Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Brazil - Group G

11/24- Serbia
11/28- Switzerland
12/02- Cameroon

The year is 2002. Brazil has just won its 5th world cup. It has been a particularly impressive decade for Brazil. WC winners in 94, runners-up in 98, and winners again in 2002. And this doesn't look like the end of an era, but rather the beginning. Of the 11 starters of the 2002 team, 7 are 25 or younger, and only 2 are 30 or older (Cafu, 31, and Rivaldo, 30). This is also the only team in history to include 4 players who would win the ballon d'or/fifa player of the year awards (Ronaldo, 25, Ronaldinho, 22, Kaka, 20 and Rivaldo, 31). To many, this seems like the start of a "dream team." Nike certainly treats it that way, giving Brazil the type of NBA inspired marketing campaign with the slogan "Joga Bonito." Betting sites have had Brazil as the favourites to win the world cup in every cup since then.

But, of course, this wasn't the start of a soccer dream team. Instead, it was the last time Brazil ever made it to a world cup final. It also marked the last time Brazil beat an European nation in a knock out round. Since 2002, Brazil has faced an European team in the knock out rounds 5 times. It has lost all 5 times. In those 5 games, it has conceded 15 goals and scored 3.

There are many reasons for this futility from the otherwise most successful nation in the history of world cups.

- The global fame and expectations of easy wins led to a number of players declining early due to partying (Adriano, Ronaldinho) or injuries (Kaka).
- The prestige of Brazilian players and their relative poverty led to most players with potential being sold early, frequently to joke leagues around the world. 2002 was the last time the majority of the Brazilian national team was based in Brazil. Brazil has been fairly successful at the youth level since 2002 (current u-17 world champions, u-20 world champions in 03 and 11, olympic gold in 16 and 20). But then a significant chunk of these players end up in the Ukrainian league, China, MLS, UAE and other joke leagues.
- This pressure to sell stars quick and make a quick buck has essentially destroyed coaching in Brazil. Once upon a time, it was common to see Brazilians coaching teams from all over the world. But with Brazilian teams playing 70 games a year and rosters rotating like crazy, Brazilian coaches are little more than confidence boosters. The best coaches in Brazil are Portuguese and Argentinean, and Scolari is still among the most successful Brazilian ones.

All this brings us to Qatar 2022. If Brazil does not win it all this year, it will tie the longest title drought (in terms of number of world cups) in Brazilian history.

The only reason pressure isn't higher on Brazil is because, since many Brazilian players heartily got involved in politics and supported Bolsonaro, support in Brazil for the national team is likely at an all time low. This brings us to the 2022 WC squad

Head Coach: Tite. Hugely successful in Brazil at the club level, Tite has been the manager of Brazil since 2016. Somewhat controversial with the old guard in Brazil, Tite prefers efficiency and a safe defense over flair and aggression. During the qualifiers, Brazil conceded just 5 goals in 17 matches.

The 26 players selected for the World Cup:

GKs: Alisson (Liverpool), Ederson (Manchester City) e Weverton (Palmeiras)
Fullbacks: Daniel Alves (Pumas) Danilo (Juventus) Alex Sandro (Juventus) and Alex Telles (Sevilla)
CBs: Bremer (Juventus) Eder Militao (Real Madrid) Marquinhos (PSG) and Thiago Silva (Chelsea)
Midfielders: Bruno Guimaraes (Newcastle) Casemiro (Man U) Fabinho (Liverpool) Fred (Man U) Everton Ribeiro (Flamengo) and Lucas Paqueta (West Ham)
Forwards: Antony (Man U) Gabriel Jesus (Arsenal) Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal) Neymar (PSG) Pedro (Flamengo) Raphinha (Barcelona) Richarlison (Tottenham) Rodrygo (Real Madrid) and Vini Jr (Real Madrid)

the likely starting formation is:

Alisson; Danilo, Marquinhos, Thiago Silva, Alex Telles; Casemiro, Fred, Lucas Paqueta; Raphinha, Neymar, Richarlison

Most of these players are well known, so I will just highlight a few:

The guy whose legacy is on the line:

Neymar, Neymarketing, or simply Ney. You know him, you probably hate him. This is likely the WC that will define his career. His stats are likely to end up the best of all time for Brazil. He is about to become the biggest scorer for Brazil (he has 75 to Pele's 77) and the most capped player in Brazilian history (he is at 121, Cafu leads with 142). But so far those have been the equivalent of empty calories: of his 75 goals for Brazil, only 1 was scored at a knock out game in either the WC or Copa America (first goal against Mexico in 18). 46 of those were in friendlies. If he fails to win the world cup, he will go down in history more famous for his off the field antics (campaigned heavily for Bolsonaro, several charges of tax evasion from different countries, dropped by Nike due to sexual assault allegations) than on the field.

The surprise:
Daniel Alves. Dude is 39, and is in such bad shape that he got dropped from his last Brazilian team, couldn't find any other team in Brazil to take him, and is now in Mexico playing under a performance contract where he is paid by game. Like, wtf.
https://twitter.com/paisoltaram/status/1589652884458962944

Where the talent actually lies:

Brazil's real strength is in its young trio of Raphinha, Lucas Paqueta and Richarlison. There is also some real clamor for Vini Jr to be on the starting 11.

IK Edit:
https://dubz5.com/uploaded/1669321895.mp4

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Brazil's best players are the arsenal ones OP. No one cares about a Leeds reject who went to a club run even less financially responsibly.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Tite apparently cares. None of the arsenal folks have started for Brazil recently, and first off the bench have been Antony and Vini Jr.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

those are a lot of very well researched facts that hide the truth that actually Brazil won for 50 years because of a wizard's spell, until one day a young boy in Leeds pointed at Roque Junior and said "fuckin' 'ell mum, he's dogshit, he is" and the spell was broken forever

he's a mod now

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
dani loving alves out of nowhere :wtc: lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Dani Alves lmao

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol dani alves what year is this

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Great OP, op. I believed in roque junior and Raphinha is an honorary good Leeds lad so will be nice to see him win the tournament/crash out in the quarters after neymar misses a penalty with a 20 minute run up routine

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I didn’t think Paqueta was so highly rated or such a core part of the Brazil setup. I can’t say that I follow all of West Ham’s games but it’s just surprising that someone from a bigger team doesn’t play ahead of him.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
no fagner, no bobby

smh

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Are washed Juve duo Alex Sandro and Danilo really the best Brazilian fullbacks?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Backdoor Delivery posted:

Are washed Juve duo Alex Sandro and Danilo really the best Brazilian fullbacks?

Guilherme Arana was likely going to be the left fullback starter but he blew out his knee and is out for at least another 6 months. Renan Lodi was the other option on the left, but he blew his chance when he couldn't enter Ecuador for refusing to get vaccinated, and then followed it up by doing this in the last Copa America final:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7u-ufZcEXU

On the right side, Brazil has been absolutely awful at producing fullbacks. Especially since Tite likes to have their fullbacks be good at defending (since he likes his wingers wide up front) and most of decent right fullbacks in Brazil are offense first defense last (like Marcos Rocha).

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lol if you don't think Dani Alves will be lining up at right back for Brazil.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Caio Henrique is pretty good, i guess he must not be on their radar

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
What is the over under on number of rolls Neymar performs at this world cup, thank you?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

tristeham posted:

Caio Henrique is pretty good, i guess he must not be on their radar

Tite likes to play with 3 forwards and 2 of them playing really wide, so the fullbacks are mostly there for defense and support only, so Tite is all about people who buy into his vision. Caio Henrique is considering playing for Spain, I believe.

builds character posted:

What is the over under on number of rolls Neymar performs at this world cup, thank you?

Hopefully just the once, like he did against Colombia in 14.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

a slow, mournful Fagner

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i would like brazil to fail due to not bringing Bobby Firmino

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

i would like brazil to fail because they are brazil

any chance for neymar to cry is good for the game imo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

i would like brazil to fail because they are brazil

any chance for neymar to cry is good for the game imo

:yeah:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I legit hope Neymar gets crippled or dies during this

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Plutonis posted:

I legit hope Neymar gets crippled or dies during this

It's cool that this subforum has been top level for all of a week and already getting posters like this

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

It's cool that this subforum has been top level for all of a week and already getting posters like this

Unfortunately the Brazil thread will attract Brazilians, yes

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Plutonis posted:

Unfortunately the Brazil thread will attract Brazilians, yes

Why does Neymar play if Brazilians hate him?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I don't think everyone hates him, though he certainly isn't as liked as the stars of old like Ronaldinho and Ronaldo, who were almost unanimously adored. A couple of things split people's opinions of him.

The first is an old split. In Brazil there is a big split between people who are primarily fans of local soccer teams and people who are primarily fans of the national team. People who are primarily fans of the national team probably have always like Neymar. But people who are primarily fans of soccer clubs saw him pampered and treated like royalty by refs while at santos and hated his antics before it was "cool."

The other is a newer one. Neymar went all out for Bolsonaro. Not getting into the whole politics here, but let's just say that Bolsonaro is a divisive figure. And neymar promised to dedicate a world cup win to him.

Personally, Ive disliked since before it was cool and it was a shame he wasn't there for the 7-1.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPENfIqZns

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

joepinetree posted:

I don't think everyone hates him, though he certainly isn't as liked as the stars of old like Ronaldinho and Ronaldo, who were almost unanimously adored. A couple of things split people's opinions of him.

The first is an old split. In Brazil there is a big split between people who are primarily fans of local soccer teams and people who are primarily fans of the national team. People who are primarily fans of the national team probably have always like Neymar. But people who are primarily fans of soccer clubs saw him pampered and treated like royalty by refs while at santos and hated his antics before it was "cool."

The other is a newer one. Neymar went all out for Bolsonaro. Not getting into the whole politics here, but let's just say that Bolsonaro is a divisive figure. And neymar promised to dedicate a world cup win to him.

Personally, Ive disliked since before it was cool and it was a shame he wasn't there for the 7-1.

Wasn't like half of the squad active Bolsonaro fans?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Someone list all the Bolsonaro supporters in the squad. This will be an integral part of my viewing experience when Brazil’s getting thrashed again.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Wasn't like half of the squad active Bolsonaro fans?

The issue was less supporting Bolsonaro, but how Neymar did it, recording a video saying he'd dedicate a win to Bolsonaro. Athletes with dumb political opinions isn't particularly noteworthy. But rarely do they make it so front and center.

This already in a scenario where the yellow jersey was the unofficial uniform of the Bolsonaro movement.

In any case, not trying turn this into a political discussion. Just explaining why a lot of Brazilians want to see Neymar get hosed

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 13, 2022

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That second richarlison score was loving beautiful

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

this needs to be on a fifa game

https://dubz5.com/uploaded/1669321895.mp4

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Plutonis posted:

this needs to be on a fifa game

Added to the OP

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

https://twitter.com/choquei/status/1595880959680937986

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Richarlison seems like an absolute twat on the pitch but that’s a nice goal and seems like a good lad off

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Richarlison is a legit good dude. People from his first club (America MG) always spoke highly of him and he always celebrated them despite them being a minor club.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

:discourse:

That’s all I got, perfect goal

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

It's good when good lads do well. Antony looked good when he came on too.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Brazil's best players are the arsenal ones OP. No one cares about a Leeds reject who went to a club run even less financially responsibly.

Raphina owns

A Buffer Gay Dude fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 25, 2022

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If we lose the number 10 albatross on our neck i think we legit have a shot at winning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Does he though???