I know the World Cup is going to eclipse that, but :eyepop:

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world
How much of this was people calling their friends and saying "You gotta see this, this game is ducks on crack"

EDIT - wanted to double check. Did it matter that this was on over-the-air Fox as opposed to ESPN or FS1? Or am I showing my age?

Jai Guru Dave fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 8, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Outside of 2009 - 2017, MLS Cup has been on an OTA network.

So it's probably a combination "INJECT MORE OF THIS GAME INTO MY VEINS" and "No Portland or Seattle? I'm in" (everyone wished this would happen, the monkey paw curled another finger and LAFC got a Cup so gently caress all y'all).

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Shinjobi posted:

I dont know of a better alternative. Just sucks major rear end when your champion stands tall after a series of coin flip kicks against a goalie hoping he's collected enough 4 leaf clovers and rabbits feet this season.

thanks for the hot take new guy

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

i didn't even realize the mls cup happened until the next day, guess is should watch the highlights now

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Poonior Toilett posted:

thanks for the hot take new guy

Thanks for the condescension whoever you are

It can be the way the sport's been forever and still be a weird way to decide things.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Shin's been in these threads doomposting about Dallas for years, that's why I was so confused

anyway I'm still an NASL shootout truther, no ties in the regular season was dumb BUT hockey overtime is fun but unworkable BUT PK shootouts are basically a coin flip and feel weird to decide titles on, at least there was more skill involved in the breakaway shootouts

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Dallan Invictus posted:

anyway I'm still an NASL shootout truther, no ties in the regular season was dumb BUT hockey overtime is fun but unworkable BUT PK shootouts are basically a coin flip and feel weird to decide titles on, at least there was more skill involved in the breakaway shootouts

gently caress yeah, NASL shootouts kicked rear end

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dallan Invictus posted:

Shin's been in these threads doomposting about Dallas for years, that's why I was so confused

It's like I said: I don't have a better answer, since soccer is such a different sport than the other one I follow with shootouts in hockey. I guess I just assumed some other solution had been found over the years for the biggest game in whichever league you follow. Sucks majorly to be a goalkeeper if penalties keep you from the gold.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Full list of players available in the Expansion Draft

Draft is tomorrow at 7PM EST.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The picks:

Nicholas Gioacchini (F) - ORL
Indiana Vassilev (MF) - MIA
Jonathan Bell (D) - NER
John Nelson (D) - CIN
Jake La Cava (F) - NYR - Traded to Miami for GAM

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I forgot about Indiana Vassilev, that's a good name

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

STL also traded for Tim Parker apparently, which is weird because Houston left him unprotected so they could have just taken him with that pick they traded for Garberbucks? I suppose the figures in play meant they came out ahead.

edit: oh okay, this way they could get Houston to eat some of his cap hit, lol

https://twitter.com/MattDoyle76/status/1591246740539473922

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 12, 2022

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I thought Parker had a rough year, and just wasn't the same since he left NY?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Guess Zardez was too rich for their blood, I'm ok with keeping him another year.