Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I'm not sure that I entirely agree with the 'This is a metaphor for the Irish Civil War" read - to me it felt more like the opposite, that the Irish Civil War is a metaphor for the relationship between these two men, a relationship that hasn't ended but instead continues on painfully and spitefully. Trying to explain why all this bad blood exists, this complicated history with no true hero or villain, where no one is completely justified even if you agree with them - and yet, there they are, still living on that same dreary island together. Even if you view the movie as Padriac being abruptly cut off by his best friend for no good reason, he's the one who intentionally does the worst thing in the movie by telling Declan his father is dying just to spite Colm. And if you view the movie as Colm trying to set a boundary for his own mental health, his self-destructive behavior and inability to reinforce those boundaries in a healthy way was going to end tragically even if he hadn't unintentionally killed Jenny. Neither of them can really let go of the past or forgive the other, but they still have to be neighbors, just like the rest of Ireland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU