Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Martin McDonagh’s new black comedy starring Brendan Gleeson, Colin Farrell, Kerry Condon, and Barry Keoghan.

Set on a fictional island off the west coast of Ireland in 1923, long time drinking pals Colm and Padraic are no more, with Colm calling time on their friendship, to Padraic’s utter confusion as to why. A breakup for the ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRu3zLOJN2c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Saw this the other week, good film.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Since this is a movie about men feeling emotions, I'm assuming one of them shouldn't be recieving the sacrament (aside from maybe the anointing of the sick)?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I don’t know what that means, but there’s 2 scenes in a church confessional, which get right to the heart of what’s going on, and breeze right past it.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Can’t stop thinking about this fantastic film

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Good film, good dog, good miniature donkey.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Amazing film. I love the way the tone changes after the donkey dies. Farrell does fantastic work with his eyes in the last half hour.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Just saw this film. Incredible work. McDonagh knows how to write excellent black humour. Me and my friend were the only ones in the theatre and I kept going “That Donkey is the star of the movie.”

I was crushed and cheered Padraic on

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
This is by far my favorite Colin Farrell performance. I’ve liked other movies he’s been in but it was always kind of in spite of him because I usually can’t help but find him a little annoying. Definitely not true here though, I thought he was perfect in this role.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I noticed it’s on Disney+ right now.. I hope more people check it out. It’s one of my favourite movies of the year

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I'm starting to think that Martin McDonagh isn't very fond of religion.

To me, the movie trades on two connected things. The first is the very obvious connection between the row and the Irish civil war. The second is from Colm speaking to Siobhan where he says that he stopped being friends with Padraig because he found his talk boring. Siobhan responds that everyone's boring and it's a tiny island where nobody has anything that really makes them different. You put these two things together and you get the idea that the Irish civil war is very much a pointless war over nothing. It started from nothing and then turned into a series of stubborn escalations until people came to believe that continued fighting was good.

And then there's Mrs McCormick the banshee being presented visually similarly to the Mary statue at the church. I guess this presents Mary/the church as a kind of portent of death. And such that the civil war is between two sides divided by religion, well, I'm starting to think that Martin McDonagh isn't very fond of religion.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I saw this on HBOMax and it was really loving good and funny but also really kind of depressing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Really liked this, the script is fantastic and the setting makes a beautiful backdrop for the absurd tragedy of it all.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Hand Knit posted:

I'm starting to think that Martin McDonagh isn't very fond of religion.

To me, the movie trades on two connected things. The first is the very obvious connection between the row and the Irish civil war. The second is from Colm speaking to Siobhan where he says that he stopped being friends with Padraig because he found his talk boring. Siobhan responds that everyone's boring and it's a tiny island where nobody has anything that really makes them different. You put these two things together and you get the idea that the Irish civil war is very much a pointless war over nothing. It started from nothing and then turned into a series of stubborn escalations until people came to believe that continued fighting was good.

And then there's Mrs McCormick the banshee being presented visually similarly to the Mary statue at the church. I guess this presents Mary/the church as a kind of portent of death. And such that the civil war is between two sides divided by religion, well, I'm starting to think that Martin McDonagh isn't very fond of religion.

And then there's the fact that Inisherin literally means "the island of Ireland" in Gaelic.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
This movie was a real downer. Colin Farrell breaking down in the carriage as Colm drove him to the fork in the road was heartbreaking. Sister weeping because she was told no one likes her was heartbreaking. Dominic killing himself was heartbreaking. Donkey dying was heartbreaking.

Hand Knit posted:

You put these two things together and you get the idea that the Irish civil war is very much a pointless war over nothing. It started from nothing and then turned into a series of stubborn escalations until people came to believe that continued fighting was good.

Underlined by Colin Farrel's line, "some things there's no moving on from, and I think that's a good thing"

The more I think about this movie the more down I feel. Gorgeous film, though

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Did Dominic kill himself? I did wonder if it was a bit of filicide that would never get investigated.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Did Dominic kill himself? I did wonder if it was a bit of filicide that would never get investigated.

I think within the story what matter is he died because he was all alone and nobody cared about him. What fits best with that is either suicide or that he died of accident because he was all alone or maybe he just kind of died of loneliness itself. I don't think his father killed him, however this makes me think of something more with this movie.

So Padraig is always letting animals in the house, right? Someone pointed out to me that this shows how people have a lot of warmth and affection, but they don't direct it towards other people. The cop—and the movie makes sure we notice that this character is very definitely a cop—tortures and abuses the person closest to him. It's like the furthest evil we're shown in the movie. Makes me wonder if it's a point then that it's the cop that Colm starts hanging out with when he's at his lowest, the cop we only see happy when he's talking about getting to take part in an execution. The cop saying he doesn't much care who gets killed, it's all a good time for him and he gets paid.

Starting to think Martin McDonagh's not fond of cops.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Starting to think Martin McDonagh's not fond of cops.

I dunno if it was conscious on his part but I did wonder if the portrayal of a cop in this movie was a bit of atonement for his sympathetic portrayal of a racist, torturing cop in Three Billboards.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dunno if it was conscious on his part but I did wonder if the portrayal of a cop in this movie was a bit of atonement for his sympathetic portrayal of a racist, torturing cop in Three Billboards.

Perhaps though I never felt that Rockwell's character was supposed to be sympathetic, with the ultimate point less that he was good and more that people accepted him when they shouldn't.

Though now that you bring him up, there's a repeated motif there with his character (or was it his mother? Pretty sure it was him) having that turtle he took care of.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

The_Doctor posted:

I guess that's how I took it...he had just become disillusioned with Padraic ("That's the meanest thing I've ever heard"), and when he got rejected by Siobhan at the lake he took it hard and said "I guess I'll go do that thing I was gonna do over there..."

His dad seemed upset as well.

I did find it a little surprising that son beating was treated as taboo by Padriac...given the time and place I figured it would've been brushed off. The general store lady wasn't too shocked by it, but the cop took offense when he was called out for it

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I guess that's how I took it...he had just become disillusioned with Padraic ("That's the meanest thing I've ever heard"), and when he got rejected by Siobhan at the lake he took it hard and said "I guess I'll go do that thing I was gonna do over there..."

His dad seemed upset as well.

I did find it a little surprising that son beating was treated as taboo by Padriac...given the time and place I figured it would've been brushed off. The general store lady wasn't too shocked by it, but the cop took offense when he was called out for it

The cop sensed a challenge to him and reacted as cops do

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Really dying to see this. I'll either go when I'm back in Ireland or wait until it hits Germany next year if I can find some friends to go with.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I suspect it’ll be in Irish cinemas for the next year.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

He took offence at being called out for fiddling him, more than the beatings, no?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Jesus Christ this movie made me sad. I kept expecting a twist and there never was one.

I think I really liked it but drat.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Really good film, one of the best of the year for me. Surprised me a bit, cause I am not usually a big fan of McDonagh's films, despite the praise they usually get.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
absolutely feckin' brilliant movie and all

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

I want a good donkey as well :(

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Cognac McCarthy posted:

And then there's the fact that Inisherin literally means "the island of Ireland" in Gaelic.

Inisheerin is the anglicised name for the island. The Irish is Inis Oírr, I think it means eastern island.

I think its an Irish civil war film, the fight between Colm and Pádraic is pointless, stubborn and escalates to the point where things are done that can't be taken back. Which is as good an analogy for the war as you'll get. To put this in context, the rift after the civil war ran deep enough that in the rural area of Ireland I'm originally from I can give you a rundown of which side some families supported a hundred years later.
There's no animosity there anymore but you grew up somehow with an awareness of which side people were on.
At the end Pádraic says "Some things there's no moving on from, and I think that's a good thing" soon after Colm says "thanks for looking after my dog anyway" and Pádraic replies "any time"
In other words we were friends, then enemies. We won't forget who did what but we'll move on somehow and get on with things because we have to, we're stuck on this island together

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I love the ending so much. Like almost cried it was so good

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I watched this last night and it’s very good. I’m not a huge McDonagh fan and this really blew me away!

I think that while the allegory might by very personal to Ireland, I think that it definitely works as a broader metaphor.

I think like Three Billboards, I do love that McDonagh really has compassion for his supporting cast. Dominic and Siobhan were really interesting characters for me.

A reminder this is streaming and people should jump on it!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
There's always a deep warmth and humanism at the bottom of the brothers' films, they'd be pretty standard snarky dark comedies otherwise

DrThief
Jan 6, 2001

I really like McDonagh's films, and I think this is his best one yet. It is essentially an allegory for the Irish Civil War yet (he says like he's english) so much more at the same time.
I love the way it uses comedic bits to deliver tragedy. The way Colm throws his fingers at Padraic and Siobhan's house is funny, absurd, sad and tragic at the same time.

Keep in mind this is an exceptionally sad film. No happy ending, no catharsis, no redemption for anyone. Not something to see to cheer you over the holidays! But do see it!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched it yesterday, great movie. I didn't know much about what was going on w.r.t. the Civil War in the 20s but the movie made it the analogy pretty clear.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm glad I watched this film but it was an odd one and also very strange. The plot was nonsensical and nothing really meant anything. But seeing Gleeson and Farrell on the big screen together again made it a no brainer to watch. I typically really love McDonagh's movies but this one didn't land for whatever reason.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I love the buffoonery when Gleeson's character said Mozart's century wrong. He's more angry at his own inadequacies than anything

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Yeah, honestly I felt like Gleeson gave the character too much gravitas - he's as much of a dull simpleton as Podrick.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Gleeson's character struck me as a somewhat intelligent man who has failed to focus his mental or creative energies and instead decided to superficially demonstrate his intellect later in life by developing 'sophisticated' tastes and only speaking to the right sort.

More of a pretentious, frustrated arsehole than a simpleton.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The point of the Mozart line isn't that Colm is actually dumb although it does bring him down a peg. The point is that Siobhan is going through the exact same poo poo and isn't a lunatic about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

The point of the Mozart line isn't that Colm is actually dumb although it does bring him down a peg. The point is that Siobhan is going through the exact same poo poo and isn't a lunatic about it.

I think it also shows that he's reaching for this historical importance of music as a way to justify how he is acting, rather than it being a genuinely motivating value. It's this story to justify his cutting off Padraig, which is immediately put in the service of his self-destructive action of cutting off his fingers. And I think the movie shows us that his music was always valuable as a way to bring people together but all that's lost in the name of historical greatness and stupid grudges. That's important to this movie: they really did have everything they needed for a warm and loving community and they threw it all away.