Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Wouldn't have had Willie down as anti union tbh
Doesn't make sense because football parlance is strikers and NHL players get locked out besides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
Is Canada mathematically out? If they beat Morocco by 2 goals and Belgium loses to Croatia, Canada would be tied with Belgium and Morocco on 3 points and the first tiebreaker is group goal difference. If Canada beats Morocco by 2 goals then there's a chance.

I bet Croatia rests their starters and basically let Belgium win, though.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

jettisonedstuff posted:

Is Canada mathematically out?

They have zero points and two times have four. They done.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

jettisonedstuff posted:

Is Canada mathematically out? If they beat Morocco by 2 goals and Belgium loses to Croatia, Canada would be tied with Belgium and Morocco on 3 points and the first tiebreaker is group goal difference. If Canada beats Morocco by 2 goals then there's a chance.

I bet Croatia rests their starters and basically let Belgium win, though.

Morocco have 4 points.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
Ah gently caress I forgot croatia tied with morocco.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Jumping in late to say amazing OP, lot of good hustle and :effortpost: Sucks that Canada’s already out but they made it this year. We got our butts kicked in the desert, let’s be ready to take them on the tundra

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Hey Canada, rough result. You sure stuck it to them. But here's the poet laureate of the US to tell you how I feel about you not advancing while we are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lQW-FWMcBo&t=62s

Lots of love! See you in 2026!

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 30, 2022

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

habeasdorkus posted:

Hey Canada, rough result. You sure stuck it to them. But here's the poet laureate of the US to tell you how I feel about you not advancing while we are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lQW-FWMcBo&t=62s

You know, I was going to root for the US team because we're CONCACAF bros and everything but after this post I've decided to donate $500 to the Donald Trump 2024 SUPERPAC :byewhore:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
https://twitter.com/NGoloMatchday/status/1525437027616948225?t=egqw-H5xk_rd0t17QV4DmQ&s=19

:unsmith:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN/status/1598310964830650368?t=lAlr-4rzCHH82Jceb5tWbQ&s=19

Trotting out the b team

Lol Jonathan David on the bench

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Poor Eustáquio. Good decision to bench David, maybe gives him a wake up call

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I really hope the Canadians win, so I can walk home without getting trapped in a hooligan riot.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

MakaVillian posted:

It seems like the turning point in the tournament was losing Eustaquio. They were holding in it against Croatia until he went down in the first half, and then got mauled in the second half without him. Same thing in this game. Game just gets out of hand without him there to settle things down.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

MakaVillian posted:

wake up call for what though? the tournaments over after this game..

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Here lies Canada, at least Morocco scored for them

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Starsfan posted:

wake up call for what though? the tournaments over after this game..

2026. I mean it's great he's a top goal scorer in Ligue 1 but that doesn't necessarily translate to world soccer.

bub spank posted:

It seems like the turning point in the tournament was losing Eustaquio. They were holding in it against Croatia until he went down in the first half, and then got mauled in the second half without him. Same thing in this game. Game just gets out of hand without him there to settle things down.

Agreed

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 1, 2022

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

MakaVillian posted:

2026. I mean it's great he's a top goal scorer in Ligue 1 but that doesn't necessarily translate to world soccer.

Him shredding ligue 1 and struggling for Canada reflects much more poorly on Canada than ligue 1 my dude

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Him shredding ligue 1 and struggling for Canada reflects much more poorly on Canada than ligue 1 my dude

I think him sitting himself in the box several times against Belgium and being invisible against Croatia actually reflects poorly on him actually

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 1, 2022

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Well he had better get it together for 2026 then!!!

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

MakaVillian posted:

I think him sitting himself in the box several times against Belgium and being invisible against Croatia actually reflects poorly on him friend

Do you believe Messi’s fairly poor form for country and say, Kevin De Bruyne’s scoring and assist totals for country reflect poorly on them as players?

International football is haphazard and not to mention full of garbage wastemen and there’s nothing worse for a striker or creative player than being surrounded by a bunch of disjointed parts.

David is a great player he’s just not poised for success in something like the current Canadian national team.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Who said David wasn't a great player? He's been poor in these games, that's all I'm saying.

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 1, 2022

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
oh canada oh baby :canada:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Incredible just how bad Canada are

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Second half wasn't bad, team just looked completely unused to playing at the world cup. No killer edge

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Game of millimeters

Pleasure sharing this thread with you Canadamaniacs.

Onwards to 2026.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Would've been cool for Atiba to have scored the tying goal.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

i hope we get someone better at tactics to run things

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Here Lies Canada, They Officially Would Have Finished Last at The World Cup If it Wasn't For Qatar

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

Here Lies Canada, They Officially Would Have Finished Last at The World Cup If it Wasn't For Qatar

Finished last in 1986

2nd last in 2022

Progress

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I look at some of the other teams in the tournament that might have tied or won a game but genuinely played worse soccer than Canada in terms of generating possession, chances, shots.. expected goals :P the eye test.. whatever metric you want to use. I think Canada can be congratulated for at least going for it in all of their games even if they were completely outmatched by their opposition. Maybe that makes me a rube or a dumbass who doesn't understand the sport but I really don't think that they embarrassed themselves in this tournament, they easily could have had a better result against 2 of the 3 teams they played (and I think even the supporters and players on those teams would admit it).

They'll do better next time, count on it.. seems kind of like a certainty given how hosed and expanded the format is going to be next time plus the beneficial seeding due to being the hosts

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Well they may not have won, or even tied any game, but I had a good time cheering for the boys and look forward to do it again in 4 years. :canada:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I had an extra spicy Caesar last night, maybe if they had been available in Qatar they would have scored more.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

binge crotching posted:

I had an extra spicy Caesar last night, maybe if they had been available in Qatar they would have scored more.

FIFA hosed Canada again!

I had a good time with my Canada posting pals for these past couple weeks.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Can’tada

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

after some time to think about it, we did pretty good all things considered

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Azerban posted:

after some time to think about it, we did pretty good all things considered

I was half trolling a few Germans last night because we scored more goals on Morocco than Brazil, ergo we're a better team.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I mean, looks like we were in the real Group of Death now

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Bilirubin posted:

I mean, looks like we were in the real Group of Death now

Yeah seriously

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Alctel posted:

Yeah seriously

I swear if it's a Croatia/Morocco final they should make Belgium vs Canada for 3rd place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I'm proud of these lads for putting up such a fight against the Group of Death™