Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
colm wonders aloud to siobhan if his feud is just a way of keeping himself entertained in a life he's found murderously dull. he's spiraling and he knows it but he's also too provincial to just follow siobhan's example and leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
“How’s the despair?”

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The_Doctor posted:

“How’s the despair?”

Yeah, and it's easy to see how music being eternal is an attractive idea to someone anxious about dying.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
He's not even that good!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

precision posted:

He's not even that good!

He’s the best on Inisherin

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

This was McDonagh's best work by far.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Absolutely loved it.

Weirdly, I didn’t see the Irish Civil War parallels as hugely relevant up until the final scenes of escalation; for me this was primarily a movie about the role of the artist in the death of community.

The island is portrayed as a space where community is dying, if not dead; there’s a performance of cordiality, but nobody is willing to lift a finger to intervene in anybody else’s business and everyone politely ignores horrors right in front of their eyes (whether it’s an abusive father or a bleeding stump hand.

While his motivations are sympathetic, Colm is part of the problem. He demonstrates the absurdity and selfishness of the artist who wants to continue living within society but control how it’s allowed to engage with him - he wants to perform, he wants to teach, he expects to take up space and play within the pub…but he believes his time is being wasted and his creativity sapped by spending time with Padraic, a man who he refuses to see as his equal and his friend because that might make him, Colm, a dullard and a time-waster as well.

Colm’s home is filled with empty masks because that’s how he prefers his community to exist - a silent, hollow audience, and appropriately those empty masks are presumably his only audience for the finished performance of Banshees. All three main characters come with their own complementary shadow, and Colm’s shadow is Dominic’s father - a limited man who can now only interact with his community by coercing it, threatening it, or performing mean-spirited stories before it.

Padraic has the solution to this problem, even if he can’t articulate it; he is the saintly fool of community obligation who’ll come to pick his friend up every day at 2 rather than just meeting him at the pub, clean off a severed finger that’s been thrown at him before setting out to return it to its rightful owner, or reflexively reply ‘Anytime’ about the prospect of looking after his sworn enemy’s dog. He also isn’t smart enough to point out to Colm that Jesus is the obvious example of someone who’s been remembered for centuries for being nice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i thought it was also possibly supposed to parallel the Irish/English troubles, Colm acts very Catholic High Church and Padraig is extremely low Protestant

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

grobbo posted:

Absolutely loved it.

Weirdly, I didn’t see the Irish Civil War parallels as hugely relevant up until the final scenes of escalation; for me this was primarily a movie about the role of the artist in the death of community.

The island is portrayed as a space where community is dying, if not dead; there’s a performance of cordiality, but nobody is willing to lift a finger to intervene in anybody else’s business and everyone politely ignores horrors right in front of their eyes (whether it’s an abusive father or a bleeding stump hand.

While his motivations are sympathetic, Colm is part of the problem. He demonstrates the absurdity and selfishness of the artist who wants to continue living within society but control how it’s allowed to engage with him - he wants to perform, he wants to teach, he expects to take up space and play within the pub…but he believes his time is being wasted and his creativity sapped by spending time with Padraic, a man who he refuses to see as his equal and his friend because that might make him, Colm, a dullard and a time-waster as well.

Colm’s home is filled with empty masks because that’s how he prefers his community to exist - a silent, hollow audience, and appropriately those empty masks are presumably his only audience for the finished performance of Banshees. All three main characters come with their own complementary shadow, and Colm’s shadow is Dominic’s father - a limited man who can now only interact with his community by coercing it, threatening it, or performing mean-spirited stories before it.

Padraic has the solution to this problem, even if he can’t articulate it; he is the saintly fool of community obligation who’ll come to pick his friend up every day at 2 rather than just meeting him at the pub, clean off a severed finger that’s been thrown at him before setting out to return it to its rightful owner, or reflexively reply ‘Anytime’ about the prospect of looking after his sworn enemy’s dog. He also isn’t smart enough to point out to Colm that Jesus is the obvious example of someone who’s been remembered for centuries for being nice.

I think it's about the civil war, but I like this slant too. Ignoring horrors in front of you up until very recently and maybe still now is as intrinsically Irish as pints of Guinness and and bad weather.
There's also a particular piousness or selfishness that can be seen in the trad music scene sometimes. I was having a few pints last night in a pub where there was a music session going. All instrumental stuff which is grand, you can chat away as the music is loud enough to be heard over the background noise of conversation. At the end of the night though someone stood up and sang the Galtee mountain boy. The whole pub, 30 or 40 people had to shush and wait in reverent silence for him to finish whether you wanted to or not. I don't mind it as long as its done sparingly, but gently caress me if you talk too loud you'll be stared out of it till you shut up. There's sometimes, like Colm a feeling that respect is due whether it's earned or not.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Want to see a good movie. Don't want to be sad. Really torn on whether to watch this one

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s kinda sad, but also funny?

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

The bread truck scene is one of the funniest things i’ve seen in a movie in a while. Its definitely got a good sense humor but yeah its pretty sad!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Want to see a good movie. Don't want to be sad. Really torn on whether to watch this one
I really wasn't sad by the end of it, but my wife never wants to see it again. Just roll the dice and watch it.

I would say Three Billboards is more sad.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 24 days!)

I think it's a film that's more conceptually sad when you think about how stuck in a rut all of the characters are rather than something aiming for melodrama. The sister is the only one who decides she's had enough and gets off the island probably for good, so even then it's not entirely hopeless because the majority of why the characters are so miserable is presented as entirely their own choice.

It's too affected and comedic to really depress, unless you have personal experience with the drudgery of this kind of parochial living, then it will probably remind you of your own life enough to depress you.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's sad but it's not quite as bleak when it's all self inflicted. The characters could stop their self destruction at any moment, they just choose not to.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
This was a really pretty film. I loved all the beach and green scenery. But I didn’t connect to this one as much as others it seems. I guess it was like a more cynical coens bro film for me.

But there’s some funny scenes. The bread Van, the dog dancing, all the priest interaction, and many of Farrels dialogue. Definitely had some laughs. Also poor Dominic, the one guy to tell the truth.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I was ghosted by my best friend a few years back in much the same way as this movie, with him just one day making it clear he no longer wished to associate with me (but not until directly confronted) and as the weeks and months went on he started recreating our friendship groups and social gatherings without me.

It was completely loving devastating, put me on medication and led me to therapy that continues to this day.

More than anything else, it was hella cathartic to have such a situation - it used to drive me crazy that it just isn't given the same kind of consideration as, say, the ending of a romantic relationship - put on screen in a prestige movie and taken completely seriously. One of my favourite things about the story is that there's no hints of anything between the two men further than a strong, close and intense platonic friendship.

Pádraic is kind of a dope but neither the movie nor the characters treat him with any kind of mockery or derision, and Colin Farrell, possibly the most expressive actor on the planet, sells the gently caress out of the confusion, paranoia and devastation that such a situation can bring. Brandon Gleeson is entirely convincing as an intelligent but not as intelligent as he thinks and thoroughly frustrated creative just looking for a destructive outlet for his feelings. There aren't two actors around better suited for these characters.

God bless this movie, just loved it to death and can't wait to watch it again.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Did anybody else watch this with subtitles? I needed them for the first 15-20 min to understand the accents and then I was fine.

Hand Knit posted:

I'm starting to think that Martin McDonagh isn't very fond of religion.

[/spoiler] You put these two things together and you get the idea that the Irish civil war is very much a pointless war over nothing. It started from nothing and then turned into a series of stubborn escalations until people came to believe that continued fighting was good.
I thought the movie was explicitly saying this when Colin Ferrell says to the distant gunfire, "Good luck, whatever you all are fighting about.".

I thought it was funny, and sad, but I found myself unable to define the the main characters. I can't help but compare it to In Bruges, and there I knew the characters well enough to understand their actions within the confines of how they were written. Ray or Ken might do something unexpected, but their actions serve the way their characters were written, or growing or changing. Here I almost felt like I was watching something unscripted, where I didn't understand what purpose the characters' actions were serving. Maybe that's part of the point? Or I just need to watch it a few more times.

I liked how Octavia divined the problem right in the beginning, and how Dominic was presented as a ready solution to the problem.

When Octavia said "Bad do," that took me out of the movie for a second for some reason.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

AvesPKS posted:

Did anybody else watch this with subtitles? I needed them for the first 15-20 min to understand the accents and then I was fine.

Nah but my wife stopped watching and left to do something else because she said she couldn’t understand what anyone was saying

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

Nah but my wife stopped watching and left to do something else because she said she couldn’t understand what anyone was saying

I just kept missing little things, like "anything," and Brendan Gleesons character having 3 first names. Also it felt like Colm Meaney should have been in this.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Great movie. Wasn't bleak at all in the way I was afraid it would be, and a lot funnier.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Adrianics posted:

I was ghosted by my best friend a few years back in much the same way as this movie, with him just one day making it clear he no longer wished to associate with me (but not until directly confronted) and as the weeks and months went on he started recreating our friendship groups and social gatherings without me.

It was completely loving devastating, put me on medication and led me to therapy that continues to this day.

More than anything else, it was hella cathartic to have such a situation - it used to drive me crazy that it just isn't given the same kind of consideration as, say, the ending of a romantic relationship - put on screen in a prestige movie and taken completely seriously. One of my favourite things about the story is that there's no hints of anything between the two men further than a strong, close and intense platonic friendship.

I have to imagine Martin McDonagh must have had something similar happen to him, it feels like such a unique story idea and I can’t think of anything else like it.

It seems like the opposite of what you usually would do in scriptwriting, your waiting for the shoe to drop and reveal the inciting incident and then it turns out there’s no twist of something that happened between them, it’s just one of them drifting apart, similar to in a breakup where one partner has been building up resentment and the breakup seems to come out of nowhere to the other party.

I’m glad the films doing well with the awards, I don’t remember In Bruge that much and need to rewatch it, and I enjoyed Psychopaths and Three Billboards but they definitely fell a bit into the Tarantino aping style of maximalism and just like throwing everything meta at the wall, this definitely feels like his most mature film.

I might be completely wrong about this but the only bit of the film that didn’t work for me was the Banshee woman. She seemed to be a heavy handed bit of symbolism in a film that was pretty grounded and didn’t need it. I dunno, maybe if she was slightly more normal rather than looking like a literal witch.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

AvesPKS posted:

I thought it was funny, and sad, but I found myself unable to define the the main characters. I can't help but compare it to In Bruges, and there I knew the characters well enough to understand their actions within the confines of how they were written. Ray or Ken might do something unexpected, but their actions serve the way their characters were written, or growing or changing. Here I almost felt like I was watching something unscripted, where I didn't understand what purpose the characters' actions were serving. Maybe that's part of the point? Or I just need to watch it a few more times.

I think that is deliberate - the movie's all about the doubt and fear and subjectivity of how we're perceived and what people think of us, and how slenderly we know ourselves (Padraic obsessing over whether or not he's a good man / happy lad, etc). It consciously avoids showing us certain scenes that would help us to make firm judgements about the characters and their decisions, and it avoids giving us too much of Colm's inner life in particular.

We don't hear the finished Banshees of Inisheirin, so we have no basis to judge whether it's any good or not (and therefore whether Colm's decision to stop 'wasting time' was worthwhile).

We don't ever see Colm and Padraic chatting as friends down the pub, so we can't know if Colm ever genuinely enjoyed the aimless chatting or if he was just enduring it. Or whether Padraic really is as tedious and dim in conversation as Colm claims he is (we get contradictory information on this - Padraic says some deeply stupid things, but he's also not an inattentive listener and repeatedly tries to engage Colm about his music. He's never shown as a motormouth who could just blather on for two hours without interruption - weirdly, that aspect of him seems to have transferred to Dominic by the time the film starts.)

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

precision posted:

i thought it was also possibly supposed to parallel the Irish/English troubles, Colm acts very Catholic High Church and Padraig is extremely low Protestant

Honestly I got this as well. "I just don't like ye no more."

And just so you get the point, I'm going to cut off pieces of myself and leave them at your doorstep.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

grobbo posted:

I think that is deliberate - the movie's all about the doubt and fear and subjectivity of how we're perceived and what people think of us, and how slenderly we know ourselves (Padraic obsessing over whether or not he's a good man / happy lad, etc). It consciously avoids showing us certain scenes that would help us to make firm judgements about the characters and their decisions, and it avoids giving us too much of Colm's inner life in particular.

We don't hear the finished Banshees of Inisheirin, so we have no basis to judge whether it's any good or not (and therefore whether Colm's decision to stop 'wasting time' was worthwhile).

We don't ever see Colm and Padraic chatting as friends down the pub, so we can't know if Colm ever genuinely enjoyed the aimless chatting or if he was just enduring it. Or whether Padraic really is as tedious and dim in conversation as Colm claims he is (we get contradictory information on this - Padraic says some deeply stupid things, but he's also not an inattentive listener and repeatedly tries to engage Colm about his music. He's never shown as a motormouth who could just blather on for two hours without interruption - weirdly, that aspect of him seems to have transferred to Dominic by the time the film starts.)

Yeah, while watching it the first time I kept wishing the story had started a day earlier, but after thinking about it more, I realized this would have made the movie weaker, somehow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
drat I'm gonna have to watch this for a third time right now

E: I think "I'm not trying to be nice, I'm trying to be accurate" might be a reference to Pratchett, viz "the nice and accurate prophecies of agnes nutter"

precision fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 20, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I felt that in the film, Colm was the obvious analog for the Protestant side of the war, while Padraic was the Catholic. There's the first and most obvious line where Padraic accuses Colm of sounding English, which is obviously the Protestant half. Secondly, it's Colm who gets into fights with the priest, not Padraic. Colm seems far more concerned with his belief and faith (be it in himself or in music or legacy) then in good acts, a staple of Protestant theology. Meanwhile, it's Padraic who just wants to be nice and adheres to ritual, such as the daily knock on the door or the proper burial for Jenny. It's also Padraic who predicts future conflict after the civil war seems to be winding down, accurately foreseeing the Troubles beginning a few decades down the line. But this is my very American interpretation, with my only knowledge of how Catholics and Protestants view each other across the pond coming through Monty Python's Every Sperm is Sacred.

As for Dominic, I assumed it was suicide. As others have mentioned, he said he had another thing to do at the lake after he was rejected, but let's not forget that earlier in the film, it was his father who reported the suicide at the lake to the shopkeeper. That's not conclusive evidence, but it's at least a bit of poetic justice and foreshadowing.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I've watched this movie twice now, and genuinely enjoyed it both times. Its beautifully shot and acted, but in some sense I feel its difficult to interpret. I feel the obvious metacommentary about the Irish Civil War to be shallow to the point of being uninteresting. I think mostly this movie is about Colm, the search for meaning in life and mental illess/existential angst. It seems to be Colm is preoccupied by his eventual death, and goes to great lengths to manufacture some sense of drama in an otherwise mundane existence. The setup is very unconventional and that drives the story forward in an unexpected manner, and I appreciate that the movie was true to its premise and characters all the way through the end. Its a very enjoyable watch, and to the poster who said he didn't want to be sad I would say that its worth a watch and didn't really strike me as a particularly sad.

Adrianics posted:

That sounds godawful and I hope you're alright.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I hope op burned the friends house down

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Burning his house down was such a specific promise: but guess yeah wasn’t going to hurt his dog, and couldn’t take away his music anymore.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Really liked this, but I did find it to be a little less satisfying and neat than In Bruges, which is one of my all time favorites. I almost find the allegory to the Irish Civil War a bit heavyhanded there at the end. But, so it goes.

One thing that I find interesting is that there are no children on the island. In fact, I'm not sure you see any romantic pairings in the film at all. There's a bleakness that runs through the whole island, there's no future here, only aging and death.

I don't think its quite right to say that there isn't a happy ending for anyone in the film - Siobhan escapes and seems by all rights to be happy and more fulfilled on the mainland. There's no way for her to find any future on Inisherin, but there is that possibility out there. I didn't interpret her crying to be about how she's been treated on the island, but about how she has to abandon her brother, who really can't take care of himself or live without her. But taking care of him holds her back.

And, in a sense, thats probably the same dilemma that Colm was in. Padraic is very kind and nice, but he also can't really take care of himself in anyway. Not just in a practical sense, though he can't cook, but he has no ability to emotionally support himself without those two in his life. Now thats a fuckin tragic dilemma to think of. Spending the rest of your life trying to support your friend/brother who is, genuinely, a nice person, but is a total manchild. Its a similar pairing between Padraic and Dominic, except in this relationship Padraic has the upper hand and has pity on Dominic. But pity can only take you so far.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I really enjoyed the movie and felt it used symbolism pretty deftly.

I think I might go and chop some gifs out of moments that stuck out to me.

But my partner and I were tense for a moment... the ghoul says there will be 2 deaths. The first is Dominic, and we're to assume that seeing Colm sitting in his home as it burns that he is inevitably the second.

But a remark Colm made to the priest, when the priest declared "Do you think God cares about the soul of a miniature Donkey?!", was "Well I think that's where it's all gone wrong, hasn't it?".

God does view the soul of an animal important, like Padraic values Jenny. Padraic is portrayed in the opening scene with a feckin rainbow, is shown walking with Mary looking over him - he's genuinely virtuous without piety - and Colm is only able to recognize that as a virtue as the film goes on when he reckons that Paedric's virtuousness is more rare than knowing music theory or being well read.

My partner and I put it together before the reveal with Colm on the beach. Colm and Paedric are going to be fine. The roles are reversed. Now, Colm is magnetic, and Paedric is in his depressive phase. They're going to do the same thing with each other. Colm initiating small talk, and Paedric smiling because he can't go it.

I mean Colm doesn't have anywhere to go, now, and Paedric has an extra bed.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

My favorite thing about BoI is that the movie tells you what it's gonna do, and then it does it. We're conditioned by media that anytime a character states a plan, the plan will go awry. But nope, Colm says he's gonna cut his fingers off, and he does. Pádraic says he's gonna burn down the house, and he does. It's refreshingly straightforward.

The movie asks the question, "what if a very depressed, very self-destructive man cuts off ties with his happy-go-lucky drinking buddy?" and by golly, it pushes that as far as it can go.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I'm not sure that I entirely agree with the 'This is a metaphor for the Irish Civil War" read - to me it felt more like the opposite, that the Irish Civil War is a metaphor for the relationship between these two men, a relationship that hasn't ended but instead continues on painfully and spitefully. Trying to explain why all this bad blood exists, this complicated history with no true hero or villain, where no one is completely justified even if you agree with them - and yet, there they are, still living on that same dreary island together. Even if you view the movie as Padriac being abruptly cut off by his best friend for no good reason, he's the one who intentionally does the worst thing in the movie by telling Declan his father is dying just to spite Colm. And if you view the movie as Colm trying to set a boundary for his own mental health, his self-destructive behavior and inability to reinforce those boundaries in a healthy way was going to end tragically even if he hadn't unintentionally killed Jenny. Neither of them can really let go of the past or forgive the other, but they still have to be neighbors, just like the rest of Ireland.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Dante posted:

That sounds godawful and I hope you're alright.

Ah thanks. An extremely difficult time I don't look back on fondly but was the catalyst my wife and I needed to make some overdue and significant life changes; we're much happier now :)

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
This movie has maybe the best dog performance I've ever seen. When Padriac came in and sat next to the shears, it really seemed like that dog was distressed.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
I’d say the movie invites you to think about how the story might compare to the Irish Civil War, and then implicitly how it might resonate with wars and conflicts in general, worldwide. But I don’t think this story is a full on allegory where every character secretly corresponds to a political party or something.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

No, we need to figure out which faction the donkey represents.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

She's a pony, which shows just how well you were listenig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

Mike N Eich posted:

One thing that I find interesting is that there are no children on the island. In fact, I'm not sure you see any romantic pairings in the film at all. There's a bleakness that runs through the whole island, there's no future here, only aging and death.

You see two kids, presumably brother and sister, when the cop punches Padraic out by his wagon. He walks away and pinches the boys cheek.

Totally agree about the bleakness of the island and all who live on it. Especially with it coming out that he messed with Dominic, which I assumes mean molestation