Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Please. I would like to hear about the cool aliens, or fantasy guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The hives of the Serpent's Coils. Fairly typical queen/drones/workers/warriors setup. Workers and warriors can "transfer" their personalities through exchange of physical material. The interesting part is their reaction to learning that human beings can't do this and permanently die. They throw out all of the various traders and make a simple demand for reopening communication: One Ship.

The book itself... hasn't aged well but the interplay between fairly basic bug aliens and the human society that they cultivate is interesting.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I don't really understand, why do they want a ship?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Children of Time is about an experiment to uplift monkeys that goes wrong and gets abandoned for a few millenia; ending up accidentally creating a society of sentient spiders

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

habituallyred posted:

The hives of the Serpent's Coils. Fairly typical queen/drones/workers/warriors setup. Workers and warriors can "transfer" their personalities through exchange of physical material. The interesting part is their reaction to learning that human beings can't do this and permanently die. They throw out all of the various traders and make a simple demand for reopening communication: One Ship.

The book itself... hasn't aged well but the interplay between fairly basic bug aliens and the human society that they cultivate is interesting.

Which book is that? Googling 'Serpent's Coils' doesn't lead to anything that sounds similar. Who by?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
drat. Its Serpents Reach. I really should have waited until I had more time to write that post.

The book opens with two "historical documents." One about the importance of the the hive's exports to human civilization and how little they know about what goes on inside that quarantined nebula. The second one is about the history of the Kontrin family, the descendants of the one ship that answered the hives. The official reason given for the request is that the hives couldn't understand all these different concerns trying to trade with them.

So humans of the Kontrin company rules lawyered it with one ship full of human genetic material and growth vats. The crew of the ship became the head of a caste system, and were granted longevity and visible markings by the hive. The middle ranks are made up of relatively normal humans that are almost comically recognizable as contemporary middle class folks. The bottom ranks are "azi," grown humans with artificially shortened lifespans. If you guessed that the main character is part of the ruling Kontrin family and takes a little bit too long to comprehend the azi situation is wrong pat yourself on the back.

The reason I specify the "official" version is that multiple competing hives exist by the time the book starts. They seem to do a good job of working with their associated family and against their rivals. If it talked about being bewildered about subordinates having their own agendas that would track. I could also believe that the hives couldn't keep track of which human worked for which company without intrusive markings. Warriors are specifically mentioned as having an excellent "sense of smell" later in the book so it is more of a question of introductions. A more interesting theory involves mad spoilers about the end of the book:

The longevity given to the Kontrin family is roughly equal to the length of a queen's life cycle. Someone from the original crew is old and senile by the time 800 or so years have passed between the one ship and the end of the book. The end of the book revolves around the queens of the competing hives getting together and physically exchanging information. This has more in common with warriors physically extracting information from their foes than sex. Between the queens not actively controlling their hives and all the aggressive pheromones going around civilization as it was known is destroyed. My theory is that humans were chased from the planet as part of this natural swarming behavior. Since the queen(s) are sentient they decided to (keep things simple/can't handle more than that until new queens are hatched) in regards to reopening relations. Or maybe the original crew just thought it made for a better founding myth, they certainly set up other customs to their advantage.

For screwing up the original post and not just elaborating with "the author wrote the intro, then didn't update it after writing the rest of the book." I'll recommend Oyvind Thorsby's Accidental Space Spy. It gets a little bit too close to human society after the Castration Planet, but until then it certainly has cool cultures/biology.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Dirigible Behemothaurs are island-sized floating creatures/ecosystems that live within artificial worldlets of unknown origin called "Airspheres", gigantic orbs of atmosphere lit by small central suns. The Behemothaurs can live for aeons, and communicate via symbiotic messenger creatures they grow within themselves. It's unclear how they reproduce, but they are known to "mate" with other Behemothaurs, a process which involves the two merging to create a new, composite conciousness inside a now much larger form.

Look To Windward, by Iain M Banks posted:

Gossip amongst Muetenive and Yoleus' assorted populations of slaved organisms, symbiotes, parasites and guests indicated there was a good chance that Muetenive would dawdle for the next two or three days and then make a sudden maximum-speed dash for the air space just above the convection bubble, to see if Yoleus was capable of keeping up. If it was and they both made it, then they would make a splendidly dramatic entrance into Buthulne's presence, where a huge parliament of thousands of their peers would be able to witness their glorious arrival.

The problem was that over the last few tens of thousands of years Muetenive had proved itself to be something of an incautious gambler when it came to such matters. Often it left such sportive or mating sprints until too late.

So they might not make it to the appropriate region until the bubble had gone, and the two mega fauna and all their crawlers-inside, hangers-on and floaters-about would be left with nothing but turbulence or even - worse still - descending air currents, while the bubble rose upwards in the airsphere.

Even more alarmingly for those committed to Yoleus, given the fabulous, legendary reputation of the gigalithine lenticular entity Buthulne, the messenger birds reckoned it was going to be a particularly big bubble and that Buthulne was in the mood for a change of scenery, and therefore likely to position itself directly above the up-welling air, to ride it to the airsphere's upper reaches. If that happened it might be years or even decades before they encountered another gigalithine lenticular entity, and centuries - possibly millennia - before Buthulne itself hove into view again.

Yoleus' Invited Guests' Quarters consisted of a gourd-shaped growth situated just ahead of the creature's third dorsal fin complex, not far from its summit. It was inside this structure, which reminded Uagen of a hollowed-out fruit, albeit one fifty metres across, that he had his rooms.

Look To Windward, by Iain M Banks posted:

Airspheres migrated round the galaxy, orbiting once every fifty to a hundred million years, depending on how close they were to the centre. They swept up dust and gas on their forward-facing sides, and from their bases, every few hundred thousand years, they passed the waste that their scavenger flora and fauna had not been able to process any further. Droppings the size of small moons issued from globular impossibilities as big as brown dwarfs, leaving a trail of detritus globes scattered through the spiral arms that dated the bizarre worlds' first appearance in the galaxy to one and a half billion years earlier.

People assumed airspheres must be the work of intelligence, but really nobody - or at least nobody willing to share their thoughts on the matter - had any idea. The mega fauna might know, but - frustratingly for scholars like Uagen Zlepe - creatures like Yoleus were so far, far beyond the term Inscrutable that for all practical purposes the word might as well have been a synonym of Forthright, or A Simple-Hearted Chatterbox.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

StashAugustine posted:

Children of Time is about an experiment to uplift monkeys that goes wrong and gets abandoned for a few millenia; ending up accidentally creating a society of sentient spiders

The sequel is pretty cool too, with the sentient octopuses/octopodes/octopi. (The author uses all three forms interchangeably.) We're going on an adventure!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Groke posted:

The sequel is pretty cool too, with the sentient octopuses/octopodes/octopi. (The author uses all three forms interchangeably.) We're going on an adventure!

Neat I'll have to check it out, I was disappointed that they briefly mentioned sentient shrimp near the end but never really expanded on it, plus they never really had the humans interacting with the spiders.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Read Embassytown OP

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Glen Cook's Starfishers series has the titular starfish, which are space-dwelling critters composed of trace gases and patterns of magnetic fields.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mordja posted:

Read Embassytown OP

Embassytown's great, as an example of aliens where their considerable physical differences are nothing compared to their different mentalities (while still managing to be relatable individuals)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

StashAugustine posted:

Neat I'll have to check it out, I was disappointed that they briefly mentioned sentient shrimp near the end but never really expanded on it, plus they never really had the humans interacting with the spiders.

The sequel gives you more of what you want.

Also you get to go on an adventure!

(Also also there seems to be another sequel coming out later this month. Tchaikovsky is not always as good as in Children of Time but when he hits he's on fire.)

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
In The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell there are two intelligent species sharing the planet: predator and prey that developed intelligence as part of an evolutionary arms race.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
The moties from Mote in God's Eye

They look like... ewoks mixed with gremlins, in that they are fuzzy bear/bat things that goes horrible.

They are bi-laterally asymmetrical. One half has a big bat ear, and two spindly arms with many delicate fingers. The other half has no ear, and one huge super strong three fingered arm (the shoulder is so big it connects right to their head to make a curved hump shape).

Moties have a hyper-specialized biological caste system and are wicked good in their various fields. Engineers can build like, anything, on the fly, and can actually improve devices and technology they'd never seen before, immediately after being introduced.. Mediators can learn languages and mimic body ticks almost immediately. Warriors... well, they'd compete with any other sci-fi 'super soldier' you can think of.

But the big thing about moties is their reproductive cycle. They are hermaphrodites, or like, those frogs from Jurassic Park? I'm not sure of the correct term, nothing that applies to humans. They cycle from male to female, get pregnant and give birth, then back to male, and so on. But the thing is, if they don't get pregnant during the female portion they die.

So as you'd imagine they have a huge population control issue. Constantly and rapidly building up to unsustainable amounts, then society breaks down and they blast themselves back into the stone age in resource wars. They've even started building time-capsule museum bunkers for the next go around, or 'crumbling city remains' is a valid ecological environ that wildlife has adapted for.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

StashAugustine posted:

Children of Time was really cool but every time it was a human chapter I got really annoyed and just wanted more spiders. Who cares about humans. Give me hyper intelligent space spiders.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You are Non-Juffo-Wup, you cannot understand.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Two more examples: the Flouwen from Robert L. Forward's Rocheworld, and the bots from Hogan's Code of the Lifemaker.

And I guess basically every non-human character in the James White "Sector General" books, if you can get past how 1960s-y they are.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Madurai posted:

Two more examples: the Flouwen from Robert L. Forward's Rocheworld, and the bots from Hogan's Code of the Lifemaker.

And I guess basically every non-human character in the James White "Sector General" books, if you can get past how 1960s-y they are.

You can't just leave it at that. There is a whole book about a chef taking on the ultimate cooking challenge: making hospital food taste good. Comparatively easy for oxygen breathing carbon based lifeforms. Hard for the Hudlar who absorb nutrients through their skin.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Skroderiders (A Fire Upon the Deeps).

Picture a sapient potted plant on a robotic shopping cart.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Parahexavoctal posted:

Skroderiders (A Fire Upon the Deeps).

Picture a sapient potted plant on a robotic shopping cart.

How tf are you gonna mention A Fire Upon the Deep and not mention the Tines, one of the coolest alien species ever

They are sort of canine-like animals who are individually not much more intelligent than an animal but gain sapience and singular "identities" by forming small packs of 4 to 6 individuals. If they lose or gain members over time it will alter their personality and memories somewhat but they can essentially live for centuries by staggering the ages of their members and replacing older or dead individuals.

Highly, highly recommend AFutD in general, its prequel also has some really awesome spider aliens

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 20, 2023

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

free hubcaps posted:

How tf are you gonna mention A Fire Upon the Deep and not mention the Tines, one of the coolest alien species ever

They are sort of canine-like animals who are individually not much more intelligent than an animal but gain sapience and singular "identities" by forming small packs of 4 to 6 individuals. If they lose or gain members over time it will alter their personality and memories somewhat but they can essentially live for centuries by staggering the ages of their members and replacing older or dead individuals.

To be clear, Tines don't use telepathy or any such bullshit - they're essentially living acoustic modems.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the dinosaurs from We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I was thinking of Embassytown and A Fire Upon the Deep as soon as I saw the thread title...

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

free hubcaps posted:

Highly, highly recommend AFutD in general, its prequel also has some really awesome spider aliens

Agreed.

The sequel, however, sucks rocks.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Tree Bucket posted:

I was thinking of Embassytown and A Fire Upon the Deep as soon as I saw the thread title...

My problem with the Ariekei is that Mieville didn't really tell us what they look like.

"Before the humans came, we didn't speak. "

Was that really a lie?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I feel like any dive into any Warhammer/40k species is like settling in to watch "the Entertainment" from Infinite Jest. I have to backtrack so many times to figure out the various references, that I almost never finish the point of why I started in the first place.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Agreed.

The sequel, however, sucks rocks.

Holy poo poo why is it so boring? There are some moments that are genuinely exciting but it's a slog to get through for the most part. When the zones shift and OOBII starts working at full capacity, or when Ravna discovers the Skrode Rider had evolved and wound up in the tropics but overall it was just not very captivating. I like the idea of it all but it just fell flat for me. Seemed like a whole lot of set up without a satisfying payoff.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!
I guess I can contribute to the thread instead of commiserating about annoying sci-fi sequels.

One of my favorite series to date is the "Inhibitor Sequence" by Alistair Reynolds; with the first book, Revelation Space, being published in 2000.

Humans have pushed out into our corner of the galaxy using hulking light-hugger star ships that accelerate up to 95%+ of the speed of light. Relativistic time plays a big part in the stories and I think the author does a fantastic job of building a believable "hard" sci-fi universe in which these space operas play out. There are some aliens but most have gone extinct or are in hiding. We are the main characters of our blip in the (galactic) timeline.

One of the coolest (imo) parts of this universe are the Pattern Juggler worlds, and I'll just paste the description from the wiki about said entities:

quote:

The Pattern Jugglers are a widespread group of alien entities found on many planets and moons. They are colonies of aquatic microorganisms that form distributed consciousnesses, permeating the oceans of the planets they inhabit. Their name arises from their ability to infiltrate the bodies and brains of sentient organisms that swim within their waters, which allows them to store the neural patterns of an individual, impart knowledge from a previously stored entity, or swap the consciousnesses of multiple beings. Sometimes, especially after repeated exposure, a swimmer will be absorbed bodily by the Pattern Jugglers and simply dissolve.

They play their part throughout the series and add a nice briny flavor to the mix.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
The Martian Oubliette culture in The Quantum Thief was always a really interesting concept to me.

Mars was (I think) colonized, but then destroyed by weaponized nanomachines that evolved and got out of control. The last surviving colony on the planet is a giant walking platter city called the Oubliette. Half the population (or so) lives in the city, while the other half does a length of servitude fighting back nanomachine horrors and maintaining the forward city base so it can forever walk Mars ahead of the worst of the nano machine armies.

The people who live in the city have two interesting aspects to their culture. Since it's a transhuman galaxy, people's minds can be preserved, and bodies rebuilt so that people are essentially "immortal" (sort of in a Takeshi Kovachs sense). Also resources are precious, and the need for sapient minds battling the nanomachines a priority, instead of a culture of money for exchange, the Oubliette city has a relationship with time. Time can be invested, used to buy goods, services, etc. There are time wealthy people, and beggars in the street begging for time before they wink out of existence to go spend 50-60 years on the frontlines again. You can be fined time for malbehaviors, or have your sentence extended for service, and the population (aside from the time wealthy) is constantly fluxing back and forth.

The other aspect is that the Oubliette citizens have a large and powerful database of sapient human minds that's very valuable, and the creator of the city embedded powerful encryption protocols and personal data protections for the minds, memories, personalities, etc. The "digitized" minds of the people eventually grew a 6th sensory organ to access and manipulate mind data and privacy protocols called "gevulot". Gevulot allows people to share memories or branches of memories with others, like sharing data on Facebook, names, private info, etc. It also allows them to interact with the world in interesting ways and manipulate the gevulot of others (to the extent people allow it to be manipulated) like throwing up a "privacy screen", or blurring someone's appearance because they don't want to be seen at the time, most people would respect the request or allow it to alter their other senses because it's reasonable, etc.

Anyway, a lot of wild poo poo happens on Mars in the first book especially, and again later in the series, worth a read.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
A Surface of Fine Azure-Tinted Reflection With Pyroxin Dendritic Inclusions and its compatriots on the planet of Prism in Alan Dean Foster's "Sentenced to Prism."

Highly specialized, silicon based, organisms who help the fleshy human protagonist survive in the incredibly hostile planetary environment. One of them, a "surgeon," takes a look at human anatomy and says something like "oh, no. This is all wrong." And proceed to revamp the protag's guts to include a metabolic energy storage organ, replace the lenses in his eyes with (internally fabricated by the surgeon) replacements that will help him perceive the fractal geometry of the local flora/fauna, and discover an unused and nearly atrophied "universal" communication socket in the human brain.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

CaptainCrunch posted:

And proceed to revamp the protag's guts to include a metabolic energy storage organ

Isn't that what fat is for?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

OutsideAngel posted:

Isn't that what fat is for?

Sure? But this was like, “you don’t need to eat for a couple months” level efficiency.

Part of the fun of the Prism critters was just how aghast they were at how random and unorganized human anatomy was. “Why is no one fixing all of this?”

CaptainCrunch fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 9, 2023

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Alan Dean Foster's aliens are cool in general, the tran are pretty goofy but fun nonetheless

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

CaptainCrunch posted:

A Surface of Fine Azure-Tinted Reflection With Pyroxin Dendritic Inclusions and its compatriots on the planet of Prism in Alan Dean Foster's "Sentenced to Prism."

Highly specialized, silicon based, organisms who help the fleshy human protagonist survive in the incredibly hostile planetary environment. One of them, a "surgeon," takes a look at human anatomy and says something like "oh, no. This is all wrong." And proceed to revamp the protag's guts to include a metabolic energy storage organ, replace the lenses in his eyes with (internally fabricated by the surgeon) replacements that will help him perceive the fractal geometry of the local flora/fauna, and discover an unused and nearly atrophied "universal" communication socket in the human brain.

Along similar lines are the Multipliers of Ken McLeod's Engine City, furry eight legged monkey-spiders with mouths on the tops of their heads. They flick out spores from their fractal limbs which are small enough to inhale. From there they develop into tiny symbiotic organisms which take one look at their new home and start doing some renovations. The host gets bonus memories and thoughts from the countless predecessors of the parent Multiplier.

CatJamEnthusiast
Jun 26, 2023

One of the coolest races I have heard of are the "Soft Ones" and "Hard Ones" from the book The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov. I don't want to spoil much about it, but they are a kind of symbiotic entity which can't exist without the others, and knows and embodies the role required of it. Really fun read, quick too.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Starfish from Glen Cook's Starfishers trilogy

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
The Starfish from Peter Watt's Blindsight.

And yeah the aliens in The Gods Themselves are great.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

So, aliens right? Like Xenomorphs, from the Ridley Scott franchise. They have a queen, which lays a bunch of eggs. Then the thing that hatches from an egg is sort of an in-between development step, like a caterpillar or something. That thing then inserts the next development stage into an appropriate host via some orifice (the mouth, in the case of humans, but this doesn't preclude other orifices, if it had turned out differently they might have been called rear end-huggers, but I digress). That creature, called the Xenomorph, breaks free of the host body and skittles off, rapidly growing to human size or larger over the course of several hours. One of those creatures might be another queen, and so the cycle continues.
But, what fertilizes the eggs for the queen?
Or are they a purely parthenogenetic species?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The Queen is really an ex post facto explanation for how Xenomorphs reproduce. The original screenplay for Alien has one of the crewmembers turning into an egg. Pretty sure there is even cut footage of that scene online. The studio was being sued by Van Vogt on the basis that the movie was clearly based on part of his novel, The Voyage of the Space Beagle. The original beast implanted the eggs, parasitoid wasp style. The case was settled out of court.