Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Could it be?!?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n38DOG4NikY&t=1563s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I'll believe it when I see it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

I'll believe it when I see it.
From what I've read (FrontRowSoccer) there is land in Willett's Point owned Queensboro FC, which has decided to not field a professional team or build a small SSS and is now in negotiations to sell the land to NYCFC.

So, it's something

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 16, 2022

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Beggars can't be choosers, and the Pigeons are pretty much beggars in New York real estate.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
NY times has an article saying a deal has been struck:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/15/nyregion/soccer-stadium-nycfc-willets.html?smid=url-share

quote:

The 25,000-seat stadium for the New York City Football Club is slated to rise on city land by 2027 in the Willets Point neighborhood of Queens, across the street from the right field foul pole of Citi Field, the home of the New York Mets, Mayor Eric Adams and the soccer team’s officials confirmed on Tuesday.

The stadium would be the first significant major-league sports venue to be built in the city since 2012, and is set to be the focal point of a 23-acre project that includes a 250-room hotel and 2,500 units of housing. Officials say the project would be the city’s largest development of entirely affordable housing since the Mitchell-Lama developments of the 1970s.

quote:

The soccer team will pay for the entire construction of the stadium, which is estimated to cost $780 million, city officials said. Neither tax-exempt bond financing nor direct city capital infusions will be used, according to Andrew Kimball, the president of the New York City Economic Development Corporation. The developers are not getting abatements on mortgage recording or sales taxes, he said. But the stadium owners will not have to pay real estate taxes for the duration of the lease.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 16, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Can't wait to see the city somehow foot half the bill of this completely privately-financed stadium.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I think more MLS teams should have lovely converted pitches with like pitchers mounds and poo poo still there.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

karmicknight posted:

I think more MLS teams should have lovely converted pitches with like pitchers mounds and poo poo still there.

We can’t live in the ‘10s forever, I’m afraid.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
at least ESPN+ still broadcasts USL Championship and League 1.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/2022-mls-free-agency-eligible-player-list

free agent list. step right up and get your washed up usmnt player frrm around 2012. Or aaron long.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

:pray: Please don't sign Brek Shea, please don't sign Brek Shea, please don't sign Brek Shea :pray:

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1592933981720547328?s=19

Real st louis

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
US soccer stop pathetically biting European naming conventions challenge

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
the people who made fun of the XTREEEM 90s names for not being soccer enough Knew Not What They Wrought

in other news, pricing for MLS LIVE Now With Fruit App was announced:

https://twitter.com/jeffrueter/status/1592925855059447809

I'll admit I thought it would be a little less than that (though OG MLS Live was $79 for a season back in 2017). I might still get it but since I actually subscribe to TSN already and plan to continue to, I'd have to see how many/which games they end up with a simulcast deal for?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

fast cars loose anus posted:

It's depressing isn't it? The last one that didn't follow those conventions were either the Impact or the Union ("first became a club" vs. "joined MLS"). Since then:

NYCFC
Orlando City
Atlanta United and Minnesota United (not sure which one pisses me off more: Minnesota for scrapping the Loons name they had or Atlanta for knowing Minnesota was joining and that DC United already existed and still picking "United")
LAFC
FC Cincy
Inter Miami (can Milan hurry up and win their lawsuit to force them to change their name?)
Nashville SC
Austin FC
Charlotte FC
St. Louis City SC

11 goddamn teams out of 29. Add on to that FC Dallas and SKC (granted, their old names were pretty bad), RSL and Toronto and that's over half the league with poo poo-rear end boring names.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 16, 2022

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I find Real Salt Lake and Inter Miami particularly offensive; Miami because you're using some very real history as a costume and RSL because we don't have loving kings in America, but yes it's all quite bad, imo

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i dont have a problem with the FCs and such but real salt lake is ridiculous. Inter miami is also kind of silly but whatever.

i'm fine with the apple+ price, i'm skeptical of the idea that there are a substantial amount of people who would be more likely to sign up if it were 20 bucks less or whatever. Also some of the games will be accessible without the package

quote:

A selection of MLS and Leagues Cup matches, including some of the biggest playoff matchups, will also be available at no additional cost to Apple TV+ subscribers, with a limited number of matches available for free on the Apple TV app.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have season tickets, so I'm getting it all for free. That's good at least.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

The Untied States just loving loves Franco too much.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I find Real Salt Lake and Inter Miami particularly offensive; Miami because you're using some very real history as a costume and RSL because we don't have loving kings in America, but yes it's all quite bad, imo

Those two are definitely the worst because they are obviously aping very specific very well-known clubs, whereas Sporting/City/FC/SC are just incredibly generic.

At least RSL had the decency to ask Madrid first.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

G-Hawk posted:

i dont have a problem with the FCs and such but real salt lake is ridiculous. Inter miami is also kind of silly but whatever.

i'm fine with the apple+ price, i'm skeptical of the idea that there are a substantial amount of people who would be more likely to sign up if it were 20 bucks less or whatever. Also some of the games will be accessible without the package

I’m kind of bummed that I previously had to pay nothing to watch all Red Bulls game and will now have to pay the $100.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I mean, technically, MSG Network costs money vis-a-vis cable or satellite?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

yeah, by contrast i was previously unable to watch games involving my local team because of regional blackouts on espn+. I get some people prefer local broadcasts on regional networks but getting rid of the blackouts and janky local commentators is a big plus to me and i strongly prefer the all in one place streaming setup.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
janky broadcasts and lovely local commentary are the only reason to even care about united states association football.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Edward Mass posted:

I mean, technically, MSG Network costs money vis-a-vis cable or satellite?

True, but I am not suddenly cutting the cord because NYRB went behind Apple TV+ so its just a net $ add for me and yet another subscription service I have to pick up.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So it turns out that Queensboro FC isn't going defunct, but instead turned heel and as part of the land deal with NYCFC they're defecting from the USL Championship to MLS Next Pro before they've ever played a professional game.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The SC is for Soccer Cardinals.

Edit: Agree they should've used a traditional local name like Father Dempsey's Shamrocks.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 17, 2022

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Thiago Almada got called into the Argentinian squad as an injury replacement, cool and good for him. 2 Argentinian players based outside of Europe and one of them plays in MLS (the other is a 36 year old keeper)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Sonofa

https://twitter.com/sounderatheart/status/1595136686593384449

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Two notable names got moved in the Re-Entry Draft: Bobby Wood to New England, and Victor Vazquez back to Toronto.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i appreciate bruce arena's commitment to signing washed former usmnt players

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
The New England Men's National Revolution Team

i'm not allowed to say mean things about bruce anymore because i called him fat bruce before the conference final a couple years ago and then the revs lost so i'm no longer sending bad juju in fear of karmic retribution

barnold fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 22, 2022

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Sounders are going to grab Berhalter after the World Cup aren't they?

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1596142235548098560?s=46&t=LYssjcPvNsfSYWrTOfs8dA

MLS watchers, is he any good

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

You can see for yourself, he's on Canada's WC squad. Went the full 90 in their opener.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

whypick1 posted:

You can see for yourself, he's on Canada's WC squad. Went the full 90 in their opener.

you might also look at croatia's equalizer

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Doctor Teeth posted:

you might also look at croatia's equalizer

And maybe their go-ahead as well

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Lionel Messi and Inter Miami are nearing a deal to make him the highest-paid player in MLS history, per @TimesSport

Lol

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

lionel messi managed by phil neville

lol. lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

NYC is going to court Ronaldo in response, aren't they?

If this leads to him going to prison though...